Naz'jatar Zin'Azshari

Well the main city centre finally came.. what do you guys think?

The zone, the history, the lore etc..

My thoughts? 8.2 didn't do it justice, , I did like the music though.. I sort of expected all of Nazjatar to be the ruined capital (so surprised how small the ruins are, I expected a much bigger zone, then we would have a modern naga city either next to it like in Aquaman or built on top of it.

I don't hink there is much you can do in a patch, but considering it was a patch, they did a good job.

Mixed review I know. for what it was it's a great job, but I expected something of this level to be much more, I think I'd have liked it to be more an expansion of it i's own.

s hteire more of the city beyond the waves?

- - - Updated - - -

Also where exactly is it even? and how does this link to the ruins in Azshara zone.
    Last edited by ravenmoon; 2019-07-15 at 08:07 PM.

Disappointed in the playable zone, I would prefer exploring and questing in the Nazjatar metropolis seen outside of the Eternal Palace. When I think of "Nazjatar", I think of "Naga Suramar", not "50% coral reef forests/murloc camps, 25% ruins, and only 25% actual Naga city". It was the same thing with Mac'aree, to be honest.

7+ Year Old Account
    What we saw of Naz is ridiculous.
    What we are seeing is basically the city outskirts and its barricades.

We didn't see anything of the actual city besides that tiny sneak peak when we get flushed to the palace raid entrance.

As for Zin-Azshari, somewhat underwhelming but expected as it's been in ruin for the last 10k years.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Void Fallen View Post
    Disappointed in the playable zone, I would prefer exploring and questing in the Nazjatar metropolis seen outside of the Eternal Palace. When I think of "Nazjatar", I think of "Naga Suramar", not "50% coral reef forests/murloc camps, 25% ruins, and only 25% actual Naga city". It was the same thing with Mac'aree, to be honest.
    Yes. Blizzard has weird ruin fetish. I understand that Azshara may like to have some ruins next to her palace, as it was once fashionable to build some, but I think the naga dwelling part was done poorly. On their defence, however, they made nice background for the Eternal Palace

You can imagine a huge city that you will never get to explore.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

5+ Year Old Account
    As you said there isn't much you can do in a zone. Especially a patch zone. Nazjatar joins the Emerald Dream, the Elemental Planes, Argus, Azjol Nerub, Gilneas, Uldum, Grim Batol, Kul Tiras, and Zandalar in the list of places that could have gotten a whole expansion centered around them instead of the little we got.

Same could be said of the characters honestly. Like Azshara herself or Lady Vash.

Blizzard hates full sized cities. Not only do they not add them anymore, they have been removing them as well. Suramar and the BfA cities have been the only real cities since they changed Org in Cata. Mists we got the mirrored shrines, WoD we got a camp, Legion we got the reskinned Dalaran. Undercity removed, Darnassus removed. Exodar and Silvermoon have not been touched since 2007.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    Blizzard hates full sized cities. Not only do they not add them anymore, they have been removing them as well. Suramar and the BfA cities have been the only real cities since they changed Org in Cata. Mists we got the mirrored shrines, WoD we got a camp, Legion we got the reskinned Dalaran. Undercity removed, Darnassus removed. Exodar and Silvermoon have not been touched since 2007.
    Almost as if Blizzard wants people to relocate to the suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    The evidence suggests that they're working on developing cities better, actually. Like you just said, Boralus and Suramar are models for what in-game cities should be: sprawling and alive. I do really wish that they'd done better with Nazjatar, though. A real Warcraft-flavored Atlantis that we could explore in person would have been a dream come true.
    Xal'atath whispers: Your allies consider me a bad influence. Yet all I've ever done is speed you along the path you chose.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    As you said there isn't much you can do in a zone. Especially a patch zone. Nazjatar joins the Emerald Dream, the Elemental Planes, Argus, Azjol Nerub, Gilneas, Uldum, Grim Batol, Kul Tiras, and Zandalar in the list of places that could have gotten a whole expansion centered around them instead of the little we got.

Same could be said of the characters honestly. Like Azshara herself or Lady Vash.
    Wow..that is a long list.. but you are right.. concepts that we had too little off.. that could have been a lot larger..

Imagine if Catalcysm was all the elemental plains, and they weren't like the 4 tiny zones we got. but then in a sense, it would have bene a 4 zone continent...or maybe each elemental plane would have been 3 zones each. In the end Vashj'ir and Neptulons city was pretty much merged. Deepholm got a zone, but Skywall was a city instance --- although a very impressive one. Firelands was a citadel + half a zone, as it seriously ate up half of hyjal.. it's like when they come to night elf zones and themes they really struggle to just make it 100% night elven.

take a look at ashenvale..theyhad to break it up, hyjal, broken up, Val'sharah broken up, the broken isles, broken up , they turned Azshara into a goblin place in the end, so little night elven in FElwood - I get you want it to look different but do you notice the nighte lves don't have a 100% forest zone, like say Elwyn or Eversong ? - and these are supposed to be the real forest loving group - their forests are full of ruins and disease that makes the pure part only ahalf.. but then remember the night elves have SOOOO many ruins, to this day, Suramar is the ONLY non-ruined night elven city, and it came 12 years after launch.. everything else is a ruin, even Daranssus was turned to ruin after.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Briselody View Post
    The evidence suggests that they're working on developing cities better, actually. Like you just said, Boralus and Suramar are models for what in-game cities should be: sprawling and alive. I do really wish that they'd done better with Nazjatar, though. A real Warcraft-flavored Atlantis that we could explore in person would have been a dream come true.
    Yeh.. after seeing Atlantis, I really expected them to get inspired, it really felt like the night elves, where the original civilization had encountered a disaster and now they had multiple off shoots, but these still met together, as rthe council of atlantis.

REally would have loved them to do this for the night elves... and you get the Kaldorei in their original form, then the off shoots, the shal'dorei, the Cenarians, the Naga, the Ankoan (who turn out to be an off shoot), the night elf worgen, and the Farondis ghosts. This forms like the night kingdom which has aspects of sa and land in this case.

I was thinking of adding the Thalassians, but i'm not sure, it would be nice to have the high/blood elves, the Void elves and the Fel elves as 3 more to the council, but they could easily be separate thing.

If they were ever to combine races again, though and decide the elves should all be together, I would definitely have the Thalassians as part of the council.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Wow..that is a long list.. but you are right.. concepts that we had too little off.. that could have been a lot larger..

Imagine if Catalcysm was all the elemental plains, and they weren't like the 4 tiny zones we got. but then in a sense, it would have bene a 4 zone continent...or maybe each elemental plane would have been 3 zones each. In the end Vashj'ir and Neptulons city was pretty much merged. Deepholm got a zone, but Skywall was a city instance --- although a very impressive one. Firelands was a citadel + half a zone, as it seriously ate up half of hyjal.. it's like when they come to night elf zones and themes they really struggle to just make it 100% night elven.

take a look at ashenvale..theyhad to break it up, hyjal, broken up, Val'sharah broken up, the broken isles, broken up , they turned Azshara into a goblin place in the end, so little night elven in FElwood - I get you want it to look different but do you notice the nighte lves don't have a 100% forest zone, like say Elwyn or Eversong ? - and these are supposed to be the real forest loving group - their forests are full of ruins and disease that makes the pure part only ahalf.. but then remember the night elves have SOOOO many ruins, to this day, Suramar is the ONLY non-ruined night elven city, and it came 12 years after launch.. everything else is a ruin, even Daranssus was turned to ruin after.
    Yeah. They love fucking over Night Elves. I would love for them to do a Nelf centered expansion just to make up for it. But what would it be about? And where would it be set? Hyjal is already in game. So is Nazjatar and the Broken Isles. The Emerald Dream was swept under a rug. Illidan fucked off to Argus and Teldrassil got turned into Charcoal. Fandral Staghelm was deal with.

What is there left? Tyrande to go evil and visit a place unrelated to Nelves to make a base there? Elune to turn out to be an Old God on the Moon?

Either Azshara toughens up, survives 8.3 and takes the fight to the Night Elves, there isn't much for them storywise. And they still need a new home.

Part of me hopes Hyjal is revamped into the new Night Elf home.

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    What we saw of Naz is ridiculous.
    What we are seeing is basically the city outskirts and its barricades.

We didn't see anything of the actual city besides that tiny sneak peak when we get flushed to the palace raid entrance.

As for Zin-Azshari, somewhat underwhelming but expected as it's been in ruin for the last 10k years.
    This reminds me of Ala Mhigo in FFXIV Stormblood.

I am sure you have all seen various artworks of Atlantis. A metropolis with large statues, gleaming palaces, mastodontic gates, etc. That is how I expected Nazjatar to be, honestly. I'm not actually sure why they decided to avoid giving us the city, after the success that was the critically-acclaimed Suramar. And even the way it was described in older lore material, a gleaming metropolis that rivals the Zin-Azshari of old (it was built by Azshara the Vainglorious after the fall of her original capital, after all), it surprises me that they would decide to reduce it to an untamed land with a few Naga terraces scattered across the northern part.

It was the same with Mac'aree, as I said earlier:

Expectations: A gleaming metropolis themed after the Man'ari, where we can find large and ornate palaces, including the richly-decorated palace of Kil'jaeden and Archimonde.

Reality: A Void-blighted wasteland abandoned by the Man'ari… For some reason…

Nazjatar and Mac'aree are so scuffed.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2019-07-15 at 09:16 PM.

I am sure you have all seen various artworks of Atlantis. A metropolis with large statues, gleaming palaces, mastodontic gates, etc. That is how I expected Nazjatar to be, honestly. I'm not actually sure why they decided to avoid giving us the city, after the success that was the critically-acclaimed Suramar. And even the way it was described in older lore material, a gleaming metropolis that rivals the Zin-Azshari of old (it was built by Azshara the Vainglorious after the fall of her original capital, after all), it surprises me that they would decide to reduce it to an untamed land with a few Naga terraces scattered across the northern part.

Expectations: A gleaming metropolis themed after the Man'ari, where we can find large and ornate palaces, including the richly-decorated palace of Kil'jaeden and Archimonde.

Cut backs perhaps?

They are a weird one aren't they, all of a sudden they go big on something you little expect, but then some of hte ones you feel should be much more cos they have already described them, they go "short cut" mode.

why would a culture of city destroying conquerors keep a gilded city? burning legion are mongols, not persians

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    Cut backs perhaps?

They are a weird one aren't they, all of a sudden they go big on something you little expect, but then some of hte ones you feel should be much more cos they have already described them, they go "short cut" mode.
    I 100% didn't expect the hanging gardens of babylon. a culture of destroyers is super unlikely to keep an ornate palace

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    Cut backs perhaps?

Probably, yeah. Compared to Suramar, Nazjatar and Mac'aree are so scuffed.

disappointed by Blizzard...who would have ever thought ? /s