If Xal'atath was actually Elune

And she had been pretending to be a goddess, biding her time until a plan to be set free of the blade was complete

I think it's safe to say she's not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I somehow doubt that Xal'atath would've aided Ysera by releasing her from corruption in Legion, protected Tyrande during the War of the Ancients, or had a hand in the creation of Cenarius. None of those things really seem like Xal'atath's particular bailiwick.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Makes no sense. the more likely thing is Elune was a void being at one point but isn't anymore.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I somehow doubt that Xal'atath would've aided Ysera by releasing her from corruption in Legion, protected Tyrande during the War of the Ancients, or had a hand in the creation of Cenarius. None of those things really seem like Xal'atath's particular bailiwick.
    Here's the thing though.. she didn't AID Ysera. She killed her. And there is evidence that Elune didn't have to. She is the Goddess of balance, not niceness or fairness.
    "When you build it, you love it!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by bowchikabow View Post
    Here's the thing though.. she didn't AID Ysera. She killed her. And there is evidence that Elune didn't have to. She is the Goddess of balance, not niceness or fairness.
    Based on her presence during the Xavius fight in the Emerald Nightmare and the presence of her shade in the Emerald Dream, it doesn't seem like she killed her either. Theoretically Elune could've vaporized the corrupted Ysera without allowing her to return to herself before her death - and it seems more likely to me that the assembled Druids, Priestesses, and the Champion were likely the ones who killed her to prevent her destroying the Temple of Elune in her Nightmare-induced madness.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Based on her presence during the Xavius fight in the Emerald Nightmare and the presence of her shade in the Emerald Dream, it doesn't seem like she killed her either. Theoretically Elune could've vaporized the corrupted Ysera without allowing her to return to herself before her death - and it seems more likely to me that the assembled Druids, Priestesses, and the Champion were likely the ones who killed her to prevent her destroying the Temple of Elune in her Nightmare-induced madness.
    Firstly, Elune is one of only 3 characters that is canonically able to resurrect. 2nd, I am suggesting that Elune was capable of fully sparing Ysera's life.. And specifically chose not to.

To understand what I mean. Watch the Cinematic again... Pay special attention from 0:16 to 0:20, and 0:28 to 0:30.

As you can see, in the first timestamp her eyes immediately revert to their previous form (Color and shape). the second timestamp shows her body gradually reverting ( Primarily color wise)
    "When you build it, you love it!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by bowchikabow View Post
    Firstly, Elune is one of only 3 characters that is canonically able to resurrect. 2nd, I am suggesting that Elune was capable of fully sparing Ysera's life.. And specifically chose not to.

To understand what I mean. Watch the Cinematic again... Pay special attention from 0:16 to 0:20, and 0:28 to 0:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOmRJ-HD5x4

As you can see, in the first timestamp her eyes immediately revert to their previous form (Color and shape). the second timestamp shows her body gradually reverting ( Primarily color wise)
    We don't know what we don't know - Ysera may have been too damaged to resurrect (physically or spiritually, as it were) or she may have refused it. As we see in the Emerald Dream quests in BfA, many of the Green Dragonflight have simply given up in light of the Emerald Dream's continued corruption by the Void despite Xavius' death. Elune's goals are completely inscrutable here, we don't know if she can resurrect a dead former Aspect, we don't know if Ysera even desired such, and we don't even know what really happened to her as she was raised into the sky and seemingly becomes a constellation? Given Ysera's later role in the Xavius fight and afterward, it is possible that Ysera hasn't been killed inasmuch as raised into a new manner of being entirely. We simply don't know.

I think Elune is the last link between Light and Void, the last one before the schism of these two universal powers.

BUT WERE THEY EVER SEEN IN THE SAME ROOM TOGETHER?!

Yes, yes they were. Playing the Val'sharah questline finale as a shadow priest.

Then why would she call herself a pretender goddess and try to steal her own power in the Temple of Elune?

As much as I would love for Elune to be anything but a goddess, a void-being in knife form is too much of a stretch.

Heh, imagine Cenarius as part-deer, part-knife.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    As much as I would love for Elune to be anything but a goddess, a void-being in knife form is too much of a stretch.

Heh, imagine Cenarius as part-deer, part-knife.
    Whiles I'm sure some fans will get a kick about it, even at blizzard, it would really anger and annoy a lot of other fans... and blizzard should take note from past times when they did stuff like that seemed a cool twist to them and some in the crowd, but a lot of people were annoyed out - remember the night elf origin that was retconned in wc3 and had them come from trolls.. sounded cool, but a lot of peeps hated it.

When you introduce lore in a certain way, and people really like it, don't go and recast it for the sake of a twist, even if that twist is a bit funny, if it is in a bad way, like spitting on something people came to treasure,while it may please osme fans, it will cause others to lose a lot of confidence in the integrity of your work, and not take or like what you put out anywhere near as much.

In other words, why piss on something dear to a lot of fans, just for a kick to a few? They've done this before and it has gone down badly overall every time, it pleased some, but it irritated a lot more, it was un-necessary and their work was less because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Whiles I'm sure some fans will get a kick about it, even at blizzard, it would really anger and annoy a lot of other fans... and blizzard should take note from past times when they did stuff like that seemed a cool twist to them and some in the crowd, but a lot of people were annoyed out - remember the night elf origin that was retconned in wc3 and had them come from trolls.. sounded cool, but a lot of peeps hated it.

When you introduce lore in a certain way, and people really like it, don't go and recast it for the sake of a twist, even if that twist is a bit funny, if it is in a bad way, like spitting on something people came to treasure,while it may please osme fans, it will cause others to lose a lot of confidence in the integrity of your work, and not take or like what you put out anywhere near as much.

In other words, why piss on something dear to a lot of fans, just for a kick to a few? They've done this before and it has gone down badly overall every time, it pleased some, but it irritated a lot more, it was un-necessary and their work was less because of it.
    Actually they shouldn't. Making creative choices because some people might not like it and get mad is a good way to handicap you creatively. Not saying that their story has ever been amazing, because no Blizzard story in any game has ever really been good. But if they have an ideal they like and have to stop and think if it will make some people mad, that is just a bad way of doing things.

Making Elune an evil void god, the being that the Night Elves have been following since their creation, would be the single most stupidest plot twist in history. But because Blizzard has a hard on for shitting on the Night Elves, I can see them going this route.

There's a moment in the Tomb of Sargeras, after you defeat the Sisters of the Moon, where Xalatath tricks the shadowpriest player to absorb Elune's power with the blade. If they try it, Elune instantly smites them, and Xalatath laughs at their dead body. She plays a similar trick with Odyn, so its safe to say that Xalatath and Elune are not the same being.

Quote Originally Posted by Alixie View Post
    Making Elune an evil void god, the being that the Night Elves have been following since their creation, would be the single most stupidest plot twist in history. But because Blizzard has a hard on for shitting on the Night Elves, I can see them going this route.

There's a moment in the Tomb of Sargeras, after you defeat the Sisters of the Moon, where Xalatath tricks the shadowpriest player to absorb Elune's power with the blade. If they try it, Elune instantly smites them, and Xalatath laughs at their dead body. She plays a similar trick with Odyn, so its safe to say that Xalatath and Elune are not the same being.
    Sadly I can see this happening too, kicking night elves is the current writers' favorite pastime.

On topic: yeah no, they're obviously not the same person, unless I ran around all of Legion with Elune swinging on my belt whispering sweet nothings in my ear.
    Xal'atath whispers: Your allies consider me a bad influence. Yet all I've ever done is speed you along the path you chose.