Page 50 of 60 FirstFirst ...
40
48
49
50
51
52
... LastLast
  1. #981
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    26,647
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Oh, man, the Suns just lost to the Pels in Phoenix. Booker left the game with a hurt hamstring, so who knows if/when he's coming back in the playoffs. I don't know that I expected the Suns to sweep the Pels, but I didn't expect them to lose a home game.
    HUUUUUGE consequences in the West with Booker's injury. Hamstrings linger and ALWAYS take more time and coming back from them early almost always reaggrevates them and makes for an even longer absence.

    Suns are in trouble if they can't figure it out without Booker for this series.

  2. #982
    I'm no fan of Kyrie's antics and personality off the floor, but fining him for responding to a hostile Celtics crowd seems like an uneven punishment. Short of fining the Celtics for their fans behavior... the message seems to be take the abuse and like it when you fine a player for *gasp* giving them the finger in a pretty casual manner.

    It's been 3 years Celtics fans, boo him, but let it go.

  3. #983
    Elemental Lord PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    8,931
    What a finish to the Sixers/Raptors game. I didn't think Embiid had a chance with that shot.

    Also happy to see the Nets fall to 0-2.


    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    I'm no fan of Kyrie's antics and personality off the floor, but fining him for responding to a hostile Celtics crowd seems like an uneven punishment. Short of fining the Celtics for their fans behavior... the message seems to be take the abuse and like it when you fine a player for *gasp* giving them the finger in a pretty casual manner.

    It's been 3 years Celtics fans, boo him, but let it go.
    If you flip off the crowd, no matter the perceived justification, you're gonna get fined.


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  4. #984
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    What a finish to the Sixers/Raptors game. I didn't think Embiid had a chance with that shot.

    Also happy to see the Nets fall to 0-2.



    If you flip off the crowd, no matter the perceived justification, you're gonna get fined.
    I don't disagree, but the league does nothing to curb fan behavior and it's not like Kyrie is egregiously standing on the scoring table while flipping them off, he's just kind of giving them the bird. We see and hear much worse from just regular advertising and news, it's either a two sided punishment, or none at all, let it play out.

  5. #985
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    What a finish to the Sixers/Raptors game. I didn't think Embiid had a chance with that shot.
    After Doc Rivers pulled one of his patented "Joel figure it out or take a three if you can't" plays on their last possession before the end of regulation (when they had plenty of time to run something). Ugh.

    Tobias the sneaky winner there in freeing up Joel. But unbelievable that a 7 ft, 280 lb man can nail a turn and shoot 3 with .9 on the clock--and you feel really good about putting him in the spot to do it. It feels like every game he's bailing himself out with one of these; this one just being quite a bit more clutch.

    He won't win the MVP--but he's my MVP at least, hah.

  6. #986
    Quote Originally Posted by Espo View Post
    After Doc Rivers pulled one of his patented "Joel figure it out or take a three if you can't" plays on their last possession before the end of regulation (when they had plenty of time to run something). Ugh.

    Tobias the sneaky winner there in freeing up Joel. But unbelievable that a 7 ft, 280 lb man can nail a turn and shoot 3 with .9 on the clock--and you feel really good about putting him in the spot to do it. It feels like every game he's bailing himself out with one of these; this one just being quite a bit more clutch.

    He won't win the MVP--but he's my MVP at least, hah.
    It's either him or Jokic and honestly there is a strong argument either way. The biggest argument of his value to his team, yeah Nuggets without Jokic are below the Lakers, but that's not saying that the 76ers without Embid wouldn't be a play-in team either, even with Harden.

    And let's not forget Giannis, if he played in NY or LA, he'd be the easy favorite, I think his market hurts him as much as Jokic not really having high quality help and Embid having to deal with what seems like limitless 76er drama.

  7. #987
    Scarab Lord downnola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Made in Philly, living in Akron.
    Posts
    4,511
    Jokic is an extremely efficient player and has the vision and passing chops to get the ball to anyone, anywhere. He plays as if he's a point guard in a center's frame and can score from anywhere on the court and pulls down a ton of boards. Get him the ball near the rim and he'll skyhook it in with ease.

