Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Why are materials so expensive?

As someone coming back into the game, I noticed mats and potions are insanely expensive. 1,000 gold for a single flask is insane. When you realize a stack is 20k, and a stack of potions is 5k gold. I mean I guess if you have a decent geared alt you can farm for the stuff, but I guess with the removal of gold gaining Order Halls in Legion, to me.. 20k is a lot of gold. And being a more casual player, I'm spending my time usually getting gear and doing the emissary every 3 days and you can maybe make 2-3k in that time and pushing some Mythic+ so that's when I normally use the flasks and potions.

Question is why is this happening? Couldn't blizzard lessen the materials cost to rectify? Or is this how it's going to be with wow tokens and gold selling runs? Or is it just the start of a new raid tier so guilds are buying up mats in bulk? Just curious.

10+ Year Old Account
    New raids usually increase the prices of consumeables.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Because plant supply is much lower than the demand. Spawns for it are annoying lower than KT/Zand herbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

People flip mats and drive prices up, its piss annoying. A leather is not worth 30-100g, it just isnt.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    People flip mats and drive prices up, its piss annoying. A leather is not worth 30-100g, it just isnt.
    Looking at The Undermine Journal for my server, the stack of dredged leather I listed last night for 30k (150g apiece) doesn't appear to be up anymore, so apparently someone decided that it was indeed worth the price. It was a 48h auction, so I don't believe it would have expired.

I guess I'll find out when I get home from work in a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by caballitomalo View Post
    Capitalist greed? XD

Now seriously, when a mew raid is released consumable prices go up. All the raiders are stocking up and demmand is high.

The only surprise, to me, is that being able to fly should have curved that down more. Thats not to say that prices couldnt have been even higher if flying wasnt a available.

Give it time; as more and more people unlock flying and demmand settles a bit. I bet prices will go down in the next few weeks.
    The reason the price hasn't trended down is because almost no one is left playing. There aren't hordes of people out there farming mats.

Quote Originally Posted by kidstechno View Post
    As someone coming back into the game, I noticed mats and potions are insanely expensive. 1,000 gold for a single flask is insane. When you realize a stack is 20k, and a stack of potions is 5k gold. I mean I guess if you have a decent geared alt you can farm for the stuff, but I guess with the removal of gold gaining Order Halls in Legion, to me.. 20k is a lot of gold. And being a more casual player, I'm spending my time usually getting gear and doing the emissary every 3 days and you can maybe make 2-3k in that time and pushing some Mythic+ so that's when I normally use the flasks and potions.

Question is why is this happening? Couldn't blizzard lessen the materials cost to rectify? Or is this how it's going to be with wow tokens and gold selling runs? Or is it just the start of a new raid tier so guilds are buying up mats in bulk? Just curious.
    Material requirements are much higher this expansion then previous recipes.
    If you need 4 times as many mats for a single flask it makes sense the price is 4x as high.

Plus the less players and bots farming the higher prices get.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Kadenzza View Post
    Looking at The Undermine Journal for my server, the stack of dredged leather I listed last night for 30k (150g apiece) doesn't appear to be up anymore, so apparently someone decided that it was indeed worth the price. It was a 48h auction, so I don't believe it would have expired.

I guess I'll find out when I get home from work in a few hours.
    Thats not what I mean dude :P That has nothing to do with ppl flipping mats. Yes stuff sells at 50g cause people buy out all the stock, then re-list. That will happen any day, but its also a scummy move to reset ores, herbs leathers etc. I seen it a lot on LW items in 8.2...Say calcified bones where 42g suddenly on my high pop realm for a few days.

I don't think I'd ever try to reset calcified bone to 42g apiece, and I'm on a low pop server. Blood stained bone sure, since that's actually useful.

Most of my resets tend to buying all the cheap stuff that's currently a warfront resources quest, and stacking it in the amount needed for the quest at a severely inflated price.

Yeah I don't really get the high prices. I don't know about everyone else, but professions seem to serve the needs of literally no one outside of I guess progression raiders who are willing to grind the mats to make the 410/420 pieces and can get those mats quickly enough for that gear to be relevant.

I mean, even the catch up gear you can make is pointless now. I liked churning out a set of gear for fresh 120 alts, but benthic pieces are superior in every way.

OK somebody explain why legacy mats are so damn high !

Quote Originally Posted by JDL49 View Post
    Supply and demand. I sell a lot of leathers (Heavy version, aka Heavy Knothide leather), ppl are to lazy to post it themselfs.

But it also depends on your realm. My high pop its good to do it...through a lot worse since blizzard ruined mats deposit price So annoying even when you post 20 at a time it cost a lot.

Mats are more annoying to obtain this time around, potions and flasks require more mats per 1 and anchor weed isn't always great to farm.

I don't really raid anymore but I never use relevant pots/flasks anymore, I'd rather sell them when they go for such crazy prices.

Quote Originally Posted by JDL49 View Post
    Supply and demand. I sell a lot of leathers (Heavy version, aka Heavy Knothide leather), ppl are to lazy to post it themselfs.

But it also depends on your realm. My high pop its good to do it...through a lot worse since blizzard ruined mats deposit price So annoying even when you post 20 at a time it cost a lot.
    The big picture of it has a simple explanation: When I playing "hard-core WoW economy" I had set up TSM (dunno if you still use that, no longer subbed) which made playing the market so automatic, it was laughable. e.g. I could buy a month of play time with only a couple of days work, literally, for a couple of hours a day max.

Now, that sounds "simple" and if you know how to use those addons to have the delusion "everyone can use that though". But here's the catch, don't underestimate the capacity of the very casual or juvenile person to never figure out that stuff in time.

Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    The big picture of it has a simple explanation: When I playing "hard-core WoW economy" I had set up TSM (dunno if you still use that, no longer subbed) which made playing the market so automatic, it was laughable. e.g. I could buy a month of play time with only a couple of days work, literally, for a couple of hours a day max.

Now, that sounds "simple" and if you know how to use those addons to have the delusion "everyone can use that though". But here's the catch, don't underestimate the capacity of the very casual or juvenile person to never figure out that stuff in time.
    Dont need buzz-words addons like TSM or undermine journal at all. I've made over 10 million in BFA on my casual AH play just with Auctionator. Never understood why people even like that addon...Its a bloated mess. I need to be in control of my listings, don't want anything automated, that just makes for stupid under-cuts and wrong prices...I see it all the time with other ppl under-cutting me, and prolly their stupid addon acts up. Best is when you post some crap tier item for cheap and its sniped...lol, bravo, you sat on your ass for 4 hours on the AH hoping for human mistakes while I spent 1 hour today re-listing/undercutting being 10 times more efficent.

Im a big addon guy in wow with over 100 of them, but TSM and that crap....noooo.

Dont need buzz-words addons like TSM or undermine journal at all. I've made over 10 million in BFA on my casual AH play just with Auctionator. Never understood why people even like that addon...Its a bloated mess. I need to be in control of my listings, don't want anything automated, that just makes for stupid under-cuts and wrong prices...I see it all the time with other ppl under-cutting me, and prolly their stupid addon acts up. Best is when you post some crap tier item for cheap and its sniped...lol, bravo, you sat on your ass for 4 hours on the AH hoping for human mistakes while I spent 1 hour today re-listing/undercutting being 10 times more efficent.

Im a big addon guy in wow with over 100 of them, but TSM and that crap....noooo.
    I used it a shit ton in Legion specifically for the advanced search function. Really streamlined my searching and buying process. Other than that, fuck it. The 4 version is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    I could buy a month of play time with only a couple of days work, literally, for a couple of hours a day max.
    If making gold by spreadsheet gameplay is your kind of fun more power to you. But I hope you didn't put in "a couple hours for a couple days" to save €13

Everything is expensive because the economy is still massively inflated from free mission table gold in WoD and Legion. It's getting better, but slowly. You can see this by charting WoW token prices. Back in WoD they started at 30 and ended at 50k, in Legion they ended up at 200k with truly massive inflation, and now in BFA they're at 100k.

https://wowtokenprices.com/extended-history

The price cratered when BFA launched and all the free gold ended. It's really clear in the charts.

Back in WoD I was making around 25-30k/day, and by the end of Legion I was consistently over 50k/day.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2019-08-13 at 02:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    If making gold by spreadsheet gameplay is your kind of fun more power to you. But I hope you didn't put in "a couple hours for a couple days" to save €13
    Keep believing that is what AH players do ^^ Also most AH players dont just buy the token to play for free, they spend a lot more gold.

I litterally just re-log, re-post items, and re-craft items few times a week.

I think everyone hit the right point. Supply vs demand. Economics do carry over this this amazing game.