Thread: 72 hour fasting

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

72 hour fasting

I've read that a 72 hour fast has significant health benefits as it's effectively a body reset, but I haven't tried it myself. Has anybody tried this? How did you feel afterward?

Eat healthy. Exercise. All you need to do imo. Extreme dieting isn't worth it.

No, starving yourself for 72 hours is not going to """reset""" your body, stop listening to "alternative medicine" quacks.

Literally all you need to do is eat healthier, drink plenty of water and exercise a decent amount every day.

Quote Originally Posted by BananaHandsB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    No, starving yourself for 72 hours is not going to """reset""" your body, stop listening to "alternative medicine" quacks.

Literally all you need to do is eat healthier, drink plenty of water and exercise a decent amount every day.
    It's not about keeping fit or losing weight, but more about the other health benefits of fasting, like going through autophagy and improving inflammation, stress, ketosis, metabolism, insulin sensitivity and everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    It's not about keeping fit or losing weight, but more about the other health benefits of fasting, like going through autophagy and improving inflammation, stress, ketosis, metabolism, insulin sensitivity and everything else.

You memeing or?

If you have inflammation of the bowel then something you're eating is causing it, possibly just too much acidity in food. If you have an auto-immune disease that causes long-term inflammation then consult a professional dietician instead of just reading about fasting on the internet.

There are numerous methods to de-stress. Fasting ain't a good one.

Long term fasting, especially literally not eating fucks your metabolism because your body stops being certain when the next meal is coming and stores fat.

Autophagy is just the process of using more calories than you consume - i.e weight loss and easily achieved through diet and exercise. You're confusing fasting with starvation. According to WHO guidelines the body enters starvation-mode when you consume less than 1300-1700 calories a day based on what daily activity takes vs what you consume. Low-calories days achieve this.

If you're desperate to do some fasting then do something like the 5-2 diet, 5 regular days and 2 non-consecutive days of 500 calories consumption. 500 calories can go quite far so make sure it's 2-3 decent portioned low-cal meals well spaced out so it doesn't confuse your body.

10+ Year Old Account
    a body reset
    Since that isn't a thing, I'm gonna go with "this is a terrible idea".
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Lots of bro-science here. Nothing wrong with 72 hour fast as long as you drink plenty of water. Next thing those mmo-champ scientists will tell you even intermittent fasting is bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

15+ Year Old Account
    I just had 72 hour fasting before an operation. Fucks your stomach up. A combination of pain, constipation and diarrhea - with the hunger and energy starvation on top of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Please don't use words you don't understand to explain concepts you don't grasp about a topic you know nothing about. You think it makes you sound smarter. It doesn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of those things is more or less your body going into various modes of "Im going to die, better start doing stuff to not die"
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I wouldn't go beyond intermittent fasting for any other than a medical reason. There's no reason to deprive your body of fuel if you take care of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually read this again and ... IMPROVING inflammation and stress? That seems bad. Autophagy is another one of those "We have no clue how this actually works but we sure as hell can sell a pill for it!" It's useful research but not well understood to any real useful degree. You know what also causes autophagy? Exercise.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by BananaHandsB View Post
    This is the only response to the majority of health based questions.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Fasting for 72 hours is a bit extreme. Even intermittent fasting doesn't actually have much science to back up some of its claims. The thing I found about intermittent fasting is that it's actually fairly hard to eat a full day's calories in 6 hours or whatever. Don't do these special diets, just exericse self-control.

Just do this.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are many documented 30 day fasting tests supervised by doctors, but you need have something to lose (fat). Slim person may not respond to fasting the same way obese person will. Outside of certain medical conditions fasting isn't going to damage average person.
    Also, what does exercising have to do with diet? Nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

Just make sure you drink plenty of water and you'll be fine if it's like a one-off thing.

However 72-hour fasts are completely unsustainable and attempting to keep up with doing them even up to I'd say once a month is probably a sign of an eating disorder and you should seek medical help.

No, its not a thing, unless you are unable to think at a basic level.

Unless this is for some spiritual reason I probably wouldn't recommend it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have done this, mostly because of self-loathe and lack of interest of preparing something to eat, and... it is not good, you are going to have a really bad second day, why? cause the moment you try to consume ANYTHING, you're most likely going to barf, and by consume anything... i mean anything, including water, so yeah... after this prepare yourself to barf a couple of times and feel like shit.

Where the hell did you read that?