Suggestion: Revisions to the ignore feature.

Honestly shouldn't need Tampermonkey or something to hack this feature in but...

Actually have it when you ignore an account, you actually ignore it. When you ignore the account, the posts don't show up at all, nor do any responses to that account.

Annoying when you look at a thread that has gone for pages so you look into it and just see the usual list of Trolls and Bad Faith posters that are allowed to continue unabated and people dumb or stubborn enough to keep feeding them. It actually makes the thread LESS informative and less engaging that way which is actually what the trolls and bad faith posters are going for.

So I kindly request that ignore actually IGNORES the person and responses to them, as in, you don't even see it at all.

Also the ability to ignore posts from accounts below a certain post threshold or age. So less to deal with burner accounts.

Honestly I wouldn't mind requiring your account be verified with a phone number to prevent much of that.

Also, a slight off topic from the main thing, but actually have people have the ability to check a profile and see their previous names or maybe a setting that prevents you from seeing the name changes and see the original name on the account to prevent trolls and bad faith posters from trolling their way up in post count and then changing their name when their current one gets too toxic and continues on with many who aren't paying attention seeing their post count and giving them fake credibility because of it.

Honestly sucks seeing trolls and bad faith posters allowed to run roughshod over the politics area and the most they ever face is a ban for a few days and then continue on while they just from burner account to burner account while the ban runs up but the legit users actually risk getting in trouble for calling them out. And if they ONLY have a single account and don't do burners, they are the only ones risking anything while the trolls and such risk nothing because they aren't following the rules anyways.

It may be a limitation of the positively archaic forum software MMO Champ runs on. I mean seriously... vbulletin 4 in 2019? It's 10 years old. Version 5 was released in 2012. Hell, vBulletin in 2019, 'nuff said. .

Check my signature. uBlock can easily fix it.

Holy shit, it works! Replace 20 with any number you like. Fine tune your own setting, too. Awesome.
    @Skroe, gonna steal your sig...
    Last edited by Slant; 2019-07-26 at 01:06 AM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Honestly shouldn't need Tampermonkey or something to hack this feature in but...

Actually have it when you ignore an account, you actually ignore it. When you ignore the account, the posts don't show up at all, nor do any responses to that account.

Annoying when you look at a thread that has gone for pages so you look into it and just see the usual list of Trolls and Bad Faith posters that are allowed to continue unabated and people dumb or stubborn enough to keep feeding them. It actually makes the thread LESS informative and less engaging that way which is actually what the trolls and bad faith posters are going for.

So I kindly request that ignore actually IGNORES the person and responses to them, as in, you don't even see it at all.

Also the ability to ignore posts from accounts below a certain post threshold or age. So less to deal with burner accounts.

Honestly I wouldn't mind requiring your account be verified with a phone number to prevent much of that.

Also, a slight off topic from the main thing, but actually have people have the ability to check a profile and see their previous names or maybe a setting that prevents you from seeing the name changes and see the original name on the account to prevent trolls and bad faith posters from trolling their way up in post count and then changing their name when their current one gets too toxic and continues on with many who aren't paying attention seeing their post count and giving them fake credibility because of it.

Honestly sucks seeing trolls and bad faith posters allowed to run roughshod over the politics area and the most they ever face is a ban for a few days and then continue on while they just from burner account to burner account while the ban runs up but the legit users actually risk getting in trouble for calling them out. And if they ONLY have a single account and don't do burners, they are the only ones risking anything while the trolls and such risk nothing because they aren't following the rules anyways.
    I feel people who you ignore should not be allowed to see your post/replies. The people I have put on ignore are people who troll and use racial slurs or just flat out name call, why would I want them to respond to me? I guess it's forum limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    It may be a limitation of the positively archaic forum software MMO Champ runs on. I mean seriously... vbulletin 4 in 2019? It's 10 years old. Version 5 was released in 2012. Hell, vBulletin in 2019, 'nuff said. .

I use Adblock, trying to figure out how to use it there. Might have to switch to Ublock otherwise.

Would rather they actually implement it in the site. Would like to automatically block them and any replies to them as well. Not even see they were made.

Edit, never mind.
    Last edited by Fugus; 2019-07-27 at 01:13 AM.

I use Adblock, trying to figure out how to use it there. Might have to switch to Ublock otherwise.

Would rather they actually implement it in the site. Would like to automatically block them and any replies to them as well. Not even see they were made.
    Ublock is vastly superior to Adblock. Adblock's become a spyware protection racket thing. uBlock is what Adblock used to be, basically.

And they won't implement it on the site. I was actually asked by Thwart in a PM to not encourage people to use it and continuing to do so might constitute spamming. Because I genuinely don't give a fig what that gentleman has to say on this or any topic (and because I mentioned the uBlock thing like 4 times ever outside of my sig), I ignored his plea. Considering that in most cases people are asking for this feature which most forums have, and I am telling them how to do it based on a post somebody else made, I believe he'd be hard pressed to make his case.

Ublock is vastly superior to Adblock. Adblock's become a spyware protection racket thing. uBlock is what Adblock used to be, basically.

