Are parents more overprotective nowadays? How has parenting culture changed so much?

I live in a semi rural suburban middle class neighborhood full of police, paramedics, and ex military. Most of them seemed real protective. I knew a parent who wouldn't let their teen daughter watch anything above a g rating.

It seemed like back in the 2000s kids and teens had a lot more freedom.

Back in the 2000s the jocks played games like these.

and the popular girls watched shows like these.

What changed?

I hope somewhere out there is a middle class family with with an Gears of War and GTA playing athlete son who plays both football and soccer that has a high GPA, a decent social life, and is on track to being accepted by a good college with the goal of being a scientist, businessman, or military officer and also have a daughter involved in sports who loves trashy romance novels, teen shows filled with love triangles, and a collection of high end Barbie dolls who is on the road to attending a good college with the goal of working in the corporate world or becoming a lawyer.
    Last edited by CmdrShep2154; 2019-06-25 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    I live in a semi rural suburban middle class neighborhood full of police, paramedics, and ex military. Most of them seemed real protective. I knew a parent who wouldn't let their teen daughter watch anything above a g rating.

What changed?

I hope somewhere out there is a middle class family with with an Gears of War and GTA playing athlete son who plays both football and soccer that a high GPA, a decent social life, and is on track to being accepted by a good college with the goal of being a scientist, businessman, or military officer and also have a daughter involved in sports who loves trashy romance novels, teen shows filled with love triangles, and a collection of high end Barbie dolls who is on the road to attending a good college with the goal of working in the corporate world or becoming a lawyer.
    really ? OC as example of good show of that time ?

and b) nothing happend . people are just more aware of garbage that is on TV and dont let kids waste time watching shitty shows.

When the OP was on his cheerleader spree we at least got some chicks in skimpy clothes, now we get shitty halo trailers and sitcom cast-posings.. what the fuck does that have to do with the topic?

I can tell you for a fact that parents today care about as much if not less about the shit their kids do than back then, because back then it was the TV that did the child rearing and they had at least to adhere to some broadcasting standards. Today it's youtube and what ever google spits out. Every generation has it's sitting hen type of parents that smother their children, you really should broaden your sample size, and no, reality TV does not count!

What is with your weird fetishization of teenage tropes?

What changed?

I hope somewhere out there is a middle class family with with an Gears of War and GTA playing athlete son who plays both football and soccer that a high GPA, a decent social life, and is on track to being accepted by a good college with the goal of being a scientist, businessman, or military officer and also have a daughter involved in sports who loves trashy romance novels, teen shows filled with love triangles, and a collection of high end Barbie dolls who is on the road to attending a good college with the goal of working in the corporate world or becoming a lawyer.
    What the hell are you talking about? First of all you talk about well educated people but your post is littered with errors, do you ever read over what you type? Second, you are a child, 2005 and 2007 references are hilarious, as if that was a long time ago. Third, on what planet do athletes with high GPAs also spend a lot of time gaming? Their time is spent on sports and study in that case.

The people in this forum is what brings me back again and again. You have your fanatic left wing in one corner and then the just plain odd ones like this guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some are. Some aren't. Juicy stories aren't about mundane parents and kids who are doing just fine. Don't believe the hype.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.