    Joel is a monster on both sides of the ball. He's a dominant scorer in the paint, mid-range, and perimeter. He's also the defensive anchor for the Sixers and is an imposing force at the rim. Not only does he fill the role of a traditional big but he also has the footwork and finesse of a guard. Some of his moves are eeriely similar to Kobe and Jordan despite being a 7ft+, 280 monster.

    If I was going to pick one for MVP, I'd go with Embiid for two reasons: 1) I'm a homer, not going to deny it. 2) Embiid is simply a more dominant player on both sides of the ball, especially this season. Jokic is an advanced stats king but Embiid is the first center since Shaq to win the scoring title and he plays like Shaq, Kobe, Hakeem, and Dirk all rolled into one. To call a 3 point clear out/screen play for a center with a few seconds left in OT is simply absurd.

    At the end of the day, you can go with either Jokic or Embiid and not be wrong, and Giannis is right there with them. It's a big man league right now and I love it.
    Populists (and "national socialists") look at the supposedly secret deals that run the world "behind the scenes". Child's play. Except that childishness is sinister in adults.
    - Christopher Hitchens

  8. #988
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    Jokic is an extremely efficient player and has the vision and passing chops to get the ball to anyone, anywhere. He plays as if he's a point guard in a center's frame and can score from anywhere on the court and pulls down a ton of boards. Get him the ball near the rim and he'll skyhook it in with ease.

    Joel is a monster on both sides of the ball. He's a dominant scorer in the paint, mid-range, and perimeter. He's also the defensive anchor for the Sixers and is an imposing force at the rim. Not only does he fill the role of a traditional big but he also has the footwork and finesse of a guard. Some of his moves are eeriely similar to Kobe and Jordan despite being a 7ft+, 280 monster.

    If I was going to pick one for MVP, I'd go with Embiid for two reasons: 1) I'm a homer, not going to deny it. 2) Embiid is simply a more dominant player on both sides of the ball, especially this season. Jokic is an advanced stats king but Embiid is the first center since Shaq to win the scoring title and he plays like Shaq, Kobe, Hakeem, and Dirk all rolled into one. To call a 3 point clear out/screen play for a center with a few seconds left in OT is simply absurd.

    At the end of the day, you can go with either Jokic or Embiid and not be wrong, and Giannis is right there with them. It's a big man league right now and I love it.

    If I really had to break it down between these 3:

    Offense: I think Joker is the clear winner here, I know Embiid just one scoring title, but Joker's playmaking, passing, and generalship over the floor more than make up that gap. His on/off numbers account for more than just his scoring. When you bring up Embiid's game winner, we've seen Joker make that play a few times this year, he's also made perfect read passes to create that play which is something Embiid can't do. Joker is just as dangerous as Embiid, just as hard to contain, but he has the playmaking factor which puts him ahead (this isn't to say Embiid can't make plays, he can, but he and pretty much every other player in the league minus Paul, Luka, Curry, are comparatively WNBA level vs Joker). For Giannis, I'd say he is only better when it comes to finishing at the rim... I hate to agree with Harden here, but Giannis brings a shit ton of physical talent but not as much technical talent. He scores because he is too big, too strong, too fast, doesn't get tired... dude knows his skill set and it's completely in preparation and physical ability. But when talking about Embiid who can score like Kobe and Shaq on the same possession, and for Joker who is like dealing with a 7 foot Chris Paul and 7 foot Larry Bird, in the same possession, Giannis is behind.