And they won't implement it on the site. I was actually asked by Thwart in a PM to not encourage people to use it and continuing to do so might constitute spamming. Because I genuinely don't give a fig what that gentleman has to say on this or any topic, I ignored him. Considering that in most cases people are asking for this feature which most forums have, and I am telling them how to do it based on a post somebody else made, I believe he'd be hard pressed to make his case.
    Thanks, got it working in Adblock, just took a little more work. Will look into Ublock later.

As sad as it is, MMO-Champion is the entire reason I started using Adblock to begin with. Their ads got so bad they would freeze my computer and crash my browser after a while when I was on it.

I can imagine Thwart trying to avoid that, that would kill much of the support on his sides of the issues as they can't keep up with facts.

- - - Updated - - -

Also made a point to copy the text on that incase they try and edit it away.

Still using that UBO filter posted. Works great. Personally I've been wondering if there's anything else I could do with UBO for additional filtering functionality, since it basically just hides or removes things.

@Twoddle or @Skroe Do you have a way to hide posts with certain keywords?

Additionally, what about hiding threads in the topic list with certain keywords?

Low priority ask to be honest, as UBO's cosmetic filtering already works fine to hide the ancient stickies on every board that aren't posted in, so the whole page of topics fits on my screen anyway
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2019-07-27 at 03:32 AM.

Holy cow this actually works. Thanks!

On the one hand I think it's kind of weird to go to great lengths to not communicate with people on a message board, but on the other hand it seems like it might be better for everyone. So like you can post something you believe in but which angers people who feel differently, but instead of a protracted, heated exchange over it, it just gets ignored. So the only replies you get would be people who want to discuss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrExcelion View Post
    Still using that UBO filter posted. Works great. Personally I've been wondering if there's anything else I could do with UBO for additional filtering functionality, since it basically just hides or removes things.

@Twoddle or @Skroe Do you have a way to hide posts with certain keywords?

Additionally, what about hiding threads in the topic list with certain keywords?
    The following seems to work, replace bolded keyword between the \b's with any word or Regex expression. First one hides posts containing keyword in the body of the post, second hides thread titles in the list, third one hides threads where keyword is in the tooltip when you hover ie. first words of the OP.

Code:
    mmo-champion.com#?#li.postcontainer:-abp-has(> div.postdetails > div.postbody > div.postrow > div.content > div > 
    blockquote.postcontent:-abp-contains(/\bkeyword\b/i))
    mmo-champion.com#?#li.threadbit:-abp-has(> div > div.threadinfo > div.inner > h3 > a:-abp-contains(/\bkeyword\b/i))
    mmo-champion.com#?#li.threadbit:-abp-has(> div > div[title~="keyword"])
    Last edited by Twoddle; 2019-07-27 at 03:42 PM. Reason: further refinement

@Skroe thanks man, works great. Honestly never actually had to use the ignore feature till recently. Just tired of dealing with the trolls and bad faith posters allowed to run roughshod over the place.
    @Twoddle I am not sure if it's possible but, any way they can make a script that not only removes any ignored posts but also anyone who responses to those posts?

Would honestly rather open a page that is completely empty and just move on than to go through 5+ pages of people feeding them when they should know better.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Twoddle I am not sure if it's possible but, any way they can make a script that not only removes any ignored posts but also anyone who responses to those posts?
    Anything is possible on the backend of a website but on our side we're currently stuck with writing AdBlocker filters according to rules. Or maybe someone more advanced can figure a way to get ignored users from personal settings and filter on the fly but then you're closer to writing Addons territory.

The following custom Adblock filter will filter out posts where a user is quoted. The downside is you have to maintain it manually to match your ignored users list. It will also filter out entire posts where multiple people are quoted even if just one of them is ignored.

Code:
    mmo-champion.com#?#li.postcontainer:-abp-has(div.quote_container > div.bbcode_postedby >
     strong:-abp-contains(/IgnoredUser1|IgnoredUser2|IgnoredUser3/i))
    Last edited by Twoddle; 2019-07-31 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    I think they should remove the ignore feature. Can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
    I never ignore anyone. I have a built-in ignore feature in my brain, I just have to use it.

I guess it makes sense though if all you want to read is information and opinions that comport with your views, or at least don't challenge them in any serious way. In that case, it's probably annoying to have to scroll past a bunch of posts that don't fit this criteria.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2019-08-01 at 10:18 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I never ignore anyone. I have a built-in ignore feature in my brain, I just have to use it.

I guess it makes sense though if all you want to read is information and opinions that comport with your views, or at least don't challenge them in any serious way. In that case, it's probably annoying to have to scroll past a bunch of posts that don't fit this criteria.
    There's very few people who are actually worth putting on ignore and most of the ones on my ignore list are just people I don't want to get post notifications from when they go full REEEEEEEEEE when I post something that doesn't suit their worldview. Otherwise, I think one of the people who has been on my ignore list for years is now permabanned so there's that.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2019-08-02 at 02:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    There's very people who are actually worth putting on ignore and most of the ones on my ignore list are just people I don't want to get post notifications from when they go full REEEEEEEEEE when I post something that doesn't suit their worldview. Otherwise, I think one of the people who has been on my ignore list for years is now permabanned so there's that.
    I actually wonder sometimes how bloated my notification list would be if not for the fact that I'm sure some people have me on ignore. It's probably better for everyone involved.