Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I am really curious how this is going to work out.

I've played on private servers where everyone is dedicating their time to the vanilla experience.

In Classic there will be a far greater spread of player level and gear progression as many people see it as a side project next to their "standard work" in retail. This can have advantages, there will be probably always groups for lower level dungeons around..and also the lvl 60 dungeon scene will be more crowded I guess.

I do wonder how this will affect PvP ranking, there will be more players doing "some" PvP (as they need to also do their weekly stuff on retail), making the climb for dedicated PvP players in classic easier as there are more players participating?

Well, actually I think people that see classic as a side-project will most likely never see lvl 60...and even if they do so they will find out that dedicated classic players will outgear them by a mile and lose the "fun" in the game quickly. But, everyone should do what they like. If you like to level in classic and just do it for the experience, reach a max of lvl 42, no problem!

10+ Year Old Account
    I really only play retail to do dungeons with my friends and they can find me in bnet easy enough so I can switch when they're ready to group.
    /s

quite easily. I'll raid on my 2-3 nights, then on the weekend check out Classic for some bit. One I get my fill of nostalgia, I'll uninstall Classic and continue retail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    I don't enjoy what retail has turned into but can spend so many hours in Classic, I won't be playing both.
    BFA made me give a private realm a serious try and it proved to me that no, it's not nostalgia, it's what the game has become through so, so many snowballed design-decisions. I am no longer the target demographic for retail. I want to climb from a to z, I don't want to insta-win through a-y in two afternoons just to farm z.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    That's a fun tool. But, 3 hours a WEEK? That's around 25 minutes a day...

- - - Updated - - -

Same with me.
    Really big changes comming up next month in my life. I think I can reserve 3 hours every sunday for wow. Won't have time to play any other day. Atleast for a few years.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    In my case, I'm currently unsubscribed and will be resubscribing for Classic. It's my understanding that one subscription will cover both Classic and BfA as long as you have both games (which I will, as I bought BfA on launch and played a couple of months before unsubscribing).

My plan is for Classic to be my "main" version of WoW. But since my sub will cover both, no reason not to log in and dick around every once in a while with BfA. I mean, I'll probably log in to check out new content and stuff. But I'll hardly be juggling both games. I intend to play Classic far more than I play BfA.

edit: the calculator thing guessed that I'll hit 60 around mid-February 2020. I feel like it's not going to take me that long. My time to play per week tends to vary. It mentioned "warrior is a slow leveling class" as one of the factors for that guess, but I've mained a warrior since 2005. I'm not saying that makes me a top 10% warrior player in the world or anything (not by any stretch), but I do like to think I know how to efficiently play the class and will be far quicker at leveling with one than this calculator thinks.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-08-01 at 05:53 PM.

I resubbed to wow recently and spend less than an hour online now not because i dont have anything to do, its because i have too much to do and really dont have the motivation to do it, and on top of that it feels like an anti social sp game but with classic i feel i can devote more time, and make more friends along the way to make the grind less boring.

I won't play retail. Haven't for months, I've really lost all interest in the story at this point. Were I to play both, though, I'd probably stay current with retail and play through all the story content on one toon before switching to classic for the remainder of my play time for the month.
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    me: wow, why am I tired and feel like shit?
    body: coffee is not a meal, drink some water
    body: eat a vegetable.
    body: sleep
    me: I guess we'll never know
    body: oh my god.

MMOs require a lot of time investment and I'm not going to split my time between classic and retail. I still like some aspects of BfA but my plan is to go all in with classic and see how it feels. If it turns out "I thought I did but I didn't" I'll quit and play BfA on and off until the next expansion.

I will log in to modern retail for my weekly +10 and maybe push Keystone master if my friends are around and just mainly play classic with my grind time. Right now in retail I mainly just herb and make gold in that time which I will just completely fill with classic. If I'm liking classic and fall in with a good guild, I may stop playing modern retail all together until the next expansion. It really just depends on the social aspect of it. I enjoy playing wow to play with and help my friends and guildmates. If I can do that better in classic then that's where I'll be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralqadar View Post
    Unless 9.0 makes some major changes I will be playing classic exclusively.
    Same here. But even if 9.0 fixes a lot of design issues from 8.x there is still the certainty of what we get in 1.12. And as someone who played back then, I know for sure I will have at least 2-3 years of enjoyment with 1.12. Between 60 raiding, PVP, twinking 19 and alts, I don't think i will have much time left for whatever 9.0 is.

Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    That's a fun tool. But, 3 hours a WEEK? That's around 25 minutes a day...
    Same class, slow leveling speed (enjoying the lore/ quests) and playing 10 hours a week, which is ~2 hours a day, 5 days a week and it still calculates not hitting 60 until May of 2020.

I think some people severely underestimate just how slow leveling from 1-60 will be in Classic or forgot how slow it was in Vanilla.

I've stopped playing Retail for good, so that wouldn't be an issue.

I've got the B.net balance and WoW tokens to make Classic free for me for the next few years...

Playing classic kind of like Diablo 3 - once a year for an hour for the nostalgia trip.

Sticking to classic 100% of the time! Can't be bothered with BFA anymore.

I will play classic, thinking of even selling one of my accounts that has 900 unique pets, 415 mounts, 26k achievements.......

90% of my wow time will be on classic from the moment the server opens, until they shut it down.

Retail wow just doesn't appeal to me that much anymore do the changes, but i'm happy for people who still play/like it and encourage that. I won't bash people for playing the WoW they enjoy.

That said, classic is my home forever.

I was going to keep my live character active and raid with my guild and just keep up that way and level and play Classic in my spare time and maybe find a casual guild to fill the time I didn't want to play live. However, my friend's wife (he's the GM/RL) kicked me for being late. I tried to explain the situation (neighbors had invited me over to their family BBQ and lost track of time) and then a bunch of other people went off on me since I had been late a few times by like 15 minutes finishing up Islands or something. I also had joined a bowling league (only lasts 10 weeks for summer) and it was making me late for Wednesday raids. Which is whatever, I was getting sick of being ripped on for everything I said and did. I don't mind when people make a joke at my expense because that's just been my life, but they got really mean or personal a lot. Which is kind of sad really since I flew out to Florida for their wedding and his dad lives near me so I hang out with him once in a while as well as his brother (who just moved away).

So now, I am just going to play Classic with my friends who are interested in coming back to the game for it. Try to find a guild or something and go from there.

Not playing modern WoW at all... Classic all the way... easy time management... if it's free gaming time... it's Classic time.

I'll be playing Classic full time when it comes out. I will try to keep up with BFA with the emmisaries and boxes, there isn't really much else that I feel that I need to do. Then when 8.3 comes out (or 8.2.5 depending on what it will deliver), I might take a small break of Classic and play some BFA.