1. #1

    Trying to prepare for wow classic. Possible upgrades.

    I'm trying to prepare for Wow classic in August and I'm thinking about upgrading some parts but not sure if it's worth it or if the 3 year old system I have now is good enough. I will not be overclocking. The thing is I also use this to record over the air HD programs so the computer needs to be fast enough to handle recording and playing the game at the same time. I really don't want to spend $300+ on new parts unless there is a significant improvement.

    Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (1595) WinTV-dualHD Dual Tuner USB


    current specs:
    Intel i5-4690 quad-core 3.5ghz cpu 4th gen
    Asus H81M-E motherboard
    Radeon RX 560 2GB video card (will be upgrading this anyway)
    2x8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333mhz ram
    Crucial 480GB SSD
    500w Rosewill PSU
    x2 4TB 7,200 rpm storage drives
    27" Dell 1080p 75hz monitor

    possible new parts:
    AMD Ryzen 5 2600x 3.6ghz 6-core cpu
    Asus PRIME B450M-A/CSM motherboard
    2x8GB DDR4 3000mhz ram
    aftermarket cpu cooler (stock cooler is too iffy for me)

    cost: $345
    Last edited by EMHmarkone; 2019-06-25 at 02:04 AM.

  2. #2
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    16,586
    I guess my first question is.. are you able to do that now? If so, there's really no reason to upgrade.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

  3. #3
    Actually I haven't played any pc games ever on this computer.

  4. #4
    For WoW Classic? You'll be fine with what you have right there. WoW Classic could run on a phone these days.

  5. #5
    I'm concerned about how it will perform in a 40 person raid and I want to pump up the graphics so it looks good.

  6. #6
    You could probably get by with just a graphics card upgrade. An RX 580 or GTX 1060 6GB would probably be fine if you don't want to spend a lot.

    Either way, don't buy a Ryzen 2000 series CPU. The 3000 series is launching in 2 weeks and is a lot better for about the same price. The Ryzen 3600 is $199. The stock cooler is more than good enough for Warcraft.

  7. #7
    Idk in the states, but in Europe you can get a rx580 8gb(4gb versión at even less money, enought for WoW)at 140e or less, that is a insane boost to your system

  8. #8
    Dude, its Classic. Why would you want to upgrade? If Retail WoW runs Classic will run 10x better.

    If you want to upgrade, wait for Zen 2.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Lythelia View Post
    For WoW Classic? You'll be fine with what you have right there. WoW Classic could run on a phone these days.
    Classic runs in the modern client.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by EMHmarkone View Post
    I'm trying to prepare for Wow classic in August and I'm thinking about upgrading some parts but not sure if it's worth it or if the 3 year old system I have now is good enough. I will not be overclocking. The thing is I also use this to record over the air HD programs so the computer needs to be fast enough to handle recording and playing the game at the same time. I really don't want to spend $300+ on new parts unless there is a significant improvement.

    Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (1595) WinTV-dualHD Dual Tuner USB


    current specs:
    Intel i5-4690 quad-core 3.5ghz cpu 4th gen
    Asus H81M-E motherboard
    Radeon RX 560 2GB video card (will be upgrading this anyway)
    2x8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333mhz ram
    Crucial 480GB SSD
    500w Rosewill PSU
    x2 4TB 7,200 rpm storage drives
    27" Dell 1080p 75hz monitor

    possible new parts:
    AMD Ryzen 5 2600x 3.6ghz 6-core cpu
    Asus PRIME B450M-A/CSM motherboard
    2x8GB DDR4 3000mhz ram
    aftermarket cpu cooler (stock cooler is too iffy for me)

    cost: $345
    Not worth the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    100:1 odds that he wont
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Okay. I'll stop sharing my views.

  11. #11
    Thanks everyone. I'll be looking at getting a RX 580 since my monitor is Freesync but glad I don't have to buy anything else.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Classic runs in the modern client.
    Which is probably even better for low-spec systems. Classic content doesn't have NEARLY the levels of seizure inducing particle effects on boss abilities that modern WoW does, and if Classic WoW can't perform on OP's current specs, something is horribly, horribly wrong.

  13. #13
    WoW classic is so incredibly easy to run, my HTPC has an athlon 5350 which is a 25w cpu that can barely playback 1080p video and it plays classic on the 4 preset at 1080p with 30 fps. Id imagine even the integrated graphics on a haswell based intel cpu could hit 60 fps in most situations at 1080p.

  14. #14
    You can run Classic WoW on a potato.

    In fact, I think I still have the PC i played on during vanilla lying in the garage. Might have to set it up for the pure classic experience, CRT Monitor and all

  15. #15
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    16,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    You can run Classic WoW on a potato.
    WoW Classic is not the same as the original WoW. You will not be able to run it on ~2002 hardware, most likely.

    If anything, Classic will be more demanding, since it actually has 40m pve raids.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

  16. #16
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    10,833
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    You can run Classic WoW on a potato.

    In fact, I think I still have the PC i played on during vanilla lying in the garage. Might have to set it up for the pure classic experience, CRT Monitor and all
    Classic is running on legion software, not vanilla software. You won't be able to run it on 2004 hardware.. Well, at least not well

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    WoW Classic is not the same as the original WoW. You will not be able to run it on ~2002 hardware, most likely.

    If anything, Classic will be more demanding, since it actually has 40m pve raids.
    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Classic is running on legion software, not vanilla software. You won't be able to run it on 2004 hardware.. Well, at least not well
    Challenge Accepted

  18. #18
    Where is my chicken! moremana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,610
    Quote Originally Posted by EMHmarkone View Post
    Thanks everyone. I'll be looking at getting a RX 580 since my monitor is Freesync but glad I don't have to buy anything else.
    Just make sure you get a real 580. There are some no name brands selling RX570s flashed as 580s that are "on sale". Make sure you know what you're getting before you hit that buy button.

    I would just stick with Asus, MSI, Sapphire, Gigabyte, XFX or Asrock. At least you will know your warranty will get honored if you need it.


    Intel System




    Ryzen System











Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •