Missed chance on tier sets for 8.2?

Hey,

as I just looked at the new raid tier sets I was wondering why they are designed this way.

I think they missed a huge chance on raid sets designed with a bioluminescent deep-sea theme.

Do you think they just spare this idea for the future? A biolumniscent armor theme could have looked awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by nanoneo View Post
    Hey,

as I just looked at the new raid tier sets I was wondering why they are designed this way.

I think they missed a huge chance on raid sets designed with a bioluminescent deep-sea theme.

Do you think they just spare this idea for the future? A biolumniscent armor theme could have looked awesome.
    Worst sets in a very, very long time in my humble opinion. I read somewhere that they outsourced some of this stuff. Seems completely unlikely, but these days who knows.

Oh I thought this was about actual tier sets. Yeah the mog is lame this time around, not sure why they half-assed the art that much tbh. They probably wanted something more refined with a naga theme (the random sea floor stuff is already the benthic gear), but the result is .. underwhelming to say the least.

Tier sets wont save BFA.

WoW artists are wizards when it comes to creating beautiful zones but it seems they ran out of ideas for decent looking gear years and years ago.

They're bland and terrible. That one set is just a rip-off of the Firelands spider set. You might be happy with the mail Murloc-looking set from a previous expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    WoW artists are wizards when it comes to creating beautiful zones but it seems they ran out of ideas for decent looking gear years and years ago.
    Lets exclude vanilla and the original sets.

Theres a lot more tier sets every expansion than there are zones. When theres a theme involved and 12 classes to cater for; there's going to be a limit to imagination

They'll probably bring tier sets back in the next expansion. I wouldn't hold your breath for this 1.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think it's less to do with the artists and more to do with the character models. Even the bad sets usually look good in the concept art, and the designs are translated faithfully.

They basically design the gear to look good on a t-posed human, but when you slap it on the wide-bulky frames of the different races, often hunched or with potentially awkward standing animations, it alters the look of the gear.

Still, think they should separate the stats from the look of the armor. They just throw out looks whenever they are ready with various ways to get the new skins. (Not cash shop).

Granted these new sets don't look too impressive neither did the previous 2, but then again tier sets had similar problems.
    They weren't all gold all the time either. Then again the warfront and pvp sets are good this time, when usually they are garbage.
    Legion was a huge anomaly, where we actually got a lot of good looking tier sets.
    Can't remember any time before that things were across the board good, maybe 1 max 2 good sets in entire vanilla, only couple more for tbc and wrath. Outside of shamans who've been winning tier sets since tbc, almost every tier.
    Guessing they are putting the resources currently to do so many allied races and heritage armors and raid sets are on the back burner.
    Still it's kind of refreshing that the good looking gear is not only coming from raids, in the past it sucked that all the more high quality stuff was always locked behind raiding.
    I hope in the future they do more class sets, in Legion raid set quality and just forget set bonuses all together being useless step in the grind treadmill.

Generally agree, as I haven't been thrilled with a lot of the gear. The leather set looks pretty good though. Seems leather gets most of the effort and most of the classes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    I think it's less to do with the artists and more to do with the character models. Even the bad sets usually look good in the concept art, and the designs are translated faithfully.

They basically design the gear to look good on a t-posed human, but when you slap it on the wide-bulky frames of the different races, often hunched or with potentially awkward standing animations, it alters the look of the gear.
    Good artists should anticipate that though.

One of the better parts of race-changing to Zandalari is that gear looks better than on many of the Horde races. Similar proportions to humans.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redecle View Post
    Granted these new sets don't look too impressive neither did the previous 2, but then again tier sets had similar problems.
    They weren't all gold all the time either. Then again the warfront and pvp sets are good this time, when usually they are garbage.
    Legion was a huge anomaly, where we actually got a lot of good looking tier sets.
    Can't remember any time before that things were across the board good, maybe 1 max 2 good sets in entire vanilla, only couple more for tbc and wrath. Outside of shamans who've been winning tier sets since tbc, almost every tier.
    Guessing they are putting the resources currently to do so many allied races and heritage armors and raid sets are on the back burner.
    Still it's kind of refreshing that the good looking gear is not only coming from raids, in the past it sucked that all the more high quality stuff was always locked behind raiding.
    I hope in the future they do more class sets, in Legion raid set quality and just forget set bonuses all together being useless step in the grind treadmill.
    Other than the remake of T6, I don't think any of the mail sets looked good in Legion. It is subjective.

If Legion had "better than average" tier sets, it is probably because they remade the iconic set for each class with higher rez graphics.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

Quote Originally Posted by ecospherez View Post
    They'll probably bring tier sets back in the next expansion. I wouldn't hold your breath for this 1.
    They will.

The ONLY, and I mean ONLY reason they ditched tier sets is so they could refocus art team efforts on all the heritage and warfront armor instead. All the bullshit about "w-well we wanted to showcase the environments through the armor" is PR nonsense.

Once everyone gets their racial armor they'll go back to classic tier sets.

At least the Benthic stuff looks alright.

it seems they ran out of ideas for decent looking gear years and years ago.
    I don't know about this, I quite like a lot of the Legion sets, and some of the Warfront ones have been decent.

The Dazar'alor mythic plate set has a goddamn Triceratops skull on its shoulder. I won't get it for another couple expansions but you best believe I'll be going after that once Legacy is enabled.
    Xal'atath whispers: Your allies consider me a bad influence. Yet all I've ever done is speed you along the path you chose.