Poll: How good/bad were you?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How straight and narrow was/is your childhood/adolescence?

I've noticed a lot of people here taking REALLY pro 'follow the law no matter what' views, and shock at anything else. It makes me think I had a very different childhood than most people here.

For reference, I remember my friends and I getting suspended from school a handful of times, scoring alcohol and other minor drugs, stealing golf carts and otherwise fucking with obnoxiously rich golfers, fighting mall security, running from cops, etc. It also wasn't really unusual for people in my area, some a little worse, some a little better.

So, how good/bad were you?

I blackmailed a man in his 30s when I was 13. Made some $10,000 from him.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't get in trouble with the police, but I was a terrible student through middle/high school. I missed a lot of school (1-2 days per week, sometimes more) and my school excused it because I am physically disabled, which had nothing to do with why I missed school per se; by that I just mean that my absences weren't for medical reasons. I just didn't want to go because going to school made me miserable, I was ostracized from most everything/everyone, such that pretty much the only interaction I had with my peers was when I was being bullied on account of my disability. If it were any other student they would have 100% faced truancy charges/tickets/fines multiple times over.

Looking back, I am rather upset they never held me accountable because it was quite harmful to my future prospects.

Other than that, I never did anything troublesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I've noticed a lot of people here taking REALLY pro 'follow the law no matter what' views, and shock at anything else. It makes me think I had a very different childhood than most people here.

For reference, I remember my friends and I getting suspended from school a handful of times, scoring alcohol and other minor drugs, stealing golf carts and otherwise fucking with obnoxiously rich golfers, fighting mall security, running from cops, etc. It also wasn't really unusual for people in my area, some a little worse, some a little better.

So, how good/bad were you?
    Eh, somewhere between Ex-con and Dirtbag. Didn't go to jail, nor was I an asshole/dirtbag. Gentleman criminal? Haha.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I never caused trouble for my parents, i.e. I wasn't a delinquent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mildly bad until teen years, stealing shit, running from home. School was fun for me. So much bad shit to do around there. I was getting decent grades with minimal time and effort spent on learning which let me just skip days and be a total ass in classes. By the time teenage years hit, I was just partying all the time and doing worse stuff but never getting caught or charged with something. Mostly bar/club brawls / gang fights where the cops just ruffle you up a let you go with a fine at worst.

15+ Year Old Account
    There was nothing 'straight' or narrow about my adolescence ;P
    Here is something to believe in!

I prostituted myself in my teens, but, generally, it never affected people around me, it sometimes did affect their wallets though

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh straight and narrow. Or at least I'd try to be. I was never a rebel. I always felt it was nicer and better to get along and go along. The problem I couldn't.

I'd much rather settle to be one of the shiny happy perfect people, I never found it important to go against the powers that could make my life hell. Teachers, principle or other kinds of authority.

Shit I longed and wanted to be like everybody else.

I just wasn't wired or built for that. Hated groups of all kinds, I was an outcast and trouble because the only other alternative was to put up with abuse bullies and other assholes.

Once I realized the power and curse of that I learned how to navigate.

Rules don't make you safe. Rules are just barriers placed by other people who decided themselves who you are and what you should have.

Also that you can't trust 90% of people even if they think they mean well. The other 10% aren't going to tell you they will show you but it always cost something.

Your time, your mind and sometimes money. Rarely though but always know your value, the value of that around you and what a trade really means.

Vs liars and bullshit artist confused and stupid who will sell whoever and whatever they can to feed their vices.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    I was a good kid that did really well in school, but my parents fought all the time so my home life was a little rough. I lived way out in the countryside, which I hated. There were no stores or anything within walking distance so I couldn't really go anywhere to get in trouble. I didn't get a car until the last year of high school, and by then I'd rather stay home and play WoW all day with friends. I guess I sort of "rebelled" in the sense that I wasn't religious and I listened to a lot of hard rock/metal music that my parents didn't like lol.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Had pretty much a free reign as a young kid. Had several very, very close calls, which makes me think someone is looking out for me. Stole some toys from a store, got caught by the police, which only chewed my ass off at the age of 8. Skipped school classes often. Got shot at trying to steal a watermelon out of a field. Would bring mice to school to show to the class. Got chewed out by the teachers.

I never joined any gangs, did drugs or bullied or tried to hurt anyone however. Generally, during the summers, I was working the farms and would be too wore out after work to do anything much. And it is during the summer a lot of kids get into the most trouble I think. So overall, I was certainly not without faults and shortcomings.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I had complete freedom as a teenager and still never did alcohol, drugs, parties or anything bad really, just like now I was always focused on sports and improving myself in every way I can. Have never had a run in with police.

Never really had many friends or any romantic interests but I had no enemies either. My life sounds boring to most people I tell this lol, but i'm pretty happy albeit lonely sometimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't really live around anything worth getting in trouble over. It was a 20 minute drive to the nearest "town" and there was nothing to do there. They didn't have the "fun" drugs (just pot, meth and booze) and none of that interested me, and most of those people came across as assholes. My folks were good people and we did a lot of stuff together, boring family stuff sure but better than being high, arrested, or both.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Mom tried to keep me on the straight and narrow. Dad encouraged me to go out and have fun. He did not do the same for my sister, he encouraged her to stay on the straight and narrow. Our house was a sexist house.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

5+ Year Old Account
    I was always too afraid that something from my teen years would come back and bite me on the ass, so I kept a very low profile from like...13 to now, really. It was quiet, but not necessarily boring.

What is OG?

Only 3 things I did that weren't straight and narrow:
    - I slapped a good friend across the face once (she could really get on your nerves).
    - I stole some marbles from the toy shop.
    - I skipped class once, but only because everyone did. We watched an ice skating championship in our in-school movie theater. Everyone got in trouble, but me. We had to clean gum from underneath the tables and chairs, and from the schoolyard, and sweep it, but I was on good terms with the janitor that had to watch us, so he let me go home instead

So yeah. I wasn't much of a troublemaker.
    Last edited by Amerissis; 2019-06-24 at 02:19 PM.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Mostly good, I think?

I had to learn a few things the hard way in my teenage years, and I did a few things that my parents wouldn't have approved of. I got a friend who was 19 to buy me a pack of cigarettes when I was about 16. Of course, the first one I lit up turned me off from smoking for good, so I guess that was a good thing. I also drank my first beer (and a few more after that) at age 16. Had my parents known that at the time, I would've been in some shit. And yeah, they probably wouldn't have approved of some of the language I used when I was around friends.

That said, I feel like all of the "bad" stuff I did was fairly minor and normal for a teenager. I never got in trouble with the law or used drugs or such (the beer/cigarettes mentioned above were as far as I went in that direction), and aside from occasionally butting heads with my parents (which I'd say is fairly normal for a teenager), I always got along with them.

edit: if it counts, I stole a 25-cent pack of chewing gum from a pharmacy when I was like 6. My mom caught me, drove me back to the store, and made me return the gum and apologize to the clerk. So my thieving career started and ended within a span of about 30 minutes.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-06-24 at 04:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was in JDC from 8 till 19.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    edit: if it counts, I stole a 25-cent pack of chewing gum from a pharmacy when I was like 6. My mom caught me, drove me back to the store, and made me return the gum and apologize to the clerk. So my thieving career started and ended within a span of about 30 minutes.
    I did the exact same thing to the exact same response from my mom. I don't know how I thought my dumb ass was going to get away with OBVIOUSLY chewing gum around the house when we clearly hadn't bought any, but...six, and all.