Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    We'll see pretty soon who the holdouts are with these shenanigans. We already know Kyrie and Wiggins and Isaac aren't vaccinated, and Bradley Beal made comments today that make it pretty clear that he probably isn;t either.

According to that Rolling Stone article there's "multiple" Celtics players not vaxxed either. Not sure who that might be, but I know Jayson Tatum is vaccinated at least and so is Marcus Smart. Jaylen Brown said it was a personal decision for everyone, which can be taken either way.

I just hope that whoever has not taken the shot yet does so soon so we have a full team ready for when the season starts in earnest in a few weeks.
    Meanwhile, the NHL is looking at close to 100% vaccinated players as they head into their season.

Players who are forced to miss games due to the executive orders governing vaccination requirements in both New York and San Francisco will not be paid for any games they miss.

"Any player who elects not to comply with local vaccination mandates will not be paid for games that he misses," Mike Bass, the NBA's executive vice president of communications, said in a statement Wednesday morning.
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...d-players-play

I know Media Day and early Training camp are used to hype up the fan base and that EVERYONE looks great, but man, can't help but get excited for the upcoming season.

Leaguewide no one seems to really count on the Celtics for anything, and that's absolutely perfect, cuase that's usually when the Celtics overperform and play well.

Can't wait

I know Media Day and early Training camp are used to hype up the fan base and that EVERYONE looks great, but man, can't help but get excited for the upcoming season.

Leaguewide no one seems to really count on the Celtics for anything, and that's absolutely perfect, cuase that's usually when the Celtics overperform and play well.

Can't wait
    Word is they got their own Kyrie contingent. Hopefully that doesn’t hurt them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Word is they got their own Kyrie contingent. Hopefully that doesn’t hurt them.
    Not quite. We do have reportedly more than 1 player not vaxxed (from a Rolling Stone article) but it's not Jayson Tatum, it's not Jaylen Brown, it's not Marcus Smart, it's not Al Horford. So basically none of our supposed core starters/leaders.

Which means it's some of the other roster guys, which honestly is not much of a concern to the team. Wouldn;t surprise me if they got released or traded if they were that adamant.

I'm also fairly sure they'll fall in line beforelong, cause there's pretty severe restrictions on not being vaxxed and they'll get sick of it soon enough (pun intended).

I'm just excited to see the splash brothers back in action together again this year. It's been too damn long.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Celtics looked great tonight against the Raps in pre-season. They are still getting used to new line ups and more passing emphasis and turning the ball over too much, but with some time to gel, this team is going places.

The only thing that bemuses me is how the Celtics for some reason seem to never have everyone play well at the same time, and really peak. Wrong time for it right now obviously, but it;s still clear that some players are really locked in and playing well already while others are still very much in pre-season/off-season mode.

This was especially clear with Jayson Tatum who was just not quite there yet for most of these pre-season games until he made a string of baskets and set the tone in the 3rd. He was promptly benched for the rest of the game, so it migth have been deliberate to "turn it on" for his last burst and then rest the rest of the game.

Coach Udoka has said that he'll rest some starters for one of the games, so it will be interesting which game he picks for that.

I don't know if you guys have been checking out the Bulls pre-season, but they are a big problem. They are playing beautiful effortless basketball and they've only been together for 2 months.

Nets GM came out and said Kyrie can either get the jab or get fucked. He’ll be away from the team until he grows up and takes his medicine.

This Miami Heat team is extremely hateable. Kyle Lowey is a flopping pest. Tyler Herro has a punchable face and delusions of grandeur. Jimmy Butler is just an asshole, and not the lovable kind.

Butler had had some run ins with Dennis Schröder during the game and then decided to first lock his arm up so Schröder couldn't change position, then when Schröder wriggled free and stayed in the area, Butler stepped back on Schröders foot, and just kept standing there, for like 5 or 6 seconds, before the play moved on and Butler pushed off on that foot and moved away.

Schröder vaguely tried to trip him when he moved away and got Schröder a flagrant, and he definitely shouldn;t have, but that Butler action was just ridiculous and I cannot believe the refs let him get away with it and put everything on Schröder.

I had to sports hate Miami anyway, but stuff like this make me just regular hate them.

- - - Updated - - -

Celtics lost by 20 to Miami, but don;t let the score fool you, this game was close for 3 quarters, until Miami finally went on a little run in the end of the 3rd and extended in the 4th. But Celtics were playing without 4 of their Top 6 players while Miami was and played at full strength. HUGE win for the Celtics back ups and their struggle to get minutes during the regular season.

Especially our 2 young wings, Langford and Nesmith have looked good defensively, but have been surprisingly good as offensive players too. Not just the 3s while standing still and waiting for Tatum to pass out, but creating their own shots and going at the rim, against NBA starters and early bench players. If these 2 can continue this in the regular season, the Celtics migth have a luxury problem of too many good wings for the available playing time.

But that's it for the pre-season for the Celtics. Bring on the regular season and the Knicks!

Man... there is some ugliness going on with The Suns right now and I almost can't blame them;
    Suns refused to extend Ayton, which sounds terrible on paper but...
    I think we need a little context here. Max for Ayton is 173m for 5years, and if he gets the All-Star game, that jumps to 200ish for 5. That's more than D Book is making. As great as Ayton is and could be, he isn't better than Book and will never be more valuable... I'm big on Ayton, I've been championing his skill set for a few years now BUT.... In the Sun's defense not extending him makes him a Restricted Free Agent, the max a team could offer him at that point is 4 years 127m which is significantly less than the max extension on the table.
    I don't want to say it's good business, but it sort of is. He's an RFA, Suns can retain him for less than a full extension coming from them. So the Suns have him for this season and basically next season, and if another team offer him 2-4 years, they can match that and will keep him for another 3 to 5 seasons, all for less than a rookie max extension. But it sounds shitty, because I like Ayton and I think the Suns should keep him with Book, but then you look at the Kyrie or Simmons, or any other player that's been forcing their way out of teams and well... I get it, both sides are shitty to each other right now.

I'm just pleasantly surprised by the play of the Warriors so far. Pre-season Finals odds only put the "super-team" Nets and Lakers above Golden State, with the Bucks more or less a push. With Iggy back in the fold and Klay finally set to return sometime around the end of the year, the Warriors are going to more closely resemble their 2014-15 Championship team, but with an awful lot of really good young talent as well.

Should be fun to watch.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    I'm just pleasantly surprised by the play of the Warriors so far. Pre-season Finals odds only put the "super-team" Nets and Lakers above Golden State, with the Bucks more or less a push. With Iggy back in the fold and Klay finally set to return sometime around the end of the year, the Warriors are going to more closely resemble their 2014-15 Championship team, but with an awful lot of really good young talent as well.

Should be fun to watch.
    Coming from someone who's been watching the team with pedigree and really good young talent: It can be a bumpy ride.

It's worth it, but it can be frustrating too when you lose like 3 games in a row in mid January cause the young guys all couldn't step up.

Young guys are just inconsistent as hell.

But, there's also going to be games where a few of them put it together at the same time and then *fireworks*.

- - - Updated - - -

The Simmons Drama is something else.

Sixers couldn't trade him cause he had indicated that he wouldn't come back. Then they started docking his pay for not showing up, so he showed up to get his moneyu but was disinterested and refused to really actually participate. So now today the Sixers suspend him for a game (docking him a pay check again one assumes) so now the ball is in Simmons' court again to either truly show up and play or to just go without the money.

My bet is that he throws a fit and refuses to show up again for a while, losing more money and creating more drama. He's such a fucking baby.

Coming from someone who's been watching the team with pedigree and really good young talent: It can be a bumpy ride.

It's worth it, but it can be frustrating too when you lose like 3 games in a row in mid January cause the young guys all couldn't step up.

Young guys are just inconsistent as hell.

But, there's also going to be games where a few of them put it together at the same time and then *fireworks*.
    The particular beauty of the Warriors style of play is that it's somewhat resilient against that kind of breakdown. It's an assist-heavy offense that focuses more on ball movement skills and getting the open look, and doesn't necessarily rely as much on play-making iso ball. But for that kind of role, they have Curry, who arguably has the best ball-handling skills in the NBA (especially if Kyrie is off in anti-vaxx land instead of playing).

The biggest worry with a lot of younger players on the Warriors roster is their defense, but they still have Draymond and Igoudala to lock things down. And Klay coming back should obviously elevate both the offensive and defensive sides of play.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar

The Simmons Drama is something else.

Sixers couldn't trade him cause he had indicated that he wouldn't come back. Then they started docking his pay for not showing up, so he showed up to get his moneyu but was disinterested and refused to really actually participate. So now today the Sixers suspend him for a game (docking him a pay check again one assumes) so now the ball is in Simmons' court again to either truly show up and play or to just go without the money.

My bet is that he throws a fit and refuses to show up again for a while, losing more money and creating more drama. He's such a fucking baby.
    And he's torpedoing what little trade value he had by reinforcing the view that he's a quitter, which was the view that got him on the trade block to start with.

His options are basically down to "Shut up and play" or "Sit out the year and hope the Sixers get so fed up they release him next year."
    WoW has Cancer. First you cut out the cancer (abusive devs), then you assign an aggressive treatment plan (major design rework) to save it.

Or you just let it die because that's too expensive.

FFXIV - Crystal Datacenter

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    And he's torpedoing what little trade value he had by reinforcing the view that he's a quitter, which was the view that got him on the trade block to start with.

His options are basically down to "Shut up and play" or "Sit out the year and hope the Sixers get so fed up they release him next year."
    There's no releasing a player in the NBA. Sixers would be on the hook for his entire remaining salary. They could try a buyout in theory, but there's no way the Sixers let him go for nothing. They'd just as soon trade him to the Kings for pennies on the dollar than get nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, Giannis heard y'all say the Nets were the better team just after he beat them to win a title and he's like "I'mma prove 'm wrong. Again."

He looks locked in already in game 1.

Also, Giannis heard y'all say the Nets were the better team just after he beat them to win a title and he's like "I'mma prove 'm wrong. Again."

He looks locked in already in game 1.
    It hasn't even been a full quarter yet, lol.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

There's no releasing a player in the NBA. Sixers would be on the hook for his entire remaining salary. They could try a buyout in theory, but there's no way the Sixers let him go for nothing. They'd just as soon trade him to the Kings for pennies on the dollar than get nothing.
    The 76ers can waive him. They would still owe him money but he wouldn't be on the roster. A team can pick him up within 48 hours and just take his contract, or after 48h he will become an unrestricted free agent, but continue to be paid by 76ers. The Sixers can ask for waiver amnesty which would remove his contract from their salary cap, but they would still be paying him.

I'm on the fence with this situation, Simmons is acting childish, but the Sixers as an organization threw him under the bus, so they have the comeuppance coming as well. I also get the feeling they never shopped him properly for a trade by asking ridiculous things for him. Honestly I think they look like clowns for declining to entertain the Harden trade last year, Harden made them a finals team.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    The 76ers can waive him. They would still owe him money but he wouldn't be on the roster. A team can pick him up within 48 hours and just take his contract, or after 48h he will become an unrestricted free agent, but continue to be paid by 76ers. The Sixers can ask for waiver amnesty which would remove his contract from their salary cap, but they would still be paying him.

I'm on the fence with this situation, Simmons is acting childish, but the Sixers as an organization threw him under the bus, so they have the comeuppance coming as well. I also get the feeling they never shopped him properly for a trade by asking ridiculous things for him. Honestly I think they look like clowns for declining to entertain the Harden trade last year, Harden made them a finals team.
    The Sixers have since the beginning of Simmons' career tried to work on his shooting ability. And all these years later he's not improved an inch. For someone with Simmons' draft status, contract, and ability in other facets, that is just pointing to him not putting in the work.

Look at Giannis. He's been poor at the free throw line in the past, but he;s taken this as a challenge and done something every year, including this year after winning it all, to improve in that area.

Simmons has shown NOTHING like this. So I can totally understand the team and his fellow players being fed up with it. He;s being paid like a superstar and he wnats to be treated like it. Well, then fucking ACT like it too, and take the game seriously.

I mean, as a Celtics fan this is all fine with me. Let the Sixers have the distraction and let management and Simmons eat eachother and make the situation worse, but as a basketball fan it annoys the shit out of me that we are responsible for making these guys multi millionaires and they treat it like they can just be petulant children and divas.

It's that kind of behaviour that helped get me away from European Football at the height of the player empowerment era there, and I don't want to see that situation play out in the NBA.

Look at Giannis. He's been poor at the free throw line in the past, but he;s taken this as a challenge and done something every year...
    That's... not a good example. Giannis' FT% is still horrible, and it's gotten worse lately.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils