Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    This is the main reason why Bernie winning would be a bad idea. Even if you agree with his ideals, he wouldn't be able to get anything done. He's been rather unsuccesful as a politician in getting anything done due to his inability to compromise.
    lol this is such nonsense.

Nobody will get anything done with Mitch McConnell in the Senate, and its insanely unlikely the Dems can win the senate in 2020.

Pretending that's unique to Sanders is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshingo View Post

Nobody will get anything done with Mitch McConnell in the Senate, and its insanely unlikely the Dems can win the senate in 2020.

Well, not insanely.

Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    Well, not insanely.
    Its so incredibly unlikely that its almost tantamount to a lie when the corporate candidates slam warren or sanders for not being able to "win the senate."

None of the candidates are going to win the Senate. Democrats are not going to win the Senate in 2020. Its all about keeping the House (Which they most likely will, if not lose one or two seats) and get the Senate in 2022.

Right. I think we all know it's not likely Sanders will be able to force through all his policies.

But that's not the point. The point is to force the national conversation to the left and tell the right wing hegemony in the US to go fuck itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    Right. I think we all know it's not likely Sanders will be able to force through all his policies.

But that's not the point. The point is to force the national conversation to the left and tell the right wing hegemony in the US to go fuck itself.
    I find it pretty astounding that people slam Sanders and Warren for a bold agenda. Yeah we definitely shouldn't try to get someone in office who actually wants to change things. We should just keep voting the same status quo that does actually nothing. What a noble aspiration.
    Last edited by Yoshingo; 2020-02-26 at 09:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    That isn’t it at all stop. What about his POLICIES scares you.
    Nothing. Because despite repeated insinuations to the contrary, I'm not in fact a secret neoliberal. That doesn't automatically mean I think he's a good fit for executive office. Policy is not the only thing that matters especially since...you know...the legislative agenda is set by Congress and not dictated by fiat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Its so incredibly unlikely that its almost tantamount to a lie when the corporate candidates slam warren or sanders for not being able to "win the senate."

None of the candidates are going to win the Senate. Democrats are not going to win the Senate in 2020. Its all about keeping the House (Which they most likely will, if not lose one or two seats) and get the Senate in 2022.
    Got anything to back that up? Susan Collins, Cory Gardner, and Mitch McConnell are all either behind or within the margin of error. Unlikely, sure, but as I said, not insanely so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    The bad kind of identity politics were on full display last night when Biden tried to play the race card with Sanders' opposition to Obama's policies. If you don't understand why some people on the left are tired of that shit too then I don't know what to tell you.
    "A centrist used the race card so I decided that minority concerns were a nuisance" is not the sort of opinion held by people we should be admiring.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Nothing. Because despite repeated insinuations to the contrary, I'm not in fact a secret neoliberal. That doesn't automatically mean I think he's a good fit for executive office. Policy is not the only thing that matters especially since...you know...the legislative agenda is set by Congress and not dictated by fiat.
    Congress gets changed by exciting Democrats to vote... what’s exciting about a person promising to not want to make major changes?

10+ Year Old Account
    Congress gets changed by exciting Democrats to vote... what’s exciting about a person promising to not want to make major changes?
    Good thing I'm not canvassing for any of the moderate candidates then, lol.

Biden caught out after telling a bizarre lie.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51648166

Not sure what he was trying to achieve with that lie, outside of hoping to somehow counter Sanders' civil rights arrest record.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    "A centrist used the race card so I decided that minority concerns were a nuisance" is not the sort of opinion held by people we should be admiring.
    I didn't say that, but ok.

I was pointing out an example of the kind of identity politics lots of people are fucking tired of, and then you took that as meaning minorities shouldn't have rights. Don't strain yourself trying to stretch that far.

Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    Got anything to back that up? Susan Collins, Cory Gardner, and Mitch McConnell are all either behind or within the margin of error. Unlikely, sure, but as I said, not insanely so.
    And Doug Collins is likely going to lose his senate seat. So even if all 3 of them are removed (Which is unlikely for any of those three), Democrats would still only be up 2, still in the minority.

Also your entire conversation is inherently implied to just assume Sanders would hurt everyone down ticket, when his policies are immensely popular in southern states.

So do you want to argue the Democrats can win the Senate? Great. I don't agree but Sanders doesn't hurt that lol. You know what DOES hurt it, or at least doesn't change anyone's mind? A milquetoast moderate. Because Republican voters will just vote Republican instead of a Democrat who supports Republican lite policies that they've pandered to offering to try and sway them. But they WILL actually support a more expansive social and health care program.

Conservatives: Ban muslims. Ban gay marriage. Ban illegal immigrants. Tell the poor to quit being a burden. Tell women to shut up about their rights and needs. Stop the war on christians. Stop telling men to not be shits......

oh yeah stop playing identity politics!!!!!

Liberals: Um....
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    Biden caught out after telling a bizarre lie.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51648166

Not sure what he was trying to achieve with that lie, outside of hoping to somehow counter Sanders' civil rights arrest record.
    What a lying dog faced pony soldier.

Not the first time he's made up stories or mixed up the details of multiple stories to create a fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Not the first time he's made up stories or mixed up the details of multiple stories to create a fiction.
    Probably his age is showing once again
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Lol where is the negotiation?

I don't want to negotiate with bigots, fuck them.

"let's find a nice compromise so you can discriminate against gay people" isn't passable.
    i'm talking about how the process works. currently there is a very specific set of circumstances that must be met for one party to be able to rule over the other, and people are advocating for changing things so one party to have complete power.
    then they wont have to compromise to discriminate.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

You understand that this is a good thing, right? Candidates and their campaigns admitting mistakes is GOOD. Let's not take them out back and shoot them for correcting mistakes.

And Doug Collins is likely going to lose his senate seat. So even if all 3 of them are removed (Which is unlikely for any of those three), Democrats would still only be up 2, still in the minority.

Also your entire conversation is inherently implied to just assume Sanders would hurt everyone down ticket, when his policies are immensely popular in southern states.

So do you want to argue the Democrats can win the Senate? Great. I don't agree but Sanders doesn't hurt that lol.
    I haven't talked about Sanders at all, other than to say I don't give a shit who the nominee is, so not sure who you're aiming at with that. Yeah, we'll probably lose Alabama, but there's still North Carolina and Arizona, too, and we'd need to net 4. Again, well within the realm of possibility and worth fighting for.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Probably his age is showing once again
    No, jesus - you guys. Stop doing the GOP's work for them. Correcting mistakes is a good thing. We want this to happen.