Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

I thought flying would be glorious

I've really enjoyed the marketboard, crafting and single player aspect of the game. The story is really bland, if it were a movie on IMDB, I would give it maybe a 5.

I actually enjoyed ARR more than Heavensward overall, because at least ARR didn't have flying. I'm considering abandoning the game because I can't get over the fact that every single flying mount has a misty particle effect behind it, such that I can't really enjoy the view if I'm on the move. It's so distracting and annoying that I decided to make a post on MMO-C about it.

As far as I know, it's not possible to remove this effect, but maybe one of you could tell me if there's actually a flying mount that doesn't have it?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by satella View Post
    The story is really bland
    Prepare yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Thanks for your input.

Prepare yourself.
    There was a question in there, but I guess you didn't read everything.

I read it and ya, honestly, go ahead and quit.

I have 23 mounts (not a lot, I know) and 0 of them have sparkly effects following them.

Also Shadowbringers has one of the best stories so far.

Just go ahead and quit if particle effect on some mounts when flying bothers you so much. And if it bothers you so much just don't fly. I can't imagine you being able to enjoy ANYTHING with the nitpicking in this post.

You just have to "walk" while flying, it's connected to movement-speed.

You'll roughly be as fast as moving normally without a mount.

Quote Originally Posted by babalou1 View Post
    I read it and ya, honestly, go ahead and quit.

I have 23 mounts (not a lot, I know) and 0 of them have sparkly effects following them.

Also Shadowbringers has one of the best stories so far.
    Survivor bias. In order to play Shadowbringers, you have to have enjoyed the story of the other expansions enough to not quit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Just go ahead and quit if particle effect on some mounts when flying bothers you so much. And if it bothers you so much just don't fly. I can't imagine you being able to enjoy ANYTHING with the nitpicking in this post.
    I realize you have an emotional attachment to this game and this must be an attack on you personally, just calm down an breathe.

I do enjoy your reaction though.

Your chocobo doesn't have an effect. The magitek armor doesn't. The mana cutter does not. The black chocobo doesn't. The dragon mount you get from the Heavensward story doesn't. Those are the ones you should have if you have made it through Heavensward story.

You should definitely quit, and probably delete your MMO C account as well just for good measure.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

As far as I know, it's not possible to remove this effect, but maybe one of you could tell me if there's actually a flying mount that doesn't have it?
    Would you care to tell us which mounts you have and how you managed to only acquire ones with particle effects?

15+ Year Old Account
    OP, it seems like you dislike flying in general more so that particle effect problem. (which is also suspicious, as any mounts a newbie would have shouldn't have particle effects).

Flying is by no means a core part of this game, and has far less impact on gameplay than in WoW. I struggle to understand your dislike of it.
    Here is something to believe in!

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Would you care to tell us which mounts you have and how you managed to only acquire ones with particle effects?
    There is a particle effect behind flying mounts that simulates the condensation of water when it hits something at high speed.

If you haven't noticed it, you will now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark One View Post
    OP, it seems like you dislike flying in general more so that particle effect problem. (which is also suspicious, as any mounts a newbie would have shouldn't have particle effects).

Flying is by no means a core part of this game, and has far less impact on gameplay than in WoW. I struggle to understand your dislike of it.
    The OP is clearly trolling based on the rest of the replies he has given. He does not like FFXIV and wants to disagree and argue with people who do. Shadowbringers is by far one of the best stories told in an MMO and Stormblood was not far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark One View Post

You're the third person, that I know of so far in this thread, that doesn't seem to understand that water condensation (mist) is considered a particle effect. Or you three just haven't noticed it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CerealLord View Post
    The OP is clearly trolling based on the rest of the replies he has given. He does not like FFXIV and wants to disagree and argue with people who do. Shadowbringers is by far one of the best stories told in an MMO and Stormblood was not far behind.
    Anyone who disagrees with me is trolling. I guess you must be trolling then?

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a particle effect behind flying mounts that simulates the condensation of water when it hits something at high speed.

If you haven't noticed it, you will now.
    Thanks you cruel, cruel man.

Anyone who disagrees with me is trolling. I guess you must be trolling then?
    Let me apologize. I just logged in to see what you were talking about and I can see the effect. It is like there is a wind effect coming off your character to simulate "soaring through the wind" and to show that you are going fast. I honestly never actually noticed it before. I can see how that would be annoying. I flew in all 3 expacs and Heavensward was definitely the worst just because of the colors. Stormblood being orange helped a little bit. I did attempt to turn it off and there are no settings for it. I tried lowest graphics and it was still there

I also tried all of my mounts and they all have it, so I do not believe anything does not do it. Again, sorry for the snap reaction

Quote Originally Posted by Ihsatakar View Post
    Thanks you cruel, cruel man.
    I realize now that this thread was a mistake, my super human ability to detect visual abnormalities in video games has corrupted the sweet and supple minds of innocent bystanders.

Forgive me, but I'm gonna have to go all out, just this once *puts on sunglasses, tips fedora, ruffles his trenchcoat and brandishes a massive katana that has been hidden beneath his coat*

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CerealLord View Post
    Let me apologize. I just logged in to see what you were talking about and I can see the effect. It is like there is a wind effect coming off your character to simulate "soaring through the wind" and to show that you are going fast. I honestly never actually noticed it before. I can see how that would be annoying. I flew in all 3 expacs and Heavensward was definitely the worst just because of the colors. Stormblood being orange helped a little bit. I did attempt to turn it off and there are no settings for it. I tried lowest graphics and it was still there

I also tried all of my mounts and they all have it, so I do not believe anything does not do it. Again, sorry for the snap reaction
    *Lowers the Katana, which appears to be glowing* I forgive you!!!

The thing with FFXIV is that the first 60 levels are kind of crap. I was so close to giving up at the start of stormblood. I saw some more fillers and thought this wasn't gonna get any better. At a friends regard i kept soldiering on just cause i had bought shadowbringers and i wanted to at least reach it before giving up.

I honestly couldn't get what people saw in the game. And then i arrived at the Azim steppe and everything changed. Amazing music, interesting story, classes started delivering on their potencial. The slow start made more sense and the story's pace finally reached an acceptable rythm. After that, i couldn't stop playing. I fell in love with the game. The story does get a lot better with Stormblood and the primal encounters are amazing. Some of the most amazing fights i played.

I don't know what this effect in flying that bothers you is. I only see this wind effect. It doesn't bother me. Flying feels fine to me.
    The graphics did also feel bad to me, and i think it was cause of the ps3 holding it back. The azim steppe and the last zone The lochs look really good. No high res or anything, but view distance and special effects at night are much better. The music just keeps getting better and better too. I recommend turning off mount music and combat music in the overworld, it's way more imersive.

I only just started shadowbringers and i already see that it's delivering on Stormblood level, probably better.

So, i'll tell you what my friend did to me. Keep going. It's annoying that the game is so effin boring for so long, but Stormblood onwards it really turns around and becomes incredibly enjoyable.
    I'd like to hear your thoughts once you finish Stormblood. I got another friend that quit at lvl62 no matter what i said, he just ignored me, and i feel really sorry for that cause i was in that same train but continuing on allowed me to see where the game gets really enjoyable. I feel sorry cause he was so close to the turning point for me and if he kept going he could have found the same game i did.

It's like a long marathon you have to run before getting to the prize. It utterly sucks, but the prize is there at the end.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2019-07-28 at 11:57 PM.

Holy shit there's a lot of butthurt in this thread. You guys are whinier than the WoW community, good God.

15+ Year Old Account
    You're the third person, that I know of so far in this thread, that doesn't seem to understand that water condensation (mist) is considered a particle effect. Or you three just haven't noticed it.
    Oh, you're talking about the wind?

Sucks to be you if that low level of very minor particle affect annoys you :P
    Here is something to believe in!