Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Consumer confidence is another indicator of how the economy is doing. You know, the ones who are spending their money on goods.
    Consumer confidence was also very high before the 2008 financial crisis, we call them dumb money because they are the last to know when the market is crashing. The joke on the street as always been when the lemmings start pilling in the market it's time to get out. The economy will cool and the market will crash the US simply doesn't have the regulatory structure to keep markets stable forever sadly.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Consumer confidence was also very high before the 2008 financial crisis, we call them dumb money because they are the last to know when the market is crashing. The joke on the street as always been when the lemmings start pilling in the market it's time to get out. The economy will cool and the market will crash the US simply doesn't have the regulatory structure to keep markets stable forever sadly.
    True. But then it went down because of the crisis. As the chart shows. So it is a reflection of how the consumers feel about the economy never the less. At the moment, people have confidence in the economy overall. And this is not info gathered from a poll, but actual consumer spending.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    Facts are facts, but that isn't a fact. I don't even know what to label that. Consumers might buy stuff graph? Meanwhile Amazon is moving into malls to setup shop since they're responsible for closing down a lot of stores in there. The shit will hit the fan around holiday season, because that's when retail expects to pick up their lost sales. It won't happen because people are broke and at max debt.
    Meanwhile, job growth has been doing well this year. You know, the companies which are doing well enough to hire people. Companies can go bankrupt for a variety of reasons. One major factor is a shift in what the consumer desires.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

True. But then it went down because of the crisis. As the chart shows. So it is a reflection of how the consumers feel about the economy never the less. At the moment, people have confidence in the economy overall. And this is not info gathered from a poll, but actual consumer spending.
    Consumer confidence is different from consumer spending that's another metric, also we always have some kind of crisis that is due to our lack of regulations. We aren't lacking in terms of things that could combine for the next one dark pools, student and car debt heck even credit default swaps are back in style that's not even going into global catalysts such as China and EU. This administration with the democrats help has gone on a deregulation binge even Dodd-Frank which was already weak has been gutted further.
    Last edited by Draco-Onis; 2019-07-15 at 01:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Consumer confidence is different from consumer spending that's another metric, also we always have some kind of crisis that is due to our lack of regulations. We aren't lacking in terms of things that could combine for the next one dark pools, student and car debt heck even credit default swaps are back in style that's not even going into global catalysts such as China and EU. This administration with the democrats help has gone on a deregulation binge even Dodd-Frank which was already weak has been gutted further.
    Well, that is up also.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Well, that is up also.
    You kind of missed the gist of it markets and economies don't go up forever and we have a lot of risks some of our own making others we have no control over.

10+ Year Old Account
    You kind of missed the gist of it markets and economies don't go up forever and we have a lot of risks some of our own making others we have no control over.
    I am no expert on the economy. That is for sure. But overall, it looks pretty damn good to me and if this is still the case in Nov. 2020? It is going to help Trump. So if the bubble is going to burst, then for the democrats, they better hope it happens before then.

I am no expert on the economy. That is for sure. But overall, it looks pretty damn good to me and if this is still the case in Nov. 2020? It is going to help Trump. So if the bubble is going to burst, then for the democrats, they better hope it happens before then.
    As I stated before Donald Trump ran against a strong economy and did just fine the reason is because the average person hasn't felt the recovery. The jobs that are created under Trump are identical to the ones under Obama (not high paying), also the economy was great in 2018 Trump and the GOP still took a bath.

As I stated before Donald Trump ran against a strong economy and did just fine the reason is because the average person hasn't felt the recovery. The jobs that are created under Trump are identical to the ones under Obama (not high paying), also the economy was great in 2018 Trump and the GOP still took a bath.
    I am not sure how to reconcile your "the average person hasn't felt the recovery" with the fact that the majority of US citizens think that Trump's economy is doing well.

Example piece:

Americans feel good about economy and give Trump credit — CBS News poll
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/america...cbs-news-poll/

Give Trump credit for what?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    Staying alive on a healthy diet of cheeseburgers and diet coke?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    Pretty much this. Since pretty much all the companies that are boosting the stock market (especially in 2018) are blue states companies.

Overall it looks exactly like 2014-2017...

But of course you and your clan called those the worst economic years ever

10+ Year Old Account
    Meanwhile, job growth has been doing well this year. You know, the companies which are doing well enough to hire people. Companies can go bankrupt for a variety of reasons. One major factor is a shift in what the consumer desires.
    Where are you getting this information?

10+ Year Old Account
    Woo short-term gains!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    Where are you getting this information?
    From the actual job growth report. https://www.thebalance.com/jobs-repo...istics-3305732

The U.S. economy gained 224,000 jobs in June 2019, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. There were strong jobs gains across the board.

And yes, there were some job losses. But not as much as the gains where.

From the actual job growth report. https://www.thebalance.com/jobs-repo...istics-3305732

The U.S. economy gained 224,000 jobs in June 2019, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. There were strong jobs gains across the board.

My biggest complaint is not the number of added jobs but its spending power vs cost increases. Inflationary measures and the like withstanding of course. As someone who works in finance the upper crust is doing very well actually very well along with some smart people who have asset managers but the common person seems to be struggling in the long term.

That is why i discount gig jobs/work as they do not provide a pathway to upward mobility if it is the sole job someone works. I am looking forward to more FED reports about median income and the like as i feel that is far more telling then if Wal-Mart added some jobs if you get what i am saying.

One wonders where ghostpanther was last month?

May - payrolls up just 75,000 in May, much worse than expected.
    May was revised down to 72k

April number was lowered to 263 --> 224 > 216k
    March’s job count was revised lower from 189,000 to 153,000

we are sitting at a trend of 171k jobs, way lower then the 5 year trend.