Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I wish this fad will go away soon, like those damn battlepiano and mobas.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    I'd rather watch YouTube videos or movies. Cheaper than having to buy a game that plays itself.
    Seeing how some people consider wow to be p2w, because they can pay real money to buy token, then trade token for gold, then trade gold for M+ and raid runs, and call that "winning" (lets be fair, you bought the game, pays subscription and now pays extra money to not play the game), so this idea of "buying a game that plays itself" may sound reasonable for these people

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    But when you look at Auto-Chess games isn't that what you do too? You make a bunch of interesting choices and let the units do the fighting.
    That's basically a football manager. And these auto-chess games kill the purpose of chess by removing the crucial part - playing the actual game. As in, making interesting decisions. Watching AI vs AI battle and calling it "a game" is just dishonest.

- - - Updated - - -

That is the thing, the genre doesn't really exist yet, but it appears to me that it's about to become one of the most popular game genres. Auto-play games.
    You'd be living under a rock since 1990 if you think that "auto-play" games are something new. Videogames supposed to be engaging, what you want is basically a progress bar that fills by itself.

If you are into management/simulation games - there are plenty of them: Sims, simcity, cities skylines, football manager, dwarf fortress for gods sake. Why people even want glorified legal bots in WoW, like it's some sort of asian MMORPG escapes my mind completely
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Wrong on all counts. Wporld of Warcraft was ALWAYS made with the mass population of casuals in mind.
    I don't know what are you trying to say there? You must've misinterpret my comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    That's not an argument. Just because something is popular among female gamers it doesn't mean it should be implemented to WoW.

WoW since the beginning wasn't a game to please most of the people around the world, it was made to please neck-beards/nolifers/people who likes RPG/people who played Wc3/people who liked MMO. It was made with passion by people who wanted to make awesome world for players to enjoy and explore.

There's one thing that's wrong with WoW right now: that Blizzard is trying to please EVERYONE wasting their resources on unnecessary things. They're getting a few new players, but losing veterans who enjoyed WoW in a different way.
    This is funny because WoW was always meant to be a more casual MMO option. Like it or not, it is what it is. The game evolved to follow its target market. It's not the game's fault if you didn't change with it.

OT: Hard no. If you want that "gameplay", play that game. WoW is not that game. Stop trying to force it to be a different game.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaetha View Post
    This is funny because WoW was always meant to be a more casual MMO option. Like it or not, it is what it is. The game evolved to follow its target market. It's not the game's fault if you didn't change with it.

OT: Hard no. If you want that "gameplay", play that game. WoW is not that game. Stop trying to force it to be a different game.
    Exactly. The only reason that people in vanilla thought it was hardcore was because of the challenge of organizing 40 casual player to play at the same time at the same place.

OT: Another shitpost thread OP? please stop, anyone that wants auto play shouldn't be playing at all.
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

This has almost certainly already been said, but....:

How about instead of creating a game so full of boring tedious, shallow busy-work that people un-ironically ask for an automated mode....Blizzard just makes a game with depth, challenge, and enjoyable real gameplay?

Shocking revolutionary ideas here.

Many people are most likely going to shoot down this entire concept, as a gut impulse, but I honestly believe this is the future of gaming: WoW needs an auto-play option and/or even focus it's game design around auto-play.

With the rising popularity of auto-chess and the overall growing twitch culture vibe, it feels like the time is finally right to design games that play themselves. Games aren't after all necessarily about action and fast-paced decision making or achieving high apm. "Games are a series of interesting choices and observing the result of those choices," to make a Sid Meiers reference.

I actually think it could be quite enjoyable and relaxing to watch your character farm, fight and progress - leaving crucial parts of decision making (that don't involve quick paced action) to the player behind the keyboard. This way you might not even feel forced to spend a great amount of time or many hours a day to the game if you can let it play itself while you sometimes go and do other things.

What choices could we leave in the hands of the player in Auto-WoW?
    1. Gear choices: On the condition that gear options are a lot more interesting than they are now.
    2. Character tactical behavior: Choose and fine-tune a series of macro-situational choices your character would make in certain situations: eg. when should it focus more on AoE? When more on single target? Some of this goes hand in hand with some of the gear choices you made, possibly to come to certain combos.
    3. Talent and Artifact choices: On the condition that those are also expanded upon and made more interesting. Once again synergizing with the earlier gear and behavior choices you made.
    4. What kind of content to focus on and what type of rewards to pursue.
    5. Story-choices: Maybe making them even more impactful on your character growth.
    6. Trade and economy preferences: What kind of materials to farm, what kind of items to try and trade?
    7. Faction choices: What kind of factions is your character interested in aligning with? Horde factions? Alliance factions? Honorable factions? Profiteering factions? etc.

I think the future is here and it's a gloriously lazy and fun one.
    If you wanted to test if doomsayers, whiteknights, whiners and normal people could have the same opinion about something, you nailed it. My answer obviusly is no, no way in hell I want this.

Quote Originally Posted by eduwneso View Post
    If you wanted to test if doomsayers, whiteknights, whiners and normal people could have the same opinion about something, you nailed it. My answer obviusly is no, no way in hell I want this.
    There is a number of people expressing they would be very interested in a PC MMO like this though. That the majority says: "no" is not a surprise to me either, because if most people realized they wanted it, it would already be on the market.

Recent trends of auto-play games being very popular is also an indication that the market has a yet unconcious demand for it.

There are also a lot of people that entirely misunderstood the concept or only read the thread-title.
    Did You Know? - In 2010, Obama was part of a group to help Citigroup workers unionize. Read more about it here.
    "We work for all, we feed all." - the 99%

Quote Originally Posted by Prozach View Post
    Blame the Millennials. Everything started getting bad when entitled snot-nosed kids got into gaming and insisted that 90% of the "game play" be watching cutscenes.
    Ah yes, blaming the millenials thing.

Millenials are the ones that grew up with the real games, in 90s and in 00s. It's your twisted perception on how generations actually work is at fault here. We are moving past 30s with our ages. Chances are you are a millenial. A typical millenial bashing millenial buying into the memes.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

There is a number of people expressing they would be very interested in a PC MMO like this though. That the majority says: "no" is not a surprise to me either, because if most people realized they wanted it, it would already be on the market.

Recent trends of auto-play games being very popular is also an indication that the market has a yet unconcious demand for it.

There are also a lot of people that entirely misunderstood the concept or only read the thread-title.
    I understand what you are saying and it's actually true, as others have said, a warcraft game with those features I would play. I love iddle games.

But WoW is something that should never enter in that territory, mainly because almost all the people who play it likes to do things on their own.

It could integrate some autoplay in some features, for example, someone said something about followers dragon age style, making your single-player experience more rich, but your character is yours and in a 15 year old game with roots on itself and it's gamers making that change in the game would be a mistake and this would be the real downfall of WoW, not BFA or WOD or *insert whine here*

So remove player agency

Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    This product already exists. It's known as a "movie".
    Its known as Bfa.

Quote Originally Posted by Prozach View Post
    Blame the Millennials. Everything started getting bad when entitled snot-nosed kids got into gaming and insisted that 90% of the "game play" be watching cutscenes.
    Get off my lawn and fix the issues I created you ungrateful kids!!!
    I bet you're American too.

The Lightbringer
    Isn't this what mission tables are? Insert time and money for a shot at a reward. It's pretty close to gambling if it's not already. Push buttons, whip that arm, see what happens etc.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    I understand where you are coming from and I do play some auto battlers myself.

However:
    - Those are normally free (Gachas for example, especially Hero Collectors where you need to farm for hours to make progress)
    - Are on mobile (several of those mobile MMOs basically play themself for a huge part)
    - Are a completely different genre (several management games where you do decision making and observe the results)

Those games exist, they can be fun. MMORPGs imo don't fit in this. I also think the mobile MMOs are stupid in that regard.
    Why do you? What's the point of "playing" a game you're not playing? Have we become so simple that rewards without literally any effort is rewarding?

I did some thinking about this last night and found that I wouldnt be opposed to it being an additional thing you can do on your phone for mission table followers.

