1. #67721
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    So it appears that HD Stormwind textures have appeared in 9.0.5. https://twitter.com/MrGMYT/status/1359278843530461187







    Few more images on his twitter. They dont seem that high res but those might be low res images of high res textures. So we looking at just a Stormwind Revamp, or more clues of a world revamp?
    Ohhhhhhhh?

  2. #67722
    The Insane Chickat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Orgrimmar
    Posts
    17,952
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Ohhhhhhhh?
    Yeah it was from Twitter but 2 months ago. We shall see if anything happens with that this week. Its pretty obvious to me that they are working on HD updates to at least parts of or certain zones. Im hopeful that its a total world Update, but it may just be a few zones here and there.

  3. #67723
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Yeah it was from Twitter but 2 months ago. We shall see if anything happens with that this week. Its pretty obvious to me that they are working on HD updates to at least parts of or certain zones. Im hopeful that its a total world Update, but it may just be a few zones here and there.
    Maybe it's just the finale of Shadowlands. Something happening in Stormwind and with Anduin being an antagonist now, this makes sense. I hope it indicates a world revamp, but I rather expect it for a scenario or raid.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

  4. #67724
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Yeah it was from Twitter but 2 months ago. We shall see if anything happens with that this week. Its pretty obvious to me that they are working on HD updates to at least parts of or certain zones. Im hopeful that its a total world Update, but it may just be a few zones here and there.
    That seems a little wishful thinking from what we know. It could easily be for a boss fight similar to how Yogg-Saron had us "visit" different places when in the brain. Since we know Anduin will be a major focus of the story and it is similar to Arthas I personally set my expectations low at a small area rather then a zone/world revamp.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  5. #67725
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchpotato2013 View Post
    I swear don’t remind me of the need to do all quests in all zones for both sides for all 4 armor types. I got ally cloth done and most of plate, but dread needing to do the rest if there is an impending cata zone revamp making us lose all prior quests.
    They wouldn't do another Cata and just 'erase' existing zones. You'll be able to timewalk into the Cata-era zones for quests etc., or to level in them via Chromie Time - in fact, this feature may have a direct cause and effect relation to a world revamp, in whichever direction.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

  6. #67726
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    They wouldn't do another Cata and just 'erase' existing zones. You'll be able to timewalk into the Cata-era zones for quests etc., or to level in them via Chromie Time - in fact, this feature may have a direct cause and effect relation to a world revamp, in whichever direction.
    Chromie Time doesn't bring back Vanilla quests so your point is somewhat invalid. It could go either way. From what I recall, short of being in the capital cities for intro quests, Chromie Time doesn't actually change anything in a location, but simply give you breadcrumbs to go there usually. Once you've started them if you leave and go to another time and go back it really doesn't require her. I start WoD first a lot and then go do Legion intros once I get bored or to get up to flying. I don't need to go back to Chromie to interact with WoD as when I go back there I'm still scaling with the zone and everything is the same as I left it. She has no reset a specific questing area to another time, but rather just set you to scale with it and really not specifically in that manner. It's more it sets the zones to scale with you. If you can show me an example of let's say an area in Badlands being changed by choosing TBC or MoP you can convince me, but as it stands, Chromie time doesn't seem to actually change the quests in the zones for the most part. There might be some max level quests in specific zones you WON'T see, but you still wouldn't have anyway.

    I would go as far as to say the ONLY reason you need her is to do things like change the city layouts like the Legion intro has all the npcs on the way or the weird interaction with the portals for BC and WoD.
    Last edited by ohwell; 2021-04-12 at 10:24 PM.

  7. #67727
    Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    Chromie Time doesn't bring back Vanilla quests [...]
    Yeah because those are gone gone, except in the data of Classic, which isn't anywhere close to being compatible to Retail. Vanilla stuff might get added in later (requiring effort to port over) or is deliberately not re-added to preserve the exclusiveness of unavailable rewards (meh)
    Either way, Classic exists to relive that gameplay.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

  8. #67728
    Fluffy Parrot Marlamin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    4,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Yeah it was from Twitter but 2 months ago. We shall see if anything happens with that this week. Its pretty obvious to me that they are working on HD updates to at least parts of or certain zones. Im hopeful that its a total world Update, but it may just be a few zones here and there.
    Those textures aren't actually related to a "HD revamp". One is a level of detail texture used for long distance rendering which get updated every time a model changes (they converted some of the old lighting Stormwind had to new Shadowlands stuff, not a sign of a revamp, the same was done to Legion Dalaran). The leaf texture is from the Wandering Ancient mount.

  9. #67729
    Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    Chromie Time doesn't bring back Vanilla quests so your point is somewhat invalid.
    That is only because Chromie time didn't exist back then. We know they can keep "copies" of old zones with Zidormi. So there is no reason why any new world revamp can't be kept as "main time line" with the past able to be accessed through Chromie Time. They already force truly new players into BfA so world content is already skipped. There is no reason to think they will permanently remove zones even from past expansions given how systems work now.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  10. #67730
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    Yeah because those are gone gone, except in the data of Classic, which isn't anywhere close to being compatible to Retail. Vanilla stuff might get added in later (requiring effort to port over) or is deliberately not re-added to preserve the exclusiveness of unavailable rewards (meh)
    Either way, Classic exists to relive that gameplay.
    I would wish they brought those back for retail. Loved getting loremaster/seeker in wrath. Actually really like questing overall and part of me would prefer just to do them all over playing current content (at least now, not 8.2/8.3 when I was going after rank 4 essences).

  11. #67731
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    That is only because Chromie time didn't exist back then. We know they can keep "copies" of old zones with Zidormi. So there is no reason why any new world revamp can't be kept as "main time line" with the past able to be accessed through Chromie Time. They already force truly new players into BfA so world content is already skipped. There is no reason to think they will permanently remove zones even from past expansions given how systems work now.
    Hence my initial statement is it could go either way. Having to Zidormi every zone is something they can choose to do, but Chromie time is not Zidormi EXCEPT for in capital cities for intros.

  12. #67732
    Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    Hence my initial statement is it could go either way. Having to Zidormi every zone is something they can choose to do, but Chromie time is not Zidormi EXCEPT for in capital cities for intros.
    But we know it won't go either way. There is no "World content" to keep up to date for the default experience since that default experience only includes BfA. Everything else is Chromie Time and you don't update the options for the past for new content. You just create that new content. Like they did for BfA when they did zone revamps that didn't include the quests and stuff but had new content.

    When you level through Chromie time you don't get the BfA Arathi, Darkshore, or Uldum for example. Chromie time exists solely so they don't have to erase past content and you level in the story of that past content.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2021-04-12 at 11:31 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  13. #67733
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    But we know it won't go either way. There is no "World content" to keep up to date for the default experience since that default experience only includes BfA. Everything else is Chromie Time and you don't update the options for the past for new content. You just create that new content. Like they did for BfA when they did zone revamps that didn't include the quests and stuff but had new content.

    When you level through Chromie time you don't get the BfA Arathi, Darkshore, or Uldum for example. Chromie time exists solely so they don't have to erase past content and you level in the story of that past content.
    That's because BFA isn't old enough much less Uldum is phased when you're in BFA naturally until you reach that point. You're not talking Chromie time stuff still as you're still talking Zidormi based things. Darkshore and Arathhi might be the ONLY case that Chromie alters something that Zidormi would. Otherwise I will reiterate: Chromie Time is not expansion specific typically except for the intro quests. You can do WoD then go to her to choose Legion once you have set up your garrison and then you don't have to go back to her to "go back to" WoD as you can just literally go there and proceed as normal. Nearly everything Chromie does is simply "make the old content scale".
    Last edited by ohwell; 2021-04-13 at 12:04 AM.

  14. #67734
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    Yeah because those are gone gone, except in the data of Classic, which isn't anywhere close to being compatible to Retail. Vanilla stuff might get added in later (requiring effort to port over) or is deliberately not re-added to preserve the exclusiveness of unavailable rewards (meh)
    Either way, Classic exists to relive that gameplay.
    The art assets for the old zones should be perfectly compatible with modern wow. Classic runs on modern wow infrastructure after all.

    Classic mobs that didn't get carried forward after cata and beyond would requiring reworking to use the new scaling tech, assuming Blizz would want them to scale.

    I don't see any reason why classic quests couldn't be re-added. I can't imagine that the back end of the quest system has changed drastically, and the quests themselves still exist in the database. I know that for a fact because I still have a friend who still has old vanilla quests in his quest log that he refuses to get rid of from the AQ opening event. He shares them sometimes in BG's and Dungeons just to fuck with people lol.

    Classic Dungeons/Raids might require the most work since how their specific events/mobs handle things on classic may differ notably from how they are handled now, but it shouldn't be that difficult to do. On the other hand, since classic was rebuilt to run on the modern infrastructure, they might work out of the box if ported to retail.

    While it would require some investment of time and resources, I suspect that it wouldn't take all that much to port classic Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor to retail, especially since the bulk of the work making vanilla content and assets work with modern wow infrastructure was already done with classic. Blizz could then slap a Keepers of Time NPC in the Caverns of Time to transition players into those old versions of the continents (complete with no flying). Since there's already a portal to CoT from the capitals, even a new lvl 1 character could go there and levelup in the classic content with modern mechanics/QoL.

    What would probably be far too messy to do, would be to try and phase the classic world into the post cata world. Too many things changed for that to realistically work (such as boat and zeppelin locations, flight paths, npc placement, etc). But having the old continents and all their classic content as isolated instances should be possible without anywhere near as much effort as people might think. The art assets already exist and work within the modern wow infrastructure. Mobs might take some time due to scaling changes, or Blizzard could even opt to leave these classic ports as non-scaling. Quests might be port-able as is, or may require rebuilding if quest handling has changed significantly. Dungeons/Raid mobs would probably require some amount of work for their AI's and event handling. Items would require no work at all since every item from classic still exists in retail (even if they are unobtainable now).
    Last edited by Kyriani; 2021-04-14 at 10:19 PM.

  15. #67735
    Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    That's because BFA isn't old enough much less Uldum is phased when you're in BFA naturally until you reach that point. You're not talking Chromie time stuff still as you're still talking Zidormi based things. Darkshore and Arathhi might be the ONLY case that Chromie alters something that Zidormi would. Otherwise I will reiterate: Chromie Time is not expansion specific typically except for the intro quests. You can do WoD then go to her to choose Legion once you have set up your garrison and then you don't have to go back to her to "go back to" WoD as you can just literally go there and proceed as normal. Nearly everything Chromie does is simply "make the old content scale".
    It has nothing to do with the age of BfA. BfA content is designed with those zones to be phased so they are naturally phased. But for Cataclysm they are not phased because Blizzard didn't re-make the zones when they updated their world state in BfA. They created a new phase. Technology that they did employ on a large scale back in Cataclysm even if they had Zidormi for a few zones.

    There is no reason to do a full world revamp though because of Chromie time. Each time they want to direct people to the modern experience they just change which expansion is the default for leveling while putting the old ones into Chromie time. Yes Chromie time isn't expansion specific but it is designed to allow you to level in the entire expansion if you want to. You can also skip around at any point.

    A Cataclysm style revamp of previous expansions content would break Chromie Time and defeat the entire purpose of it. That is why Blizzard would just create new phases that are the default for the new expansion.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  16. #67736
    The Insane Chickat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Orgrimmar
    Posts
    17,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlamin View Post
    Those textures aren't actually related to a "HD revamp". One is a level of detail texture used for long distance rendering which get updated every time a model changes (they converted some of the old lighting Stormwind had to new Shadowlands stuff, not a sign of a revamp, the same was done to Legion Dalaran). The leaf texture is from the Wandering Ancient mount.
    Well thats a bummer.

  17. #67737
    Fluffy Parrot Marlamin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    4,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Well thats a bummer.
    Doesn't mean it is not happening, just that those aren't signs of it. Keep the hope.

  18. #67738
    Do we have any updates on a potential 9.1 PTR yet? Or nah?

  19. #67739
    Elemental Lord Lahis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    8,311
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Do we have any updates on a potential 9.1 PTR yet? Or nah?
    Soon™

    "Soon" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon" shall make no contract or warranty between Blizzard Entertainment and the end user. "Soon" will arrive some day, Blizzard does guarantee that "soon" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "soon" as Blizzard will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "soon."

  20. #67740

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •