Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    You misspelled Trump.
    like, do you want to actually live under a person like putin? or the control of the republican senate?

because bloomberg is the path to complete oligarchy. the republican senate controls most of what trump does, bloomberg is himself, and he's much more putin-esque. he's also deeply invested in china to the point that it should be questionable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    like, do you want to actually live under a person like putin? or the control of the republican senate?

because bloomberg is the path to complete oligarchy. the republican senate controls most of what trump does, bloomberg is himself, and he's much more putin-esque. he's also deeply invested in china to the point that it should be questionable.
    You misspelled Trump. The past week has made it clear the GOP has no ability to control Trump and Trump is massively corrupt considering his meddling in the DoJ to help his allies out.
    Last edited by Zaydin; 2020-02-17 at 03:18 AM.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Again; no. Bloomberg wasn't a serious contender in the field. Now he is.

This isn't a "depends on the candidate", this is a "not that guy". Which I can cite specific reasons for that don't involve stretching the facts to the breaking point, unlike all of the crying wolf surrounding Biden and Warren.
    Ok, well, the poll didn't have a "not that guy" option so "not that guy" would fall under "depends on the candidate."

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Yeah but the difference is like, Trump is an Evil 5, and Bloomberg is an Evil 4.5.
    Not even close Bloomberg isn't going to built a cult like following and be enabled by the democratic party unlike the GOP we don't fall in line. At worse you just got an evil with their hands tied unlike Trump who has free reign. I don't think you understand the dynamic of our current situation versus a new Bloomberg president.

- - - Updated - - -

was that sarcasm? because the republican controlled senate lets Trump do whatever he wants and the man has stacked his cabinet with billionaires and millionaires. You are clearly detached from reality talking about questionable investments when Trump is in bed with the Russians, Saudis, Turkey among many others.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's aware that I know the score and truthfully, I don't think he's particularly concerned since - again - I'm a Washingtonian.

If I lived in Florida or Wisconsin, different story. We live in a sad state of affairs where your value to the political process is entirely contingent on geography.
    Perhaps, at least Endus has come around, he was pretty far up my ass about me having the same attitude as you. California votes, woo, so valuable.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Perhaps, at least Endus has come around, he was pretty far up my ass about me having the same attitude as you. California votes, woo, so valuable.
    Left coast best coast my good bitch.

The great thing about mail in voting up here is that even if people hate the Presidential candidates it's still minimal effort to consider voting down ballot anyway. You bet your ass I'll be canvassing for Pramila Jayapal again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately the CA DMV screwed up voter rolls and I got sent a Republican primary ballot in the mail.

Mail-in voting is great, failed bureaucracies less so.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    In general, the idea of strategic voting makes sense, but I've always argued that it's more about voting rather than staying the fuck home and pouting like a kid who got told "TWO cookies, not THREE".

The idea that you should pick your party leader based on what people who don't support your party desire is bafflingly insane. It states your party has no ideological underpinnings, and will bow and scrape to whatever bullshit you think will earn you votes. If that's where you want to hang your hat, so be it, but it was the death of the Republican Party, ideologically, and it's starting to kill the Democrats, too, and I'll say so nice and loud.

If you want Sanders and the nomination goes to Biden, and you don't vote, that's a shitty decision. It says you think Biden's an equally bad option as Trump. If that's not the case, fuckin' vote.

In the primary, support whatever candidate you want. This isn't a place for being strategic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    Is it true that Bloomberg was a Republican up until a year ago?

I kinda feel that voting for Bloomberg to get Trump out of office is the same as voting for Trump running as a Democrat to get Bloomberg out of the White House.
    He was an independent. But his only public office was Mayor of New York where he was a Republican with Republican polices like Stop and Frisk.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If you want Sanders and the nomination goes to Biden, and you don't vote, that's a shitty decision. It says you think Biden's an equally bad option as Trump. If that's not the case, fuckin' vote.
    I've told and heard many analogies. One I like is the idea of a bus stop where you have the choice of only 2 busses - one goes to a place way out in the country, and the other one explodes, taking the bus station you're in with it. At least taking the 1 bus will give you a chance to catch another bus later. The other option simply doesn't.

Another analogy I like is this one I saw yesterday:

If only given two options and no others are immediately available or can be created, I chose life. The one that keeps me breathing another day so I can fix whatever comes next.

Ironic... I just got done watching the latest episode of Doctor Who, and I realized she just did the exact same thing in this episode. She made a huge decision that affected the lives of billions... and as she said: step 2 of the plan is to fix what I broke with step 1.

Reminds me of a point in the old anime Trigun - where Vash was forced to kill somebody with a gun, to break his vow and to break his spirit and had no way out. His realization after it all was that sometimes in life, we don't get the perfect option or choice. Sometimes we just have to go with what we got. Sometimes, simply surviving is winning.

I'll always say, a vote isn't an endorsement - it's just a choice in action in an imperfect system. Whichever choice gets me the closest towards fixing said imperfect system, no matter how many steps away it takes me, I'll do it over never taking a step at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    Is it true that Bloomberg was a Republican up until a year ago?

I kinda feel that voting for Bloomberg to get Trump out of office is the same as voting for Trump running as a Democrat to get Bloomberg out of the White House.
    he's a political chameleon that has no actual stances other than an personal gain and actual authoritarianism.

literally any other candidate would be better for the country than him, literally anyone. we could go four years without a president at all and come out better than we would have with bloomberg. if you want a plutocrat oligarch, he's your candidate. vote for bernie, biden, whoever, just don't vote for this absolute monster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kinda funny and lighted hearted news on the campaign trail.

Topless protesters storm stage as Bernie Sanders campaigns in Nevada

Bare chests vs. the Revolution?

I'm betting on the chests.
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post

Topless protesters storm stage as Bernie Sanders campaigns in Nevada
    It's that kind of election season, huh.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Oh, don't worry, the Trumpers are already out on various social media calling Sanders weak because he didn't, um, assault a woman? Apparently that's a requirement for being president now.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's that kind of election season, huh.
    Mind as well have fun now. The acrimony and gaslighting is only going to get worse.

I mean it's like the little boys that cried wolf.
    The insisted that:
    Hillary is a republican.
    Harris is a republican and a cop.
    Warren is a republican.
    Even Joe Biden is a republican.

Is Bloomberg really a republican? I mean being against the NRA, supporting climate change policy. Taking on Big Sugar one gulp at a time. These are peculiar positions for a republican to hold.
    Just asking rhetorically.

Speaking of being a paid shill for the Sugar Lobby...
    Big Sugar: Sanders And Rubio Share A Sweet Tooth

But on one issue, Sanders walks in lockstep with the political establishment on Capitol Hill—Uncle Sam’s sugar-buying scheme.

The federal program that resembles a Soviet Union relic works as follows: the U.S. Department of Agriculture guarantees a price floor for American sugar, below which it spends hundreds of millions of dollars to buy up excess sugar and bump the price back up to the minimum. Uncle Sam then sells the sugar at a steep discount to ethanol producers. Limits on imports also artificially prop up the prices that domestic sugar producers can charge.

American consumers get fleeced on two fronts. Not only must they foot the bill for the subsidy scheme, they also have to pay higher prices at the grocery store for sugar, cakes, and confections. The U.S. sugar regime is cronyism at its finest.

why do this to bernie? some protestors did this to him last time, too. these are the people that want him to win, why fuck with him on his campaign trail?

would make more sense to do it with a trump rally, or bloomberg, or one of the other moderates. oh well, at least he showed a bit more strength this time, not letting the woman take the mic out of his hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    why do this to bernie? some protestors did this to him last time, too. these are the people that want him to win, why fuck with him on his campaign trail?

would make more sense to do it with a trump rally, or bloomberg, or one of the other moderates. oh well, at least he showed a bit more strength this time, not letting the woman take the mic out of his hands.
    Just spitballin' here but;
    Maybe they think Bernie is a bit of a chauvinist. So they choose to protest bare chested to highlight this.

What does that reaction shot say to other observers?

Just spitballin' here but;
    Maybe they think Bernie is a bit of a chauvinist. So they choose to protest bare chested to highlight this.

i think they just know they can get away with it.

he has his secret service way too lax, and i hope it doesn't bite him one day. that woman could have had a knife, and she just casually walked up and grabbed his mic and it was quite a while before the ss guy got over to her.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    was that sarcasm? because the republican controlled senate lets Trump do whatever he wants and the man has stacked his cabinet with billionaires and millionaires. You are clearly detached from reality talking about questionable investments when Trump is in bed with the Russians, Saudis, Turkey among many others.
    I mean, the poster you're responding to believes that all Democrat candidates want open borders (in the sense that open borders means anyone is able to cross the border and become a citizen, not the ACTUAL definition of open borders, but the bastardized version of open borders that Republicans have made a dog whistle). No Democratic candidate has actually stated that they want open borders, they've simply expressed dislike for the dumbass concentration camps and overuse of ICE to harass Mexicans. But the Republican Senators, Congressmen, news stations, etc. all state that Democrats are pushing open borders, so of course our "independent" here likes to screech that talking point over and over.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say it's the same face the CEO of Yahoo made after seeing exactly what he purchased for 1.1 billion dollars.

And also kinda makes me question if he's ever even been to Vegas in a recreational context. Now I kinda feel the next Democratic debate needs a "see how your candidates react to boobs" segment.

Joe Biden isn't invited because it's unfair to let a boob compete in a boob judging contest.