Page 12 of 73 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pendulous View Post
    seconds before tip-off, the jazz/thunder game was called, and it seems like they're sending every home (so not a quarantine). No news yet as to why, but virus speculations are always in the forefront. Notably, rudy gobert and emmanuel mudiay were out with a sickness, and gobert made it a point to treat it as a joke.

- - - updated - - -

gobert tested positive for covid, nba season is over https://twitter.com/shamscharania/st...033444864?s=21
    broooo what?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Seconds before tip-off, the Jazz/Thunder game was called, and it seems like they're sending every home (so not a quarantine). No news yet as to why, but virus speculations are always in the forefront. Notably, Rudy Gobert and Emmanuel Mudiay were out with a sickness, and Gobert made it a point to treat it as a joke.

- - - Updated - - -

Gobert tested positive for Covid, NBA season is over https://twitter.com/shamscharania/st...033444864?s=21
    NBA season is not over, it's just suspended for the time being. Expect fan-less games next week.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    NBA season is not over, it's just suspended for the time being. Expect fan-less games next week.
    Might be longer, given the 2 week symptomless transmissionable time. It's proably easier to just shut the whole thing down than juggle schedules with who interacted with who.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    Expect fan-less games next week.
    No way. This epidemic will continue to grow over the next few weeks. This is just the start and if people everywhere don't start treating it more seriously it's going to be a long time before things get back to normal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Scary. I attended the game on Monday, and woke up today with a cold. No fever or anything, but I'm wondering if I should get tested...I also live right next to Provo, where other cases have been confirmed. :O

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    Scary. I attended the game on Monday, and woke up today with a cold. No fever or anything, but I'm wondering if I should get tested...I also live right next to Provo, where other cases have been confirmed. :O
    Aren't you also a heath care worker aiko?

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    If you have symptoms you shoukd be tested unfortunately we don't have that many kits so gl with that and try to self quarentine as much as you can.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Might be longer, given the 2 week symptomless transmissionable time. It's proably easier to just shut the whole thing down than juggle schedules with who interacted with who.
    Honestly ending the season is too much of a nightmare I think. You're gonna have fans of some of these top teams rioting over being "screwed out of a championship" (can confirm that's already happening here in Wisconsin), and the question becomes what do you do about player contracts? Do you roll them over and have a lot of guys trying to force their way out via trade? Do you have contracts expire and now guys like Giannis need to make a decision on if they stay or go without proper information?

I suspect worst case they cancel the rest of the regular season and then play the playoffs as it stands now without crowds.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Well...I have grandparents who live in Florida so normally this would benefit me but...I'm not going into a sports arena with 20k people...

That's kind of weird though. I get they want closure. Idk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Well...I have grandparents who live in Florida so normally this would benefit me but...I'm not going into a sports arena with 20k people...

That's kind of weird though. I get they want closure. Idk.
    There's not going to be any fans in the stands though, so not like going there would do you any good. They are there cause they are in quarantine.

Fun fact: Teams that make the Finals will have been locked inside that Disney complex for something like 3 months, without being able to leave for anything.

I just looked up the rules: https://www.nba.com/nba-returns-2020-faq

Interesting. It might be cool to have like an entire Disney hotel available to you for the whole season.

It was clear when the NBA secured that huge deal with TNT or w/e and they started giving out $200 mil contracts that they were huge. I also think the NBA is probably more popular with younger people looking at sports (besides those clearly being raised into sports) than the NFL is. (I have no data to back that up. I'm guessing based on social media trends that NBA players have a way huger following on Instagram.)

I'm not sure if it surpasses NFL just yet.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't realize but they have the schedule up. https://stats.nba.com/schedule/#!/?rfr=nba&BC=NATL

- - - Updated - - -

It seems like no games are overlapping with each other. I like that. Less teams and fewer but higher quality games is what I thought the NBA should've been doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Celtics beat the Blazers, after giving up a 24 point lead. Playoff atmosphere and game play. GREAT 4th quarter by both teams.

Jaylen Brown was amazing, 16 of his 30 points in the 4th. Glad to see Jayson Tatum back in his groove too. Game leading 34 points and some key plays on both ends along the way.

Getting excited for the playoffs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gave up On the Jazz's first game in the third quarter, only for them to come back and win. And then get stomped by the Thunder, Lakers next, don't have high hopes. No Bogey giving 20-ish points a game is rough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Gave up On the Jazz's first game in the third quarter, only for them to come back and win. And then get stomped by the Thunder, Lakers next, don't have high hopes. No Bogey giving 20-ish points a game is rough.
    I was doing HearthPwn stuff all evening, so game against the Heat was already on when I tuned in and we were down 10. Took me about 5 min to figure out that Celtics were having one of THOSE games where nothing works and I bailed on it.

Smart fouled out in the 3rd quarter, and yet we somehow got it back to within 3, but still lost. Celtics having one of the worst defenses in the enitre bubble right now, which is utterly out of character and something they need to fix pronto.

Next up Brooklyn Nets, which is whatever, we should win that even if it is a back to back, and then Raptors, but that game has kind lost any meaning with the Raptors being undefeated and Celtics already losign 2 more games. If anything that game now matters cause it might give the Heat a legit chance to overtake us in the standings.

We'll see what happens, but uneven start to this bubble life for the Celtics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tonight's Celtics game against the Raptors was exactly the kind of bounceback the Celtics needed from their lackluster performances so far. Played with great intensity and effort and good defensive effort lead to being in flow on the offense too.

Alround great game.

I'm checking out the standings, now. Washington Wizards 0-5 KEKW.

I don't really understand how the fuck the seeding works. There's 8 seeding games but there's also regular season records. Which one is more important?

Phoenix Suns are 4-0 in the bubble but 30-39 for the season. LAL is 2-3 in the bubble but 51-17 for the season. ??????? Doesn't seeding end next week.

I don't really understand how the fuck the seeding works. There's 8 seeding games but there's also regular season records. Which one is more important?
    These games are just extra regular season games. They count the same as the regular season games already played and get added to the same overall season record tally. It will rely more on win % than actual W/L record in the end to settle the cases where teams didn't play the same number of games, but that % will come from the previously played games + these 8.

The play-in series is the only major difference, and that's likely only going to happen in the Western Conference since the Wizards are 7.5 games back of the 8th seed and would need to finish within 4 games of the 8th seed to even force a play-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritters154 View Post
    These games are just extra regular season games. They count the same as the regular season games already played and get added to the same overall season record tally. It will rely more on win % than actual W/L record in the end to settle the cases where teams didn't play the same number of games, but that % will come from the previously played games + these 8.

The play-in series is the only major difference, and that's likely only going to happen in the Western Conference since the Wizards are 7.5 games back of the 8th seed and would need to finish within 4 games of the 8th seed to even force a play-in.
    Ohhh. So 90% of the games on right now are pointless.

I was watching bits of a few games and I thought the quality was really low. Without the audience cheering when shots go in it's not as fun (I guess that's also to be expected of regular season where there aren't high stakes). And they played so many damn commercials, it was more commercials than gameplay. I found it hard to get into. And it wasn't even like the final 2 minutes.

I guess the NBA is trying to pump up revenue via ads since obviously merchandise sales are down, ticket sales are non-existent, and they missed a large portion of revenue since the games weren't on TV, but goddamn it wasn't what I would consider premium content.

Ohhh. So 90% of the games on right now are pointless.
    Yeah, pretty much. Some of the games are fun, particularly those involving teams vying for 8 and 9 in the Western Conference since whoever finishes in those two spots will have a play-in game (or 2 games, if the 9th place team wins the 1st game) to determine who gets the actual playoff spot.

The Eastern Conference doesn't have the same situation for their own final playoff spot though. The Wizards are mathematically eliminated from being able to even force a play-in game after losing 5 straight. The Charlotte Hornets, a team that wasn't even invited to the bubble, is actually fewer games back of the 8th seed at this point.