    Defense: Clear winner here for Embiid/Giannis. I put them at the same level, but that isn't to say Joker is far behind. Joker has become a really solid defender, he has become a Draymond style defender. He uses his excellent feel for the game and puts himself in the right spot, he also seems to have learned to use his sneaky quickness on defense, something I've only ever seen him do on offense when he does sneaky back door cuts or jump catches in the post and hits a quick spin as soon as he lands. What really puts him behind Embiid and Giannis is his athleticism. Even when he is in the right spot, he still doesn't have raw verticality of those 2. Although I would say in Jokers favor, out of 100 possessions, he finds the right spot about 80% of the time vs Embiid and Giannis who are a little closer to 75%. What Embiid and Giannis really really accel at and make them really dangerous defensively is recover. Both are really quick to realize they miss read the play and can still get a hand to where it needs to be most of the time. Joker would just be blown by at that point.

    Value/Versatility: I usually weigh this directly on what would happen if these players were on the other guys team and some intangibles like Clutch. Joker on the sixers, I think they would be a few games up, I think the Sixers are better defensively in general and Joker's superior team offense would bring them up a few games. Joker on Bucks would win the championship, easy day, that team is solid, veteran talent, and versatile. It's filled with shooters and secondary playmakers, with Joker initiating the offense it would be a championship favorite. Embiid on the Nuggets (still with their injuries) yeah I think they would be about the same still. Embiid on the Bucks is also winning the chip. And this is the sticking point for Giannis, Giannis on the Nuggets, might not be a playoff team at all. Giannis on the 76ers is a playoff team, but not as good. And really clutch wise for Giannis, he just isn't as skilled as either Joker or Embiid and that hurts his real value.

    TL;DR:
    Offense/Defense/V-V
    Embiid - 2/1/1
    Giannis - 3/1/3
    Joker - 1/3/1

    I'm tying Embiid and Giannis on Def and Embiid and Joker on Value/Versatility.

    Ratings wise I think it's a hard tie between Joker and Embiid, but I will say after giving it a lot of thought. I think I'd like to see Embiid win MVP, carrying the Sixers drama has not been easy, I'd argue he created some of that burden himself, but he definitely seems a bit more mature and not a grating teenager this year.

  9. #989
    Herald of the Titans Rethul Ur No's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Scrapbot's DMs
    Posts
    2,667
    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    I'm no fan of Kyrie's antics and personality off the floor, but fining him for responding to a hostile Celtics crowd seems like an uneven punishment. Short of fining the Celtics for their fans behavior... the message seems to be take the abuse and like it when you fine a player for *gasp* giving them the finger in a pretty casual manner.
    lol, nah. Fuck that two-faced Hotep cunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Are these resisters actually contributing to our country and paying their taxes? Or are they freeloading?

  10. #990
    Elemental Lord PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    8,931
    Ja and the Grizzlies looking mighty vulnerable. The TWolves had a big lead early, 47 to 21 early in the 2nd, but the Grizzlies came back before half and cut that lead to 7.

    Now, though, the Minnesota lead is back up to 24.

    Normally, it might not matter as much, considering they're playing in Minnesota, but Memphis already dropped a home game, and they're facing going down 2 games to 1, and maybe leaving Minnesota down 3 to 1.

    I'd totally assumed they'd move on to the next round easily, but now I'm not so sure.


    Oh, and Devin Booker is out for 2-3 weeks, and so is Khris Middleton. Playoff time means injury time, of course. Interesting shakeups.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Figures. Tie game.

    21-0 run will do that to you.
    Last edited by PhaelixWW; 2022-04-22 at 01:42 AM.


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  11. #991
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    26,647
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Figures. Tie game.

    21-0 run will do that to you.
    That was ridiculous to follow on twitter. Epic collapse by the Wolves. That might shake them to the point where they just lost the series, just in that run.

  12. #992
    Elemental Lord PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    8,931
    Welp, that just happened, lol.

    42-9 run to the last 10 seconds of the game.


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  13. #993
    Moderator Crissi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    31,763
    Jazz having a hard time with lukaless Mavs, so of course O'Neal goes to take out Brunson too.

