Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Well, honestly the difference is who gets to be OSUs warmup game at this point. Oregon, Utah, Oklahoma, or Baylor are all basically the same in that they don't stand a snowballs chance there. None of them have the defense to stop Ohio or the Offense to keep it close.

This year there are really 3 top teams and everyone else. You make a case for Georgia, but that is going to sort itself out today.
    Maybe, but you never really know how a team matches up until they play. I think Oklahoma would have the best chance.

I disagree with your statement that they don't have the offense to keep it close. They have the number one offense in the country. Yes OSU has the number one defense and OU hasn't played against one as good this year, but they showed in the last few years that their offense can score on anyone in the CFP. OU's defense prevented them from winning those games.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Well, honestly the difference is who gets to be OSUs warmup game at this point. Oregon, Utah, Oklahoma, or Baylor are all basically the same in that they don't stand a snowballs chance there. None of them have the defense to stop Ohio or the Offense to keep it close.

This year there are really 3 top teams and everyone else. You make a case for Georgia, but that is going to sort itself out today.
    That's just ridiculous to claim that Oregon doesn't have either to stop or beat Ohio. Until they play, you're opinion is just as right/wrong as mine.

And Clemson? Please. They are 4 touchdown favorites too the next best team in the ACC. Sounds like a real competitive conference.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Budong View Post
    I'm not kidding and I don't agree. I believe you overestimate the conference you're a fan of and underestimate the others. These are our opinions though, so I won't waste time on them. Opinions are subjective and not worth debating.

Saturday could be very interesting.
    I wish there was a way that more inter-conference games could happen. While we disagree, there isn't any objective way to decide it, outside of playing each other.
    Last edited by cubby; 2019-12-07 at 06:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe, but you never really know how a team matches up until they play. I think Oklahoma would have the best chance.

I disagree with your statement that they don't have the offense to keep it close. They have the number one offense in the country. Yes OSU has the number one defense and OU hasn't played against one as good this year, but they showed in the last few years that their offense can score on anyone in the CFP. OU's defense prevented them from winning those games.
    To Be Fair, you had Heisman winning QB's. Jalen isn't as good with certainly a higher propensity to turn the ball over, so I think you'd need to rely a LOT on CD Lamb and hope your line can keep Chase Young in check. I suspect OU will score multiple TD's, but it wont be as high flying as the past few years.

Now watch me jinx it. and OU bleats OSU like 60 to 54

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Baylor is a horrifically overrated team. They have had no good wins and struggled against mediocre teams all year. They do this about ever other season. Go undefeated against shitting teams in a shitty conference and then get their asses kicked. The fact that they even have a chance at making the CFP is embarrassing.

OK does seem very good. Terrific offense. But again, no top 25 wins.

LSU and Ohio State and Georgia do seem solid. Georgia's loss to SC is as mystifying as Oregon's loss to ASU. But that's why we lost/hate college football.

Clemson is honestly confusing. They play no one good. They have no top 25 wins. If they beat Virginia to win their conference (and remember they are 4 fucking touchdown favorites - talk about a tight conf champ game ) it will be their only decent win. But...BUT...they crushed the CFP last year. Decisively winning the whole fucking thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    and I soon as I say Jalen has a turnover problem, he turns it over. :x

but to be fair to Baylor, Rhule is an absolutely outstanding coach. While there were some games they absolutely should have lost, to go from 1-11 after a MASSIVE scandal to what they are today is a massive improvement. Might be a little ahead of schedule but Rhule is damn good.
    Last edited by Crissi; 2019-12-07 at 06:43 PM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post

but to be fair to Baylor, Rhule is an absolutely outstanding coach. While there were some games they absolutely should have lost, to go from 1-11 after a MASSIVE scandal to what they are today is a massive improvement. Might be a little ahead of schedule but Rhule is damn good.
    Lol, yeah, you timed that pretty well.

I cannot disagree with you about Rhule (and what a great coach name, too). Very impressive. And, hate to admit, but both teams are looking good out there atm.

- - - Updated - - -

There we go. OK eeks out a win against Baylor. Seem like if the LSU/Ohio games go the way we anticipate, OK gets the 4th spot. Travesty.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Baylor is a horrifically overrated team. They have had no good wins and struggled against mediocre teams all year. They do this about ever other season. Go undefeated against shitting teams in a shitty conference and then get their asses kicked. The fact that they even have a chance at making the CFP is embarrassing.

OK does seem very good. Terrific offense. But again, no top 25 wins.

LSU and Ohio State and Georgia do seem solid. Georgia's loss to SC is as mystifying as Oregon's loss to ASU. But that's why we lost/hate college football.

Clemson is honestly confusing. They play no one good. They have no top 25 wins. If they beat Virginia to win their conference (and remember they are 4 fucking touchdown favorites - talk about a tight conf champ game ) it will be their only decent win. But...BUT...they crushed the CFP last year. Decisively winning the whole fucking thing.
    What do you mean no top 25 wins?

When they played them, their ranking.

Texas-#11

Baylor-#13

Oklahoma St.-#21

Baylor-#7

That's four. Four is more than none.

If Georgia loses, OU getting the fourth spot is a travesty why?

- - - Updated - - -

He is. If given the opportunity, would you trade head coaches?

10+ Year Old Account

Texas-#11

Baylor-#13

Oklahoma St.-#21

Baylor-#7

- - - Updated - - -

He is. If given the opportunity, would you trade head coaches?
    Id need to see how next year goes and who we get as coordinators, but so far prob. Although Baylor needs Rhule worse than us form a culture standpoint. Texas maybe be super egotistical and delusional, but we aint covering up rapes and "Coach Art Briles did nothing wrong" levels yet.

Our best coaches tended to be nice and classy anyways. I Hope Mack does well at NC.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Texas-#11

Baylor-#13

Oklahoma St.-#21

Baylor-#7

None except Baylor are ranked now. Now is all that matters. Who cares if a team was ranked 8th at the start of the season? If they are 2-9 now, they sure as hell aren't a #8 team. Only OK has played a currently ranked team, #25 OKSt, aside from Baylor, who again doesn't deserve their current rank. I realize it's all subjective at a certain point.

Because OK and Baylor are both overrated, imo.
    Last edited by cubby; 2019-12-07 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    None except Baylor are ranked now. Now is all that matters. Who cares if a team was ranked 8th at the start of the season? If they are 2-9 now, they sure as hell aren't a #8 team. Only OK has played a currently ranked team, #25 OKSt, aside from Baylor, who again doesn't deserve their current rank. I realize it's all subjective at a certain point.

Because OK and Baylor are both overrated, imo.
    You don't get to pick and choose your rankings. They fluctuate all year long, up and down. When determining wins vs top 25, they use what they were ranked at that time. Rankings are just too fluid to do it any other way.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    You don't get to pick and choose your rankings. They fluctuate all year long, up and down. When determining wins vs top 25, they use what they were ranked at that time. Rankings are just too fluid to do it any other way.
    Well, of course you don't get to pick and choose your rankings. Why would you even say that. The rankings are what they are currently, not going back in time. But TX was ranked 9th at the start of the year, are you saying that a win over TX then is worth the same as a win over Wisconsin now?

Rankings are where they are the time of the decision.
    Last edited by cubby; 2019-12-07 at 11:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Georgia gettin' smoked by the rightful #1.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Georgia gettin' smoked by the rightful #1.
    On paper Ohio St. might be considered the more complete team but no one in the country has the resume of LSU. They SHOULD be #1. Who knows what the committee will do.

Rankings being fluid throughout the year is honestly an argument FOR end of season rankings to be the only ones considered in selection. At that point, each team has displayed their whole body of work and their ranking at that point is based on that body of work.

Mid-season AP/CFP rankings are basically only there for media marketing, they don't serve to reflect on the overall season resume of the team because the season isn't complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritters154 View Post
    Rankings being fluid throughout the year is honestly an argument FOR end of season rankings to be the only ones considered in selection. At that point, each team has displayed their whole body of work and their ranking at that point is based on that body of work.

Mid-season AP/CFP rankings are basically only there for media marketing, they don't serve to reflect on the overall season resume of the team because the season isn't complete.
    I agree, but they aren't which is why I used the ones that are.

Except they don't use where they were ranked at the time, otherwise people wouldn't have been questioning the SOS of Clemson, Utah, and Alabama.

At least they shouldn't, but they selectively do. Which is why the SEC SOS is always inflated higher than it should be (no, Tennessee, Ole Miss, and Miss State are not quality wins) while all the other conferences get accused of being weak with only a few good teams.

I do agree that there needs to be more inter conference play. At the bear minimum teams need to limit OOC games to only be played before conference play starts or after it ends unless absolutely necessary. No more of this playing an FCS team right before a big game in Oct/Nov. The lack of common opponents or head-to-head games between top teams makes it really hard to objectively say one team is better than the other.

- - - Updated - - -

And who thought tOSU would be the ones struggling in their conference game?

OU might get left out even with Utah losing to Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    Except they don't use where they were ranked at the time, otherwise people wouldn't have been questioning the SOS of Clemson, Utah, and Alabama.

At least they shouldn't, but they selectively do. Which is why the SEC SOS is always inflated higher than it should be (no, Tennessee, Ole Miss, and Miss State are not quality wins) while all the other conferences get accused of being weak with only a few good teams.

I do agree that there needs to be more inter conference play. At the bear minimum teams need to limit OOC games to only be played before conference play starts or after it ends unless absolutely necessary. No more of this playing an FCS team right before a big game in Oct/Nov. The lack of common opponents or head-to-head games between top teams makes it really hard to objectively say one team is better than the other.

- - - Updated - - -

I wasn't talking about SOS. The other poster said Oklahoma didn't have any Top 25 wins and I was correcting them.

10+ Year Old Account
    man, hope OSU pulls it together. otherwise, we end up with a LSU vs OSU and Clemson vs OU semi, which isnt nearly as fun as LSU vs OU and OSU vs Clemson.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post

How would OU get left out? OU only has 1 loss and they are the conference champs. Oregon wouldnt get in cause 2 losses. Georgia wont get in because 2 losses and arent conference champs. Wisconsin also has 2 losses even if they win the conference.
    Last edited by Crissi; 2019-12-08 at 03:04 AM.

man, hope OSU pulls it together. otherwise, we end up with a LSU vs OSU and Clemson vs OU semi, which isnt nearly as fun as LSU vs OU and OSU vs Clemson.

- - - Updated - - -

How would OU get left out? OU only has 1 loss and they are the conference champs. Oregon wouldnt get in cause 2 losses. Georgia wont get in because 2 losses and arent conference champs. Wisconsin also has 2 losses.
    I still say get rid of all the committee picking who is who and go to the Conference Champs go to the dance. Either do the Power 5 Champs get in and a committee picks 3. Or Pick 8 Conferences and their Champs get in. Let the committee rank them 1-8.

I'm just not sure how to handle the Notre Dame issue with just conference champs.

10+ Year Old Account
    although interesting thought. Does Wisconsin and OSU essentially trade places if Wisc blows OSU out? So Wisc in playoffs, OSU left out. Although OSU murdered Wisc once before so...

and I think fields is hurt so that may be put into play with the comittee to explain a loss here.