Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Budong View Post
    Which is why the committee uses strength of schedule, record against top 10, top 25, common opponent and quality of loss. It may or may not be accurate but it gives you objective data points to consider.

- - - Updated - - -

True enough. Cult Aggies have the market cornered on dumb. And weird. And being overrated.

Serious (kinda) question here though. I know it's not always Texas that says this. It's often some dumb ass journalist that wants to look like a football prophet. I have to wonder, just how many times can Texas say "We're back" before it starts to look Aggie?
    Record against ranked teams that they rank. The metrics they use are quantifiable, but they're not objective since even SOS relies on subjective measures (rankings).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    You have 130 teams in D1 in the FBS. Basically 10 conferences and those weird independents. Let's just be crazy and take the 10 conference champes and 6 the committee picks! Setup the rotation for bowls however you wish. Draw randomly who plays who.

That way you get a chance to get in by winning your conference. Then we can complain and bicker over the 6 that got in that should or shouldn't have?
    I'd prefer this over the current system. Giving every conference a chance and leaving the bickering to be over who deserves the at-large bid and how they should be seeded is preferable to a bunch of teams being left out when there are rarely any common opponents with which makes comparisons actually viable.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilithvia View Post
    Utah says hello
    They are already saying that a win over Oregon won't be enough to displace Alabama.

I would love to see LSU try out Utah's defense though.

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    They are already saying that a win over Oregon won't be enough to displace Alabama.

I would love to see LSU try out Utah's defense though.
    If Bama loses to Auburn, I guarantee Utah will have a prettier resume than it already does

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    If Bama loses to Auburn, I guarantee Utah will have a prettier resume than it already does
    No doubt. I'm a lifelong Oregon fan who's seen the Ducks hopes squashed twice by Auburn, and I'm rooting for Auburn against Alabama at this year's Iron Bowl.

Jerry Palm predicts

1. LSU vs 4. Oklahoma

2. Ohio State vs 3. Clemson

I'm guessing he thinks OU will get in after LSU beats Georgia and OU beats a possible top 10 Baylor. That leaves out Utah, assuming they win the Pac12 championship game. An LSU vs OU matchup would be entertaining as hell with all that offense and no defense but I'm not sure if OU is actually better than Utah.

10+ Year Old Account
    TAMU about to become the first ever team to have three games against the #1 AP team in a season.
    /s

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    TAMU about to become the first ever team to have three games against the #1 AP team in a season.
    Brutal. Can't believe they had that non-conf against Clemson.

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Playoff predictions, folks?

Playoff predictions, folks?
    The current top three are pretty much locked up barring a major upset , but the last one could go any which way depending on how the rivalry games/conference championships go.

Assuming all three of the teams contending for fourth spot win the remainder of their games by blowouts my gut says they give the nod to OU. They'd have the most wins over currently-ranked teams (2 over the same Baylor team) and a conference championship vs. Utah's 1 win and a championship and Bamas 1 win with no championship. Plus there's a good chance OU could jump Utah next Tuesday if they both win in a blowout as OU's would be against a currently-ranked team opposed to Utah's win over sub-.500 Colorado.

While I would love for Utah to make it (because this really is the best team they've had since their Sugar Bowl win), I think it will come down to how well OU does in their last 2 games (and Baylor not losing right before their rematch). I do think Bama gets jumped unless they absolutely throttle Auburn and the other two don't dominate their last two games.

So right now I'd say

1-LSU
    2-OSU
    3-Clemson
    4-OU

Which I'm not thrilled about.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    The current top three are pretty much locked up barring a major upset , but the last one could go any which way depending on how the rivalry games/conference championships go.

Assuming all three of the teams contending for fourth spot win the remainder of their games by blowouts my gut says they give the nod to OU. They'd have the most wins over currently-ranked teams (2 over the same Baylor team) and a conference championship vs. Utah's 1 win and a championship and Bamas 1 win with no championship. Plus there's a good chance OU could jump Utah next Tuesday if they both win in a blowout as OU's would be against a currently-ranked team opposed to Utah's win over sub-.500 Colorado.

While I would love for Utah to make it (because this really is the best team they've had since their Sugar Bowl win), I think it will come down to how well OU does in their last 2 games (and Baylor not losing right before their rematch). I do think Bama gets jumped unless they absolutely throttle Auburn and the other two don't dominate their last two games.

So right now I'd say

1-LSU
    2-OSU
    3-Clemson
    4-OU

Which I'm not thrilled about.
    Though, to be fair, I'd much rather have a rose bowl win then a first round playoff loss.

- - - Updated - - -

My playoff predictions are summed up with this meme from the Pac-12 Sports discord that myself, cubby, and BruBear are in.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    The odds-makers are saying OU will make the 4th spot if everyone wins out (obviously not Georgia winning out) because they will be a one-loss conference champ with a tougher schedule than Utah (assuming Utah wins the Pac-12 Conf). I have to say I'm in support of putting conference champs ahead of one-loss non-conf champs (like Alabama).

10+ Year Old Account
    My sister's PC had a mishap, big enough to blow one of the fuses in the house and I spent most of the past few hours helping my BIL repair it with parts from my old PC, totally forgetting that The Game was on today in the process.

Pretty glad that happened cause I would have probably been highly annoyed with Michigan again. Getting 56 points hung on you when your defense is supposed to be a strength is just...unbelievable.

And it wouldn't be so bad if this was a generational OSU team and it's a rare occurence, but the defense has been bad in big games for YEARS. Hard to forget last year's OSU loss and last year's Bowl loss and the several bad games this year too.

I know Don Brown is this highly touted defensive coordinator, but I'm kind of ready to see if the grass on the other side is greener right about now. He definitely has not impressed me the past few years with how the defense has been prepared for big games.

As long as Alabama doesn't get in.

We should get...

Ohio State
    Clemson (If they win the ACC)
    LSU/Georgia (SEC Champ)
    Anyone but Alabama. (Praying for Auburn to beat them so there is no question they are out.)

People have been saying how Oregon and Utah couldn't hang with Alabama or LSU, but at least Oregon didn't let Auburn hang 48 points on them >.>

That elite SEC defense, yo.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh man, that poor kicker.

Well that's it for 'Bama. It's right there for OU to take. Watch them lose to Oklahoma St.

Well that's it for 'Bama. It's right there for OU to take. Watch them lose to Oklahoma St.
    Nothing would make this Utah fan happier than if they did. Because if they choke and then beat Baylor, Utah would literally just have to win out and be in. With Minnesota and Alabama going down OU is pretty much the only team that could jump Utah at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Come on Utah, please don't choke to Colorado like you've done in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    Nothing would make this Utah fan happier than if they did. Because if they choke and then beat Baylor, Utah would literally just have to win out and be in. With Minnesota and Alabama going down OU is pretty much the only team that could jump Utah at this point.
    Probably but I honestly wouldn't count out Baylor. If they win out and OU wins out and Baylor beats what would probably be a 5th or 6th ranked OU, Baylor winning the Big 12 MIGHT be considered enough to pass Utah.

Baylor is such a weird thing for me. I absolutely hated the program under Briles. I thought they should have given it the death penalty for the rampant lack of control everyone at Baylor exhibited under his regime. The fact that he is still allowed to coach young men in high school is just disgusting to me but that's another story.

What's so interesting is Baylor's coach Matt Rhule was named the most trusted power 5 coach in the state of Texas by high school coaches. That's big in a state where high school football is almost like a lower division of the NCAA. Those coaches help push kids to schools that they believe will help them further their lives and careers. If they trust this guy who is from New York over a guy like Tom Herman who is a Texas alum, it shows the divide between the two coaches regarding maturity and competence. Rhule was a quiet, non splashy hire who is doing a fantastic job in a program that was almost literally dead. Herman was the big name up and comer who promised the moon but is once again trying to defend a mediocre year of incompetence at a school that while not really being a blue blood, has every advantage of one.

With schools like Texas and Texas A&M with coaches like Herman and Fisher, it's something that Matt Rhule and his Baylor Bears are the best football team in the state.
    Last edited by Budong; 2019-12-01 at 12:56 AM.

Probably but I honestly wouldn't count out Baylor. If they win out and OU wins out and Baylor beats what would probably be a 5th or 6th ranked OU, Baylor winning the Big 12 MIGHT be considered enough to pass Utah.

Baylor is such a weird thing for me. I absolutely hated the program under Briles. I thought they should have given it the death penalty for the rampant lack of control everyone at Baylor exhibited under his regime. The fact that he is still allowed to coach young men in high school is just disgusting to me but that's another story.

What's so interesting is Baylor's coach Matt Rhule was named the most trusted power 5 coach in the state of Texas by high school coaches. That's big in a state where high school football is almost like a lower division of the NCAA. Those coaches help push kids to schools that they believe will help them further their lives and careers. If they trust this guy who is from New York over a guy like Tom Herman who is a Texas alum, it shows the divide between the two coaches regarding maturity and competence. Rhule was a quiet, non splashy hire who is doing a fantastic job in a program that was almost literally dead. Herman was the big name up and comer who promised the moon but is once again trying to defend a mediocre year of incompetence at a school that while not really being a blue blood, has every advantage of one.

With schools like Texas and Texas A&M with coaches like Herman and Fisher, it's something that Matt Rhule and his Baylor Bears are the best football team in the state.
    If Baylor and OU both win out then, OU is definitely jumping Utah and Baylor has a shot at it. That's why I want OU to lose to OSU and then beat Baylor.

Though with the way Utah is struggling so far my biggest concern is that they even make it to the P12 championship. Almost felt like they'd gotten past their habit of playing down to the other team in important games. But so far this is playing out similar to the USC loss.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    As long as Alabama doesn't get in.

We should get...

Ohio State
    Clemson (If they win the ACC)
    LSU/Georgia (SEC Champ)
    Anyone but Alabama. (Praying for Auburn to beat them so there is no question they are out.)
    Awwwwwwww, @muto guess you were wrong. Oregon is objectively better than Alabama, allowing less points against Auburn than 'Bama. Waaaaaaaaa-hahahahahaha.

So, anyhoo - on to the never ending joy of CFP speculation:

Georgia is going to lose. If they beat LSU they will both attend the CFP - but LSU should beat them.

'Bama is out (thank god). Looks like it's Utah's/OU's to lose at this point. Fourth spot should go to a conf champ with one-loss.

What if OU loses tonight and then beats Baylor? And Georgia loses the SEC champ game. And Oregon beats Utah. Would Oregon have a chance at getting back in?
    Last edited by cubby; 2019-12-01 at 01:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Georgia is going to lose. If they beat LSU they will both attend the CFP - but LSU should beat them.

'Bama is out (thank god). Looks like it's Utah's/OU's to lose at this point. Fourth spot should go to a conf champ with one-loss.

What if OU loses tonight and then beats Baylor? And Georgia loses the SEC champ game. And Oregon beats Utah. Would Oregon have a chance at getting back in?
    I think in that situation it goes to either Oregon or OU, depending on how big of a winning margin they have.