    - - - Updated - - -

    which has just made the rest of the team angry rofl

  14. #994
    Scarab Lord downnola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Made in Philly, living in Akron.
    Posts
    4,511
    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Value/Versatility: I usually weigh this directly on what would happen if these players were on the other guys team and some intangibles like Clutch. Joker on the sixers, I think they would be a few games up, I think the Sixers are better defensively in general and Joker's superior team offense would bring them up a few games. Joker on Bucks would win the championship, easy day, that team is solid, veteran talent, and versatile. It's filled with shooters and secondary playmakers, with Joker initiating the offense it would be a championship favorite. Embiid on the Nuggets (still with their injuries) yeah I think they would be about the same still. Embiid on the Bucks is also winning the chip. And this is the sticking point for Giannis, Giannis on the Nuggets, might not be a playoff team at all. Giannis on the 76ers is a playoff team, but not as good. And really clutch wise for Giannis, he just isn't as skilled as either Joker or Embiid and that hurts his real value.

    TL;DR:
    Offense/Defense/V-V
    Embiid - 2/1/1
    Giannis - 3/1/3
    Joker - 1/3/1

    I'm tying Embiid and Giannis on Def and Embiid and Joker on Value/Versatility.

    Ratings wise I think it's a hard tie between Joker and Embiid, but I will say after giving it a lot of thought. I think I'd like to see Embiid win MVP, carrying the Sixers drama has not been easy, I'd argue he created some of that burden himself, but he definitely seems a bit more mature and not a grating teenager this year.
    This is one of the better breakdowns I've seen of these players during the MVP debate madness, you really nailed it here. I think it's interesting to imagine what the Sixers would look like with Jokic. The thing I've admired about his play over the past couple of years is his ability to see the floor and hit cutters in tight spots with ridiculous passes. Someone as explosive as Maxey would benefit so much from a player like him and they would vastly improve during transitions basically overnight.
    Populists (and "national socialists") look at the supposedly secret deals that run the world "behind the scenes". Child's play. Except that childishness is sinister in adults.
    - Christopher Hitchens

  15. #995
    The Lightbringer ProphetFlume's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    76ers gonna be out in the first round, book it!
    *closes book*
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

  16. #996
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    *closes book*
    In his defense, Doc Rivers does own 3 of the 13 blown 3-1 leads in NBA history. He's probably the best candidate to be the first to blow a 3-0. The Raptors may have them right where they want them.

    Jokes aside--I should stop clowning poor Doc. His rotations and scheme have actually been pretty sound so far in the playoffs.

    And I'll regret posting this if something terrible here actually happens.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Edit: Oof--there's why the Sixers are a second round exit. Despite getting Scott Foster'd, the Sixers kept it close until the frustration broke them. Gotta be tougher than that, even if things aren't going your way, and especially when you knew, before the game started, that you were going to get Foster'd. Especially from Embiid--even though his hand is hurt, he's gotta be more resilient than that, albeit it's just one game and he'll figure it out--everyone else maybe not though. They gave Nurse heat for getting salty at the refs, so they've gotta be resilient and deal with it when the shoe is on the other foot.
    Last edited by Espo; 2022-04-23 at 09:23 PM.

  17. #997
    Elemental Lord PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    8,931
    Great finish to that Jazz/Mavs game. Sooo many missed FTs down the stretch, though. It was practically hack-a-Gobert for the fourth quarter. Can't believe Powell missed both of those at the end, also; he's an ~80% FT shooter this season.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Aaaaand the Nets, who were favored to win the chip before the start of the season, are now down 3-0 against the Celtics, heading for a first-round exit.

    Poor Ben Simmons. Philly looks like they're moving on and Brooklyn looks like they're kaput.


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  18. #998
    The Lightbringer ProphetFlume's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,631
    If warriors and the celtics turn out to be the only teams to sweep in round 1 do they become the finals favorites?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

  19. #999
    Elemental Lord PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    8,931
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    If warriors and the celtics turn out to be the only teams to sweep in round 1 do they become the finals favorites?
    Who says they're not already?



    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  20. #1000
    The Lightbringer ProphetFlume's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,631
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Who says they're not already?
    What did it look like after the play-in but before the round started?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •