Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Holy Rosebuds Batman...! I did not know that. Apologies and thank you. Now I'm forced to review what I've written above and possibly root for Utah....

And the CFP rankings tomorrow? Is @Brubear right? Will they be indicative of the final CFP? You don't know what you're asking me to do!!!
    I should clarify: it's any pac-12 team within 1 win of the second highest ranked P-12 team.

I'm positive Utah will be #5 today. OU might have played more ranked teams, but Utah's played a lot more bowl eligible teams, and blown them out for a larger stretch than OU has. That should even things out quite favorably for us.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilithvia View Post
    I should clarify: it's any pac-12 team within 1 win of the second highest ranked P-12 team.

I'm positive Utah will be #5 today. OU might have played more ranked teams, but Utah's played a lot more bowl eligible teams, and blown them out for a larger stretch than OU has. That should even things out quite favorably for us.
    And Utah just seems to be getting better as the season progresses. I wish I could say the same for Oregon - but the loss to ASU (WTHF) and then the close game against Oregon State has me worried. I would very much love for the SEC/Big-10 to bang their heads against a good Pac-12 defense.

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    And Utah just seems to be getting better as the season progresses. I wish I could say the same for Oregon - but the loss to ASU (WTHF) and then the close game against Oregon State has me worried. I would very much love for the SEC/Big-10 to bang their heads against a good Pac-12 defense.
    1.5h till we hopefully see Utah move to #5.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    1.5h till we hopefully see Utah move to #5.
    Utah is 5th!

5+ Year Old Account
    I told you.

- - - Updated - - -

Fuck @muto; he talks all this shit and then when the Committee refuses to back him up he ghosts

I'm pleasantly surprised by the rankings.

I hope Utah wins and OU doesn't leapfrog them, but I'm just glad that this is the second year in a row Utah will be playing for a Rose Bowl berth. The shot at the CFP makes it even better.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    I'm pleasantly surprised by the rankings.

I hope Utah wins and OU doesn't leapfrog them, but I'm just glad that this is the second year in a row Utah will be playing for a Rose Bowl berth. The shot at the CFP makes it even better.
    It's almost like I know what I'm talking about...

It's almost like I know what I'm talking about...
    I mean, if you don't think it could have gone either way you're letting your love of Utah blind you mate. Simply reading the interviews by the committee shows that it wasn't a clear case of one of them being better than the other, and there is still a very legitimate chance that OU leapfrogs Utah (see: TCU as a good example). I've been pretty clear that, if Utah stays ahead of OU, they have a great chance at being in the playoffs and that it'll come down to how they both win in their championship game.
    If they both blow them out, are they going to give Utah more credit for beating the #13 team or OU for beating the #9 team for a second time?It really was close between those two, just like it was likely close between the rest of the 1-loss teams after them, and all of the 2-win teams after that.

You can make a strong argument for both teams (OU has the better SOS, their opponents have a better winning %, and they have more ranked wins. Utah has a better-looking loss and has been more impressive in most of their games), and you can make equally strong arguments against them (Utah hasn't beaten a ranked team or a team with more than 7 wins, and has only beaten 3 teams with a winning record. OU has really struggled in a lot of their games, especially in the majority of their last few ones).

The committee has been far more favorable to the Pac-12 this year than they have in years past, and they were far harsher on Alabama than they normally have been after a loss, which I'm happy about. Yet you just have to look at how the committee has ranked teams before to see that they quite often give the more historical or well-known programs more leeway than other teams. It's why Texas, TA&M, and Miss. State are still brought up as quality wins but WSU and ASU aren't.

Utah is in a good place being at #5, and I really hope they pull this off and are given their shot, yet I've seen the committee snub similar teams before and I've seen Utah fall short in this position many times.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Pac-12 championship in four hours. Still not sure if I'm in a win/win situation or not rooting or not rooting for the ducks. Best case scenario is Utah wins and gets in the CFP and Oregon still makes the Rose Bowl (@Lilithvia are we 100% certain about that rule re next-best Pac-12 makes the Rose Bowl? - I need some help managing my dilemma ). Worst case is that Oregon loses decisively, but Utah doesn't make the CFP (see below), and then Oregon is stuck in some shit hole Bowl like the Outback slugging out with another shitty team like Alabama.

My biggest concern is the overall end-game east coast bias against the Pac-12 - even if the CFP Chair this year is the Oregon Athletic Director. It always seems like the sport ends up shitting all over the west coast, regardless. For example, at least right now, the top story on ESPN College Football is a recycled one from when Utah was ranked #6, instead of where they are now, at #5. But you can bet when the Ohio State games comes up tomorrow, they'll have a list of breakfast meats from that morning.

Anyhoo. It seems like if Utah beats Oregon decisively, they will still somehow give it to Oklahoma after they beat Baylor. Probably my west coast bias, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Ducks looking good. Utah offense stopped first drive, Ducks up 7-0.

- - - Updated - - -

10-0 Oregon, and now it's turned into a defense fight. Interesting.
    Last edited by cubby; 2019-12-06 at 09:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Well at least the way the PAC-12 Championship is going it should clear up any controversy around the CFP. We might finally have a non-controversial CFP lineup if Oklahoma can take care of business with Baylor.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Well at least the way the PAC-12 Championship is going it should clear up any controversy around the CFP. We might finally have a non-controversial CFP lineup if Oklahoma can take care of business with Baylor.
    Someone is going to mess up this weekend and throw everything in disarray.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Someone is going to mess up this weekend and throw everything in disarray.
    Well, barring a second half comeback from Utah, which is totally possible, there aren't too many game left that really could make it too controversial. Anyone that loses is just out, without too much controversy. The thing that could make it controversial would be Georgia beating LSU, which would almost certainly result in both teams making it in.

Otherwise, if Oklahoma loses, Baylor just goes instead. If Ohio State loses, they probably get in anyway, although that could cause some controversy, they would be the best looking one loss team in the country, so I don't think it would matter. Clemson is in a similar position, but somewhat more likely to lose the slot.

So I think the SEC championship is the only one that really causes drama if it has an upset. Of course there is always the possibility of multiple upsets, which is where it gets weird. But right now I think LSU, OSU, and probably Clemson are all in even if they lose this weekend.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Agreed. Not looking good for Utah atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    well, never thought Id have to even semi support Oklahoma but, here I am. Oklahoma is a rival I love to hate because its a fun rivalry. I HAAAAAATE Baylor.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Classy finish by the Ducks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    well, never thought Id have to even semi support Oklahoma but, here I am. Oklahoma is a rival I love to hate because its a fun rivalry. I HAAAAAATE Baylor.
    Agreed. Baylor - the most overrated team in the country. And beating OK won't change that. I wish there was room for more inter conference games. Oregon would crush either.

Classy finish by the Ducks.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. Baylor - the most overrated team in the country. And beating OK won't change that. I wish there was room for more inter conference games. Oregon would crush either.
    Haha...I wouldn't like any Pac 12 teams chances against either Baylor or Oklahoma. Winner of Big 12 should be in the CFP unless Georgia beats LSU.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Budong View Post
    Haha...I wouldn't like any Pac 12 teams chances against either Baylor or Oklahoma. Winner of Big 12 should be in the CFP unless Georgia beats LSU.
    Are you kidding me? Oregon, Utah, and possibly USC would be top contenders against any Big 12 teams. I mean, look at Baylor... Totally overrated and easy-mode SOS outside of OU.

However, this very conversation is why more end of season out of conference games should happen.

Are you kidding me? Oregon, Utah, and possibly USC would be top contenders against any Big 12 teams. I mean, look at Baylor... Totally overrated and easy-mode SOS outside of OU.

However, this very conversation is why more end of season out of conference games should happen.
    I'm not kidding and I don't agree. I believe you overestimate the conference you're a fan of and underestimate the others. These are our opinions though, so I won't waste time on them. Opinions are subjective and not worth debating.

Saturday could be very interesting.

Whelp, Utah went full MWC-era Whit. This season had given me hope that he'd finally gotten that sort of offensive playcalling out of his system, but apparently not.

It's exhausting being a fan of both a college and NFL team that have the same problem every season. An offense that is obsessed with being a run-first team to their detriment and a loaded defense that has a tendency to have their biggest strength get absolutely shredded.

A Utah QB hasn't come even close to cracking the top 100 single season passing list since the '80s. Hell just passing for more than 2,500 yards is a milestone. Whit needs to realize that being a pass-first team is far more likely to win you big games than being a run-first in the CFP-era.

Honestly, if he doesn't either change his ways or luck out and find himself another Brian Johnson or Alex Smith in the next four years I really doubt Utah will make it to a Rose Bowl much less the CFP for awhile. He needs to figure out how to win in LA and to at least beat Oregon and Washington half the time.
    Last edited by Brubear; 2019-12-07 at 10:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Budong View Post
    I'm not kidding and I don't agree. I believe you overestimate the conference you're a fan of and underestimate the others. These are our opinions though, so I won't waste time on them. Opinions are subjective and not worth debating.

Saturday could be very interesting.
    Well, honestly the difference is who gets to be OSUs warmup game at this point. Oregon, Utah, Oklahoma, or Baylor are all basically the same in that they don't stand a snowballs chance there. None of them have the defense to stop Ohio or the Offense to keep it close.

This year there are really 3 top teams and everyone else. You make a case for Georgia, but that is going to sort itself out today.