Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Deposit on Anchor Weed scales with price?

I haven't played for some time. So I just bought some Anchor Weed and wanted to relist at a higher price, but noticed that the deposit is insane. If I want to list for the price of 140g, I have to pay 28g per auction. But worse is that the deposit increases based on the price I pick. If I want to sell one for 10000g (just as an example), the deposit is 1000g. What the hell is going on there. I've only been gone for 5 months. Why is this the case?

They changed the AH to punish people for putting up single materials instead of by stacks, because players were getting frustrated by the AH being flooded with pages upon pages of "One Anchor weed" when they want to buy a stack.

I'd have to dig a bit to find the post that explained it.

The end result though is the deposit is harsher if you're putting up a bunch of singular items of like a mat, but you get the deposit back anyway if it sells.

here it is.
    https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20767778516

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Aug 22, 2018
    To address some issues related to the Auction House, we’re reconsidering how deposits—the refundable fees you pay to list your auctions—are calculated. This fee is based on the item’s vendor price, and for profession materials in particular, vendors offer very low prices, so these mats have a low deposit cost. Deposits are substantial on items such as BoE uncommon gear, gems, and so forth, but not trade skill materials (trade goods such as cloth, ore, leather, etc.).

One thing we’ve identified as particularly troublesome is a large volume of trade skill materials being auctioned off in stacks of 1. Some addons make posting quantities of this size trivial to do, resulting in dozens, if not hundreds, of pages of auctions for a single item. As we looked at ways to change this behavior and improve the overall Auction House experience, we found that we prefer to avoid inflexible solutions such as caps on the number of listings a player can make, or increased minimum stack counts, which might interfere with many players' common gameplay habits.

Our current plan is to increase the deposit cost of some profession materials on a per-stack basis, which should provide incentive for players to post items in larger stacks.

Here's an example:

• Let’s say that a player is trying to sell 200 Tidespray Linen for 10g (gold) each. Today, each item has the normal deposit cost of 1c (copper), with a 1s (silver) minimum deposit, so 1 auction of 200 linen requires a deposit of 1s, and 200 auctions of 1 linen each adds up to a total deposit of 2g.

• Now imagine an additional 20% deposit added to the listing fee per auction. With an asking price of 10g each, that raises the deposit by 2g per stack. In the case of 1 stack of 200 linen, the total buyout price is 2000g, and the new deposit is 2g1s. In the case of 200 individual stacks, the new deposit of an additional 2g per stack brings the total deposit up to 402g.

In either case, the deposit is returned to the seller if the item sells. Successful auctions aren’t affected by this change.

Our goal is to give players some forewarning on this change, and to gather feedback. We’re putting together a list of the items that would be affected by this deposit change, which we expect to be limited to high-quantity trade goods. Furthermore, we’re deploying the change to the PTR first, so that addon authors can work through the change while we test it thoroughly.

This change will likely be a temporary measure, as we’re also working to broadly improve the default Auction House in the future. It’s clear to us that many players use addons because they find the default Auction House interface inadequate. A temporary change to deposit fees will help with this in the short term, and we’ll continue to work on overall improvements to the Auction House for a future patch.

I remember that, but this isn't about the single stacks. It's about the fact that the deposit scales with the PRICE that I pick. Why? Since when?

Quote Originally Posted by Carolus Rex View Post
    I remember that, but this isn't about the single stacks. It's about the fact that the deposit scales with the PRICE that I pick. Why? Since when?
    It says it right in the post?

Now imagine an additional 20% deposit added to the listing fee per auction. With an asking price of 10g each, that raises the deposit by 2g per stack. In the case of 1 stack of 200 linen, the total buyout price is 2000g, and the new deposit is 2g1s. In the case of 200 individual stacks, the new deposit of an additional 2g per stack brings the total deposit up to 402g.
    I'm not sure the exact percent, but it goes by the price you're trying to put it up for instead of the vendor price now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    It says it right in the post?

Now imagine an additional 20% deposit added to the listing fee per auction. With an asking price of 10g each, that raises the deposit by 2g per stack. In the case of 1 stack of 200 linen, the total buyout price is 2000g, and the new deposit is 2g1s. In the case of 200 individual stacks, the new deposit of an additional 2g per stack brings the total deposit up to 402g.
    I'm not sure the exact percent, but it goes by the price you're trying to put it up for instead of the vendor price now.
    No. The post is talking about an extra deposit for single stacks. I'm talking about the fact that the higher the price I set for an item, the higher the deposit. It doesn't matter if it's 1 stack of 100 or 100 stacks of 1. This seems to be different for different items, and for some, like glyphs, it doesn't seem to make any difference. Other items do seem to scale as well, but not as drastically.

