Thread: [TV] Euphoria

15+ Year Old Account

[TV] Euphoria

So I saw the trailer for this new HBO show called Euphoria. It stars Zendaya as a high school drug addict who just got out of rehab after a near death OD. The HBO website describes it as this: Following a group of high school students as they navigate love and friendships in a world of drugs, sex, trauma and social media, the series will be executive produced by Drake, along with manager Future the Prince. Euphoria is an American adaptation of an Israeli show of the same name, and all episodes are written by Sam Levinson (Assassination Nation), who also serves as executive producer. The series will be produced in partnership with A24 (Lady Bird, Random Acts of Flyness, 2 Dope Queens, Pod Save America) and includes executive producers Ravi Nandan, Kevin Turen, Hadas Mozes Lichtenstein, Tmira Yardeni, Mirit Toovi, Yoram Mokadi and Gary Lennon. Ron Leshem and Daphna Levin, who created the Israeli series, are also set to executive produce.

I've only got a chance to start watching it this past week on Hulu (gotta love having the HBO addon for that) and I have to admit this is one damn good show. This is a huge change of direction for Zendaya into more adult roles. For those who don't know who she is, she is a former Disney star who was on a couple different TV series on Disney and starred in a few movies they made too. In Euphoria, she plays a strung out drug addict struggling to live her day to day life. I'll admit, for a show that airs on TV normally there is A LOT of drug use, male nudity, questioning of sexuality & gender stereotypes, and sex going on in this series. I really hope this show sticks around for a while and I can't wait to see how this season ends. The season finale is set to air Aug 3rd. Earlier this month HBO announced it was picked up for a second season. For those interested, new episodes of Euphoria premiere Sunday at 10 p.m.

Have any of you seen this and if so what do you think about it?

Yeah, she starred in a couple of Disney Movies
    Like Spider-Man: Homecoming and Spider-Man: Far from Home.

It's not a show that airs on "TV Normally"...it's a show that airs on HBO...none of those things you mentioned are uncommon in HBO shows.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Yeah, she starred in a couple of Disney Movies
    Like Spider-Man: Homecoming and Spider-Man: Far from Home.

It's not a show that airs on "TV Normally"...it's a show that airs on HBO...none of those things you mentioned are uncommon in HBO shows.
    If you've seen the show, you'd know how much full male nudity Euphoria shows. There was a scene with one of the chicks camming with a guy online who was masturbating. You could see him masturbating the entire time and it showed his erect penis for long periods of time. Euphoria doesn't just show quick glimpses of dick. It shows it for substantial periods of time.

Saw the first episode. Thought it was shit I didn't even bother googling it to find out who the big titted chick was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    If you've seen the show, you'd know how much full male nudity Euphoria shows. There was a scene with one of the chicks camming with a guy online who was masturbating. You could see him masturbating the entire time and it showed his erect penis for long periods of time. Euphoria doesn't just show quick glimpses of dick. It shows it for substantial periods of time.
    Wow, nudity, such sophistication, much plot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

And again....it's HBO...not Network Television...HBO has never had an issue with showing off dongs.

Go watch OZ.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

I know a few websites on the internet you may enjoy if that is what you call entertainment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    And again....it's HBO...not Network Television...HBO has never had an issue with showing off dongs.

Go watch OZ.
    I don't know. Erect dicks is a new thing, even for HBO.

Back on topic. I've heard good things about the show. I'm just not interested in another story about high school kids dealing with life's problems.

The show might scratch an itch for people have never seen the various lifestyles in the show or someone in the age demo of the characters. It's more of the same old same old through a modern lens and solid actress.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I don't know. Erect dicks is a new thing, even for HBO.
    Maybe....but the point is it's not network television. If someone just said "This show has erect dicks" my first thought would be "Must be HBO."

THe comment I was responding to was:

I'll admit, for a show that airs on TV normally there is A LOT of drug use, male nudity, questioning of sexuality & gender stereotypes, and sex going on in this series.
    None of that is unusual on HBO.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2019-07-29 at 04:01 AM.

I watched the first episode. I liked it, but I think I may be too far removed from high school to be really hooked by it.

One line in particular kind of bothered me. Zendaya was narrating (as she did throughout the first episode, I assume this is the norm for the series), and talking about a classmate's nudes who got leaked. The line was, "Before you judge her, stop. It's 2019, and nudes are the currency of love. Don't blame us for that."

Which is......nonsensical. You choose what to hold value in. Currency is literally something that is valued at something more than its actual material cost. Just like we choose to have faith in the federal reserve that a piece of paper is actually worth $1 or $5 or $20, etc, you would have to choose to have value in nudes for them to have value. It's just something I can't get. I grew up in that generation that hit puberty before the internet was widespread, but was definitely a teenager during the early internet boom, and I just can't fathom thinking it's something other than a cultural choice to take nudes. Sounds like not wanting to take personal accountability.

I imagine these disconnects are going to be pretty common for me, if I keep watching.

Also, seeing McSteamy's erect dick as he prepared to have anal sex with a(n of-age actress portraying a) underage teen in episode 1 was not something I was expecting. Although I imagine in that scene there was a little movie magic happening, cause that lighting was pretty lol.

So I watched the rest of this first season since it's over now for the year.

Again, beautifully shot and directed.

A few things:

1) Am I supposed to like the character of Jules? She seems like a villain of sorts, to me. Maybe because I like Rue (Zendaya's character), it seemed like Jules was more sinister than I think the writers intended her to be. I legit think that the writers think she's great, this other half of a great love story with Rue, but she's kinda......well, an awful person. If that's the intention, for Rue to fall in love with this awful person but pass it off as a great modern love story, then kudos, but I think it may be unintentional.

2) This series does something I seriously dislike. All the drama and conflict comes to a head at the second to last episode (episode 7), and then the season finale did nothing to resolve ANY of them. I can understand wanting cliffhangers, but then you put them in ep8, not 7. Episode 8 almost seemed like a side story where the characters were acting like episode 7 didn't even happen. And then the season ends, and you're wondering - wait, what happened with x, y, and z in episode 7?

I'm debating whether I should watch it. It's HBO so by default I'm interested, and it looks pretty edgy and dark which I'm into. But on the other hand it looks like a show blatantly focused on pulling in a new generation of teenagers. Idk, not sold on it yet.

This show is fantastically accurate for the 14-28 year old age group growing up.

Maybe a little extra but accurate nonetheless. I have coworkers watching this and they were skeptical on the accuracy and I echoed the realism and a lot of the things portrayed in this scenario are real. Nate may not be really accurate as I have never seen or heard anyone deal with this personally but who knows.
    Last edited by Byuiso; 2019-08-08 at 10:57 PM.

Nate was a pretty 2 dimensional villain imo. I don't believe for a second his "nice" moments.

Zendaya won an Emmy last night for her portrayal of Rue in this show. Kind of a surprise she won it, she was up against some stiff competition, and I don't know anyone over the age of 25 who has talked much about this show. Then again, these forums tend to be fairly niche in what y'all like.

Like I've said previously, beautifully shot and directed and acted. As an older millennial (39 this year), the subject matter made me feel for kids of this generation, and not in a particularly good way, but maybe it reflects the younger millennial and Zoomer mindset more and connect with it more wholeheartedly. I can still appreciate it, though. It should be watched.

This show's second season has been insane. Still haunting and beautiful.

Still feel disconnected from it as a 40 year old milennial. But I guess it connected enough for me to watch s2. The first 10 minutes of s2 legit gave me heart palpitations and I don't have anxiety or panic attacks.

I mean, I did drugs and had sex in high school, but the 90s seemed to be different, man, because we didn't get all dramatic about it. We also didn't have phones to document it all, I guess.