For example, you can send them on a particular subset of missions that have better rewards the more rounds you can complete by advancing their gear/abilities per round.

I think it would be a fun little minigame you can do while not in the main World of Warcraft gamespace.

As others have mentioned, a warcraft auto type game could be fun. But OP needs to understand that auto chess isn’t auto for the sake of laziness.

Auto chess has an automated battle component because it wants to emphasise the importance of the selection of play pieces. If a level 1 piece can beat the same level 2 type, because of mad skillz, the decision is devalued.

In that sense, wow is already plenty auto. You don’t actually need to aim those fireballs, the game does it for you. You don’t need to execute a perfect swing on a warrior, the game does it for you. It’s all just a matter of where the gamedesign wants you to make decisions.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven’t played WoD myself, but isn’t that the definition of garrisons?

That is the thing, the genre doesn't really exist yet, but it appears to me that it's about to become one of the most popular game genres. Auto-play games.
    Ok and what happens when the genre gets stale and a new genre becomes popular? Do they change it again?

Personally I don't even see it as a genre, it's just a gameplay mechanic that can be present in many genres, from management games, to simulation games, to strategy and tower defense games.

I don't' believe there is anything wrong with the concept of removing action-button pressing from a game and instead expanding more upon story choices, gear, stat and talent choices instead. The argument that "chicken fighting can't be fun because boxing is more interactive" obviously holds no water.
    The point about chicken fighting is moot. They can both be fun, but there are a lot of people who like boxing and not chicken fighting, and vice-versa. And if you have been paying to go to a certain place to practice boxing for years, chances are you don't want that place to be changed to chicken fighting.

I'm not saying it couldn't be a fun game for some people, I'm just asking why change an existing game into something that it never was? Where exactly do you see the demand particularly in the existing playerbase? And if a drastic change would be positive, why this specific "genre" and not something else?

Meaningful interactions could still be possible in an auto-play sort of MMO.
    Care to give examples? I'm sure there are somewhat cheap ways of adding interaction, but would they be meaningful at the same level? It's one thing to say it's possible, it's a different thing to actually implement it in the game in a way that's fun and interesting while dealing with a budget and deadlines.

Maybe also something that might change if auto-play becomes more popular? Just because something has always been in one way or another doesn't mean you need to keep adhering to it. That is a rule that Blizzard often applied in it's earlier days and arguably why most of it's earliest games were massively popular and considered as the hallmark of quality in the gaming industry.
    Sure. But in the same way, just because it's different/new doesn't mean it will be better or even good. Just because auto-play got somewhat relevant for a short period of time doesn't mean it will work well everywhere else, or otherwise be popular in the long term.

Like I said before, I have no problem with Blizzard making a new game like that, even though I do believe it would fit more the mobile market and not pc/consoles (there's a reason why the majority of idle games are mobile or browser games and not fully fledged "AAA" quality games).

Blizzard innovated some things, sure (even though a lot of it was actually just creating a unique mix of already existing features/gameplay mechanics, instead of something completely new), but they did so in new games. Not by changing an existing game of their own.
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2019-06-26 at 11:54 AM.

I'd never heard of Auto Chess until the OP mentioned it. And having just read an article about it...I'm still not clear what it is, or how it pertains to WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaetha View Post
    Once again. I don't get that comment, I have no idea what are you trying to say?

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    You realize that the Millennials include everyone born after 1981 so all the third and fourth generation console players and almost all PC gamers?
    Yeah, this perpetual blaming of millennials for everything bad that happens in-game, and otherwise, is getting really old.

More on topic, what OP is proposing might work, sure, but as a separate game. Something like old-school RTS's such as Majesty FKS, or even Master of Orion 2 - but certainly not as part of WoW. Mission tables are bad enough, even in their current, neutered version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danuser
    we created a story structure for Sylvanas that, on the surface, echoed many broad strokes of the road Garrosh took (...). These parallels were intentional. But it's within the nuance that we sought to show the story grow and change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    BFA was about as nuanced as a golf club to the testicles/ovaries.