1. #41021
    Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    I guess that is true, though they are biased, whether that is a positive or not.

    There is however the bigger problem if there not being much of a point in making Streamers specifically test an Alpha when you could have an in-house Q&A. Consider for a moment the logistics of it.

    Streamers do work by playing games for an audience. The NDA would preclude them from doing it as part of their work. So Blizzard is in essence asking a group of random people to playtest their game and do the work of a regular Q&A for free.
    The only tangible benefit is that being public faces it is easier to single out and punish the streamers who leak stuff.
    Let’s say I am a big streamer

    I get the alpha with NDA

    I let blizz know that X feature is great and give suggestions for Y feature

    Benefit of that over in house QA is
    1. Being in front of thousands allows me to get a feel for how players would react (azerite gear)
    2. The in house team is more for making sure it works not making sure ppl like it.

    I mean you don’t ever get a real good measure of what players really want but if you take the top people who are entertaining the players and who players care about the opinions of... you get a decent measuring stick.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    If you are a streamer get into alpha/beta/testing and you go off whining about bugs and such. If you truly mean it, I expect you to report those bugs. Otherwise IMO you are just yelling in bad faith. This isn't so much an accusation but...more of to clear bad actors.
    If you are a streamer and you find a bug

    You and a decent amount of your audience will say something

  2. #41022
    Maybe we will see the shadowlands after the hype died?
    Quote Originally Posted by Samin View Post
    What if the big baddie is the friends we made along the way?

  3. #41023
    Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    Let’s say I am a big streamer

    I get the alpha with NDA

    I let blizz know that X feature is great and give suggestions for Y feature

    Benefit of that over in house QA is
    1. Being in front of thousands allows me to get a feel for how players would react (azerite gear)
    2. The in house team is more for making sure it works not making sure ppl like it.

    I mean you don’t ever get a real good measure of what players really want but if you take the top people who are entertaining the players and who players care about the opinions of... you get a decent measuring stick.

    - - - Updated - - -



    If you are a streamer and you find a bug

    You and a decent amount of your audience will say something
    That is still Blizzard asking what is for all intents and purposes random people to do the work of a Q&A team for free on their own time, seeing as the NDA means they cannot show it off to their streaming audience.
    There is also no guarantee that just because you stream means you have a good grasp on how to give constructive feedback or come up with ideas, and if they did you might as well just take it from somewhere else that doesnt require makign someone sign an NDA.

    All in all it just sounds like quite a bit of faff for little to no obvious gain.

    Now if the idea is the streamers get access to Alpha a day or two before it goes public so they can prepare a showcase for when they can actually stream it then i can see the reason why you would do it. But otherwise i don't see what you actually gain from it beyond validating people on forums over why some streamers claim to have insider knowledge.

  4. #41024
    Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    Let’s say I am a big streamer

    I get the alpha with NDA

    I let blizz know that X feature is great and give suggestions for Y feature

    Benefit of that over in house QA is
    1. Being in front of thousands allows me to get a feel for how players would react (azerite gear)
    2. The in house team is more for making sure it works not making sure ppl like it.

    I mean you don’t ever get a real good measure of what players really want but if you take the top people who are entertaining the players and who players care about the opinions of... you get a decent measuring stick.
    Ehhhh...

    1. Isn't very accurate, because those thousands of viewers are notoriously dumb sheep. You aren't getting a feel for how "players" would react, you're getting a feel for how that one streamer individually reacts to a thing and then the viewers just parrot whatever their mood is.
    2. Is also not true. In-house QA tests for both issues and also general playability/enjoyment.

    Streamers don't give a good measure of what players really want, nor does their entertainment factor, or having viewers who care what they think, give you a good measuring stick. See LFR, something touted as the ultimate evil by many streamers yet clearly a crucial system that represents a big activity for a huge majority of the players.

  5. #41025
    There is also the fact that streamers are biased. Not necessarily in that they want ot see it fail or whatever, but they have a vested interested in sensationalism and views. Which could mean you get loads of feedback on what is fun to do, or you could get hours of rants on why Blizzard is terrible and you should boycott immediately.

  6. #41026
    Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    1. Being in front of thousands allows me to get a feel for how players would react (azerite gear)
    Streamers with thousand of viewers intentionally overhype and skew things in whichever direction the chat is leading them. You could not find a worse measurement than streamer feedback ON stream.

  7. #41027
    The Insane Chickat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Orgrimmar
    Posts
    17,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcinatoss View Post
    This is what kills the hype for me every single expansion, just to have absolute silence until alpha/beta.

    Why not release some previews of zones, or show of some more features from the covenants etc etc..
    Because generally the last patch is fresh until alpha it guess.

  8. #41028
    Im surprised blizzard dont do small little press realises of information like other companies, like art from a dunegonor something. Its basically just a series of flood gates at blizzcon and public QA phase.

    Ive not really followed all that many expasion launchs before. Is this thier usual MO?

  9. #41029
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderZebra View Post
    Im surprised blizzard dont do small little press realises of information like other companies, like art from a dunegonor something. Its basically just a series of flood gates at blizzcon and public QA phase.

    Ive not really followed all that many expasion launchs before. Is this thier usual MO?
    Previously, alpha just... happened. One day, all of the sudden, everyone goes wild.

  10. #41030
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    Previously, alpha just... happened. One day, all of the sudden, everyone goes wild.
    I wonder why they dont do smaller trailers or snippets etc. Ah well one day soon should be exciting then!

  11. #41031
    Void Lord Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    40,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    Previously, alpha just... happened. One day, all of the sudden, everyone goes wild.
    And usually a pandemic wasn't happening :P
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance

    Warrior-Magi at your service! My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeluron

  12. #41032
    Bloodsail Admiral the bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    im not a druid
    Posts
    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    And usually a pandemic wasn't happening :P
    one more post until 40k. dewit

  13. #41033
    Herald of the Titans Valysar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Underworld
    Posts
    2,599
    What do we say to the god of Alpha ?

    https://cdn.dnaindia.com/sites/defau...1/818794-2.jpg

  14. #41034
    Merely a Setback Queen of Hamsters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The one and only, Evolving Azeroth! (and Sweden)
    Posts
    26,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Valysar View Post
    What do we say to the god of Alpha ?

    https://cdn.dnaindia.com/sites/defau...1/818794-2.jpg
    And we say it again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and...????!!... Nope, false alarm, so again... and again, and again...

    T.T
    Liberté, égalité, fraternité
    ⭑・゚゚・*:༅。.。༅:*゚:*:✼✿ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚ ゚・⭑
    Banner pending.
    Can you magine being born an allergic to birch-pollen in the City of Birches? Because I can...

  15. #41035
    Beauty of streaming Alpha Beta is you have thousands of reinforced eyes watching your every move. So if you miss something, someone will see it and people will induce in mindless spam. Which is what we want. Guilds on Alpha like mine and Slootbag and Bajheeras etc have reported bugs for years. And people in our guilds actually mostly get reinvites. cause they report too.

    Not sure what streamers you all are watching. Maybe you're watching Asmongold climb a mountain for 2 hours and then not play for 2 months? Maybe you're watching a variety stream er who got access for being famous then logged in got 2 levels and never played WoW again. There are lots of genuine streamers who report bugs. Feedback is different. That is a streamer by streamer basis.
    http://twitch.tv/towelliee TowelRapaport #WoWsheet

  16. #41036
    Quote Originally Posted by towelliee View Post
    Beauty of streaming Alpha Beta is you have thousands of reinforced eyes watching your every move. So if you miss something, someone will see it and people will induce in mindless spam. Which is what we want. Guilds on Alpha like mine and Slootbag and Bajheeras etc have reported bugs for years. And people in our guilds actually mostly get reinvites. cause they report too.

    Not sure what streamers you all are watching. Maybe you're watching Asmongold climb a mountain for 2 hours and then not play for 2 months? Maybe you're watching a variety stream er who got access for being famous then logged in got 2 levels and never played WoW again. There are lots of genuine streamers who report bugs. Feedback is different. That is a streamer by streamer basis.
    interesting set of words. did someone start flaming streamers for no reason
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

  17. #41037
    Bloodsail Admiral the bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    im not a druid
    Posts
    1,149
    some streamers have vowed to provide more feedback this testing cycle and to stream the alpha more regularly. hopefully they act on their promise, because streamers can be great engines of change.

  18. #41038
    Merely a Setback Queen of Hamsters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The one and only, Evolving Azeroth! (and Sweden)
    Posts
    26,131
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    interesting set of words. did someone start flaming streamers for no reason
    Some posters earlier on the page made the argument that streamers are not a good idea for Alpha access because of their attitudes and the attitude of their viewers.

    But streamers are not a monolith, nor are their fans.
    Liberté, égalité, fraternité
    ⭑・゚゚・*:༅。.。༅:*゚:*:✼✿ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚ ゚・⭑
    Banner pending.
    Can you magine being born an allergic to birch-pollen in the City of Birches? Because I can...

  19. #41039
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    Streamers with thousand of viewers intentionally overhype and skew things in whichever direction the chat is leading them. You could not find a worse measurement than streamer feedback ON stream.
    The NDA alpha wouldn’t be on stream

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Ehhhh...

    1. Isn't very accurate, because those thousands of viewers are notoriously dumb sheep. You aren't getting a feel for how "players" would react, you're getting a feel for how that one streamer individually reacts to a thing and then the viewers just parrot whatever their mood is.
    2. Is also not true. In-house QA tests for both issues and also general playability/enjoyment.

    Streamers don't give a good measure of what players really want, nor does their entertainment factor, or having viewers who care what they think, give you a good measuring stick. See LFR, something touted as the ultimate evil by many streamers yet clearly a crucial system that represents a big activity for a huge majority of the players.
    1. I’ve seen a few streamers actually interact with the audience and have actual conversations

    2. The QA team sucks this expansion in both terms of making sure stuff works and making sure it would be fun with most changes from legion to BFA launch as an example.

  20. #41040
    Void Lord Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    40,622
    Cause someone somewhere decided "Meh Support staff doesn't matter"
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance

    Warrior-Magi at your service! My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeluron

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •