Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ...
28
36
37
38
39
40
... LastLast
  1. #741
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    The Sixers have since the beginning of Simmons' career tried to work on his shooting ability. And all these years later he's not improved an inch. For someone with Simmons' draft status, contract, and ability in other facets, that is just pointing to him not putting in the work.

    Look at Giannis. He's been poor at the free throw line in the past, but he;s taken this as a challenge and done something every year, including this year after winning it all, to improve in that area.

    Simmons has shown NOTHING like this. So I can totally understand the team and his fellow players being fed up with it. He;s being paid like a superstar and he wnats to be treated like it. Well, then fucking ACT like it too, and take the game seriously.


    I mean, as a Celtics fan this is all fine with me. Let the Sixers have the distraction and let management and Simmons eat eachother and make the situation worse, but as a basketball fan it annoys the shit out of me that we are responsible for making these guys multi millionaires and they treat it like they can just be petulant children and divas.

    It's that kind of behaviour that helped get me away from European Football at the height of the player empowerment era there, and I don't want to see that situation play out in the NBA.
    Counter-point: Maybe Simmons just can't shoot. And honestly at this point who gives a shit. Hes a dpoy, one of the best passers in the league, one of the best pace pushers, dangerous in transition, nearly impossible to stop on drives even though he is technically a bit shit at finishing...
    Sixers have also done nothing for Simmons even though they say they have. They remove shooters from the team, continue to clog the lane with Embid and Harris. Its not a shock he is a beast when Embid is out...
    You bring up Giannis, but Giannis has been in the league 4 years longer and 4 years ago Giannis was a bit shit when it mattered... he was also a shit shooter always. Not to mention, should we get on Giannis for his meh passing and iffy ball handling too?

    Let's be real here, Sixers are a joke and have been for years, if anything they over achieve considering their shit management. They need to swallow their pride and find a home for Simmons that will allow to thrive.
    Like I said though, Simmons is acting ridiculously for a professional, and the situation is clearly beyond fucked.

  2. #742
    Legendary! PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    6,590
    I love that the opening day "preview" for the NBA featured both super-teams... losing.

    Even if it is to the teams ranked 3 and 4.


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  3. #743
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    I love that the opening day "preview" for the NBA featured both super-teams... losing.

    Even if it is to the teams ranked 3 and 4.
    I dont really think there are any super teams right now. Nets played really sloppy and needed iso ball to stay in it. Bucks cooled off massively after a hot start as well. Just the iso ball makes the Nets dangerous though. Lakers are a super team 8 years ago, right now they look about as good as expected to be honest. To be fair to GS, their pace they ended last season at was that of a 60win team, they are getting better and better. Lakers still look like 6-8 seed team though

  4. #744
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    26,198
    End of this 3rd Quarter in Celtics-Knicks has just been 1 ugly offensive and defensive possession after another, mostly ugly offense leading to just transition buckets for NY.

    It's mostly bench players + Jaylen though.

    Hoping that when the starting 5 is in in the 4th that these things stop happening. Celtics have outplayed the Knicks when the starters are in.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Yeah, transition defense is just utterly terrible with this bench unit. They are in the wrong place constantly.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Ugh. So many careless mistakes. Smart just completely overthrowign Tatum for the 2nd time this game to just lose possession. Just when we got a stop and a score the possessions before.

    - - - Updated - - -

    This game got closer at the end than it had any right to be. Knicks really fucked that up under pressure. But they got it straight before their 10 point cushion ran out. Should be game over with a 4 point difference with 9 seconds remaining.

    - - - Updated - - -

    LMAO OMG. The Knicks utterly fucked that up.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Took double OT but the Knicks finally strung enough plays together to win their home opener. And this was with the Celtics and Tatum in particular playing like shit.

    GG Knicks.

  5. #745
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Snip.
    I watched some of the Knicks game, but it looked awful. Julius Randle is one of the oddest players in the NBA, he doesn't look or play like he should be making anything, but somehow the ball goes in for him.

    I switched over to the Indiana-Charlotte game and that was amazing, felt like a playoff game atmosphere. Duarte who I will forgive everyone for not knowing, picked 13th in the draft, dropped 27pts in his NBA debut. Really a great game all around.

