Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Texas lost to unranked TCU today. I always wonder how something like that can happen, then I just watched some video and saw one of the worst defensive plays I've ever seen.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=30031364

Texas starts out with 4 down lineman, with about a 5 yard gap between the two on the left and the two on the right. Then there are 5 lb/cbs guarding the 5 wide receivers, with two deep safeties. The ball is snapped, all 4 linemen go wide, and the safeties drift out to cover the wide receivers going deep.

The QB says, "Hey, there's a 10 yard opening in the middle of the field!" and runs 26 yards for a TD, nearly untouched. And that ended up being the game winning score.

Freeze the frame 16 seconds into the video. That's ridiculous! Coaching and discipline is so important in this sport. Texas hasn't had it for a long time.

Oh thank the lord the misery is over. Razorbacks finally win their first SEC game since 2017. Gameplan was solid, but our lack of depth is definitely a problem.

Clemson alumni here but after that game, I think we should drop to 2 and Bama move up to 1... Florida may be tied for 2 actually.
    Member: Shadow Lands Alpha Club, Member since 4/9/2020

UGH. UCF lost. We can't afford any L's as a little conference school. Season feels like it's over when it happens.

Big 12 is the NFCEast of college. Such utter trash lol

RRed River Shootout is gonne be the Red River Shitout, calling it now.

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    Clemson alumni here but after that game, I think we should drop to 2 and Bama move up to 1... Florida may be tied for 2 actually.
    It doesnt honestly matter where Florida or Clemson are ranked.. Neither will beat UGA.

Feel like Arkansas got screwed.

Nick Saban has covid. As someone who advocated for safety and mask-wearing early on, it sucks to see him get it. And at that age, it could be a risk.

In more covid news, something like 19 Florida players has covid, and the LSU/Florida game is being postponed to December 12th. Sad part is this happened right after Dan Mullen said he wanted 90,000 fans in the crowd.

Now Dan Mullen has Covid, because of course he did.

Refs giving this one to Bama!!!

So why doesn't the NFL test players 5 times just so they can get a negative result like Saban?

Wasn't for a botched call in the Auburn game Arkansas would be 3-1. Amazing what half decent coaching will do.

6 interceptions is nuts.

A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Recovery View Post
    It doesnt honestly matter where Florida or Clemson are ranked.. Neither will beat UGA.
    That is a strange claim, Clemson seems perfectly capable of beating anyone in any given year. It doesn't mean they necessarily will, UGA certainly could win as well, but it is a little odd to pretend that Clemson doesn't have a chance. Florida is in the same position, easily in the tier where it could knock off any of the top teams on their better days.

Clemson and 'Bama are definitely #1 and #2. Which order they are in doesn't really matter, both are almost certain to go to the playoffs and settle it there. Georgia doesn't go to the playoffs unless they beat Bama in the rematch.
    "We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine." DJT- Jan 22, 2020
    "And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done." DJT- Feb 26, 2020
    “It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear.” DJT- Feb 27, 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Recovery View Post
    Yeah ummm, nah. Bama just hung 41 on Georgia. Clemson would put up 50+. And no offense run by Stetson Bennet is keeping pace.

Florida on a good day could absolutely hang with and maybe beat UGA too.

Like someone else said, Clemson and Bama are 1 and 2. And there is probably a sizable gap between them and the rest of the country(barring Ohio St who we have yet to see). Unless Notre Dame somehow gets its shit together and somehow beats Clemson in a few weeks, Clemson is moonwalking straight to the playoffs.

No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    One week till Pac-12 football.

Hell, it's about damn time.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, it's currently BC 28 Clemson 26.

- - - Updated - - -

Clemson escapes.
    28-13 at half, 34-28 at final.

My alma mater almost pulls it off against Clemson.

TBH, though, I never thought 28 would be enough.

Ok State aint so great now. pfft, who loses to us?

No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    First game for Utah Football canceled.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    pfft, who loses to us?
    Utah does, apparently

Yes, I'm not stupid enough to say that Notre Dame looked like a juggernaut tonight, or that they should be #1 or anything. But DAMN, it feels good to win a big game for once. I mean jesus. USC, Florida State, Georgia, and Clemson have all had coming out parties against ND in big games in the past 20 years, and ND has never won a game like this. We had a few games against those teams that were the type where at the end the announcer would say, "This is one of those games where you hate to see somebody lose", but we always lost. Then we had a few others we lost by 30. But never a win.

It wasn't even missing Trevor Lawrence either. Remember 2 years ago Clemson blew the doors off ND. In that game Clemson shut down Notre Dame's run game (2.5 yards/carry) and ran for 211 yards in addition to Trevor Lawrence. Tonight, Clemson's QB threw for over 400 yards, but this time Notre Dame had 200 yards rushing and Clemson was barely over a yard a carry. Notre Dame won despite having the clearly worse quarterback. To me, that's better than winning because of a single transcendent player. We looked like we belonged, dominating both lines of scrimmage all night.

And yes, maybe Clemson isn't as good this year, but maybe, this shows that our slow and steady rise under Kelly is continuing to progress. Notre Dame's recent NFL players have been significantly better than past years. The team reliably has a great offensive line and TEs, has had several good WRs and generally productive running backs, and this year the defense has been excellent.

Of course, last time we beat number 1 in South Bend, the next week we lost to Boston College. Who do we play next week again? Oh crap.

And even with this win, this is the path they face to a potential championship:

Beat Clemson again in ACC Champ
    Beat Ohio State or Alabama in CFP semifinal
    Beat the other in the final

So yea... that's fucking brutal. But it feels like they are actually approaching the right level.

- - - Updated - - -

Rankings came out today, ND #2. These are pretty irrelevant though. I think most people would pick Ohio State over ND right now, and that if Alabama had lost a game earlier this year, Ohio State would be #1 and ND still number 2 because of how narrative thinking works.

It's also interesting to me that this is the weakest regular season schedule ND has had in years. Yes they play Clemson, but no one else in the ACC is that good. You can see why they don't want to join a conference, I'm missing the rhythms of a normal ND season - big season opener against a team like Michigan or Georgia, midseason battle against a top 10 team (with Florida State, Georgia, Clemson, Miami, and several others playing the role) then close it out with the big USC game. This year it is: nobody nobody nobody CLEMSON nobody nobody nobody CLEMSON (hopefully).
    Last edited by Scrod; 2020-11-08 at 06:30 AM.

A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Cincinnati and BYU are looking amazing this year, suffering the usual group of 5 problems with no chance of the playoffs, but still. I do really think they need to revisit what the power 5 actually is. The AAC has been consistently stronger then the PAC-12, and all but 1 of the ACC for years now. I am not seriously expecting them to get into the playoffs, but these very strong AAC schools have a consistent problem where major Power 5 players don't really want to schedule them, because they are formidable enough not to be an easy win, but weak enough they aren't a good resume bullet.

This has just been a trend for a long time now, with non-Power 5 schools in the top 10 for most of the season, but the playoff discussion still involving 1 and even 2 loss power 5 schools that are behind them.

In a sort of related note, I am watching with considerable amusement as to how long it will take for Houston to realize it made the absolute worst coaching decision of the decade. They are paying Holgerson one of the highest salaries in all of College football, and he is stringing together one disaster season after another, driving off their best talent, and generally just embarrassing the hell out of them.
    "We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine." DJT- Jan 22, 2020
    "And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done." DJT- Feb 26, 2020
    “It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear.” DJT- Feb 27, 2020

CBS has a bowl projection out with Oregon rounding out the Top 4. Interesting. I'm a huge fan of Oregon and I'm not sure this sits very well, but I'm not going to argue either.

Of more interest, in an article by Nick Shepkowski, arguing that a team with fewer games shouldn't be that high on the list, pushing out Notre Dame, who would have far more games/wins. What I find so hypocritical in this article is that he doesn't mention Alabama, who has only one more game played than Oregon, and is also in the Top 4, ahead of Notre Dame.

From the article:
    The grind of a regular season should matter in determining the four teams who will play in the College Football Playoff. Assuming Palm is right and Notre Dame doesn’t win the ACC Championship (which I don’t think is anywhere near as guaranteed as the masses seem to believe), if it wins the final three regular-season games it will be 11-1 with that one loss coming to a team they had previously beaten.

It would still be four more wins, an entire month’s worth, more than a potential unbeaten Oregon or USC [or Alabama!] had on the year. It would also be three more wins over Power Five opponents than either the Ducks or Trojans [or Tide] would have, assuming one ran the table.

I don’t blame Palm for this, he’s projecting what he thinks happens, not what he’d do.

But, at some point, logic has to kick in for the CFP committee in realizing a team playing that many fewer games simply can’t present anywhere near the same caliber resume as those who have been playing since early September.
    (emphasis added Alabama/Tide inserts added by me)

Just fascinating that he doesn't include Alabama in this discussion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Cincinnati and BYU are looking amazing this year, suffering the usual group of 5 problems with no chance of the playoffs, but still. I do really think they need to revisit what the power 5 actually is.
    I agree about BYU but Cincinnati, while looking good, hasn't really played any tough opponents. BYU has a Heisman candidate this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    The AAC has been consistently stronger then the PAC-12, and all but 1 of the ACC for years now. I am not seriously expecting them to get into the playoffs, but these very strong AAC schools have a consistent problem where major Power 5 players don't really want to schedule them, because they are formidable enough not to be an easy win, but weak enough they aren't a good resume bullet.

This has just been a trend for a long time now, with non-Power 5 schools in the top 10 for most of the season, but the playoff discussion still involving 1 and even 2 loss power 5 schools that are behind them.
    The AAC has been stronger than the Pac-12? How are you even remotely coming to that conclusion?
    Last edited by cubby; 2020-11-23 at 09:22 PM.