Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aoyi View Post
    Final Fantasy XIV actually does this. You earn currency through achievements that can only be used for transmog, pets, mounts, music, etc. I always hoped WoW would have done similar.
    yeah, that would be great

PS: its is so strange to see some people get fanatic by liking only 1 mmo... every MMORPG is great for every MMORPG... since they all grow and get new system that then could be used in World of Warcraft.
    Example: the thing you said about Final Fantasy XIV... then Elder Scrolls online Player housing... ecc...

So as an MMORPG player everyone would be happy for others MMORPGs succsess... even if they dont play it.
    -

One Learns most when Teaching others!

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsWhimsy View Post
    Achievement Points have zero meaning other than to get the "Over 9000" Achievement. I do agree that there a WAY too many achievements these days. We got one for completing the first initial steps into Kul Tiras and Zandalar and we got one for unlocking the Heart Forge... Why??? These are irrelevant as the majority of the playerbase will do these two things already. Achievement itself has lost meaning in World of Warcraft.
    not really. yes there are trivial achievements but then there are also much harder achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    I am perfectly fine with achievements I cannot earn. I know I will never have 2500 rbg rating and I am fine with it. There is plenty wrong, however, in basing two entire sections of the game (archaeology/pet battles) on grinds just to keep them artificially relevant.

I guess I am picking at arch/battles because they are possibly the greatest offenders, but think about this: what is the purpose of archaeology nowadays apart from being a dump for hideously grindy achievements with inadequate rewards? I believe the game would benefit from it being removed. Why make it a nightmare just because there is no way to make it interesting?

I just want the boring and meaningless Grundy achievement to be a bit more forgiving in the future. For example, as I said, 2000 battles instead of 5000, or 150 digsites instead of 300.
    That really just comes down to "i don't want to do the work to get them, but still get them", for something that doesn't even give you anything but bragging rights rewards.

The rewards aren't big specificially because you're not meant to obsess over them like you do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    That really just comes down to "i don't want to do the work to get them, but still get them", for something that doesn't even give you anything but bragging rights rewards.

The rewards aren't big specificially because you're not meant to obsess over them like you do.
    I am an overachiever. I either try my best to get everything, or I lose interest quickly. I know there are a lot like me in WoW.
    These abominable achievements simply mean I would have to stop having fun to achieve as much as I can. It was fine in the past because there were fewer and I was content to focus on things I liked better, but now the grind is in every subcategory and I have pretty much stopped trying.

You are right, I don't want to do the work, because there's no reason one should actively want to pursue some of these objectives. No one has fun doing 5000 battles in a specific outdated piece of content. And while I agree I can just skip it, my gripe is that the no-fun achievement trend is very much alive and will likely continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladey Gags View Post
    You people are freaking weird. They’re achievement points. Removing achievements, and the arbitrary number related to them is removing an achievement someone received by spending time in the game. You’re such an entitled victim that you need others’ achievements removed and a barely even large number reduced so that you don’t feel overwhelmed? Guess what, when players took up achievement hunting it was OVERWHELMING. And they were rewarded for sticking through it. Grow up, people, please. You’re being granted your utterly ridiculous level squish, stop trying to ruin the things that others have achieved in this game just so you can feel more special.

But who am I kidding, Blizzard and most other companies today love you type of mindless money makers. Gotta appeal to the dumbest common denominator after all.
    You are right, thats why they make majority of content for achievments and mount farmers.

If anything was to be done to achievement points, I would transform them into some sort of currency for something silly and unnecessary as an extra incentive for bored people to have something unusual to do, perhaps.

What Blizzard needs to do with achievement points is to stop adding pointless achievements. We need more achievements that make you feel accomplished when you finally see them pop up on your screen, not ones you instantly right click to get out of your sight (I can't even count how many times I've done that since WoD). The same thing goes for mounts, pets and toys... hundreds of them each I've received or gone after just to add +1 to my count for the next milestone achievement and they've sat in my collection tabs to never see the light of day and most likely never will because they're just not worth using.
    120 | 110 | 110 | 110 | 101 | 101 | 101 | 100
    91 | 91 | 80 | 70 | 70 | 60 | 60

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    No, I like my achievements.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    I am an overachiever. I either try my best to get everything, or I lose interest quickly.
    That's more of an "all or nothing" person description, and unfortunately, wow doesn't work like that anymore, that it lets you get "all" in any field. You have to put your own boundaries. Basically the same thing as you can't get full tf socket tertiary "perfect" gear, you have to "settle" on something.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulthane View Post
    Originally the points were supposed to be used as a currency. Frankly they just need to have a vendor that sells items that are locked behind required points.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20090327...ot-coming.html

That seems to just have been a rumor or misunderstanding. I always remember it as the points being useless. It might have been mentioned as an idea but that is far from "originally planned"
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Its very intimidating when you see someone with 20k+ achievement points and you have less than 10k.
    And it will somehow be better when 20k and 10k become 200 and 100?

Yes, why not. Raid achievements could merge in one. For example when you complete achievements in Ulduar you will only get the completion note, and when you complete all of them for the given raid, you will be rewarded with 1-5 points.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    That's more of an "all or nothing" person description, and unfortunately, wow doesn't work like that anymore, that it lets you get "all" in any field. You have to put your own boundaries. Basically the same thing as you can't get full tf socket tertiary "perfect" gear, you have to "settle" on something.
    Agree 100%. That's why I was arguing against the current incarnation of the achievement model, I had a lot more fun before.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    Do you think it's time that this game had an achievement points squish? Not only are there now far too many total achievements, but most of the 'achievements' involve grinding quests X number of times and the like. There are also far too many 5 point achievements that aren't really an achievement to obtain, but are just another chore to complete.

I think that at least 50% of the achievements need to be relocated to the Legacy and Feats of Strength tab, and others need to be consolidated. Achievement points have lost all meaning with the current system.
    Achievement points are useless tho, so by default that's not a useful change, does nothing to the gameplay or quality of the game.

There isn't really a point to doing a squish for this. At all. They're just there to show how many achievements you've done, and by extension how much you've played different areas/styles of the game.

I could understand a tiny amount if we were talking about levels and item level, but even then I never really thought those squishes were necessary either. But...achievements? There isn't really a point to the achievement points in the first place. This would change absolutely nothing. There are infinite amounts of numbers that mean nothing, meaning that the number could get infinitely larger, so there's no reason to change it.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    And it will somehow be better when 20k and 10k become 200 and 100?
    Sarcasm, look it up.

It's over 500!!!

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Sarcasm, look it up.
    "haha I was just pretending to be dumb XD you fell for it XD"

yeah, sure kid

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    "haha I was just pretending to be dumb XD you fell for it XD"

yeah, sure kid
    Heh, doubling down on missing the obvious sarcasm huh? Cause, the achievement.point.io addon is a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    https://web.archive.org/web/20090327...ot-coming.html

That seems to just have been a rumor or misunderstanding. I always remember it as the points being useless. It might have been mentioned as an idea but that is far from "originally planned"
    I think i may have remembered it wrong ORRRR I remember it right but im just in the wrong timeline again :X