  6. #746
    I'm liking my young Spurs team.

  7. #747
    Legendary! PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    6,590
    What the hell happened to the Bucks tonight?

    I guess PJ Tucker is laughing, though.


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  8. #748
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    26,198
    Phoenix Suns owner might be getting Sterling'd. He's already set up a massive publicity attack on the report and it's not even out yet. That probably means the report is true.

    Funny how he has money to spend on this but not on his team.

  9. #749
    Moderator Crissi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    31,586
    At least Silver has balls of steel dealing with owners. Goodell could take notes.

  10. #750
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    26,198
    I was annoyed at the half that Celtics weren;t blowing this bad Houston team out, but things got better in the 2nd half and I came to realize that Jalen Green is going to be a problem. Singlehandedly kept the Rockets in it and the score at least somewhat respectable.

    My other takeaway from this game and from the start of the season in general is that Celtics are VERY lucky that they have Al Horford back. The man is the only one that's played well all 3 games so far and even though his shot was off this game, he was probably still the most important Celtic not named Jayson Tatum.

    I'm also warming up to Dennis Schröder. His relentless drives to the basket gives the Celtics a jolt they need on offense, something that puts the defense in trouble and leads to easier buckets. He's still a pest outside of direct basketball related things, but at least on the court he's making the Celtics a better team.

    - - - Updated - - -

    This will probably be an ugly game for the Celtics. 2nd leg of a back to back, players out, been inconsistent and dealing with installing new systems from the new coaching staff.

    But who knows. Crazier things have happened in the NBA.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Schröder has fucking kiiiiiiiiiiilled us this game. So many missed shots and bad plays. I can understand havign a cold night from 3, a few Celtics have had that today, but he's missed bunnies and short mid range shots and just straight up lost the ball.

    If Tatum doesn;t get back in the game soon we are just going to lose this because the gap gets too big and there's no offense without him right now.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Well Celtics were down 10 with 5 min to play and won by 11 in OT. Special special performance down the stretch by this team. Wasn't exactly pretty, but if they can defend all the time like they did during that stretch, then they'll start winning games more comfortably than having to duke it out in OT.

  11. #751
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    26,198
    I have high hopes for tonight. Celtics looked like they were putting it together last game, and they are at full strength minus Romeo Langford. They kind of just need to win these type of home games against teams that are less talented than them and preferably not struggle while doing it.

    I'll settle for a win without over time though.

    - - - Updated - - -

    That was just about the worst half of basketball the Celtics have played so far this season. Both offensively and defensively. Like last game never happened. Unbelievable.

    - - - Updated - - -

    It didn't get much better in the second half. New coaching staff, new front office, bunch of new players, bunch of returned good players, and the same damn lacidaisical and uneven and inconsistent damn Celtics.

    Not sure why I keep expecting them to maintain momentum between games, cause it's not happened since before the Bubble season.

    And the thing is that they show you even in their bad games that they are better than this, but going on runs and having stretches where they look like world beaters. And yet time and again there's slow starts to games and whole quarters where their defensive intensity just disappears and whole halves where they just play without any kind of plan on offense beyond chucking up a contested ISO shot because they never really got into a set play or didn;t execute it well enough to get the desired action out of it and have no other choice but to chuck it up cuase there's zero movement or cutters or any action.

    The flashes give me hope though that this coaching staff will diagnose the issues and start rectifying them and that this will turn into a season of not individual but TEAM growth. Lord knows this team needs it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    At least we're not the Lakers I guess. xD

  12. #752
    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Man... there is some ugliness going on with The Suns right now and I almost can't blame them;
    Suns refused to extend Ayton, which sounds terrible on paper but...
    I think we need a little context here. Max for Ayton is 173m for 5years, and if he gets the All-Star game, that jumps to 200ish for 5. That's more than D Book is making. As great as Ayton is and could be, he isn't better than Book and will never be more valuable... I'm big on Ayton, I've been championing his skill set for a few years now BUT.... In the Sun's defense not extending him makes him a Restricted Free Agent, the max a team could offer him at that point is 4 years 127m which is significantly less than the max extension on the table.
    I don't want to say it's good business, but it sort of is. He's an RFA, Suns can retain him for less than a full extension coming from them. So the Suns have him for this season and basically next season, and if another team offer him 2-4 years, they can match that and will keep him for another 3 to 5 seasons, all for less than a rookie max extension. But it sounds shitty, because I like Ayton and I think the Suns should keep him with Book, but then you look at the Kyrie or Simmons, or any other player that's been forcing their way out of teams and well... I get it, both sides are shitty to each other right now.
    It's funny how teams' ability to pay their own guys more, with the salary cap, seems to hurt teams when they try to resign their own guys. In the NFL there was always the idea of the "hometown discount" where guys signed extensions somewhat earlier at slightly lower amounts, in the NBA it seems like there's a "hometown premium".

  13. #753
    Quote Originally Posted by Coniferous View Post
    It's funny how teams' ability to pay their own guys more, with the salary cap, seems to hurt teams when they try to resign their own guys. In the NFL there was always the idea of the "hometown discount" where guys signed extensions somewhat earlier at slightly lower amounts, in the NBA it seems like there's a "hometown premium".
    NFL contracts blow my mind most of the time. Those guys get very little in the way of guaranteed money, one injury and they are getting paid 25% of what they should in a year, and the team keeps raking in the money the whole time.

    NBA's returning veteran/star premium is almost certainly entirely due to small market teams getting to keep big players (cough* Bucks and Kareem type situation), you also have to take into consideration that teams have more of a hard minimum salary for the whole team where the NFL has one, but because a lot of the contracts aren't guarenteed, they might not pay players their full "on the books salary" and will be under that cap.

    Where I think the NBA is getting out of control with "player empowerment", I feel the NFLPA needs to go a lot harder on the NFL for their players.

  14. #754
    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    NFL contracts blow my mind most of the time. Those guys get very little in the way of guaranteed money, one injury and they are getting paid 25% of what they should in a year, and the team keeps raking in the money the whole time.

    NBA's returning veteran/star premium is almost certainly entirely due to small market teams getting to keep big players (cough* Bucks and Kareem type situation), you also have to take into consideration that teams have more of a hard minimum salary for the whole team where the NFL has one, but because a lot of the contracts aren't guarenteed, they might not pay players their full "on the books salary" and will be under that cap.

    Where I think the NBA is getting out of control with "player empowerment", I feel the NFLPA needs to go a lot harder on the NFL for their players.
    The reason the NBA’s small market teams pay more is because they have to - the max contract is higher for signing your own free agent than someone else’s. It’s kinda weird that big market teams who can convince free agents to come are prevented from paying as much as the team you start on.

    Regarding guaranteed contracts - meh. Both leagues guarantee that players get around 50% of revenue. If someone gets hurt in the NFL and gets cut, the money they would have made goes to other players who actually play. Since it’s not like these guys are paupers, I kind of prefer that because it leads to less nonsense of expired contracts being passed around or franchises devastated for years by a single catastrophic injury. And the nfl has guarantees if you negotiate for it, the signing bonus is guaranteed.

  15. #755
    Quote Originally Posted by Coniferous View Post
    The reason the NBA’s small market teams pay more is because they have to - the max contract is higher for signing your own free agent than someone else’s. It’s kinda weird that big market teams who can convince free agents to come are prevented from paying as much as the team you start on.

    Regarding guaranteed contracts - meh. Both leagues guarantee that players get around 50% of revenue. If someone gets hurt in the NFL and gets cut, the money they would have made goes to other players who actually play. Since it’s not like these guys are paupers, I kind of prefer that because it leads to less nonsense of expired contracts being passed around or franchises devastated for years by a single catastrophic injury. And the nfl has guarantees if you negotiate for it, the signing bonus is guaranteed.
    I understand the pay difference i was saying that a reason for the returning player contracts being higher was likely to drive team empowerment for small market teams. Easier to resign a player if they are going to make 10% more, even if the team is small market. The reason why players leave even though they'd get larger contracts is tied to things like jersey sales and advertising, ie Kawhi Leonard in San Antonio (granted you could make the argument that was just his excuse to force his way out. But I'm sure he was tired of doing commercials for piggily wiggly as well)

