Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Can't believe Nuggets blew a 1-3 lead.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Can't believe Nuggets blew a 1-3 lead.
    Inconceivable!

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    God Lebron finishes the game with 38/16/10 to get back to the Finals. 9th Finals in 10 years. Pretty goddamn gangster. And people said the West was too competitive and Lebron wouldn't be back. I guess it really helped that the Clippers choked, to be honest, and that GSW is still injured.

I'm not gonna lie, tonight was the first time I really even partially watched a Lakers game and I forgot Dwight Howard was on the team.
    Yeah, this is the easiest path through the West anyone has had in years. That said, since they lost to the Mavs in 2011 or so, Lebron's teams always win the series they are supposed to win. He's just always a problem for the other team.

He's clearly regressed at this point, you wonder how long he's going to keep it going. This might well be his last year in the Finals.

God Lebron finishes the game with 38/16/10 to get back to the Finals. 9th Finals in 10 years. Pretty goddamn gangster. And people said the West was too competitive and Lebron wouldn't be back. I guess it really helped that the Clippers choked, to be honest, and that GSW is still injured.

I'm not gonna lie, tonight was the first time I really even partially watched a Lakers game and I forgot Dwight Howard was on the team.
    Even with GS healthy and the Clippers still in it, LeBron was likely to make the finals, it would have just taken a game or 2 more. I don't want to say GS is done, they'll still be a good team, but with Durant gone, Green completely fallen off, a lot of their veteran set pieces gone, they just won't be near where they need to be to be a threat. Clippers, have a shit ton of work to do, they are less of a team and coming apart at the seems daily, and they need a real PG/Playmaker. Next year will be a different story, Jazz, Nuggets, and Mavericks are going to be even more hungry and definitely looking to improve their teams in big ways this off-season. And the Suns are probably going to be in a position to bump out a team from the post season. And much like the Mavs, the Suns are probably a team you don't want to face in the first round considering they'll have another year on Ayton, another year on Book, and that whole dynamic with a Rubio run offense was new to that year. They'll be looking to make trades and make it ugly.

I'm partially watching the game. It blew my mind how many random 3s these teams are taking.

I'm partially watching the game. It blew my mind how many random 3s these teams are taking.
    Modern nba.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

This is an exciting game. The score is really close.

- - - Updated - - -

Boston really ducked up. Heat got some good points near the basket and got up 10, and Boston played hero ball and literally the past five possessions have been random 3s.

When I joined heat had just went up 8, quickly turned into 17.
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Always the bridesmaid, never the bride for this Celtics team in the past few years.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Boston is poorly coached. Brad Stevens is okay but if that was Pop, there would've been way more solid plays and egos would've been put in check. No random 3s to try to come back from being down like 7 with 5 minute left.

If you combined 5 Celtics into Enes Daniel Wanamaker-Williams III, here's the statline you get:

53 minutes played, 4-7 FG, 11 points, 1 assist, 16 reb, 0 blocks, 0 steals, 8 fouls. That's 5 of the 10 players that played in the game!

Meanwhile, every single Heat player did something with the exception of one guy who played 5 minutes. Their lowest producing starter was Crowder with 9 points, 6 rebs, 2 blocks. Their two bench guys combined for 34 points in 63 minutes.

There are no other teams at this stage of the playoffs playing so many guys who just aren't bringing anything to the table. The Nuggets' starters could all score and they were bringing Porter and Mason off the bench (and would have had Grant but he had to start). The Lakers bench includes Rondo, Morris, Caruso, and Howard, all guys who have produced at various points as needed.

The Celtics have 4 good scorers, and Smart, who is inefficient but they like. Fine. But you can't just keep giving these other guys empty minutes, you have to find some way to incorporate them into the team. Before tonight, Wanamaker had 12 shots in 76 minutes. Theis had 29 in 157 minutes. The only recent team like that that had success was the last Warriors title team, and they had 2 MVPs and Klay.

The Celtics were playing 3 on 5 on offense for basically the whole series if you factor in Smart.

They are certainly a more talented team than this Heat team, but they just didn't play like a team. I don't think it's the players, I think that the coaching staff hasn't figured out how to maximize them.
    Last edited by Scrod; 2020-09-28 at 02:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    I don't think it's the players, I think that the coaching staff hasn't figured out how to maximize them.
    That's the thing. I said it last night but this Celtics team is poorly coached. No real coach would let their team take random 3s like that. I get defense is good so things might shift up a little, but it barely looked like the Celtics (and sometimes the Heat) were running plays that they had thought of before hand and practiced. It was more like they were just professional basketball players who had played together before and received some form of coaching. Very mismanaged.

You compare this to a god-team that does mesh well together like the 2014 Spurs and they liked 3s, yeah, but they had plays and positioning and passing to get the open looks they wanted. Didn't feel like that with the Celtics.

Always the bridesmaid, never the bride for this Celtics team in the past few years.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Boston is poorly coached. Brad Stevens is okay but if that was Pop, there would've been way more solid plays and egos would've been put in check. No random 3s to try to come back from being down like 7 with 5 minute left.
    Their big scorers have been inconsistent is the big issue.

Its awesome when Tatum drops 28 in a half, but if he had 5 or 10 in the first half and the game is won. Issue just isn't him, but being as good as he is, its highlighted with him. That and Bostons bench feels weak, a big secret to Miami's success is the bench pouring in 30 or 40 a game.

Hmmm. I'm gonna call Lakers in 6. I think Heat is good but Lebron and LAL will step their game up to elevate. (I don't think these Lakers are THAT much better than the Heat.)

lol Sure Brad Stevens is a bad coach. Y'all have no idea.

Celtics bench is partly inexperienced and partly just not as good as other teams benches. We have NO offense off the bench, unless you could Hayward coming off the bench and Smart starting us getting offense off the bench. Hayward was just out of sync though after his injury, which has been the story of his Celtic career, being injured and being out of sync due to having been injured.

In a magical fantasy land where Hayward didn't get injured these playoffs, I would have considered this Celtics series loss a bad one, but we were basically playing with 5 good players and a mediocre bench all playoffs, which meant that any time players needed a breather that the Celtics would invariably suffer.

Doesn't help that the team played like ass in crucial moments, but they might not have needed to if they had played better when bench players came on.

We'll see what the offseason brings, but I suspect not much will change, given the Salary cap situation in the league.

I'll call Lakers in 5. I think the games will be close, and the series is going to be a lot more competitive than a gentleman's sweep normally entails. I think Lakers counter Heat on every aspect, but the Heat don't exactly counter the Lakers.

The Lakers have surprised me with their ability to morph defensively into what's needed against a given team and they certainly have the edge offensively with Lebron and AD.

I think the key to this series is Bam vs AD. Whoever wins that match up, wins the series.

It;s Bam's play that has propelled the Heat so far, not anyone else's. He's what makes the Heat go. If the Lakers can put AD on him and force Miami to play less through Bam, and have Bam be less of a dominant factor against the other team's big, then the Lakers will win.

On the other hand, Bam has been so good this playoffs that it wouldn't surprise me if he takes on the challenge of guarding AD and still gets his buckets and offensive flow on the other hand as well. And then the Lakers might be in serious trouble, cause I don't think Lebron at 35 is good enough to still carry the full load AND make up for AD being less of a factor.

I'll give the edge to the Lakers, until the first game has been played.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    lol Sure Brad Stevens is a bad coach. Y'all have no idea.

Celtics bench is partly inexperienced and partly just not as good as other teams benches. We have NO offense off the bench, unless you could Hayward coming off the bench and Smart starting us getting offense off the bench. Hayward was just out of sync though after his injury, which has been the story of his Celtic career, being injured and being out of sync due to having been injured.

In a magical fantasy land where Hayward didn't get injured these playoffs, I would have considered this Celtics series loss a bad one, but we were basically playing with 5 good players and a mediocre bench all playoffs, which meant that any time players needed a breather that the Celtics would invariably suffer.

Doesn't help that the team played like ass in crucial moments, but they might not have needed to if they had played better when bench players came on.

We'll see what the offseason brings, but I suspect not much will change, given the Salary cap situation in the league.
    I don’t think he’s a bad coach but I think he learned from these playoffs that he has to give his bench guys more run in the regular season. Popovich and Nurse have always figured out how to get a lot of their bench guys, and Lebron is good at it too.

I think the top 5 Celtics have gotten accustomed to playing hero ball and haven’t worked to get those other guys doing something.

Finals begin tonight. This 9 PM start time is really late...7 PM would've been perfect.

Close game. Glad butlers ankle wasn’t serious.

Me a few minutes into the game: Oh hey looks like the Heat might make this a series!

Me 30 minutes later: Oh that's too bad.