Thread: 72 hour fasting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caballitomalo View Post
    The times the subject of inflamation comes what I usually get is that fasting (and working out for that matter) improve it, meaning it lowers inflamation.
    No, this means inflammation lowers during that time for -a- reason. Not necessarily because of fasting. It could be that you're cutting out something that your body doesn't like, not because of fasting. It could be a lot of things. Thats why a lot of people self-treat thinking X thing is great when it's really some other convenient thing that is only marginally related.

Fasting is a tool among many and some love and others hate it but no one needs to be forced into it.
    I'd hardly call it a 'tool'. It's more a thing people do that gets wildly mixed results, depending on what echo chamber you happen to be standing near at the time.

As always, the main things that basically always work.. Talk to a doctor, eat healthy, exercise. People are always trying to get around that with other means. Keto has worked wonders for me... Mainly because I generally ate like crap and never get outside.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    I've read that a 72 hour fast has significant health benefits as it's effectively a body reset, but I haven't tried it myself. Has anybody tried this? How did you feel afterward?
    Also if you press your left temple and your bellybutton your take a printscreen of yourself.

I've read that a 72 hour fast has significant health benefits as it's effectively a body reset, but I haven't tried it myself. Has anybody tried this? How did you feel afterward?
    The only "reset" that anyone really needs to worry about is insulin. Especially if you've been doing the older diet of many small meals throughout the day. But you don't need 72 hours for that, more like 12 to 16. IF is more than enough if you keep eating to a 8 hour period during the day, leaving the majority of fasting for sleep periods

Yeah, WHO isnt the most reliable source as far as dietary guidelines goes. They still recommend refine grains and also claim that meat causes cancer.

Nutrition is a profoundly difficult subject with many contradicting notions. So I do agree that you must be carefull before doing anything extreme, including fasting.

The best we can all do is become better educated on it and dont simply trust institutions like WHO. I know is a daunting task but it is possible to learn enough to actually make informed choices on ones own. (just dont do facebook research pls).
    I kind of trust the WHO and charities who work to prevent mass-starvation in conflict zones about the minimum calories consumption tbh. Listing things that cause cancer simply isn't an exact science, especially since you could say anything remotely acidic and at risk of causing acid reflux increases chance of esophagus cancer etc.

But yeah, obviously don't blindly trust the WHO, don't blindly trust the World Bank who funds dam constructions that displace people or the organizations that pushed for deforestation for coffee and palm oil plantations that then flooded the market and crippled investors economies etc.

- - - Updated - - -

The times the subject of inflamation comes what I usually get is that fasting (and working out for that matter) improve it, meaning it lowers inflamation.

This boils down to less joint pain, better digestion and less auto immune issues.
    Does OP HAVE an auto-immune disease of inflammation in your digestive track? If no, then it isn't going to improve because of fasting because they don't have it.

If fasting stops it, then it's because something in their diet is causing it and they need to find out what. If you have such problems you need to start a food diary while marking pains, crams and bowel habits. Either start a bland diet and reintroduce things or start cutting things one at a time. You will find things like fatty red meat, chocolate and citrus fruits among the worst offenders. Although OP hasn't responded so this might just all be shit-tier bait. Who knows my dude.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Doctors requiring a 48 or even 72 hour fast before a surgery is common. And lots/most religions have fasting rituals. So it's not dangerous if you stay hydrated. On the other hand it's not a miracle cure either. It will mostly just "reset" your gut/intestines. The western diet is so awful that it probably isn't a bad idea to do that once in a while. Or just eat ruffage (leafy veggies) to stay regular as my grandmother used to say.

Once a month I do a 24hr fast. I drink water the entire day. I'll drink a 1/2 sugar Gatorade once during the day if I'm at work due to my work requiring steady hands. Give it a shot at 24 hours and work up to 72.

There is a lot of research (scientific and anecdotal) within seconds of google that shows longer fasts (such as 72 hours) for a person who isn't underweight can be highly beneficial towards your health. A lot of the advice around the more extreme fasts though (example a week +) are usually advised to be supervised by medical professionals.

Either way expect the usual medical experts who haven't done any research on the topic to tell you that you're stupid/wrong and then give their own unqualified advice. If you want advice or discussion about fasting or health in general MMO champion is probably not the place to look for it.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2019-07-31 at 03:43 AM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    Doctors requiring a 48 or even 72 hour fast before a surgery is common.
    You are aware of why this is done, right? And its never 72 hours. It's usually 8.
    What freaking procedure warrants a 72 hour fast? Hell, not even a Whipple (Pancreaticoduodenectomy).

All the people here using fancy words like ketosis probably don't even know what a ketone body is

- - - Updated - - -

body reset
    Can you elaborate on what you mean with "body reset"?

I must have skipped that class in med school... silly me
    Last edited by Ragnarohk; 2019-07-31 at 03:51 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Short fasts are fine unless you have some obvious and serious health complication. Also, don't be stupid when fasting. Your body is going to be weak after the first day. Don't exert yourself. Don't go helping someone move furniture or even for a jog while fasting, especially when going over 24 hours. The biggest exertion you should be making on a fast that goes over 24 hours is going to the bathroom or walking to the kitchen. Anything past that is being dumb.

72 hours would qualify as 'short-ish', but I wouldn't go beyond that without consulting professionals. I knew a person who did 21-day fasts every few months, but she was extremely careful with the whole thing (in very extreme ways, she had water and a bathroom within a few steps of her bed and had her computer set up so she could lay on her bed and do things without moving anything but her hands) and talked with people about it. She also had some... uh... weird beliefs so I wouldn't use her as a role model in this... or in anything.

In my opinion, the health benefits are mostly overstated. I think it's a useful way to lose weight if you've tried and failed at other methods. When you take in little or no calories, the body is forced to burn fat even without exercise. It's really that simple. Obviously you lose a lot of weight in water too, and you'll gain that back. You won't gain back as much fat as you burnt though, as long as you exercise the slightest amount of restraint in eating in the following days (don't eat two days worth of calories the day you stop fasting).

On a personal note, I've also noticed that I'm just less hungry in general after fasting a few times (24 hour fasts). I used to eat like 6 pieces of pizza when I bought a pizza. Now I feel full after 4. Same pizza, same place, so the only reasonable explanation is that the different thing is me.
    Last edited by Simca; 2019-07-31 at 04:37 AM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

It's not about keeping fit or losing weight, but more about the other health benefits of fasting, like going through autophagy and improving inflammation, stress, ketosis, metabolism, insulin sensitivity and everything else.
    "inflammation"? I'm sorry but what? Don't belive all the crap you read online. If you have some form of inflammation (look up what this actually is, please) then you sure as heck need food. There is a reason why your blood sugar level will skyrocket during inflammation and for that, you need to eat. Not doing so will most likely make the inflammation worse.

Also, the term "stress" is used how here? Would you feel less stressed by not eating? How? It's not really a medical term unless you're talking about a force acting on say a bone or the like. Feeling "stressed" has very few negative health effects even though a lot of people seem to belive it does. In any case, if you want to feel less "stressed" you'd be better of taking some vacation than not eating.

I could go on but my flight leaves in a few. Ask your doctor befor you get the idea to use some stupid diet and he'll tell you what any sane person will do: Eat enough, eat the right things, workout everyday, get enough rest and DON'T fall for every stupid idea some self proclaimed health guru posts online.

Probably depends on your goal. While it doesn't sound healthy long term, if you're just trying to detox or see the effects short term, why not.

Body reset of what?

Has anyone done 72 hours fasting here? I haven't seen anyone being able to do that unless you go on hunger strike

A body reset? what? Your body is not a computer mate.