Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    and some of the best NFL talant have been form the smaller schools (LT was from TCU, Gallup is from CSU, Mean Joe Greene was from North Texas, etc). This also ends up feeding into itself. The top 4, because they always get into the playoff, end up attracting the best recruits, which ends up making it easier to get into the playoffs, etc. The 4 team setup basically enforces an inherent concentration of wealth at the top. This just adds to perception over reality.

and you never know if they're actually better until you play. Upsets happen to the best, and when you primarily play in conference it eliminates a lot of competition that could knock you out.
    Exactly. It's that negative feedback loop I was referring to. And people just seem to be...fine with it I guess? It's bizarre to me. All efforts to build a system that actually creates good teams and matchups, especially ones we don't see every year, face fierce resistance. Even worst-case scenario, why would you rather see the same 3 or 4 teams beat-up the same 3 or 4 other teams every year in stead of the teams having more variance, especially if it means that we start seeing new blood winning? How is that not better than watching Alabama/OSU/Clemson beat-up OU/ND/etc for the Nth year in a row?

10+ Year Old Account
    We keep seeing this same argument constantly. It's going to continue going nowhere until the obvious happens. Extended playoffs. If it has to be 16 teams, so be it. I don't think it needs to get any bigger than that, but 16 feels like plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    In both cases you’re ignoring resume. Notre Dame beat Clemson earlier this year, and has another win over top 15 North Carolina. TAMU has a win over Florida and getting smoked against Bama.

I’m tired of hearing about undefeated teams from mid major conferences. Listen, if you want to win a championship, play for one of the 5 big conferences. Like 60 teams have a legit shot. The others don’t and that’s fine. They’re in the lower tier.

The TAMU vs. ND discussion boiled down to resume vs. recency. It’s a hard call. But the thing to remember is that neither team can cry foul if they don’t get in - both teams had a shot this year to make an unassailable case and neither did. So I view at more Notre Dame should feel lucky to be in than TAMU should feel slighted in being left out.

- - - Updated - - -

Man I bet a Cincy vs Coastal Carolina or whoever playoff game would get hundreds of viewers!

Those teams need to learn to be happy with undefeated seasons and conference championships. They’re not in the running for the natty and that’s ok - they wouldn’t win it anyway.
    it's not like they can just say oh this year I'm going P5 conference.. Either give the G5 equal credit or break them off as a different tier/championship. No amount of recruiting/coaching is going to get you the best players if there is zero chance of a CFP spot even if you go undefeated.

The simple solution will always be, win your conference you are in, add a few wild cards if needed to make it even.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    From the perspective of the major conferences (and fans) there’s absolutely no reason to do that.

I mean, there’s no reason the big time programs who bring in all the fans and best players would ever be willing to say, sure let’s give 5 if the 16 playoff spots to teams from lower tier conferences. That would result in basically a massive transfer of influence and money from the major conferences to the minor ones.

And from a fan's perspective, do you really want there to be what, 10 conferences full of teams with a shot at winning a championship, with a structure that promotes parity? So that your team wins a championship once every what, 120 years? It's better when there's a smaller number of teams who are actually competitive and can be involved year after year.

of course, the top schools are prob against expanding it due to money, doesn't make it right. As a fan (and Clemson alumni) yes I want a system so all the schools being ranked against each other have a chance to play for the top prize. If not those schools that will never get a chance even after a perfect season need their own league and play-off system.

If the CFP is only going to look at the P5 Schools then the others have no point in being ranked against them and trying, so go form their own system and their own national championship.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey, we have a chance https://twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/s...803883008?s=20

Mac Jones, Trevor Lawrence, Kyle Trask, and DeVonta Smith are the heisman finalists.

They just need an expanded playoff. Anyone that says it can't work or it's too much football need look no further than Division II football where they have been doing it for decades. The only reason it won't work is it doesn't benefit the big teams on top.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Fun finish between Liberty and Coastal Carolina - good indication of why CC didn't deserve to be in the 6 bowls. Good football overall though - fun and weird finish.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    While I believe Notre Dame is going to get their asses handed to them by Alabama, I think Clemson is in for a big surprise. Going to be a tight game.

Florida...what the fuck? What an absolute ass kicking they received at the hands of Oklahoma. I don't give a shit who was out, they were horrific. Did their defense get the game day wrong?

10+ Year Old Account
    Mississippi state has some actual cowards on their team. Kicking a man then running away AND BRAGGING ABOUT IT? That brawl was stupid.