  16. #756
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    26,198
    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    I understand the pay difference i was saying that a reason for the returning player contracts being higher was likely to drive team empowerment for small market teams. Easier to resign a player if they are going to make 10% more, even if the team is small market. The reason why players leave even though they'd get larger contracts is tied to things like jersey sales and advertising, ie Kawhi Leonard in San Antonio (granted you could make the argument that was just his excuse to force his way out. But I'm sure he was tired of doing commercials for piggily wiggly as well)
    I think at some point the player salaries also get so absurd that it's easy for them to say they'll take 10% less and be in Miami or California and still be fabulously wealthy, and as you say with more attention to their brand with more chances for better advertising.

    Giannis is a real one in that regard, sticking with the Bucks.

  17. #757
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I think at some point the player salaries also get so absurd that it's easy for them to say they'll take 10% less and be in Miami or California and still be fabulously wealthy, and as you say with more attention to their brand with more chances for better advertising.

    Giannis is a real one in that regard, sticking with the Bucks.
    Ohh 100%, and to be fair to Giannis, he is becoming the biggest thing since LeBron, he can go anywhere and fans will follow.

    Its a bit ironic that the Bucks are the initial team to get fucked over by "player empowerment" with Kareem and now they have Giannis who is leading the charge of getting it done with your franchise. I'd argue Lillard is at the top of that list, LeBron is also there, he is a real one going back to Cleveland even though he already experienced how little they would do for him.

  18. #758
    Anyone else thrilled by the early returns on the James Harden Rule? All the bullshit artists who've been ruining the league with flopping - Harden, Doncic, Young - are off to bad start because they can't get nonsense foul calls anymore so they have to actually play the game.

    Harden's free throw rate is half of what it was last year, and 35% of its peak. Doncic and Young have both seen their rates drop by about a third. And all three are also struggling to score from the field without the threat of drawing nonsense fouls that they've built their game around - Harden's EFG% is down to .442, Doncic is .494, and Young is .485. Without the ability to bait fouls, all three have become bad players.

    I'm hopeful that they hold the line (but they won't). It's just nice to see validation that these guys are bullshit artists who have been ruining the game with their "step back then jump forward and throw up hands" game.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Ohh 100%, and to be fair to Giannis, he is becoming the biggest thing since LeBron, he can go anywhere and fans will follow.

    Its a bit ironic that the Bucks are the initial team to get fucked over by "player empowerment" with Kareem and now they have Giannis who is leading the charge of getting it done with your franchise. I'd argue Lillard is at the top of that list, LeBron is also there, he is a real one going back to Cleveland even though he already experienced how little they would do for him.
    The big difference between Giannis and Lebron is the Bucks actually created a competitive core around Giannis. The Cavs had NOTHING on their roster when Lebron left - making it even more incredible that he led that team to 60 wins. The year after he left they were by far the worst team in the NBA, 29th in offense and defense, after being 6th and 7th the year before (and basically only losing Lebron). Young Lebron was more incredible than almost anyone remembers.
    Last edited by Coniferous; 2021-10-29 at 07:21 PM.

  19. #759
    Legendary! PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    6,590
    Quote Originally Posted by Coniferous View Post
    Anyone else thrilled by the early returns on the James Harden Rule?
    YAAAASSSSSS!

    I believe I've mentioned a time or three how much I hate the flopping "fauxls".

    As far as Harden's possible productivity going forward, I'm reminded of this post:
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    That's okay. Harden will just take over lead defender duties.

    ...

    ...

    ...



    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  20. #760
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    26,198
    Double OT loss. Again. Season is 6 games old and Celtics have been in 3 OT games.

    also:

    "The Celtics just went 2 of 26 from 3 in their loss at Washington. That’s tied for the second worst 3P% by any team ever (min. 25 3PA)."

    When it's not the defense that's failing, it;s the offense.

    Early season, new coaching staff, new defensive strategy, I know but, we can't keep playing games like this or it will kill the team.

    Praying we can get some continuity the next few games and not this Jekyll and Hyde stuff.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •