1. #17001
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Honestly, we shouldn't care if he drops out at this point. Primaries (and elections in general) are not about candidates giving up until there's only one option and votes don't matter. They're about the votes. Let the people have their say, even if the conclusion is really obvious at this point.

    Pulling out to refocus your support behind a remaining candidate makes sense. Not pulling out when you're one of the Final Two. If you realize you've got no shot, though, now's the time to start laying the groundwork for getting your supporters to back the other guy in the general.
    Dropping out though means people will not be tempted to go out to a crowded event to vote for him in future primaries. It solves a health concern.
    Hail Lilith and see you in Hell!

  2. #17002
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Six states matter in this election. Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvannia, Florida, North Carolina, Arizona.
    I keep seeing this line too often.

    But Congress also matters. The Senate especially, under the circumstances.

  3. #17003
    Well see how serious Joe is in his VP pick, but if he picks some other centrist or paid corporate candidate he'll lose a lot of young voters. Because no one is going to trust Biden to actually fight for his weak college plan, or even if he came out in support of some of Bernie's key policies.

    It's up to Biden to get those votes, because Bernie voters are more policy oriented as opposed to "this candidate feels more electable".

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    The mainstream media got one last dig in at Bernie before he dropped out.

    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/berni...151757570.html

    Title: Bye, bye Bernie

    So barring a catastrophe, Joe Biden will be the Democratic nominee running against President Trump in the general election that essentially begins now.[/b]
    Yeah the writer seems to think this will be the End of Bernie's policies or platform.

    This just means Bernie will have more time to put his grass roots campaign into challenging primary elections and pushing more democrats further left.

    But not all surprising by the condescension as the same Finance writers are pulling their hair out by the financial collapse. They are now calling for Endless Socialism to save their precious stock market. All which has done nothing but turning 2 trillion dollars into smoke.
    The worst part about the internet is that it let the truly crazy, racist, and bigots find each other easily.

  4. #17004
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    62,470
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Dropping out though means people will not be tempted to go out to a crowded event to vote for him in future primaries. It solves a health concern.
    That's actually a fair point, and I'll grant you that justification, even if I don't think it was why others were calling for Bernie to drop out.

  5. #17005
    Merely a Setback cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    27,363
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Helping by offering less money and to less people is country over party how? And backing that as a good plan is proving your point how?
    What are you even talking about? You proposed a hypothetical, and then guessed on a response after that. I suggested you were wrong because the GOP has always been party over country, while the Democrats have not.

    The actual proposal being proffered by Congress was just announced, so don't give me "I was talking about the actual bill" bullshit.

    You said this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Heck Trump could propose and seriously push for a full Universal Health Care system, straight copy paste the UK system and a bunch of the Democrat loyalists in this thread would suddenly oppose it and cite Blue Cross spokesmen for talking points.
    The Democrats would NOT oppose it, because, as I've pointed out and the facts demonstrate, the Democrats are about helping the country, while the GOP has become party-over-country.
    No one is above the law!

  6. #17006
    Quote Originally Posted by Starporal View Post
    Because, obviously, there is no practical difference between Biden and Trump. They are both old white men with senile dementia and a dodgy history of opposing even the mildest imaginable forms of progressive policies.

    The only possible reason any one could possibly care about the 2020 election now is reflexive tribalism. No one with intelligence cares which Republican they get.
    The candidates are superficially similar, therefore you believe must be identical in all respects because you can't be assed to actually dig any deeper than that.

  7. #17007
    Bloodsail Admiral wunksta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Heck Trump could propose and seriously push for a full Universal Health Care system, straight copy paste the UK system and a bunch of the Democrat loyalists in this thread would suddenly oppose it and cite Blue Cross spokesmen for talking points.
    There's no reason to believe that would happen. What precedent is there for that claim? But there is evidence that the GOP like Mitch McConnell would cut off their own noses to spite the Democrats.

    Say what you want about Democrats hating Trump, they don't hate him that much to pass up actual legislation.

  8. #17008
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    you probably the same type of person that shit on me for saying hitler did some things right.
    I've seen the things you say Hitler did right. You deserve to be shit on for that.

  9. #17009
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Interesting.

    One item of note - Sanders' appearance on Fox News was amazing in the way he brought people into the fold in understanding M4A. He was set to get his ass kicked, and instead blew them all away.

    I really do hope this time around Sanders' jumps in with both feet to support the winning nominee. The country needs it.
    I really thought he gave his all last time around, Hillary just hates his guts probably the same for Biden I am sure they will blame him too if things go south.

  10. #17010
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    What are you even talking about? You proposed a hypothetical, and then guessed on a response after that. I suggested you were wrong because the GOP has always been party over country, while the Democrats have not.

    The actual proposal being proffered by Congress was just announced, so don't give me "I was talking about the actual bill" bullshit.

    You said this:


    The Democrats would NOT oppose it, because, as I've pointed out and the facts demonstrate, the Democrats are about helping the country, while the GOP has become party-over-country.
    But you can't be a chest thumping anti-Trump manly man and also work with Trump to help the country.

    Which, if he was smart, he would start pushing bills that have no chance of success but would be opposed because Trump.

  11. #17011
    Merely a Setback cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    27,363
    Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    There's no reason to believe that would happen. What precedent is there for that claim? But there is evidence that the GOP like Mitch McConnell would cut off their own noses to spite the Democrats.

    Say what you want about Democrats hating Trump, they don't hate him that much to pass up actual legislation.
    Exactly. And all facts demonstrate that precisely. The Democrats are the only ones passing legislation. I mean, FFS, Moscow Mitch went home for a week-long break as the Coronavirus was going Pandemic. He had to be asked back to do his fucking job.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    But you can't be a chest thumping anti-Trump manly man and also work with Trump to help the country.

    Which, if he was smart, he would start pushing bills that have no chance of success but would be opposed because Trump.
    Yes, you can. It's interesting, on a number of levels, that you would think otherwise.
    No one is above the law!

  12. #17012
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Exactly. And all facts demonstrate that precisely. The Democrats are the only ones passing legislation. I mean, FFS, Moscow Mitch went home for a week-long break as the Coronavirus was going Pandemic. He had to be asked back to do his fucking job.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Yes, you can. It's interesting, on a number of levels, that you would think otherwise.
    Gonna hit a hard X to doubt on that.

    Don't know why people would work with someone they declared as the death of democracy. It would make that complaint...hollow.

  13. #17013
    The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    22,078
    Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    There's no reason to believe that would happen. What precedent is there for that claim? But there is evidence that the GOP like Mitch McConnell would cut off their own noses to spite the Democrats.

    Say what you want about Democrats hating Trump, they don't hate him that much to pass up actual legislation.
    My current evidence is the Democrats proposing limited targeted very low numbers of aide to people versus the GOP which is currently stating 1k checks for everyone for a couple of months and Cubby the UberDemocrat saying "Well these guys are smart so they must have a good reason".
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    Tankie Paleo-Conservatism with TERF characteristics / Socialism with My Chemical Romance characteristics. Caramelldansen Nationalism. MySpace was the Garden of Eden, Aimee Terese was right about Warren. Kim Yo-jong supporter and voter.

  14. #17014
    Every day I read this thread, I have to close my eyes and breathe slowly and remember that the internet and Twitter have nothing to do with our political reality. Cause this thread is bonkers bad.

  15. #17015
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    My current evidence is the Democrats proposing limited targeted very low numbers of aide to people versus the GOP which is currently stating 1k checks for everyone for a couple of months and Cubby the UberDemocrat saying "Well these guys are smart so they must have a good reason".
    Do you have a source for this because your assertions are rather vague?

  16. #17016
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Do you have a source for this because your assertions are rather vague?
    I too would like to see this "current evidence."

  17. #17017
    Immortal Fahrenheit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    7,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I too would like to see this "current evidence."
    Feels before Reals, yo.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

    Sovereign
    Mass Effect

  18. #17018
    I am Murloc! Milchshake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Publicly Shaming a Fascist
    Posts
    5,786
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I too would like to see this "current evidence."
    Odds are: it's a plagiarized opinion from some alt-right Reddit channel, or a copypasta from theIntercept.

    Glenn and his cadre of reporters are going all-in on the the "GOP are the real progressives".

    While ignoring the alternative bills from Booker/Bennet or Harris.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Sanders is "assessing his campaign"

    inc drop out in a week or two.
    Depends, this has happened the past two three weeks.

    It reveals there are two camps in Sanders campaign.
    1. Some really nice people that really believe in progress. They genuinely want unity on The Left.
    2. Grifters, who want to ride the "anti DNC Establishment" gravy train until the bitter end. The Sirotas, Turners, and Michael Moores


    Which does Sanders listen too moore?
    Last edited by Milchshake; 2020-03-18 at 07:58 PM.
    Welcome to GEN-OT, have a seat, we'll introduce you to the 23-year-old who will lecture you about how Democrats didn't try hard enough to improve the ACA, and once that's all set up you'll be assigned a socialist who supported Ron Paul up to 2015 to harass you forever.
    "Once bigotry or self-loathing permeate a given community, it is only a matter of time before deep metaphysical significance is assigned to the shape of human skulls."
    -Lady Foppington

  19. #17019
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Depends, this has happened the past two three weeks.

    It reveals there are two camps in Sanders campaign.
    1. Some really nice people that really believe in progress. They genuinely want unity on The Left.
    2. Grifters, who want to ride the "anti DNC Establishment" gravy train until the bitter end. The Sirotas, Turners, and Michael Moores


    Which does Sanders listen too moore?
    Or neither of these groups you made up and they are just concerned about the optics of having people vote with the virus situation. That's not even going into not knowing when the convention or other votes will be held. Sanders lost a while ago but the virus changes things something like the convention will probably not happen a closed door meeting between the party might though.

    As for unifying the left that's never going to happen it's a temporary alliance to get rid of Trump.

  20. #17020
    The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    22,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Do you have a source for this because your assertions are rather vague?
    Source? I read Cubby's post, and compared the offers of the Dems versus what Romney and Trump cooked up as an offer. What other source do you want?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    Tankie Paleo-Conservatism with TERF characteristics / Socialism with My Chemical Romance characteristics. Caramelldansen Nationalism. MySpace was the Garden of Eden, Aimee Terese was right about Warren. Kim Yo-jong supporter and voter.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •