10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    So now, we should feel guilty if we eat burgers and plastic straws...https://www.foxnews.com/politics/but...of-the-problem
    There is something you should feel when eating plastic straws... not sure it's guilt.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    There is something you should feel when eating plastic straws... not sure it's guilt.
    Lol. Good observation. I corrected it. Thanks.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown View Post
    The one about them getting fucked over by imperialist countries since the dawn of time?
    The one about using tax payer money to fund anti-fertility initiatives in the developing world so that they don't have more children.

So now, we should feel guilty if we eat burgers and use plastic straws...https://www.foxnews.com/politics/but...of-the-problem

If you eat hamburgers or use plastic drinking straws, consider yourself part of the climate change problem. That was the assessment of Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg on Thursday during an appearance on CNN’s "New Day."

Good grief. They are losing it. And this is a candidate who loves to fly using private planes. :P
    Who needs to use a straw anyways past the age of 6? Just drink your beverage like an adult.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    What are your thoughts about this climate change policy?
    Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    The one about using tax payer money to fund anti-fertility initiatives in the developing world so that they don't have more children.
    Of all of the disingenuous conservative meltdowns/smears, this has got to be one of the worst. They’re calling him a racist and comparing him to Thanos for...suggesting that women in the developing world should have the same access to information and reproductive healthcare that women in the developed world benefit from? I mean, I get that the GOP doesn’t want these things for American women either, but the way they’ve tried to put a “racist and sinister” spin on this is just disgusting. The lack of intellectual honesty just (further) destroys any credibility that those people have
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Of all of the disingenuous conservative meltdowns/smears, this has got to be one of the worst. They’re calling him a racist and comparing him to Thanos for...suggesting that women in the developing world should have the same access to information and reproductive healthcare that women in the developed world benefit from? I mean, I get that the GOP doesn’t want these things for American women either, but the way they’ve tried to put a “racist and sinister” spin on this is just disgusting. The lack of intellectual honesty just (further) destroys any credibility that those people have
    They don't have anything better. They know nobody on the left will buy it, but they know liberal wine moms will, which will lead to them voting for Trump(or any GoP member) if Bernie made it to the last round of voting.

Yes, obviously making birth control widely available is equivalent to being Thanos.

Cruz really can't tell his arse from his elbow.

I don't disagree they are taking a page out of the Democrat playbook, but it on the topic itself what do you think of his idea to limit climate change.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    but it on the topic itself what do you think of his idea to limit climate change.
    I think it's safe to assume that lower population growth would mean fewer people using resources and it could therefore prevent carbon emissions rise as high as they otherwise would. As far as actually reducing carbon usage, I'm not sure it would have a meaningful effect, so it would have to be a small part of a broader strategy.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

So now, we should feel guilty if we eat burgers and use plastic straws...https://www.foxnews.com/politics/but...of-the-problem

If you eat hamburgers or use plastic drinking straws, consider yourself part of the climate change problem. That was the assessment of Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg on Thursday during an appearance on CNN’s "New Day."

Good grief. They are losing it. And this is a candidate who loves to fly using private planes. :P
    "You know, from using a straw to eating a burger. Am I part of the problem? In a certain way, yes," he said. "But the most exciting thing is that we can all be part of the solution."

"I think the downside to us facing just how colossal of a challenge this is, is it can feel paralyzing," Buttigieg said. "But we can rise to meet this and be proud of it. That's part of what my climate plan is about. It's not only about all of the things we've got to do technologically and with regulation and so on. It's about summoning the energies of this country to do something unbelievably hard.

"If you look at the moments when this country rose to a major challenge, overcoming the Great Depression, winning World War II, going to the moon, it required something out of all of us. And I think we could be standing taller," he continued.
    Here's his comments in more context that makes the "OOOOHHH, HE SAID STRAWS AND BEEF BAD" garbage like you posted look silly.

He's making good, reasonable points. And they travel via planes because that's what they have to do to campaign. Do you expect him to get around in a hot air balloon? On a bike? This bullshit expecation of perfection from anyone discussing the need to tackle climate change with both small contributions (not using single-use plastics, reducing consumption of certain meats and increasing consumption of vegetables etc.) and bigger contributions (regulations, technological improvements, legislation etc.) is dishonest and bullshit.

The entire point is that 100 companies are the cause for 71% of the worlds greenhouse gas emissions. He is not claiming population control outside of advocating for birth control and abortion as fair things for people to want. Also i would expect anyone running for president to use flight travel and the like without calling them a hypocrite because how else can you move across the nation in a speedy way.

Now do i agree with his proposals regarding this? No. I am in the camp of Nuclear power with subsidies going toward it to reverse the mythos around the stigma and other programs like housing vouchers or rebates for building close to or around a Nuclear station.

Also regulating peoples cars will be helpful but it is not the main reason for the pollution we are dealing with and fixing that is a drop in actual bucket. Electric cars should be sought after over the cost savings and annoying nature of gas stations not because you did almost nothing to combat pollution.

Its his own doing lol

If you want to fund contraceptives because poor people in poor countries are breeding too much and polluting the planet as a result it does give a good look
    Last edited by NED funded; 2019-09-06 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    Its his own doing lol

If you want to fund contraceptives because poor people in poor countries are breeding too much and polluting the planet as a result it does give a good look
    Oh come on. You’re giving it the worst possible framing. It’s not like he suggested a global one child policy, or forced sterilization. And he’s not even telling people in the developing world to not have babies: he literally framed it in terms of empowering women to make their own choices. As we’ve found in the developed world, women usually have fewer children when they have access to information and reproductive care.
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    As ussual, conservatives only care about the poor when they can attack somebody with opposing views than them. At least try to do it correctly by not making up shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's almost as if there's a history of the use of seemingly benign things like 'population control' as a front for eugenics. And Bernie Bros wonder why they have trouble gaining traction with people who aren't....you know...white.

To be clear, there is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to improve access to reproductive healthcare in developing countries. But throwing out terms like "population control" and not making consideration of things like how humanitarian aid is often an exercise in neocolonialism doesn't do him any favors.

Really, just makes him look like his last serious consideration of human demographics came from the 1970s.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2019-09-06 at 10:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    It's almost as if there's a history of the use of seemingly benign things like 'population control' as a front for eugenics. And Bernie Bros wonder why they have trouble gaining traction with people who aren't....you know...white.

To be clear, there is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to improve access to reproductive healthcare in developing countries. But throwing out terms like "population control" and not making consideration of things like how humanitarian aid is often an exercise in neocolonialism doesn't do him any favors.

Really, just makes him look like his last serious consideration of human demographics came from the 1970s.

Coming from a Warren supporter, you serious?
    She is the candidate for white liberal wine moms.
    Last edited by JohnBrown1917; 2019-09-06 at 11:00 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Here's his comments in more context that makes the "OOOOHHH, HE SAID STRAWS AND BEEF BAD" garbage like you posted look silly.

He's making good, reasonable points. And they travel via planes because that's what they have to do to campaign. Do you expect him to get around in a hot air balloon? On a bike? This bullshit expecation of perfection from anyone discussing the need to tackle climate change with both small contributions (not using single-use plastics, reducing consumption of certain meats and increasing consumption of vegetables etc.) and bigger contributions (regulations, technological improvements, legislation etc.) is dishonest and bullshit.
    I thought Beto O'rourke was riding buses on his campaign trail? I thought I saw that at one time. Might be wrong however. But I think his ( Buttigieg's) climate suggestions are radical and unnecessary. With the exception of the plastic straws. Have no issues with eliminating those. You think whatever you want.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

I thought Beto O'rourke was riding buses on his campaign trail? I thought I saw that at one time. Might be wrong however. But I think his ( Buttigieg's) climate suggestions are radical and unnecessary. With the exception of the plastic straws. Have no issues with eliminating those. You think whatever you want.
    Well, the scientific community almost universally disagrees with you. I get it that older generations won't have to deal with the issues climate change is bringing, but one would think that people with kids would give enough of a shit to not want to leave their children saddled with these issues because changing habits is inconvenient and can cost a bit more.

Climate change denial is quite strong with older generations. I see it a lot in my local area. I've given it a lot of thought. They have kids and grandchildren. I know they love them.

Best I can figure is that they'd rather feel like they didn't do anything wrong. They lived their entire lives causing this problem, of course, but would rather spend their last days pretending they didn't. They don't want to feel guilty or responsible for all of the damage they caused. This seems common among boomers on many issues.

They also don't want to change. They are set in their ways. The idea of dramatically changing their lifestyles to help the environment is offensive to them. I think this helps fuel their denial of reality.

10+ Year Old Account
    You think whatever you want.
    Again you treat your inability to accept reality as a 'difference of opinion'. Calling things "radical" because they are inconvenient only reinforces our perception of you. The problems exist, the solutions are necessary; just because you don't want to do it doesn't mean it isn't real.
    /s