Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I suspect about half of those that try it on week one will be gone in a couple months. Each content patch might see a little bump and fall. The biggest fall off will likely be around the AQ40 patch because a TON of people are nostalgic for MC, ZG, and BWL and after that one the difficulty curve goes up a bit more (cannot drag as many dead weighters though and win all day every day).

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's likely that there will be significant dropoff whenever a new patch launches on retail, with people gradually trickling back into classic as they run out of stuff to do, and a major surge back every time new content opens up in Classic.

So the two games will keep trading players back and forth, at least the more dedicated ones.

For Blizzard it's perfect. Maximum "Player engagement" and other marketing lingo.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    I think it's likely that there will be significant dropoff whenever a new patch launches on retail, with people gradually trickling back into classic as they run out of stuff to do, and a major surge back every time new content opens up in Classic.

So the two games will keep trading players back and forth, at least the more dedicated ones.

For Blizzard it's perfect. Maximum "Player engagement" and other marketing lingo.
    I wouldn't doubt they are timed pretty damn nicely for that as well..

Kind like this new 8.2 patch came out... the raid released a couple weeks later... then like.. a month after that Classic releases.

No doubt they will use it to try to stim sub fall off. I am almost willing to bet that is what finally sold it to the nothing but money matters people that are counting the coins. Even if its only a couple percent it would probably be worth it.

There will be a big dropoff when all the tourists leave. Hopefully layering will cause servers to have enough people left after the tourists are gone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I think it will draw some actual new players. There is this odd invisible barrier of entry to start a game when it is 7 xpacs down the road. New people will see it starting fresh.

The moment it takes more than 30 minutes to collect 10 bear asses I'm out.

Classic will surge at first and dropoff hard afterwards, max 300k maybe more like 150k

I'll be bullish and say 1-2 million resubs, with 20% remaining after 6 months.

10+ Year Old Account
    I reckon people will start to drop off around the lvl 20 range. That's when it starts to get extra tedious

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    Classic will lose approx 40% of it's players in 3 months. But the 60% that stay will still outnumber those playing BfA.
    I think that's a rather optimistic view. I just can't see classic having more players than retail.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    I think that's a rather optimistic view. I just can't see classic having more players than retail.
    BFA crowd is tiny in comparison to the millions upon millions that miss how the game used to be, the question is how many decide to come back.

I'm expecting about a 90% drop-off in the first month or two and about 90% of those remaining to quit within 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodykiller86 View Post
    Classic will surge at first and dropoff hard afterwards, max 300k maybe more like 150k
    First week will have WAYYYYYY more than that, i'd bet my life savings on it.

20% of people won't hit level 20.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    BFA crowd is tiny in comparison to the millions upon millions that miss how the game used to be, the question is how many decide to come back.
    Yet the game peaked at WotLK. If it were a WotLK server I might agree. Saying that Classic will overtake retail is nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    Yet the game peaked at WotLK. If it were a WotLK server I might agree. Saying that Classic will overtake retail is nonsense.
    Do you think wrath was closer to classic gameplay or bfa...

It being free with retail sub will help huge drop off, but a lot of people might stop playing it after they realize what a grind it is, myself included I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    It being free with retail sub will help huge drop off, but a lot of people might stop playing it after they realize what a grind it is, myself included I imagine.
    I dont get this line of thinking, the grind in BFA is much less rewarding than classic yet people still play. In classic not only do you have the carrot on a stick mechanics of new spells/abilities/talents while you level you also have the chance of getting a BoE epic that could pay for your mount and then some.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Do you think wrath was closer to classic gameplay or bfa...
    Probably BfA, but in reality, it's also far removed from retail. Just by sheer numbers, WotLK was the iteration that people liked the best. WotLK was the golden age of WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    Probably BfA, but in reality, it's also far removed from retail. Just by sheer numbers, WotLK was the iteration that people liked the best. WotLK was the golden age of WoW
    What lol? Wrath was basically classic up until the end patch where they introduced group finder.

There is a huge amount of people that miss the old style gameplay of the original trilogy, again the question of how popular it becomes depends wholly on how many people get the itch to return.