Please start banning people, not topics

Every topic worth discussing is forbidden, but the people who make these topics toxic are still around.

I understand that they could create burner accounts to keep on shit posting, but I doubt they would do that for a long time before getting bored and leaving for good if you continue banning them.

Please start banning people for good, like literally destroying their accounts. When they reach a certain infraction threshold, for example.

Your weird policy of never permabanning people is something I cannot understand, and I do not think it's industry standard behavior.

The quality of the forum, especially politics and gen ot will surely increase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Every topic worth discussing is forbidden, but the people who make these topics toxic are still around.

I understand that they could create burner accounts to keep on shit posting, but I doubt they would do that for a long time before getting bored and leaving for good if you continue banning them.

Please start banning people for good, like literally destroying their accounts. When they reach a certain infraction threshold, for example.

Your weird policy of never permabanning people is something I cannot understand, and I do not think it's industry standard behavior.

The quality of the forum, especially politics and gen ot will surely increase.
    There is this one guy who has been spamming burner accounts for months and months now. You probably know the one. Short post, always something along the lines of "America fuck yea!". Same guy, done at least 50 burner accounts. I'm not joking.

And they do permaban people. Ally, Ransath, Slimjim,Tijuana... Or at least I think they are permabanned. Haven't seen them in ages.

Oh, and Genn! Never been enough popcorn since he got kicked out...
    Last edited by Santti; 2019-07-07 at 10:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

There are forums where you can discuss reasonable topics with reasonable people. This isn't one of them. The only reason offtopic forums are still a thing here is exclusively for website traffic and clicks. Don't be fooled.

They do permaban though.

And I'm not sure why anyone would come to MMO-C in the first place to have meaningful debates in more serious topics. It's still the same small clique of posters saying the same things over and over. Take a snapshot from the first page now and 2010 and the topics will be the same. Bait, identity politics, doomsaying about WoW and the odd lore thread.

Not even the speculation thread is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    They do permaban though.

And I'm not sure why anyone would come to MMO-C in the first place to have meaningful debates in more serious topics. It's still the same small clique of posters saying the same things over and over. Take a snapshot from the first page now and 2010 and the topics will be the same. Bait, identity politics, doomsaying about WoW and the odd lore thread.

Not even the speculation thread is safe.
    The only thing I've ever seen is that bot accounts get deleted. Have never seen or heard of a permanent ban before for anybody.

I know quite some people asked for their accounts to be deleted and even that is not something mmo champ usually does.

The only thing I've ever seen is that bot accounts get deleted. Have never seen or heard of a permanent ban before for anybody.

I know quite some people asked for their accounts to be deleted and even that is not something mmo champ usually does.
    You not seeing it happen/hearing about it =/= they don't happen though.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...n-quot-a-thing

The OP of that thread is a prime example. Read the final post of the thread for info.

And the topics that are banned are likely so because of poster behaviour in general. At some point it becomes a pattern and then it's just easier to ban the topic full stop.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2019-07-07 at 10:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Going to just steal a quote from another post as to the reason why topics are forbidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    We have a forbidden topics list for a reason. Those topics universally and without exception result behaviour that isn't acceptable on our forums. They also require an enormous amount of time from our mod team to babysit for when (when, not if) they go bad, time that could be better and more efficiently spread covering the rest of the forum. Consequently, we have opted to just forbid those topics entirely.

We don't disagree that many of these are important topics that warrant discussion, but unfortunately MMOC has proven that it isn't capable of being a place where that happens. Since our primary purpose is as a video game forum, we're comfortable asking people to find more appropriate venues to have those conversations.
    That said, we obviously want to action people acting in bad faith on the forums. We have a pretty comprehensive infraction system in place to allow people a chance to correct their behaviour but in some cases where that doesn't appear to be happening or if our forums are being used as a venue for hate or vile activity, we can and do permanently ban their accounts.

This isn't a policy we have ever had as long as I've been around.

The system has always automatically banned people for hitting a certain threshold of active infraction points and in the last few years we've also made a point to manually review and ban problem actors in the forums without waiting for them to hit that threshold.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2019-07-07 at 10:59 PM. Reason: added quote/reply

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |