Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather see Utah in than Oklahoma, presuming they both do what they need to.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    I think in that situation it goes to either Oregon or OU, depending on how big of a winning margin they have.
    I've never been a bigger Oklahoma State fan than I am tonight.
    Last edited by cubby; 2019-12-01 at 01:56 AM.

With how Utah has been playing against Colorado, their only shot at the CFP at this point is OU losing to OSU today. I don't think they'll be getting many style points from this game if they win.

Both teams did what they needed to. The conference championships will decide it, as it should be. Utah is at a huge disadvantage with their match up. OU beats top 10 Baylor they are in.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Budong View Post
    Both teams did what they needed to. The conference championships will decide it, as it should be. Utah is at a huge disadvantage with their match up. OU beats top 10 Baylor they are in.
    Why is Baylor such a better victory than Oregon?

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Because the committee has them ranked higher.

OSU, LSU, Clemson, and Georgia are going to stay the same. Alabama will probably drop down to around 8-11. Utah & OU will be #5 and 6 (I think OU will leapfrog Utah this week since they beat a ranked team versus Utah beating a 5-6 Colorado team), Baylor will be #7, Wisconsisn will probably jump Florida and PSU to take #8 with Alabama, Auburn, PSU, Florida and Oregon after them (possibly in that order as well). Assuming there are no upsets in any of the title games, the fourth spot will go to either the P12 or B12 winner, and based on the committees criteria that they (claim) they use, the edge goes to OU.

If OU wins out then I think the committee will put them at #4 ahead of Utah. They'll have played more teams currently ranked by the committee than Utah (Baylor twice, OSU if they don't drop out, and ISU to Utah's Oregon and USC), including a win against a likely top-10 team. Yes, Utah will have the better loss (ranked USC vs unranked KSU). Utah has been more dominant in their wins than OU has been since September by a wide margin, especially over the last 5 games (338 to 99 vs 372 to 230). But OU has played againt teams with a slightly better record (.5370 vs .4904 win percentage). Their OOC slate is a wash (Utah's OOC has a better record, OU has a better scoring margin and both played a P5, a G5, and a DII school).

So it'll probably come down to SOS/ranked wins, which OU has a better resume on than Utah based on committee rankings.
    Last edited by Brubear; 2019-12-01 at 10:11 AM.

Money is on Oregon to beat Utah. Utah opened at 6.5 favorites, it's already down to 4.5. Jerry Palm also predicts Oregon will win Pac 12 Championship game. I honestly haven't seen enough of either to make any kind of educated prediction.

Brubear answered the question pretty thoroughly. To put it simply though, Baylor is ranked higher with a better record. Two losses drops Oregon down a bit.

Money is on Oregon to beat Utah. Utah opened at 6.5 favorites, it's already down to 4.5. Jerry Palm also predicts Oregon will win Pac 12 Championship game. I honestly haven't seen enough of either to make any kind of educated prediction.

Brubear answered the question pretty thoroughly. To put it simply though, Baylor is ranked higher with a better record. Two losses drops Oregon down a bit.
    Honestly, I see the PC12 championship as being a toss-up. I think most the experts are picking Oregon because they lost a close one to Auburn to open the season and beat USC compared to Utah's early-season loss to USC. But I'm not sure that counteracts Oregon's ugly loss to ASU who Utah beat easily.

If you compare the teams stats against similar teams (Utah didn't play Stanford, Oregon didn't play UCLA, they both played all other P12 schools), they're pretty close offensively with Utah being better running and Oregon better passing, and defensively Utah is significantly better. So against the same 8 teams Utah has averaged the same amount of points while holding the other team to far fewer points.

Either way, it's the first Utah game I'll be going to since they beat TA&M the year they went to the Fiesta Bowl, so I'm hoping for a Utah victory.

*Realized it was the year they went to the Fiesta Bowl with Alex Smith, not the year they went to the Sugar Bowl. Didn't realize how long it's been since I went to a game.
    Last edited by Brubear; 2019-12-01 at 10:30 PM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Because the committee has them ranked higher.

OSU, LSU, Clemson, and Georgia are going to stay the same. Alabama will probably drop down to around 8-11. Utah & OU will be #5 and 6 (I think OU will leapfrog Utah this week since they beat a ranked team versus Utah beating a 5-6 Colorado team), Baylor will be #7, Wisconsisn will probably jump Florida and PSU to take #8 with Alabama, Auburn, PSU, Florida and Oregon after them (possibly in that order as well). Assuming there are no upsets in any of the title games, the fourth spot will go to either the P12 or B12 winner, and based on the committees criteria that they (claim) they use, the edge goes to OU.

If OU wins out then I think the committee will put them at #4 ahead of Utah. They'll have played more teams currently ranked by the committee than Utah (Baylor twice, OSU if they don't drop out, and ISU to Utah's Oregon and USC), including a win against a likely top-10 team. Yes, Utah will have the better loss (ranked USC vs unranked KSU). Utah has been more dominant in their wins that OU has been since September by a wide margin, especially over the last 5 games (3338 to 99 vs 372 to 230). But OU has played againt teams with a slightly better record (.5370 vs .4904 win percentage). Their OOC slate is a wash (Utah's OOC has a better record, OU has a better scoring margin and both played a P5, a G5, and a DII school).

So it'll probably come down to SOS/ranked wins, which OU has a better resume on than Utah based on committee rankings.
    Thanks for that answer/analysis.

Eh. Bookies change the odds so that they make bank or cover. All it means is they have too many people betting Utah over Oregon and need to make betting Oregon more favorable.

Utah looks like the better team. If you want a Pac-12 team in you want Utah to win the Championship. Near Utah or Oregon are getting in with two losses.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Eh. Bookies change the odds so that they make bank or cover. All it means is they have too many people betting Utah over Oregon and need to make betting Oregon more favorable.

Utah looks like the better team. If you want a Pac-12 team in you want Utah to win the Championship. Near Utah or Oregon are getting in with two losses.
    If OU beats Baylor it won't matter what Utah does.

If OU beats Baylor it won't matter what Utah does.
    I think it will come down to Tuesdays rankings.

If OU jumps Utah (I think they will since OSU is currently ranked and Colorado isn't even going to a bowl game), then I think OU is in barring something crazy (like OU struggling to win and Utah winning by 40-50 points).

However, if the committee keeps Utah ahead (I don't think they will, but they still might) then it will come down to how well they both do in their conference championship games, with whoever plays better getting in.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Im being biased, Id rather have Utah in over either big 12 team cause I like neither. If im being unbiased, Oklahoma has the better SoS.

anyways today was bloody sunday for football. Lots of cpaches let go. Herman fired Mehringer and Orlando, while demoting Meekins and Beck. I feel bad for Orlando, but Mehringer deserves to be run out of town given no player liked him and he was apparently regularly backstabbing Herman.

Im 90% the only reason we are keeping Beck is because we reaaaaaaaly want Bijan and Bijan is big on Beck.

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.

My sign from last night

- - - Updated - - -

And time for that weekly purgatory where I'm the only poster...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    If Im being biased, Id rather have Utah in over either big 12 team cause I like neither. If im being unbiased, Oklahoma has the better SoS.

anyways today was bloody sunday for football. Lots of cpaches let go. Herman fired Mehringer and Orlando, while demoting Meekins and Beck. I feel bad for Orlando, but Mehringer deserves to be run out of town given no player liked him and he was apparently regularly backstabbing Herman.

Im 90% the only reason we are keeping Beck is because we reaaaaaaaly want Bijan and Bijan is big on Beck.
    Unbiased Utah facts: 100% more style points than OU

- - - Updated - - -

Chris Peterson resigns! woah

- - - Updated - - -

They are already saying that a win over Oregon won't be enough to displace Alabama.

I would love to see LSU try out Utah's defense though.
    So... how's that going for you?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think it will come down to Tuesdays rankings.

If OU jumps Utah (I think they will since OSU is currently ranked and Colorado isn't even going to a bowl game), then I think OU is in barring something crazy (like OU struggling to win and Utah winning by 40-50 points).

However, if the committee keeps Utah ahead (I don't think they will, but they still might) then it will come down to how well they both do in their conference championship games, with whoever plays better getting in.
    If the committee keeps Utah ahead of OU on Tuesday, would you say that if both OU and Utah win reasonably well, they wouldn't put OU ahead, because the conf win will be a better win for OU - could it come down so really tight numbers for the #4 spot?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lilithvia View Post
    My sign from last night
    Great sign.

- - - Updated - - -

Chris Peterson resigns! woah
    I just saw the news a few hours ago. Whoa is right - what the hell? To "recharge" - that doesn't even make sense.

- - - Updated - - -
    They are already saying that a win over Oregon won't be enough to displace Alabama.

I would love to see LSU try out Utah's defense though.
    So... how's that going for you?
    (I'm not sure what you mean exactly here...so my answer might not hit the mark or make zero sense to your question)

Loved the Iron Bowl - watched the last few minutes (same time as the Civil War). Every shot of Saban screaming was pure joy. Auburn...I hate that I had to root for them, but I'm glad it "worked".

If Utah beating Oregon was a 100% guarantee to put them into the CFP, I would have some serious troubles who to root for, given I love to promote the veracity of the Pac-12 (@Muto can suck it! - in a friendly college football way, of course ). I would also love to see Oregon in the Rose Bowl. So I am torn, but obviously leaning towards rooting for Oregon.

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    If the committee keeps Utah ahead of OU on Tuesday, would you say that if both OU and Utah win reasonably well, they wouldn't put OU ahead, because the conf win will be a better win for OU - could it come down so really tight numbers for the #4 spot?

- - - Updated - - -

Great sign.

- - - Updated - - -

I just saw the news a few hours ago. Whoa is right - what the hell? To "recharge" - that doesn't even make sense.

- - - Updated - - -

(I'm not sure what you mean exactly here...so my answer might not hit the mark or make zero sense to your question)

Loved the Iron Bowl - watched the last few minutes (same time as the Civil War). Every shot of Saban screaming was pure joy. Auburn...I hate that I had to root for them, but I'm glad it "worked".

If Utah beating Oregon was a 100% guarantee to put them into the CFP, I would have some serious troubles who to root for, given I love to promote the veracity of the Pac-12 (@Muto can suck it! - in a friendly college football way, of course ). I would also love to see Oregon in the Rose Bowl. So I am torn, but obviously leaning towards rooting for Oregon.
    OU win literally won't confirm anything that hasn't been confirmed.
    AND UTAH GOING TO THE PLAYOFFS WOULD MEAN OREGON TO THE ROSE BOWL YOU - I'll discord DM you.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    OU win literally won't confirm anything that hasn't been confirmed.
    It will be interesting to see how the Committee handles a team beating the same team again. Will they get the credit for the new ranking or will it be a "no duh" moment.

AND UTAH GOING TO THE PLAYOFFS WOULD MEAN OREGON TO THE ROSE BOWL YOU - I'll discord DM you.
    Unfortunately, no. The Rose Bowl has to take the Pac-12 Champion. But if the Pac-12 champ is not available, it becomes an open invite. The Rose Bowl is not obligated to take the 2nd best Pac-12 team....
    Last edited by cubby; 2019-12-03 at 01:49 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    It will be interesting to see how the Committee handles a team beating the same team again. Will they get the credit for the new ranking or will it be a "no duh" moment.

Unfortunately, no. The Rose Bowl has to take the Pac-12 Champion. But if the Pac-12 champ is not available, it becomes an open invite. The Rose Bowl is not obligated to take the 2nd best Pac-12 team....
    It's any team within one win of the second highest ranked P12 team. There are none within 1 besides Utah.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's any team within one win of the second highest ranked P12 team. There are none within 1 besides Utah.
    Holy Rosebuds Batman...! I did not know that. Apologies and thank you. Now I'm forced to review what I've written above and possibly root for Utah....

And the CFP rankings tomorrow? Is @Brubear right? Will they be indicative of the final CFP? You don't know what you're asking me to do!!!
    Last edited by cubby; 2019-12-03 at 03:58 AM.

- - - Updated - - -

Great sign.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Assuming they keep Utah ahead of OU and they both win their games in an equal manner, then I imagine it'll come down to things like SOS (could go either way depending on whether ISU or OkSU stay ranked or not), quality of losses, and how they won their games. Which I would say Utah has the advantage, but really could go either way with how the committee tends to apply their rules. They've made it pretty clear that their rules are very subjective and are often bent to rank teams over others.