Page 1 of 3
LastLast

"Strings have been added for gamepad" - WoW coming to consoles?

Not sure how that would work with all the abilities, unless consoles have full kb/mouse support.

There are issues in other areas that make it unlikely anybody is going to do high-level play on a console. You'd just not be competitive.

How weird that they add controller support at the same time they start to un-prune class abilities. The pruning was the best moment to add controller support and I remember some people speculating it would be added at the time.
    ...that's just my opinion, anyway.

All of this cosmological stuff is too boring for me. I'd like to get Warcraft back, please. my thing is killing defias and orcs.

With proper UI tweaks WoW already plays fine on gamepad. Mind you this is no way to do any challenging content, but questing and levelling would be fine.

Though as is evident, making it actually feel good on gamepad requires much UI modding beyond the base UI and I doubt Blizz would do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd love to try and noodle around with WoW using a controller.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

More options are always welcome even if they're not optimal

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Then go ahead: https://medium.com/@belular/world-of...n-c549fa871b69

Could just be gamepad support.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    There are issues in other areas that make it unlikely anybody is going to do high-level play on a console. You'd just not be competitive.
    I mean, a guy cleared mythic using a controller.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson View Post
    Not sure how that would work with all the abilities, unless consoles have full kb/mouse support.
    8 face buttons, with modifiers you can have easy access to over 40 bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    There's add-ons that do amazing things. Take a USB Xbox 360 controller or xbone cobtroller. Get the add-on and program your hot keys.

The add-on modifies the UI to be more console gamelike. Quests UI looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    While I don't disagree that using a controller will make you vastly inferior, FFXIV has way more buttons in every base rotation and yet they seem to manage decently enough to the point where I could see it happening. I'd super-recommend using M&K even on a console though, but still, I don't know why Blizzard never tried to dip into the console market before with WoW, and it's been going on for 15 years now.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

I mean if they follow FF14 plenty of buttons for every skill/macro. I guess healing in a raid would be annoying but thats about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    With proper UI tweaks WoW already plays fine on gamepad. Mind you this is no way to do any challenging content, but questing and levelling would be fine.

Though as is evident, making it actually feel good on gamepad requires much UI modding beyond the base UI and I doubt Blizz would do that.
    When you can't play a bunch of content and are limited in what you can do in other content it isn't exactly fine.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    While I don't disagree that using a controller will make you vastly inferior, FFXIV has way more buttons in every base rotation and yet they seem to manage decently enough to the point where I could see it happening. I'd super-recommend using M&K even on a console though, but still, I don't know why Blizzard never tried to dip into the console market before with WoW, and it's been going on for 15 years now.
    Context. Other areas than keybinding your abilities.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson View Post
    I've seen people play using xbox controllers already.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Yeah, this sounds mostly like an official implementation of what WoWmapper does, possibly also with UI helpers like the ConsolePort addon.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    When you can't play a bunch of content and are limited in what you can do in other content it isn't exactly fine.
    "A bunch of content"

PvP would probably suck, healing is annoying, but everything else should be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    There's add-ons that do amazing things. Take a USB Xbox 360 controller or xbone cobtroller. Get the add-on and program your hot keys.

The add-on modifies the UI to be more console gamelike. Quests UI looks great.
    Well wow, I had no idea. I'll look into it!
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

The idea of WoW stepping away from "everyone is playing at a keyboard and can therefore chat" is a lot, a lot bigger than people realize when it comes to designing the main vein of the game! Just officially supporting a "potentially textless random group" is massive!

Of course it's been done, but it IS a culture shock for WoW!

Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    The idea of WoW stepping away from "everyone is playing at a keyboard and can therefore chat" is a lot, a lot bigger than people realize when it comes to designing the main vein of the game! Just officially supporting a "potentially textless random group" is massive!

Of course it's been done, but it IS a culture shock for WoW!
    Wow has it's on built in voice chat. Not to mention consoles have their own