Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I think Classic will see a lot of variation because beyond the stable population that it will certainly have, many people from BfA and beyond will be switching to Classic during content droughts. I'm unsure if this is bad or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    No its not. You won't have 100 gold from selling questing trash. Just skill leveling for one spec burns most of what you make.
    If you are buying all of your skills, this statement is correct. But there are skills that provide very little or next to nothing in terms of helping you level and you SHOULD be skipping on purchasing. For an example, the elemental resist totems (fire, frost you name it) and flametongue totem (no one used it) are stuff im skipping. In the beta I was just short 6 gold upon hitting 40 leveling bout 95% solo (other 5% from a few dungeon quests and a few SM graveyard chest farms).
    Last edited by Multitorix Davlen; 2019-08-02 at 09:59 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Beta was alive and kicking until the majority hit the 30 cap. After a week or two of people at 30 cap, a lot of people started to drop off. A week or so after the cap was raised to 40, the game was basically empty.

I think that there will be a lot who stay once things become permanent, but even with there being only 2 servers on the beta for them to be empty at peak evening hours is kind of alarming.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    The age group we're talking about, people who were in highschool in 2004, and people now who are in their low 30's. Generally, I think it's safe to assume that the teenagers had more free time to play an MMO.

Do you disagree?
    What makes you think only people that played Vanilla is interested in Classic? Are you saying todays kids won't play Classic?

3 Months
    People will buy the 3 month game time, play hardcore for a month, and the remaining 2 will be spent half assing the gameplay, until it runs out.
    What will remain is retail gamers playing on occasion, and the hardcore classic players

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    Classic will lose approx 40% of it's players in 3 months. But the 60% that stay will still outnumber those playing BfA.
    This is a good prediction. I'd like the OLD model of MMO to show tremendous uptake as a signal to blizzard (and other devs) that their design patterns are broken. But realistically, the mobile generation of gamers will not have the same discipline/focus we had back in 2004-2009.

BFA's 8.2 patch... the best content they've had this expansion, has already had a huge dropoff. I pity my guild as people have already unsubbed (those not interested in Classic) and at least 1/3 of us are migrating to Classic and starting over come September.

I'll probably stick around and try to sub weekly raid spots where needed (heals always needed), but the dailies/azerite grind are such garbage if I start to lag behind I'll just quit retail altogether.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MiiiMiii View Post
    What makes you think only people that played Vanilla is interested in Classic? Are you saying todays kids won't play Classic?
    Tipsout "Why Classic" video showed that at least 1/3 of the people playing classic on private servers were people too young to have experienced it.

Given how many people are discovering Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Fallout 3 / New Vegas, etc every day... I think a good game will always attract new fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Riptor View Post
    So obviously classic will launch with a lot of people playing it and trying it out but how big do you think the amount of people that will quit will be and when do you think a lot of people will stop (Either in terms of level or time?)

I'm a large fan of classic but let's be real here a large amount of people who play classic will stop and I am curious to know what your thoughts are?
    I would expect a surge of about 4 million players at start, 1 million being current players. 3/4 of the current players will stop playing Classic within a month because they actually prefer the hand holding / ease of the current game. The remaining 1/4 will potentially play a bit of both Classic and Retail.

Of the remaining 3 million, I expect about 1/2 to leave within 2 months for a wide variety of reasons. I expect the remaining 1.5 million or so to actually stay long term.

Which will put Blizz at a bit of conundrum as Classic will actually have about as many consistent players as the BfA average (so actually more playing Classic than BfA by spring).

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    ^^

I guess if people didnt play this game back in the 06-10 days they had no idea how big it was, it was as big as fortnite on a cultural scale....everyone knew what it was.
    - Blizzard had to stop selling copies to catch up with server demand
    - queues could be 2+ hours during prime time to login
    - other developers complained about the World of Warcraft 'vacuum' -- no one was buying other games, since they were playing WoW 7 days a week.
    - ISPs started advertising their latency in terms of World of Warcraft performance, since everyone was upgrading from dial up to broadband explicitly for WoW.
    - early youtube got a huge boost by people uploading raid videos and instructional tips, as previous alternatives were awful

WoW was a cultural force unlikey any video game before. Minecraft and Fortnight are really the only comparables; League of Legends/MOBAs are huge but mostly gamer related and not into popular culture.

Immortal
    Classic will lose approx 40% of it's players in 3 months.
    That really depends on how many decide to try Classic. The bigger the participation, the greater the initial dropoff. If everyone playing BfA tries out Classic I'd expect 80% dropoff by 3 months. If only half the BfA playerbase tries out Classic, maybe only 50%. If less than a third of BfA players tries out classic, probably only 30-40% dropoff.

I expect that by about 3 months the drop off rate will have stabilised somewhat and you can expect 20-30% dropoff (of what remains) every 3 months. After a year it will probably taper off to 10% every 3 months.

But the 60% that stay will still outnumber those playing BfA.
    I very much doubt that. It's one thing to talk a big game before climbing into the ring, it's another to actually measure up. And honestly, usually the more one needs to talk themselves up, the harder they're likely to fall.

I think the tourists will drop out very quickly. I'd say anyone who makes level 20+ has a high chance of sticking around.

Quote Originally Posted by Natrii View Post
    Honestly I think it will draw some actual new players. There is this odd invisible barrier of entry to start a game when it is 7 xpacs down the road. New people will see it starting fresh.
    I don't expect many new players to join and stay. One of the guys I know from RL who started with WoW recently, complained a lot about the outdated graphics in TBC areas like the BE / Draenei starting zones. Classic will look just as old to many people. There will be a hype, people will take a look, and then leave.

In comparison to Diablo I with its even older graphics, you have at least 2 things speaking for Diablo: Replayability due to random dungeon layouts, and no hassle with things like group play, idiotically spread out quest paths, etc. You start the game, you do what you want to do - kill things and loot stuff.

The only thing which works for WoW is nostalgia. If the community turns out to be good - this is a point to debate. It's not like Vanilla did not have its share of toxic people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I think Classic will see a lot of variation because beyond the stable population that it will certainly have, many people from BfA and beyond will be switching to Classic during content droughts. I'm unsure if this is bad or not.
    If these people would have been unsubbed, it does not matter. If they would have been playing alts, then it would be a negative effect on the retail game.
    This is the reason why I don't think that getting Classic was a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by scubi666stacy View Post
    If these people would have been unsubbed, it does not matter. If they would have been playing alts, then it would be a negative effect on the retail game.
    This is the reason why I don't think that getting Classic was a good idea.
    I mean if people instead of dropping their sub play Classic until the next patch that's a big win for Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Also, I think alot of people will just mess around in classic when retail is in a content drought. A perfect place to have some fun in the same universe.
    That's unlikely. It goes against the very core of RPG genre: constant improvement of your character (or, in WoW, account). Those players are much more likely to level another alt, concentrate on another game side (PvP, pets, etc), work on some collectibles. Now if Classic would be connected to the ordinary WoW account with achievements, shared mounts, etc, that would be a completely different story. But with separated games: nope.

Quote Originally Posted by MiiiMiii View Post
    I fully expect today's kids to try Classic, find out what it is really like and leave never to come back.

Gaming has moved on. Classic is a relic of the past.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Kanadei View Post
    This.

I doubt there will be a big drop, more likely to be a constant influx of players dipping their toes in every so often for luls
    This there will be the hard-cores reliving what they loved and a larger portion playing every so often when they're bored with retail like myself.

I imagine around 200k people will play. Supposedly Nostalrius had a 150k players, I think Classic WoW will have more than that due to it being free with retail sub, and not needing to go through hoops to set up and play.

Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    That's unlikely. It goes against the very core of RPG genre
    As if that will somehow stop players from logging on and doing shit.

Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    Now if Classic would be connected to the ordinary WoW account with achievements, shared mounts, etc, that would be a completely different story.
    #NOCHANGES

Achievements ruined WoW.

This predictions are insane. Months till the drop?

PoE/D3 seasonal players play 1 week maybe 2.
    As for the hyped up classic release - with many non-MMO players or burned out casual-retail players, it would be a world first for sure if people played 3-4 weeks at once, in a genre they don't play, with time commitment they don't have or want.

Grind MMO's are no joke for time commitment and players usually get it in a few days of playing. Hype or not, 2005 Vanilla WoW's major selling point was it casual friendliness at that time and Classic 2019 is for sure not more casual friendly than BfA or what ever other MMO right now you want to play.

Hardcore games failed every time and WoW's major success was its casual roots.

This subforum will give us a lot of entertainment after the first 2-4 weeks of release, thats my prediction.
    hidden information WoWArmory | Raider.IO | WoWProg | logs Logs1 | Logs2 | Logs3

Even tho I'm a classic hater, I still hope that it DOESN'T drop for a long time. Nobody needs to see guilds falling apart after a month like Retail..

Hopefully the bonds are much stronger in classic, but all in all: I hope we get some love in retail after people are maxed out and playing for years ;D <3