Blizzard was too lazy to revamp the AH so they decided to punish the players instead. AND they removed the mobile auction house too. Typical blizzard.

No. The post is talking about an extra deposit for single stacks. I'm talking about the fact that the higher the price I set for an item, the higher the deposit. It doesn't matter if it's 1 stack of 100 or 100 stacks of 1. This seems to be different for different items, and for some, like glyphs, it doesn't seem to make any difference. Other items do seem to scale as well, but not as drastically.
    That was their example.

Their exact fix I forget, but it affects everything.

According to this link, it's a flat 20% charge on whatever you're listing.

https://blizzardwatch.com/2018/08/28...time-overhaul/

I wouldn't be surprised if they specifically targeted herbs/ores with it only to a higher degree.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say otherwise. The post was talking about an example, one that would affect any listing though.

So when the fix rolls out and it's percentage based, yes the higher you set a price for the item, the higher the deposit will be, due to this change.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Blizzard was too lazy to revamp the AH so they decided to punish the players instead. AND they removed the mobile auction house too. Typical blizzard.
    They literally state it is a short term solution while they work on revamping the AH and default UI.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

This is what you get when you are the kinda person who puts up stuff one by fucking one.

Because that's so much more simpler than using stacks, amirite.

15+ Year Old Account
    This seems to be different for different items, and for some, like glyphs, it doesn't seem to make any difference. Other items do seem to scale as well, but not as drastically.
    It again addresses that in the post

Our current plan is to increase the deposit cost of some profession materials on a per-stack basis, which should provide incentive for players to post items in larger stacks.
    A glyph is not a profession material but a final good. You don't really buy them in stacks.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It again addresses that in the post

A glyph is not a profession material but a final good. You don't really buy them in stacks.
    What I don't get is why, when I put up one Anchor Weed for let's say 10000g, I have to pay a deposit of 1000g, but when I put up a glyph for 50000g, I pay a silver or something. I can pick whatever price I want for my glyphs, and the deposit won't scale. For some goods it scales, but not as drastically as for Anchor Weed. How does that discourage people from putting up single auctions? This has nothing to do with single auctions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NabyBro View Post
    This is what you get when you are the kinda person who puts up stuff one by fucking one.

Because that's so much more simpler than using stacks, amirite.
    Learn to read. It has nothing to do with putting up items in stacks of 1. It's about the deposit scaling with the price.

I read your post but all I heard was "I'm an asshole, and I'm the reason the AH is such a shithole, full of fifty pages one single unit materials."
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    I read your post but all I heard was "I'm an asshole, and I'm the reason the AH is such a shithole, full of fifty pages one single unit materials."
    1. Why do you needlessly insult me?
    2. I even said I bought 2 Anchor Weed so I could relist them at a higher price. I never post things in stacks of 1. So don't assume things and don't flame needlessly.

Learn to read. It has nothing to do with putting up items in stacks of 1. It's about the deposit scaling with the price.
    No, it has everything to do with putting up items (material items, like ore herbs etc) in stacks of 1.

The price of the deposit increases based on price TO DISCOURAGE THE UNHEALTHY PRACTICE of stacks of 1 mats. This was the whole reason behind the change. I remember scrolling thru 15 pages of 1 stack Anchor Weed in 8.0 and fuck that.

If the deposit price were a set amount, no-one would give a shit about this change. It has to scale so you give a shit about it. And by the looks of it, it works.

What I don't get is why, when I put up one Anchor Weed for let's say 10000g, I have to pay a deposit of 1000g, but when I put up a glyph for 50000g, I pay a silver or something. I can pick whatever price I want for my glyphs, and the deposit won't scale. For some goods it scales, but not as drastically as for Anchor Weed. How does that discourage people from putting up single auctions? This has nothing to do with single auctions.
    Because glyphs are intended to be bought as a singular item.

Herbs/ores are not.

Quote Originally Posted by NabyBro View Post
    No, it has everything to do with putting up items (material items, like ore herbs etc) in stacks of 1.

I take 1 Anchor Weed and put it up for auction. I pick a price. If the price is 100g, the deposit is 10g. If the price is 1000g, the deposit is 100g. If the price is 10000g, the deposit is 1000g.

The deposit scales with the price, even if I only have one single Anchor Weed to create one single auction with. If I had a stack of 20 Anchor Weeds it would be exactly the same.

So the deposit seems to always be 10% of the price I set, which is horrendous, because if I wanna relist something for a higher price, I get punished with an unreasonably high deposit. This has nothing to do with the "Stacks of 1" problem.

Please refrain from posting if you can't read properly or have a hard time understanding simple things. Way too many people like you here, this is getting tiresome.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Because glyphs are intended to be bought as a singular item.

Herbs/ores are not.
    It does not matter whether I list them as a single item or not. Whether I sell 1, 5, 20 or 200, or whatever the maximum stack size is.

The problem is that the deposit scales with the price.

15+ Year Old Account
    What I don't get is why, when I put up one Anchor Weed for let's say 10000g, I have to pay a deposit of 1000g, but when I put up a glyph for 50000g, I pay a silver or something.
    For someone that is telling someone to learn to read you should maybe follow your own advice. As I said, and the blizzard post says, the deposit increase only applies to certain auction house listings. It is mainly for trade good materials. A glyph is not a material but the final product. They are also not sold/bought in stacks. There was not an issue with them being listed as single stacks instead of a stack of 200. Herbs on the other hand are exactly what this was aimed at, a trade good material, and had problems of dozens of pages of stacks of 1. Making it cumbersome for those with out addons to find the cheaper and more convenient stacks of 200.

It has everything to do with single auctions. But just single auctions of specific items.

This fee is based on the item’s vendor price, and for profession materials in particular, vendors offer very low prices, so these mats have a low deposit cost. Deposits are substantial on items such as BoE uncommon gear, gems, and so forth, but not trade skill materials (trade goods such as cloth, ore, leather, etc.).

It does not matter whether I list them as a single item or not. Whether I sell 1, 5, 20 or 200, or whatever the maximum stack size is.

The problem is that the deposit scales with the price.
    And for about the 5th time, that is intended and that is what Blizzard did to discourage you from posting singular items on the AH at all for profession items.

You keep saying like this is unintended.

But chances are, your stack of 20 anchor weed will sell while the 1 anchor weed won't.

You eat the deposit then by trying to relist the anchor weed repeatedly, but if you put 20 up and it sells instantly, you get the deposit back. Also going to double check myself now, but you keep saying you only have 1 anchor weed you're trying to sell so it doesn't seem like you're bothering to see the exact deposit on a higher stack.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    For someone that is telling someone to learn to read you should maybe follow your own advice. As I said, and the blizzard post says, the deposit increase only applies to certain auction house listings. It is mainly for trade good materials. A glyph is not a material but the final product. They are also not sold/bought in stacks. There was not an issue with them being listed as single stacks instead of a stack of 200. Herbs on the other hand are exactly what this was aimed at, a trade good material, and had problems of dozens of pages of stacks of 1. Making it cumbersome for those with out addons to find the cheaper and more convenient stacks of 200.

It has everything to do with single auctions. But just single auctions of specific items.

This fee is based on the item’s vendor price, and for profession materials in particular, vendors offer very low prices, so these mats have a low deposit cost. Deposits are substantial on items such as BoE uncommon gear, gems, and so forth, but not trade skill materials (trade goods such as cloth, ore, leather, etc.).
    I have said several times now, this applies no matter what the stack size is.

The "stacks of 1" thing is about adding an extra fee for "stacks of 1". This isn't what I am talking about. I am talking about an increased deposit fee for higher prices, punishing people for setting higher prices for no reason. This will not discourage people from posting stacks of 1, since the fee is still reasonable as long as you pick a low price. It will simply discourage people from picking high prices.

15+ Year Old Account
    The deposit scales with the price, even if I only have one single Anchor Weed to create one single auction with. If I had a stack of 20 Anchor Weeds it would be exactly the same.So the deposit seems to always be 10% of the price I set, which is horrendous, because if I wanna relist something for a higher price, I get punished with an unreasonably high deposit. This has nothing to do with the "Stacks of 1" problem.
    It has everything to do with the stacks of 1 problem.

Here's an example:

• Let’s say that a player is trying to sell 200 Tidespray Linen for 10g (gold) each. Today, each item has the normal deposit cost of 1c (copper), with a 1s (silver) minimum deposit, so 1 auction of 200 linen requires a deposit of 1s, and 200 auctions of 1 linen each adds up to a total deposit of 2g.

• Now imagine an additional 20% deposit added to the listing fee per auction. With an asking price of 10g each, that raises the deposit by 2g per stack. In the case of 1 stack of 200 linen, the total buyout price is 2000g, and the new deposit is 2g1s. In the case of 200 individual stacks, the new deposit of an additional 2g per stack brings the total deposit up to 402g.
    You get charged the fee per stack. One stack of 200 is cheaper then 200 stacks of 1. It is encouraging you to list items in larger stacks to reduce the deposit. It has worked. You might not notice a change if you use an addon but for the default UI it has made the AH bearable to use.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2019-09-14 at 07:35 PM.