Also, if Bowl Game Tom can exist for mroe than 1 game, that would be great. Bowl game Tom is unstoppable.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Mississippi state has some actual cowards on their team. Kicking a man then running away AND BRAGGING ABOUT IT? That brawl was stupid.

Also, if Bowl Game Tom can exist for mroe than 1 game, that would be great. Bowl game Tom is unstoppable.
    Yeah - that was just silly. Bowl Game Tom?

- - - Updated - - -

Watching the Peach Bowl and getting some New Year's stuff done. Georgia is going to kick the living shit out of Cincinnati.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn, Cincinnati really holding their own - I stand corrected. Making a great case to expand the CFP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Yeah - that was just silly. Bowl Game Tom?

- - - Updated - - -

Watching the Peach Bowl and getting some New Year's stuff done. Georgia is going to kick the living shit out of Cincinnati.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn, Cincinnati really holding their own - I stand corrected. Making a great case to expand the CFP.
    Bowl Game Tom is Tom Herman, who is 4 for 4 in bowl games at Texas lol

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Bowl Game Tom is Tom Herman, who is 4 for 4 in bowl games at Texas lol
    Ah, lol.

Georgia might have won the Peach Bowl but Cincinnati certainly made their claim to a seat at the table. Hope this breaks open the conversation.

Now looking forward to watching Alabama pound the hell out of Notre Dame.

- - - Updated - - -

Holy shit this is going to be a slaughter.

Why is ND in this game? When have they ever proven they can hang? This is stupid and anyone with a brain knows there gonna get the piss kicked out of them.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Why is ND in this game? When have they ever proven they can hang? This is stupid and anyone with a brain knows there gonna get the piss kicked out of them.
    Agreed. They just threw up ND's record in the CFP over the past 20 years. Asses kicked; every - single - time.

This is kinda the problem college football has. It wouldn’t matter who you put against Alabama, they’re going to get the shit beat out of them. Same with Clemson. It’s two teams and everyone else.

Notre Dame isn’t a bad team but this will end up being another CFP failure for them that people point to whenever ND is in the discussion. There isn’t a single team you could slot in at 4 that would be fairing any better.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash Adams View Post
    This is kinda the problem college football has. It wouldn’t matter who you put against Alabama, they’re going to get the shit beat out of them. Same with Clemson. It’s two teams and everyone else.

Notre Dame isn’t a bad team but this will end up being another CFP failure for them that people point to whenever ND is in the discussion. There isn’t a single team you could slot in at 4 that would be fairing any better.
    I agree to a certain extend. Alabama is very good this year - just one close game against FL at the start of the season. I think 'Bama will take the title this year. But irrespective of that, they need to stop putting ND into the CFP - they ALWAYS lose.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah, i think ND should stop getting the benefit of the doubt now, unless they somehow turn this around.

Quote Originally Posted by Smash Adams View Post

Its not about a team having a shot to beat clemson or bama. its about giving a team that deserves a shot over a team that doesnt. ND has SUCKED against actual competition. The only reason they beat clemson this year was because their QB had covid, a QB who is a future #1 overall NFL pick. And even then it was a 1 score game against the backup qb. They got the breaks beat off them in the ACC championship because that #1 overall pick played.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Its not about a team having a shot to beat clemson or bama. its about giving a team that deserves a shot over a team that doesnt. ND has SUCKED against actual competition. The only reason they beat clemson this year was because their QB had covid, a QB who is a future #1 overall NFL pick. And even then it was a 1 score game against the backup qb. They got the breaks beat off them in the ACC championship because that #1 overall pick played.
    It still just blows me away that ND got the #4 birth in the CFP after getting their asses handed to them in the Conf Champ. 'Bama looks pretty unbeatable this year, so yeah, it really doesn't matter who's playing them right now. However, other teams should have gotten that #4 spot.

- - - Updated - - -

Ohio State is really taking it to Clemson. 35-14 at the half. Fields took a tremendous hit to the kidney - anyone else see it? The defensive player got called for targeting - I thought that was only to the helmet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    It still just blows me away that ND got the #4 birth in the CFP after getting their asses handed to them in the Conf Champ. 'Bama looks pretty unbeatable this year, so yeah, it really doesn't matter who's playing them right now. However, other teams should have gotten that #4 spot.

- - - Updated - - -

Ohio State is really taking it to Clemson. 35-14 at the half. Fields took a tremendous hit to the kidney - anyone else see it? The defensive player got called for targeting - I thought that was only to the helmet.
    Targeting can also be called due to leading with the crown of the helmet, no matter what he hits on the other player. Its to prevent defenders potentially paralyzing themselves, or end up like Shazier of the Steelers.