Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure we can trust "BUCKNUTS: Your Inside Source for Ohio State Sports" to be without bias.

Also, I refuse to concede that Stephen A. Smith (one of the people cited in that article) knows better than I do about any subject, especially football.
    /s

In my opinion, the targeting call was correct. The fumble or not I have no opinion one way or another. I can see both arguments.

Officiating didn't cost Ohio the loss. Failure to capitalize in the red zone early on cost them the game. Settling for field goals and only 9 points hurts a lot more than getting a potential 21 points.

It was a great game, either way.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I'm sure we can trust "BUCKNUTS: Your Inside Source for Ohio State Sports" to be without bias.

Also, I refuse to concede that Stephen A. Smith (one of the people cited in that article) knows better than I do about any subject, especially football.
    He's been a sports journalist for 20+ years, has had multiple talk shows ( first take being one of the best ) if you knew more than he did, you would be famous for it and not him. Yet I'm the one with a bias? Good job pot.

For reference, there are tons of articles out there. 247sports isn't biased, they just have, now just imagine thins for a moment, have some writers that write about specific teams. Mind blown right? How could a website, have a writer, that writes about only a specific team? Crazy right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post

He's better at yelling incoherent nonsense on camera at least

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    The official that they had wired up at the game gave an explanation as to why it wasn't a fumble in his eyes. I read up on the rule and watched examples online. It's borderline, but to me the point is that he was still pulling the ball into his body, but it's subjective, and that's why it could go either way.

I'm utterly mystified how you can't see that the hit was textbook targeting as the rule is written. He put his head down and led with it going full speed into the quarterback. Sure, it happened to hit the head and he couldn't have predicted that, but the rule is written to protect the QB and prevent defenders from taking actions that could lead to spearing the qb helmet first. That gets called 100 out of 100 times. When you say, "You cannot adjust enough" then you're arguing that the rule is bad. I would say that you can't always avoid head to head contact, but you can avoid leading with your head by keeping your head up and making sure that you're wrapping up instead of spearing. It makes tackling harder, obviously, but that's the rule. It probably wasn't a penalty when you played, but it is now and it has been for a couple years.

I'm trying my best to avoid bias by highlighting who I was rooting for and explaining. I do think that your claim that this is clearly my bias is pretty difficult to substantiate.
    I agree - the PI call was borderline, but you can certainly see where the onsite refs were coming from. The Targeting call was 100% correct - there isn't even room for doubt on that. People claiming otherwise need to learn to be objective when rooting for their team.

The OSU fans are being horrific in their "retribution" for the "bad call" in the game. At some point that's already been passed, they're just fucking sore losers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BurningSkies2018 View Post
    In my opinion, the targeting call was correct. The fumble or not I have no opinion one way or another. I can see both arguments.

Officiating didn't cost Ohio the loss. Failure to capitalize in the red zone early on cost them the game. Settling for field goals and only 9 points hurts a lot more than getting a potential 21 points.

It was a great game, either way.
    Agreed. As the Clemson coach said right after it ended, this is what college football should be. Terrific game, two great teams going head-to-head with uncertainty in the win until the very last play. I thought OSU was going to drive it into the end zone until the interception.

Lol @Scrod re good point in maybe not letting Lawrence run 67 yards in one play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somehow Florida's best player last night was their running back, for the first time possibly since Emmitt Smith.

Utah looking really bad against an unranked Texas. Texas defensive line is in the backfield instantly every play. Utah's defense is giving up some really bad penalties, a couple face masks, and a late hit. Longhorns are making them look like the unranked team.

Really tired of Utah just not showing up at all in important games. Been a hallmark of Whittingham for quite awhile, and they finally seemed to have put it behind them, but they've been classic Utah for the last few games. Even if they somehow pull this off, that doesn't change that they fell behind 24-3 to a 7-5 Texas team.

Really starting to think Whit might have peaked. Can't win at USC, been blown out in their last two bowl games and conference championships, this season with the best roster he's had since 2009. They've been slow to make adjustments
    and even when they find something that works they don't stick with it. If he couldn't turn the corner this year I just don't see him doing it in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    That beat down felt real good. Texas finally puts it all together and performs well. Gives me hope for next year if we dont get injured as badly again.

Also, if Baylor doesn't win tomorrow, Texas will be the only Big12 team to win their bowl. rofl.

10+ Year Old Account
    Michigan: 2 chances at HUGE plays, both bad throws by Shae Patterson

Alabama: 1 play for 85 yard TD

This is going to be a long game again I suspect

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    Really tired of Utah just not showing up at all in important games. Been a hallmark of Whittingham for quite awhile, and they finally seemed to have put it behind them, but they've been classic Utah for the last few games. Even if they somehow pull this off, that doesn't change that they fell behind 24-3 to a 7-5 Texas team.

Really starting to think Whit might have peaked. Can't win at USC, been blown out in their last two bowl games and conference championships, this season with the best roster he's had since 2009. They've been slow to make adjustments
    and even when they find something that works they don't stick with it. If he couldn't turn the corner this year I just don't see him doing it in the future.
    Agreed. I missed the game but was floored when I saw the score. And TX isn't even really strong this year, right? Utah wasn't there for the Pac-12 Champ game and they apparently missed the plane coming to their bowl.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Michigan: 2 chances at HUGE plays, both bad throws by Shae Patterson

Alabama: 1 play for 85 yard TD

This is going to be a long game again I suspect
    Michigan is showing some life. But yeah, couldn't believe those two missed opps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Agreed. I missed the game but was floored when I saw the score. And TX isn't even really strong this year, right? Utah wasn't there for the Pac-12 Champ game and they apparently missed the plane coming to their bowl.

- - - Updated - - -

Michigan is showing some life. But yeah, couldn't believe those two missed opps.
    Texas kept up with LSU and only lost by 1 score. We were just decimated by injuries on the D, combined with just bad coordinator plays. We are probably slightly better than our record indicates because of that. Also, Texas just seems to do well in bowl games in general, and Tom is excellent at getting our guys hyped up and serious about it even if the bowl isnt prestigious.

Im also reaaaaly tired of the "We didnt wanna be here" narrative whenever we win. It didnt fly with Georgia, it shouldnt fly with utah.

As for Michigan, Ive got some thoughts on it but I really dont wanna jinx the game :x

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Texas kept up with LSU and only lost by 1 score. We were just decimated by injuries on the D, combined with just bad coordinator plays. We are probably slightly better than our record indicates because of that. Also, Texas just seems to do well in bowl games in general, and Tom is excellent at getting our guys hyped up and serious about it even if the bowl isnt prestigious.
    That's right - I had forgotten. TX was slated to really come out swinging this year. Holding onto LSU is a feat in and of itself.

Im also reaaaaly tired of the "We didnt wanna be here" narrative whenever we win. It didnt fly with Georgia, it shouldnt fly with utah.
    Agreed. It's bullshit. If you agree to go to a bowl game, you better want to be there - otherwise give someone else who cares a shot. Poor sportsmanship imo.

As for Michigan, Ive got some thoughts on it but I really dont wanna jinx the game :x
    Is anyone rooting for AL?

10+ Year Old Account
    Michigan - methodical drives mixing up passing and running well. Alabama - one big play and hope for the best, zilch the rest of the drives.

10+ Year Old Account
    That was a bullshit penalty. Alabama getting an easy call there. No way that was roughing the passer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    That was a bullshit penalty. Alabama getting an easy call there. No way that was roughing the passer.
    I don't see how he's supposed to fall without at least partially landing on the quarterback.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bad 2 min drill, but still end up with the lead going into the half. Now we get to see if the Michigan staff can hang with Alabama when they start making adjustments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Michigan: "Hey, Alabama, wanna know what it feels like to have a kicker?"

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    So, let's have some fun with the rest of the day's bowl games. Cut and paste the below if you want to bet on who will win (obviously, input your own choices. Betting for bragging rights, of course.

Outback Bowl
    Minnesota vs Auburn
    Cubby: Auburn

Citrus Bowl
    Michigan vs Alabama
    Cubby: Michigan

Rose Bowl
    Oregon vs Wisconsin
    Cubby: Oregon

Sugar Bowl
    Georgia vs Baylor
    Cubby: Georgia (will fucking kill Baylor - second confirmation that the Big-12 is overrated - yes, I will be eating crow if a different result transpires)
    Last edited by cubby; 2020-01-01 at 08:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Minnesota

Michigan

Oregon (ok cool, Quack'em)

Baylor. They're in the same situation as we were last year so I have some faith. Also, if Rhule leaves it'll be a nice sendoff.

10+ Year Old Account
    First play in teh redzone, commentators mention that Michigan needs to come away with a TD here.

Patterson proceeds to hang on to the ball too long, gets sacked, loses the ball and nearly ruins their chances to win this game.

- - - Updated - - -

Scratch that. Drive doesn't reach FG range after the sack/fumble, so Michigan has to punt.

Alabama is playing their back up QB and they might have the better QB situation. Patterson is just dreadful today.