Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    It's going to be around for exactly 6.3337. My crystal ball said so.

No, but seriously, why ask this question? Who would know?

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    It does not bode well with me.
    Judging from your post history, there isn't much about the game that bodes well with you.

I don't think it will last longer than 4 weeks. And I think that after 2 weeks most realm population stabilize to the point where they will only have one layer. So effecively they won't have layering.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I don't know. What was the quote?

Was it a mistake based on something he didn't know that he later corrected? Did plans change? Or are you going with the idea that Ion sits in his office cooking up lies to deliberately lead MMO-C users astray?

Stuff like this always makes me think that Blizzard is better off to Never. Say. Anything.
    He in the original QA on classic* said "we understand the importance of high level mats like thorium and people wanting to control these resources". That isn't an exact quote and I think he named some more resources. But the gist was the same. He was saying we're not gonna have multiple instances of high level mats

Point is I think they are very very flexible on how they are going to deal with the population changes. Nothing is in stone.

I wouldn't trust anything they say on the subject as fact at this point. I can't think of any other out right lie they've told.

Or, or...they are testing it on Classic vs sharding to see if they want to use layering for retail in its place.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Or, or...they are testing it on Classic vs sharding to see if they want to use layering for retail in its place.
    That may be true too

That would explain their total 180 on controlling thorium lol

all just a test doesn't matter

My guess is you will hardly notice it after the first week, but it won't be completely removed for at least a month. It's really just those starting zones the first week (mainly the first day or two), with everyone logging in at the same time, that will require layering. Just look back to different expansion releases before sharding existed. It was really only ever that first week where the servers would crash. After that, the servers were fine. Layering will just help prevent those week 1 crashes, but after that, just like in the past, it shouldn't be needed.

The Patient
    I think layering will be around for a few months until the initial "rush" in the congested low level zones dies down to a point where everyone and their mother is standing around waiting for a single boar to spawn.

Once levels get spread out, you might still see it "kick in" on high pop servers as people re-roll alts. I mean, if 10k people who have level 40+ characters re-roll at level 1 within a week of one another you're going to have pseudo-launch-day-congestion and layering will need to kick in.

Quote Originally Posted by BananaHandsB View Post
    My guess is you will hardly notice it after the first week, but it won't be completely removed for at least a month. It's really just those starting zones the first week (mainly the first day or two), with everyone logging in at the same time, that will require layering. Just look back to different expansion releases before sharding existed. It was really only ever that first week where the servers would crash. After that, the servers were fine. Layering will just help prevent those week 1 crashes, but after that, just like in the past, it shouldn't be needed.
    Problem is once you hit 60 you have to pay attention to the layers and meta game them for the best farm.....

Leveling you might not notice. But if you're trying to get anything specific not being aware of the layers would be irrational

It's not the same as sharding, you could spawn into layers with all the high level zones empty

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    The devs have invested all these resources into the layering system, and have spent even more resources fine tuning the system so it is smooth. And all of that effort for just a couple of weeks of use at launch? Sharding (despite its flaws) would've been enough to address the issue. People would've put up with it for a few days until the rush was over.

But to create an entirely new custom made layering system...? It feels like the system has been tailored to be around for the long term. It does not bode well with me. I'm concerned that if layering is accepted in any form, the devs would just leave it in indefinitely and ignore the vocal minority like they have for CRZ, sharding, etc.
    They wont turn it off, they wont be able to.