Page 1 of 896
... LastLast

Mega-Thread: Democratic 2020 Primaries - Bernie Lost (get over it)

Since we just kind of have a Joe Biden thread and there are clearly way more developments than just Joe Biden

The state of the race
    Polling
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...tion-6730.html
    As of 7/1/2019

As of 7/18/2019

There are state polls as well, but i'm kinda lazy... Basically Biden's lead has been cut significantly.

This was taken just after the first debates and will likely change within the next week or so as people's ideas about the debate crystalize

As of 8/28

As of 9/12 - Day of 3rd debate

Fund Raising
    Q1 Fundraising totals

Q2 Fundraising totals -

Endorsements

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...ex_cid=rrpromo

Debates
    There are 12 debates scheduled.

1st Debate - MSNBC - Any candidate that had at least 65k donors OR at least 1% in 3 major polls
    • The first debate had 20 candidates and split the candidates of 2 nights.
    • Big winners from the first Debate - THESE ARE JUST MY OPINIONS
      • Kamala Harris - Breakout of the first debate. Completely obliterated Joe Biden and had some really good viral sound bites
      • Pete Buttigeig - Addressed the issues he's having at home, gave really solid answers on a lot of topics.
      • Elizabeth Warren - Stayed above the fray, basically confirmed her top tier bona fides.
      • Julian Castro - Most people had never heard about him before. His exchange with Beto certainly made people pay attention to him
    • Losers from the first debate
      • Joe Biden - Seemed unprepared... Got demolished by Harris... He still hasn't cleaned this up fully
      • Beto O'Rourke - Demolished by Castro... Also seemed unprepared
      • Andrew Yang - Spoke the least out of anyone and didn't get his message out at all
      • Bernie Sanders - Same old, same old. The debate really highlighted that he doesn't really connect with minorities at all. Not everything needs to be delivered through an economic lens.
    • More info on the first debate from 538 - https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...n-five-charts/

2nd Debate - CNN - Any candidate that had at least 65k donors OR at least 1% in 3 major polls - July 30 and 31 in Detroit
    The draw for this was done live on the air and grouped candidates into 3 groups to ensure that there'd be a better spread. Much better than the NBC debate
    1st Night
    • Buttigieg
    • O'Rourke
    • Kloubuchar
    • Williamson
    • Delaney
    • HickenLooper
    • Ryan
    • Bullock
    • Warren
    • Sanders
    2nd Night
    • Castro
    • Yang
    • Booker
    • Inslee
    • Gillibrand
    • Gabbard
    • Bennet
    • De Blasio
    • Biden
    • Harris

3rd Debate - ABC - Any candidate with at least 130k donors AND 2% in at least 4 major polls since the last debate - Sept. 12 in Houston, Texas
    • Joe Biden
    • Pete Buttigieg
    • Kamala Harris
    • Bernie Sanders
    • Elizabeth Warren
    • Cory Booker
    • Beto O’Rourke
    • Amy Klobuchar
    • Julián Castro
    • Andrew Yang

Drop outs

Mod Edit: This thread is closed.
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-04-10 at 02:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    lol at thinking Sanders lost that debate.

10+ Year Old Account
    For posterity, PACOX's thread on the first debate:

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ate-June-26-27

Since it was dedicated to a specific event, the mods might close it up now that its passed, but if anybody wanted to check up on earlier discussion, there it is.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    You don't answer a question about race relations with your standard down with corporations stump speech and have people respond to it. He had the opportunity to show he's grown since 2016. The debate has shown he hasn't. He's going to get demolished outside of Iowa and NH this go around.

Marianna Williamson is very likeable.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    Marianna Williamson is very likeable.
    She's batshit insane -
    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...n-tweets-takes

She's also an antivaxxer -
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/2020-c...-are-orwellian

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    So she's for bodily autonomy? The horror!
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Don't think Sanders either helped himself or hurt himself. End of the day he's still going to be one of the last candidates standing.

If you want to see Trump win, vote for Biden. That guy couldn't debate his way out of a wet paper sack.

Vaccines are not about bodily autonomy. They're about public health. Have you never heard of herd immunity?

Vaccines are not about bodily autonomy. They're about public health. Have you never heard of herd immunity?
    I have. And if folks are willing to get them they should. But your desire to be safe doesn't mean you get take away another's bodily autonomy any more than than folks can force you to carry a gun for protection.

But your desire to be safe doesn't mean you get take away another's bodily autonomy any more than than folks can force you to carry a gun for protection.
    False equivalence, the benefits and risks of the two aren't remotely the same.

Antivaxxing isn't about bodily autonomy since children are not legally allowed to make that choice. It's always their parent's making that choice for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    False equivalence, the benefits and risks of the two aren't remotely the same.
    They are both tools, a means of protection. They absolutely are comparable. I support folks getting vaccinated. I am vaccinated. But it's a choice and should stay that way.

They are both tools, a means of protection. They absolutely are comparable. I support folks getting vaccinated. I am vaccinated. But it's a choice and should stay that way.
    No, they're not. The risks and benefits to both aren't remotely equitable and they're aimed at protecting against different things. This continues to be a bad analogy no matter how much you push it.

Yes, because babies are TOTALLY making that choice at 2 months old.

No, it really isn't. You are harming people who cannot be vaccinated due to medical reasons by not getting yourself vaccinated. A more apt comparison would be shooting 3-5% of the population.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Antivaxxing isn't about bodily autonomy since children are not legally allowed to make that choice. It's always their parent's making that choice for them.
    Yeah it's a shame children don't have the freedom of adults..but our society has deems they are not capable of making choices so...it is what it is until changed. But imo if a child decided they would like to be vaccinated I'd be for letting them over their parents wishes.

Yeah it's a shame children don't have the freedom of adults..but our society has deems they are not capable of making choices so...it is what it is until changed. But imo if a child decided they would like to be vaccinated I'd before letting them over their parents wishes.
    Which is why the government needs to step in and protect the children from their abusive parents. Like the government does in basically every other case of child abuse.

No, it really isn't. You are harming people who cannot be vaccinated due to medical reasons by not getting yourself vaccinated. A more apt comparison would be shooting 3-5% of the population.
    When you can pin point the specific non vaccinated person who infected the vaccinated person, you would have a point. Until then you are jump lumping folks together in a group becuase of fear.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Which is why the government needs to step in and protect the children from their abusive parents. Like the government does in basically every other case of child abuse.
    Like how the republicans are stepping in to save fetuses? I'd rather they not.