Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is Classic+ A Horrible Idea?

Okay, I thought I would bring this up because there has been talk about what people would prefer post classic. I bring this up because there seems to be two really strong camps to this subject.

You got the people who want WoW Classic and all it's bell and whistles and they just want Classic. Then you have those that want Classic WoW but want newer content added a'la a new timeline for example.

Now this is my opinion, but I think Classic+ is a horrible idea, when I wanted WoW Classic I wanted just that with all the bells and whistles no changes except minor exceptions.

It seems what a lot of people want is a new WoW Classic experience, not WoW Classic. The idea of newer content on top of the classic paint job seems good on paper, and while I feel I know where these people are coming from, thats not what most people wanted when we asked for Classic.

I wanna play classic for classic, because I liked Classic. There's no nostalgia, I actually thought Classic was good and thats what I want to play.

You add Classic+ and you don;t have classic anymore you got some weird Frankenstien hybrid of the Classic game. And you have changed what a lot of people wanted when they wanted classic to begin with, that sense of classic is now gone if you change it.

And I totally see the idea. Basically you got the classic mechanics and style of 2004 WoW to then pasted onto an extension of the current Classic game. That to me sounds like you want a WoW2, just with more of a 2004 WoW system. Which that in itself is fine, I wouldn't mind a WoW2 but don;t make WoW Classic into some new game.

I am starting to think the 'You think you do, but you don;t' was actually true. It seems some people didn't want classic after all. You just wanted parts of classic to build a newer game :P

Also I know people are very aggressively for Classic+ so I am sure I will get a lot of sticks thrown my way for this topic alone. but I am open to having my mind changed. *equips swat hat*

What do you people think? If I am being unreasonable? I welcome counter arguments
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-06-30 at 02:15 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Okay, I thought I would bring this up because there has been talk about what people would prefer post classic. I bring this up because there seems to be two really strong camps to this subject.

You got the people who want WoW Classic and all it's bell and whistles and they just want Classic. Then you have those that want Classic WoW but want newer content added a'la a new timeline for example.

Now this is my opinion, but I think Classic+ is a horrible idea, when I wanted WoW Classic I wanted just that with all the bells and whistles no changes except minor exceptions.

It seems what a lot of people want is a new WoW Classic experience, not WoW Classic. The idea of newer content on top of the classic paint job seems good on paper, and while I feel I know where these people are coming from, thats not what most people wanted when we asked for Classic.

I wanna play classic for classic, because I liked Classic. There's no nostalgia, I actually thought Classic was good and thats what I want to play.

You add Classic+ and you don;t have classic anymore you got some weird Frankenstien hybrid of the Classic game. And you have changed what a lot of people wanted when they wanted classic to begin with, that sense of classic is now gone if you change it.

And I totally see the idea. Basically you got the classic mechanics and style of 2004 WoW to then pasted onto an extension of the current Classic game. That to me sounds like you want a WoW2, just with more of a 2004 WoW system. Which that in itself is fine, I wouldn't mind a WoW2 but don;t make WoW Classic into some new game.

I am starting to think the 'You think you do, but you don;t' was actually true. It seems some people didn't want classic after all. You just wanted parts of classic to build a newer game :P

Also I know people are very aggressively for Classic+ so I am sure I will get a lot of sticks thrown my way for this topic alone. but I am open to having my mind changed. *equips swat hat*

What do you people think? If I am being unreasonable? I welcome counter arguments
    Think eventually more people will be open to Classic+, which I also think would be a good idea because for me Classic isn't just about the content, rather the way its played and how the systems work. That is, more social, no flying, static level cap and with items not being formulaic but itemized uniquely and with many items lasting for a very long time (like bonereavers edge, raggy caster neck, drakefang talisman, PVP gear). If they add a few more dungeons, raids that don't offer insane powercreep and a few more zones on the existing landmass that would be fine and probably fun. But all these things should come a while after naxx and they should probably hit up a few of the old designers like kevin jordan (who is also in the classic+ camp from what I gather on his stream) so the philosophy stays intact.

I'm all for Classic+ but since no one seems to know how to do it i suggest to forget it until a decent plan to execute it exists.

The very reason we're here waiting on Classic launch is the way the expansions were designed and how each and every one of them rendered the previous content to trivial and pointless e-book shrinking the game to the size of the latest raid tier and stuff directly related to it. Should they keep doing this also with Classic the game will once again be ruined and people start asking new realms with no expanded content.

So until someone has an idea how to actually expand the game instead of replacing some of the content with new one i'd advice to leave the game as it is now.

I think we don't know yet is the problem. Then you have a pretty safe bet that if Classic is a hit to just release TBC.

My concern is that the staff Blizzard currently employees cannot make new content like Classic or a Classic+ without screwing it up. Once they start making actual new content it will take bigger teams, bigger budgets, more time, and that means the evil corporate eye still shift in their directions and suddenly you will have store mounts, tokens, and all kinds of other shit that dumps on MMOs. At least that is how I feel about them.

Im gonna play Classic but I would rather be playing Classic+. Keeping the same mechanics and principles the first was based on but going on from there with content when we hit that point where the game has nowhere to go after a period of time.

I would say just give people the options to copy their character to the Classic+ server and that way your character is still there in Classic WoW but you can then go on with your Classic+ experience if you like. Its not like your taking resources away from Classic because Classic is done as soon as they release it other than fixing bugs.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as they make separate servers that offer the pure experience I don't care.

I will no life classic, and if Blizzard can make a good classic-like MMO I will give it a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

I'd be open for Classic+ to see where and what it could turn out to be after Classic's life has ended, but I'd also be a-OK with just being able to play Classic WoW.

as much as i like the idea of classic+ I don't believe blizz in its current state can even attempt to do that properly and we'll wind up with a bunch of the shit from retail (the shit that made people quit in the first place) in classic+ because they have no idea how to do content like classic anymore.

imo retail failed because they decided to cater to those with zero skill so everything had to be made easy and dumbed downed to the lowest common denominator, i don't believe they can do retail+ without going that route because they're greedy and lack the talent required to do it right
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it's a horrible idea at all. I think it's something they need to be careful of though so I have my doubts that they could add anything and still resist the temptation to change a lot of other stuff. They could craft a zone or two every six months with some storyline quests, some dailies, some sandbox stuff. Leave class mechanics alone and make the new zones the same as any other level 60 zone and it would be a nice addition.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    I genuinely don't trust Blizzard to make + content worth a whit, so no.

My first question about Classic+ would be, who is it for? Is it solely content designed for Naxx-geared raiders? If so, I don’t think as many people will get to that point as some seem to assume.

Is it just for people bored of Classic? That seems like a different problem altogether.

Is it just raids? Dailies? World content? New zones?

Its actually a great idea, its something that both fans of Classic and retail can look forward to. But it would be something that needs to be done absolutely right. They can go the OSRS route of taking the game to an alternate route and listening very close to the playerbase of what they want to see. What I expect people like to see are opening zones that were planned to be implemented at some point (Hyjal, Emerald Dream, Gilneas, Quel'Thalas, Dragon Isles) and turn them all into proper end game zones with new dungeons and raids. Ofcourse they should be nothing like in retail, in my opinion it should be closer to the elite outdoor areas like Tyr's Hand where you need to group up a lot and carefully make your way trough the zone to do your things.

As much as I would like to move into TBC (they could maybe do both though), its also where the game started to change drastically. I see a lot of people say that TBC is basically an improved Classic, and I can see that it is in a lot of aspects, but at the same time it also did some rather new designs that started to make Classic a lot less like an RPG already:

- The entire space theme that felt really off. Space ships simply don't belong in WoW
    - The massive retconning of the draenei and giving blood elves to Horde because they needed a pretty race
    - The overall story being a hot mess.... even Classic had way better writing
    - The introduction of flying, which made the world feel much smaller and killed world PvP for a huge part
    - Linear dungeons that started the whole hallway into next hallway dungeon design
    - Removal of 40 man raids
    - Making the old world feel much more empty because everyone is in Outland

Going the Classic+ route would avoid all these mistakes and only try to improve the game in a way where as many people as possible will be satisfied. TBC did a lot of good things aswell so this could be something that the devs can keep in mind while trying to move forward with Classic+
    Last edited by McNeil; 2019-06-30 at 10:03 PM.

Classic+ does interest me. There would have to be some rules in place going forward with any additions to Classic. Major system changes should be off limits. Things like flying mounts should never be allowed.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a horrible idea because I don't trust the modern wow devs to take classic in a proper direction that won't screw it up completely. Now assuming it's separate from regular classic that could be fine. But if they do that to the classic servers and it's the only option, I'm not ok with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to see a TBC server before we do classic+, but classic+ should definitely happen. Have two MMORPGs under the same IP, one that appeals to traditional RPG players and one that appeals to the modern WoW players.

I don't understand the mentality behind Classic +. But leave it to the intellect of the gaming community to concoct it.

They'd never be able to do Classic+ because everyone has a different idea of what that would entail. And where would you sotp? Transmog? New talents? You'd end up with retail but stuck at 60 with no content. You would alienate the customer base rergardless of what you implemented, so you'd need loads of versions to keep every permeatation of fan happy.
    RETH

It's pretty easy. 1.14 would be Kara as a 20 man and SSC as a 40 man. You would get BC like changes to classes. That means the hybrids still get taxed but not as much. You do not get BC talents, there is no level increase, gear increases in ilvl by a raid or two increment, no flying and there will be two new zones. Portal will be to zangamarsh. Not hellfire.

You are welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyGhoul View Post
    My first question about Classic+ would be, who is it for? Is it solely content designed for Naxx-geared raiders? If so, I don’t think as many people will get to that point as some seem to assume.

Is it just for people bored of Classic? That seems like a different problem altogether.

Is it just raids? Dailies? World content? New zones?
    I could see them opening up content that were scrapped the first time around. Timbermaw hold dungeon/raid, dragon isles etc. If they decided to do that though I wouldnt want it to be 40man raids that were harder than Naxx but rather 5mans, 10mans or maybe even 20man dungeons/raids but of a high difficulty.

This would have to be WAY down the line though, like 1 year+ after Naxx release.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

I think Classic+ could be really good as I'm interested what their original plans were for zones that were started but never completed - Mount Hyjal, Deadwind Pass (and Kharazan,) Outland and Emerald Dream all had assets in Vanilla that turned out different to their eventual releases.