Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    You seem to think that there aren't drawbacks to any system and that we could simply replace our current healthcare system and suddenly all the problems people face with insurance would go away. For one, the two anecdotes you provide seem bizarre to me and not providing the full story. I have never had problems with my insurance and neither has anyone I know so that is my counter-anecdote.

If we are going off of our experiences, mine have been far worse with socialized medicine. I was staying with family friends in the suburbs of Paris about 10 years ago. They had a narrow staircase where I tripped and broke my leg and collarbone, it took about 3 hours to get me into the ER because of the long queues. A similar situation happened to me when I was a kid in Japan and I was stung by a jellyfish. If either of those things happened to me where I live now in the States, I would be in the ER within 15 minutes.

You aren't giving an honest assessment of how both of these systems function, you are simply looking at the worst of one and the best of the other. That's not how real life works. There are no magical solutions, only trade-offs (Edit: I accidentally plagiarized this line from Sowell). If the US were to adopt socialized medicine, it would cost $32 trillion over 10 years by most estimates. Instead of expensive insurance bills, you would pay more in taxes. You would need to wait longer to see doctors (America is already short on doctors due to, among other things, occupational licensing) and of course, most of the costs would not be paid by taxes they would just be added onto our national debt in the long run.

- - - Updated - - -

I said early symptoms, not risk factors. There certainly is medication you take that will help combined with lifestyle changes but I was referring to when someone is actually diagnosed which might be when they feel fine. Again, this is why insurance covers medication.
    hey. guy. they will not be diagnosed until they see a fucking doctor, which they wont see in the first place currently.
    which is the whole argument about preventative care... are you mentally deficient or something?
    Last edited by ohtlmtlm; 2019-07-12 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ohtlmtlm View Post
    hey. guy. they will not be diagnosed until they see a fucking doctor, which they wont see in the first place currently.
    which is the whole argument about preventative care... are you mentally deficient or something?
    Which is why I said the focus should be on expanding coverage, not replacing it. Read the thread before replying.

I don't really know how popular the system is in the states. It seems like its a terrible burden to put on low income households. I never understood why the united states didn't copy canada rather then forcing people to buy into a broken system.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Which is why I said the focus should be on expanding coverage, not replacing it. Read the thread before replying.
    that is not at all what you have been arguing. I've read every page brah

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Failure? But it was exactly what the drug companies wanted...
    Except the White House nor republicans in congress have anything to do with this. Its a lawsuit brought on by Attorneys General from various states and 2 patients