Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I see a few people throwing around the sentiment that blizzard just added a half-baked idea rather than going full-throttle.

I'd rather them have experimented with a new system such as island expeditions and such to test the waters than implement that in an already existing game system. As with the island expeditions, the "randomness" sounded good on paper, but how different does each expedition really feel?

Wouldn’t have a problem with this. I like the idea of a changing game dynamic. Hell I wouldn’t be opposed to an NPC group that travels around and kills people and you need to team up in the game world to kill them. Kind of like the IE groups but they are in the open world and not instanced. But they will only stay in one zone and they will get stronger as the expansion goes along just like normal players do

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewalrus2010 View Post
    I see a few people throwing around the sentiment that blizzard just added a half-baked idea rather than going full-throttle.

I'd rather them have experimented with a new system such as island expeditions and such to test the waters than implement that in an already existing game system. As with the island expeditions, the "randomness" sounded good on paper, but how different does each expedition really feel?
    There's a difference between experimentation and just throwing something at the wall and seeing if it sticks. If you don't put enough time into developing the system you're not going to get a good idea if it's even a good idea, you'll just know it failed because you didn't put enough effort into realizing the potential it had.

Island expeditions had potential, if it wasn't constrained to islands, had different themes - it could have been like diablo-esque procedural content and instead it's just...very flat. Blizzard does this a lot, similar mistake was made with Garrisons - it was just developed enough to be interesting at first but failing utterly because they didn't put enough effort into developing the interesting bits that players actually wanted - the ability to customize and design it and make it their own (nobody wanted mobile phone game of sending followers on missions).

Quote Originally Posted by Shadochi View Post
    Weren't Islands the best AP/HR at the start of 8.2? I remember guildies spamming them like crazy
    Ofc they did, its the only repearable source of ap. Still its damn little.
    If i want to level just one level on my neck. I need 135k ap. with 450ap per island thats 300 island runs... taking between 5 and 10min each thats 25-50 hours grind..
    Tbh thats too much grind for too little gain.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

Seems like a fun idea.

Now everyone knows exactly what mobs to pull and where to BL.

I would love to get that "new feeling" when entering a dungeon each time. Having to test the waters before pulling bigger packs etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    I mean you can jerk it to the Fortnite flash in the pan all you want, but for more than a decade if the media had heard of a video game, it was from Activision/Blizzard.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not even that. They don't have tactics or adapt. They don't interrupt. They don't CC. They just stand there (or maybe jump like the idiots blizzards thinks its playerbase is) and cast/melee.

- - - Updated - - -

Fun fact: do a little googling (or read on wowhead). Almost everything in island expeditions is pretty close to guaranteed to drop (ie. sub 20 attempts), but most of them require specific island and mob combinations. So yes, it looks like that sick purple Storm dragon mount has like a 1/10,000 drop chance, but that's not true because it simply WON'T drop from most islands. You need a specific island, with a specific invasion, with a specific special extra dragon mob to spawn (which doesn't always happen in that invasion), and after a handful of times of finding that special mob you will get the mount. Every mount is like this. The pets are easier. They generally just require one specific thing instead of all three; either it has to be a certain island, or a certain mob type, or a certain invasion. Mounts require the stars aligning.

If you're doing 2000+ islands without getting the item you want... you're simply doing ones where it's NEVER going to drop because you're not doing your research.
    Yeah, because I'm stupid. I've been doing more than 200 exploration just last week with a double pirate setting to farm Squawk but I'm not droping it because I haven't done my research. And if you had done your research, you would have known that the Island Exploration's drop chart has changed since 8.1. Now you only need to face the "family" that drops the item you're looking for to have a chance to drop it. You don't even need to kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewalrus2010 View Post
    As with the island expeditions, the "randomness" sounded good on paper, but how different does each expedition really feel?
    I think this is a valid criticism. But I think existing expeditions fail in one core aspect - the timer. An adventure shouldn't be a gimmick race to the end, where essentially you have people mass pulling mobs and AOEing them down.

I'd rather the NPCs be more tactically challenging and an experience that unfolds at the players' own pace. Like a true expedition. Even if it means you need some down time or need to actually plan out some CC.

That's actually a great idea

Already leaked

It's a 3 man scenario similar to well scenarios

I can't remember what it was called but it's separate from dungeons