1. #2961
    Merely a Setback cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    26,749
    Quote Originally Posted by CommunismWillWin View Post
    Nobody else is even close to his sort of politics in the primaries, and he is still a strong frontrunner.
    Which is why he's sucking ass in the polls and isn't really a contender.


    Quote Originally Posted by CommunismWillWin View Post
    So tough shit, liberals are going to have to suck it up and accept the possibility of somebody who is actually slighly left-of-center winning.
    Exactly - tough shit to the Bernie supporters. Did your candidate have a heart attack during the beginning of the primaries? Tough shit - they're out. If you're leaning left of center for the Democrats, Warren is your choice. Bernie is done.
    No one is above the law!

  2. #2962
    @CommunismWillWin

    While I am a Bernie supporter, I have to agree with @cubby on this one. While I think that Sanders could defeat Trump in an election if it came down to it. His health scare will be a giant weight around his neck which makes it harder.

    And with the primaries, it makes it a much bigger issue during that, especially since we don't have ranked choice voting and we have Sanders and Warren effectively poaching huge sections of the base where Bernie is Warren voters #2 and Warren is Bernie voters #2 but since we have what we have, that allows for a Biden type to come in the middle with the poached votes.

    I have said repeatedly that one needs to back out and endorse the other and the heart issues basically clinched that deal on who it should be.

    Bernie Sanders SHOULD bow out and endorse Elizabeth Warren under the condition that she actually push for Medicare for All. And Sanders should stump for her and make it clear that she WILL be pushing for that goal as well. That unifies that base for a pretty strong primary win and also puts that issue on the table which WILL be getting coverage during the general.

    And you have to remember, a good portion of the reason for the media blackout on Sanders was they figured out his message and the facts are pretty popular and in his favor any time he was allowed to get his voice out.

    Warren with Sanders endorsement could basically do it. Especially since she is a policy wonk while Trump is just a bullshit artist.

    Her biggest flaws right now is her attempts to "Fit In" just make her look awkward and she should just be herself and stand by her positions and stop trying to politics when her views are already popular. Looking wish/washie works against her and makes her look dishonest.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

  3. #2963
    The Unstoppable Force CommunismWillWin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Russia that is very communist, da.
    Posts
    24,996
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Which is why he's sucking ass in the polls and isn't really a contender.
    Pulling shit out of your ass now?



    Exactly - tough shit to the Bernie supporters. Did your candidate have a heart attack during the beginning of the primaries? Tough shit - they're out. If you're leaning left of center for the Democrats, Warren is your choice. Bernie is done.
    lol Warren is as centrist as they come, even slowly backing out of M4A. She is just another Obama, anybody buying it is too naive.


    And who are you to decide if they are out? Talking about arrogance. You really think most people give a shit? In a country where a fat slob who does not even exercise gets a ton of votes? Liberals always seem to treat politics like some kind of game. "Oh he had a health problem, minus 100 points!!!".


    Its disgusting, shows how privileged you need to be to become a liberal.

    @Fugus
    His health won't be a problem against Trump of all people.
    Last edited by CommunismWillWin; 2019-11-30 at 01:32 AM.
    Conservatism and its off-shoots are the most rotten idealogies to ever exist in human history.
    Anarcho-communism =/ Stalinism.
    FULLY AUTOMATED GAY LUXURY SPACE COMMUNISM

  4. #2964
    Quote Originally Posted by CommunismWillWin View Post
    Pulling shit out of your ass now?




    lol Warren is as centrist as they come, even slowly backing out of M4A. She is just another Obama, anybody buying it is too naive.


    And who are you to decide if they are out? Talking about arrogance. You really think most people give a shit? In a country where a fat slob who does not even exercise gets a ton of votes? Liberals always seem to treat politics like some kind of game. "Oh he had a health problem, minus 100 points!!!".


    Its disgusting, shows how privileged you need to be to become a liberal.

    @Fugus
    His health won't be a problem against Trump of all people.
    I know his health isn't a problem against Trump directly, the man is a friggin sloth that thinks exercise depletes you and McDonalds is a good thing.

    I am saying that his health will have an impact on the voters who will come out to an extent and depress them and that when it comes to the primaries, it will depress them and also that his and Warren poach votes greatly among each other.

    Look at how many have Sanders but would go with Warren as their #2 and vise versa, then compare them to the ones that would prefer Biden or have him as their #2. They greatly poach votes.

    I hate to say it, you can ask Cubby, Skroe and the rest, I am a major Sanders supporter and was during his last election and I feel that if he made it to the general against Trump, he has a great chance of winning but that doesn't change the fact that we don't have ranked choice and that he still has to make it through those primaries to get to the general.

    But we don't have ranked choice, either Sanders or Warren NEEDS to back out to solidify a contender and that health issue clinched it, especially as it will be harped on the entire time.

    But I would vote for Plank from Ed, Edd, and Eddy before I voted for Trump, that still doesn't change the fact that if Plank starts to develop a split that it won't cost him voters or that Plank would still have to make it through the primaries to get to it.

    Either way we cut it, Sanders poaches from Warren, Warren poaches from Sanders and Sanders health scare WILL cost him votes whether we like it or not.

    Edit:

    And I am not saying for Sanders to just leave. I am saying that he bows out and endorses Warren under the conditions that she pushes for ACTUAL Medicare For All as part of her plan, no compromises and actually sticks to it.


    Hopefully Warren has learned that trying to act like everyone else makes her look awkward and he waffling and backing out of what the people actually want makes her look dishonest. Stop trying to play politics and just go on the policies.
    Last edited by Fugus; 2019-11-30 at 02:06 AM.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

  5. #2965
    Merely a Setback cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    26,749
    Quote Originally Posted by CommunismWillWin View Post
    lol Warren is as centrist as they come, even slowly backing out of M4A. She is just another Obama, anybody buying it is too naive.
    Another Obama is exactly what we need right now. Too far left and we lose key EC states.


    And who are you to decide if they are out? Talking about arrogance. You really think most people give a shit? In a country where a fat slob who does not even exercise gets a ton of votes? Liberals always seem to treat politics like some kind of game. "Oh he had a health problem, minus 100 points!!!".
    For me, I am. For the country, IMO, I am as well. Bernie had a heart attack. HEART ATTACK. If this was Biden or Warren I'd be saying the exact same thing. He is out. And should have bowed out the moment he recovered enough to put two coherent words together. Everyone who is undecided (and those are all that matter right now) will be looking at his running mate and asking if they should be president right now.

    Plus, god forbid, he fucking keels over during the general election stumping period. We'd be fucked. And yes, any of the top contenders are old enough to stroke out, but Bernie has already had one.

    It's his duty to resign and support another.


    Its disgusting, shows how privileged you need to be to become a liberal.
    It's disgusting, shows how unobjective you need to be to become a liberal (am I doing that right? )

    I love that you think practical, objective decisions are "arrogant" - you probably ought to look that word up - ignorance should not be embraced. Anyhoo, the people looking out for what's best for the country - i.e. getting Trump out of office - agree, Bernie is done. He might be polling well, but that's just because his ego is writing checks his body cannot cash.
    Last edited by cubby; 2019-11-30 at 02:19 AM.
    No one is above the law!

  6. #2966
    Does it seem like disengenous attacks are up this cycle... it certainly seems like literally everyone is gunning for Buttigieg.

    AOC blasted an new ad of his because it doesn't blanket make college free for all. It has a cutoff at 150k with some extra things to drive down costs.

    Keep in mind this is a similar plan that Bernie himself endorsed for NYC.

    Basically the ad was at 40k views before the attack... now its sitting at 2.4m views. This seems like a major backfire.

    Don't get me wrong, I respect the heck out of AOC for who she is and what she's accomplished so far, but her ideas and methods are not remotely as popular as Twitter believes them to be.

    My way or the highway only works if you safely control the Senate with like 70 votes. It's also raised the divisiveness between the right and the left portions of our country.

  7. #2967
    While beating Trump is certainly important, it can't be the only thing people vote on. Republicans are going to be there for the foreseeable future and they're going to continue to be evil fucks like Bush and Trump.

    This "You have to vote for the right wing Democrats or the Republicans win!" thing is just the right wing democrats not wanting to lose power. It's made even more stupid by their chosen right wing candidate losing to Trump in the last election.

    We need more than just right wing vs. extreme insane right wing as options in this country.

    Hell, right wing Democrat establishment lost to Bush twice too, one of those AFTER Bush started stupid wars for no good reason. Obama managed to win because he promised changed, not status quo.

  8. #2968
    I think we can do better than Pete's Plan, but I'd still support it because it's a decent enough starting point. Once everyone sees how successful it can be the range can be expanded in his second term (supposing he wins twice).

    As for voting for a conservative dem, I'm perfectly happy to do so if it's them vs Trump. I don't think someone like Biden is the best person for the job, but him or Buttigieg/Harris/Whatever would still be significantly better for the country and world than Trump.

    This is the primary, though. We should be allowed to criticize or question the positions candidates have. Having someone like AOC call out Pete isn't the end of the world or some massive war. It's perfectly fine. Neither far left dems or Buttigieg's supporters should be pissy about it.

  9. #2969
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    While beating Trump is certainly important, it can't be the only thing people vote on. Republicans are going to be there for the foreseeable future and they're going to continue to be evil fucks like Bush and Trump.

    This "You have to vote for the right wing Democrats or the Republicans win!" thing is just the right wing democrats not wanting to lose power. It's made even more stupid by their chosen right wing candidate losing to Trump in the last election.

    We need more than just right wing vs. extreme insane right wing as options in this country.

    Hell, right wing Democrat establishment lost to Bush twice too, one of those AFTER Bush started stupid wars for no good reason. Obama managed to win because he promised changed, not status quo.
    This is another point I have brought up as well, they can't run on "Not Trump" otherwise they send voters home as well, they need to give voters something to actually vote FOR and not just a big bad to vote against. Also why I keep going back to Sanders and Warren, they are the main ones who actually are giving people a reason to vote.

    I know we got Yang too, but I don't see his UBI as an idea who's time has come yet. While I see that as a very possible thing in our future, it will be decades away at this point. We can just mandate lower hours required to count as "Full Time" and raise the wages and force the worst to be spread around but the UBI won't be a thing till we reach a point were that isn't even a viable option anymore. And if they wait till things are so bad we just skip straight to the UBI, I expect things to get pretty bloody in the process but if we go too soon (As I feel we are now) it will greatly backfire.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

  10. #2970
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    While beating Trump is certainly important, it can't be the only thing people vote on. Republicans are going to be there for the foreseeable future and they're going to continue to be evil fucks like Bush and Trump.

    This "You have to vote for the right wing Democrats or the Republicans win!" thing is just the right wing democrats not wanting to lose power. It's made even more stupid by their chosen right wing candidate losing to Trump in the last election.

    We need more than just right wing vs. extreme insane right wing as options in this country.

    Hell, right wing Democrat establishment lost to Bush twice too, one of those AFTER Bush started stupid wars for no good reason. Obama managed to win because he promised changed, not status quo.
    Are you insinuating that a plan that makes college free for 80% of all families in the country is right wing? That seems a bit fucking ridiculous.

  11. #2971
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    From the data we have, he could have beat him in 2016 as well and it took the DNC and the media working to screw him that kept Clinton from getting ahead then.|

    Added bonus, the actions to get past him in that primary also directly lead to running off a portion of her base which was one of many gaffs they made that allowed Trump to "Win" while still losing by will of the people.
    It’s a bit insane I still have to say this but Bernie lost in 2016 because his hype-centric campaign couldn’t turn big crowds of young people in Brooklyn into big voter turnout on Super Tuesday. Bernie could win caucuses. He struggled with primaries. His campaign staff were never up to the task and his supporters outright refused to even address the problem as it was happening. The people he trusted to actually run Bernie 2016 took a lot of those $27 donations and gave it to the same old Democratic also-ran consultancies that has been failing their way to profitability since the early 1990s. What those $27 consultancies didn’t do was turn out victories in Super Tuesday states by. Holding infrastructure. Some must win states of his has a handful of paid staffers and that was it. It was a miracle he got any votes.

    I brought this up constantly in the 2016 democratic primary thread and BernieBros would go berserk at someone dare questioning if the Chosen One has a first rate political op (he didn’t, it was third rate). Passion and ideas are no substitute for organization. Every candidate thinks their ideas are the best. It’s the campaigns ability to get out voters that matters most and Bernie 2016 sucked at that. It was essentially mathematically over after that day except in an unlikely scenario where Bernie won Nearly every big state remaining. But his supporters refused to embrace reality.

    Want to know when my moment of schenfraude came? It was when after the primary election,
    In August 2016, Bernie stood up his PAC and named former campaign manager Jeff Weaver to head it. And within two weeks almost the entirety of the executive committee resigned in protest, for exactly the reasons I described above. Weaver was a grifter who has failed in his job. And here they were, getting ready for a sequel.

    So no. HRC didn’t screw Bernie. The DNC didn’t screw Bernie. The media didn’t screw Bernie. Only Bernie screwed Bernie, and the Bernie Bro’s, who refused to demand that the Chosen one run a top tier campaign helped him do it.

    Bernie’s 2020 campaign is more of the same. All that enthusiasm and Elizabeth Warren has shunted the would be nominee-presumptive into third or forth place. That’s Bernie’s terrible campaign staff at work yet again. But really, it would get fixed. The cult on the right won’t demand quality control from their Dear Leader President. And the cult on the left won’t demand quality control from the prophet of Burlington either. They’ll laughably call themselves “democratic socialists” in their Facebook posts, but they won’t ask the campaign to do their job right.

  12. #2972
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    -snip-
    You can rest assured of one thing, if the Democrats are going to choose a moderate as their presidential nominee and they lose, everyone will remember for a long time not to vote moderate Democrat anymore.

    In this polarized market is seems counter-intuitive to me to try and push "moderates" forward anyway. Most people will just think: 'another corrupt average asshole' when they see a 'moderate' politician. You are underestimating their hatred for average / moderate elites.
    Last edited by Rochana; 2019-11-30 at 12:16 PM.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold.

  13. #2973
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    You can rest assured of one thing, if the Democrats are going to choose a moderate as their presidential nominee and they lose, everyone will remember for a long time not to vote moderate Democrat anymore.

    In this polarized market is seems counter-intuitive to me to try and push "moderates" forward anyway. Most people will just think: 'another corrupt average asshole' when they see a 'moderate' politician. You are underestimating their hatred for average / moderate elites.
    Oh for pity’s sake. You people....

    My post is about a “moderate Democrat”. It’s about two things:

    -Bernie fucking Sanders and his bad 2016 campaign that squandered enthusiasm, and the fanboys who let it happen.

    -the importance of campaign infrastructure and how turning Donation money into machinery is more important than raw enthusiasm.

    You can apply those lessons to ANY Democrat, or Republican. Because the ideas are nonpartisan. To win, it can’t be a complete shit show. Sanders 2016 was. The end. The media and DNC didn’t fuck Bernie. Bernie fucked Bernie. And when his PAC was going to be more of the same, its leaders mass quit.

    Warren has taken his advice. By all accounts she’s running an excellent campaign. Joe Bidens is a mess apparently, but positive name recognition has carried him far. But it’s probably reaching its limits.

    Bernie 2016 was a story of enthusiasm devouring any concept of standards. And his Super Tuesday disaster was inevitable because of it.

    Here too, we are walking into a sequel. The situation has not changed that much. Biden is still in course to win many Super Tuesday states, albeit less than a few months ago. Buttigieg will work. A few. Warren and Sanders split the progressive vote allowing Biden to divide and conquer them in winner take all states.

    So progressives have a problem.. a problem that hasn’t changed in months. To best Biden, Warren or Sanders have to quit and one has to eat the others supporters. The new twist is if Mayor Buttigieg can split the centrist vote for sure but that’s TBD.

  14. #2974
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    You can rest assured of one thing, if the Democrats are going to choose a moderate as their presidential nominee and they lose, everyone will remember for a long time not to vote moderate Democrat anymore.

    In this polarized market is seems counter-intuitive to me to try and push "moderates" forward anyway. Most people will just think: 'another corrupt average asshole' when they see a 'moderate' politician. You are underestimating their hatred for average / moderate elites.
    Except that this is a gross misscharectary sation of Skroe tbh.
    He doesn't say "vore for a moderate". He says "Learn to play politics".

    FDR ran in the 1940ies election on a promise not to have US troops in a foreign war. Knowing that said war would happen and the US would get included in it with soldiers.

    Democrats should run on policies like electoral reform and sensible economics. While planning on doing far larger things like M4A that can be swung easily by other shit.

    FDR got the New Deal through congress through shrewed as fuck politics. Not through having either party behind him.
    - Lars

  15. #2975
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    Except that this is a gross misscharectary sation of Skroe tbh.
    He doesn't say "vore for a moderate". He says "Learn to play politics".

    FDR ran in the 1940ies election on a promise not to have US troops in a foreign war. Knowing that said war would happen and the US would get included in it with soldiers.

    Democrats should run on policies like electoral reform and sensible economics. While planning on doing far larger things like M4A that can be swung easily by other shit.

    FDR got the New Deal through congress through shrewed as fuck politics. Not through having either party behind him.
    Democrats are terrible at politics because they need to wave the flag of the almighty cause at every chance they get. Their ability to act and think strategically is laughable. It would be quaint if it didn’t play into Republicans hands every time.

    Take M4A. By all means, President Democrat could advance the fight for M4A. As President, go nuts. They have 4 years to make the case and lay the foundation In a picemeil fashion in spending bills. But to get elected President? The verdict of M4A is clear. It is not a vote getter in state’s, districts and demographics Democrats must carry I order to win. Trying to change people’s mind in an election in this political climate is a waste of time and resources. Calibrate the message for them, tell them what they want to hear. Then get elected and do what they want.

    This is not hard. They make it hard. And that’s why Trump has a 60% chance of a second term in my view when he should have a 10% chance. Not because the Democrats aren’t “moderate”. But because they arent running the strat to win over essential voters.

    Once elected though, if they want to live the social democratic life... go nuts. But you don’t win that way.

  16. #2976
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    While beating Trump is certainly important, it can't be the only thing people vote on. Republicans are going to be there for the foreseeable future and they're going to continue to be evil fucks like Bush and Trump.

    This "You have to vote for the right wing Democrats or the Republicans win!" thing is just the right wing democrats not wanting to lose power. It's made even more stupid by their chosen right wing candidate losing to Trump in the last election.

    We need more than just right wing vs. extreme insane right wing as options in this country.

    Hell, right wing Democrat establishment lost to Bush twice too, one of those AFTER Bush started stupid wars for no good reason. Obama managed to win because he promised changed, not status quo.
    I'm pretty far left, at least by American standards, and I don't think any of the Democrats running are "right wing," or even "blue dog" level of conservative Democrat, unless I'm forgetting somebody (and if they're that memorable, then...). I think they all share or at least espouse core progressive ideals. Clinton was to the left as Mitt Romney is to the right: a smarmy, unctuous corporatist, both of whom gave off an "I'd tell you the truth but you're too dumb to hear it" vibe every time they talked, which, in fairness, is probably true, and she still won the popular vote. If she had focused some energy and smarter microtargeting at non-degreed white folks in a handful of states, she very likely could have picked up the 78k votes needed to beat Trump. The finer points of the current candidates' economic worldviews are completely irrelevant--even if a progressive dream baby wins the election, no one's abolishing capitalism any time soon.

    A couple other things to note about these intramural battles for the soul of the party, where we try to parse out who we are and who's truer and what voters really want and which policy issues to highlight, and try in various and usually insufficient ways to explain Trump's win, none of which really hold up to scrutiny (it was economic anxiety! except, it wasn't; it was uneducated people! mmm yeah, but it was educated people, too) but we don't even have to hurl tea leaves at each other: since tv became a thing, we have voted in the most charismatic, and when no actual charisma is in play, we have voted in the one with "strongest" personality (and we're generally content and dumb enough to extrapolate "strength" from never apologizing--which means Republicans). This, and some status threat, is why Obama voters became Trump voters. This muck we drag each other into is ultimately pretty useless. Republicans have spent the last 4 or 5 decades convincing parts of the country that Democrats are the Poindexters who made you feel bad in high school and want to take your stuff and give it to brown people, which counts just enough in the right states, while we're busy squabbling about purity or some other nonsense that keeps us from even being in a position to enact any policy. I've said many times that Democrats keep bringing cupcakes to a knife fight--I don't have to like it, but Skroe is right; we need to get fucking smarter.


    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Democrats are terrible at politics because they need to wave the flag of the almighty cause at every chance they get. Their ability to act and think strategically is laughable. It would be quaint if it didn’t play into Republicans hands every time.

    Take M4A. By all means, President Democrat could advance the fight for M4A. As President, go nuts. They have 4 years to make the case and lay the foundation In a picemeil fashion in spending bills. But to get elected President? The verdict of M4A is clear. It is not a vote getter in state’s, districts and demographics Democrats must carry I order to win. Trying to change people’s mind in an election in this political climate is a waste of time and resources. Calibrate the message for them, tell them what they want to hear. Then get elected and do what they want.

    This is not hard. They make it hard. And that’s why Trump has a 60% chance of a second term in my view when he should have a 10% chance. Not because the Democrats aren’t “moderate”. But because they arent running the strat to win over essential voters.

    Once elected though, if they want to live the social democratic life... go nuts. But you don’t win that way.
    "Republicans are great at campaigning and shit at governing," said somebody.

  17. #2977
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    I'm pretty far left, at least by American standards, and I don't think any of the Democrats running are "right wing," or even "blue dog" level of conservative Democrat, unless I'm forgetting somebody (and if they're that memorable, then...). I think they all share or at least espouse core progressive ideals. Clinton was to the left as Mitt Romney is to the right: a smarmy, unctuous corporatist, both of whom gave off an "I'd tell you the truth but you're too dumb to hear it" vibe every time they talked, which, in fairness, is probably true, and she still won the popular vote. If she had focused some energy and smarter microtargeting at non-degreed white folks in a handful of states, she very likely could have picked up the 78k votes needed to beat Trump. The finer points of the current candidates' economic worldviews are completely irrelevant--even if a progressive dream baby wins the election, no one's abolishing capitalism any time soon.

    A couple other things to note about these intramural battles for the soul of the party, where we try to parse out who we are and who's truer and what voters really want and which policy issues to highlight, and try in various and usually insufficient ways to explain Trump's win, none of which really hold up to scrutiny (it was economic anxiety! except, it wasn't; it was uneducated people! mmm yeah, but it was educated people, too) but we don't even have to hurl tea leaves at each other: since tv became a thing, we have voted in the most charismatic, and when no actual charisma is in play, we have voted in the one with "strongest" personality (and we're generally content and dumb enough to extrapolate "strength" from never apologizing--which means Republicans). This, and some status threat, is why Obama voters became Trump voters. This muck we drag each other into is ultimately pretty useless. Republicans have spent the last 4 or 5 decades convincing parts of the country that Democrats are the Poindexters who made you feel bad in high school and want to take your stuff and give it to brown people, which counts just enough in the right states, while we're busy squabbling about purity or some other nonsense that keeps us from even being in a position to enact any policy. I've said many times that Democrats keep bringing cupcakes to a knife fight--I don't have to like it, but Skroe is right; we need to get fucking smarter.
    This. I've practically given up trying to get a group of my progressive friends in the US to fight smarter. Fight harder for the state level and grass roots. Rather than caring about the big officess.
    They just can't focus on it and know that since they are in the right if they just shout loudly enough people will get it.
    - Lars

  18. #2978
    The Unstoppable Force CommunismWillWin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Russia that is very communist, da.
    Posts
    24,996
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    You can rest assured of one thing, if the Democrats are going to choose a moderate as their presidential nominee and they lose, everyone will remember for a long time not to vote moderate Democrat anymore.

    In this polarized market is seems counter-intuitive to me to try and push "moderates" forward anyway. Most people will just think: 'another corrupt average asshole' when they see a 'moderate' politician. You are underestimating their hatred for average / moderate elites.
    Moderates in the US are just conservatives, so ofc its what conservatives want.
    Conservatism and its off-shoots are the most rotten idealogies to ever exist in human history.
    Anarcho-communism =/ Stalinism.
    FULLY AUTOMATED GAY LUXURY SPACE COMMUNISM

  19. #2979
    Old God I Push Buttons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    10,923
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    This. I've practically given up trying to get a group of my progressive friends in the US to fight smarter. Fight harder for the state level and grass roots. Rather than caring about the big officess.
    They just can't focus on it and know that since they are in the right if they just shout loudly enough people will get it.
    Nonsense! Once elected, Chairman Bernie will just snap his magical socialist fingers and all of his policies will automatically be implemented!

    ¡Viva la Revolución!


  20. #2980
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Nonsense! Once elected, Chairman Bernie will just snap his magical socialist fingers and all of his policies will automatically be implemented!

    ¡Viva la Revolución!

    Actually he can and we can all thank Donald Trump for that executive orders, national emergencies and "national security" concerns if he chooses to do so. If there is one thing that might happen after Trump is the curving of the power of the executive but I am not holding my breath. The reason we are here is because congress is broken and the executive has taken on more and more power to get things done.

    The founding founders never meant for congress to be a polarized two party system it was designed to force compromise but we are now sitting at decades of a do nothing congress. You get maybe one major policy change per administration if you are lucky.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    This. I've practically given up trying to get a group of my progressive friends in the US to fight smarter. Fight harder for the state level and grass roots. Rather than caring about the big officess.
    They just can't focus on it and know that since they are in the right if they just shout loudly enough people will get it.
    To be fair the democratic party never recovered from Obama, he cared only about his legacy and left the party in tatters. He wanted to be above the fray and did nothing as democrats were getting devastated at the state level, he also did nothing about gerrymandering and voter suppression. Obama did more damage to the left than any tea party or right wing movement.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •