Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    3+ Year Old Account

"It Is Not Yours To Take" Wait, What?

So, Illidan, the person who was behind things like the enslavement of the Broken, the kidnapping and forcible conversion of Mag'har Orcs into Fel Orcs, THAT Illidan, suddenly gets offended when another party wants to force something on him "for the greater good", even though he and Xera have the same goal (defeating the Legion). Wow....so much for "there is no sacrifice too great if it means the end of the Burning Legion" (note, I am NOT on Xera's side, just think its pretty ironic hearing this from Illidan).
    Last edited by Wylyth1992; 2019-08-16 at 08:54 PM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, he's an hypocrite. Which is ok, it's part of his character.

Sacrifice everything - especially the others and their things.

Blademaster
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi.
    You really think that someone like Illidan would be okay with someone screwing him over just because he screwed with people himself?
    I mean, some high school bully wouldn't tear his own jacket on purpose to make it fair for all the nerds' bags he punched in the past. It's not how it works.

Yeah - this sort of thing is why I hate the Illidan hype. I don't get the cult following.

To be fair, a lot of Illidan's showing in TBC was very, very poor...the TBC Illidan would not have talked to us after being rezzed in Nighthold - he would have either ran away because he would not trust/need us..or attack us. The "bigger" narrative of TBC was simply lacking...in a lot of ways.

But i fully agree with all of the above posts: Even considering TBC's weaknesses and ignoring some of it - Illidan is a Bully, a selfish Bully and his reaction towards Xera perfectly befits him and his flawed character. Having a flawed character is what makes him interesting and relatable, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Yeah - this sort of thing is why I hate the Illidan hype. I don't get the cult following.
    I don't understand why people shop at Hot Topic, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Issues with retconning and the holes in TBC lore. I wouldn't be surprised if we ever get any more concrete details about what happened during TBC that Illidan will be painted in a different light and there will be loads of excuses trying to justify his actions in order to make the Illidan in Legion look better.

I actually like the cutscene though. The Light is turning out to be really creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    Issues with retconning and the holes in TBC lore. I wouldn't be surprised if we ever get any more concrete details about what happened during TBC that Illidan will be painted in a different light and there will be loads of excuses trying to justify his actions in order to make the Illidan in Legion look better.

I actually like the cutscene though. The Light is turning out to be really creepy.
    You mean besides him destroying Nathreza and with the permadeath of the bulk of the dreadlords, planning to destroy Argus which would've done the same to the eredar if WE hadn't screwed it up? Him saving us from being flanked and wiped out at the Dark Portal? All that fleshing out?

Quote Originally Posted by WFD1992 View Post
    So, Illidan, the person who was behind things like the enslavement of the Broken, the kidnapping and forcible conversion of Mag'har Orcs into Fel Orcs, THAT Illidan, suddenly gets offended when another party wants to force something on him "for the greater good", even though he and Xera have the same goal (defeating the Legion). Wow....so much for "there is no sacrifice too great if it means the end of the Burning Legion" (note, I am NOT on Xera's side, just think its pretty ironic hearing this from Illidan).
    Come on, man. Cut Blizzard some slack. They had to push that stupid story in order to show us that "LiGhT gUyS aLsO bAd!!! AmAzIn PlOtTwIsT!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by WFD1992 View Post
    Isn't that how it always works in life? It's ok to do it to other people, but if someone tries to do it to you.......... For once- Blizz actually made a character realistic.

5+ Year Old Account
    Bully? Check.

Hypocrite? Check.

Emo teen-like reactions? Check.

I'd say that all of that neatly befits his depiction from WC3/BC. Blizzard often writes stuff way out of character, but this isn't the case. Which in turn, makes Illidank a lot more nuanced and relatable than anything from BfA, with its childish, Manichaean cast of Stupid Evil vs Stupid Good.

As a bonus, he had a quite neat exit from the main stage, all the more remarkable for such a central character.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

I mean, I never got too deep into the lore of Illidan, but wasn't the reason he was a demon hunter like "The only way to fight the demons is to use the demons power against them" and then we got to Legion and here's Xera like "Illidan, glad you came, here, gonna give you some non-demon power that's totally capable of fighting the demons!" and Illidan's just "NO SCREW THAT DEMON POWER FTW!"

What puzzles me more is how chill everyone else is with Illidan after what he did. Alleria, I can understand why she would not give a shit about Xe'ra after she imprisoned her. But Turalyon, Liadrin, Velen, Lothraxion, and literally any other draenei aboard the Vindicaar? They should be pissed off at Illidan for killing basically a goddess of the Light, instead they just shrug it off and are not even remotely suspicious of Illidan nor do they try to keep him under strict surveillance.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

It's not inconsistant with his ideology or personality. Everything he did in Outlnad he justifies with his goal of defeating Legion. Xera wanted to forcefully heal his scars but scars are the remainder of what he sacrificed they define him, they made him who he is and he didn't want it to be taken away.

this basic level of analysis is too smart for the story. you need to put yourself in the shoes of a dumber person. you're supposed to accept that it's epic when illidan smashes the naaru because hes taking his own destiny back but all those other things you're supposed to think are just him doing the dark things that needed to be done.

you cant just bring things like analysis to warcraft lore.

"I've sacrificed everything, mostly belonging to other people, but still."

He was acting in character, being a hypocrite.

But apparently, him just laying down and saying "Yes, I deserve this for what I've done" would've been "gOoD WRiTiNg!"...?

I really liked Illidan in TFT but they turned him into one of the most obnoxious characters in WarCraft after Legion. I was so glad when we left his ass stranded with the Pantheon hopefully lightyears from Azeroth

To be fair, if someone was surprise inserting their finger inside of your butthole and you weren't expecting it, you would probably hit back. Unless you like that kind of thing.. :P Illidan is just a little insecure and overreacted. He's still a virgin afterall... well I guess not anymore.. Imagine saying "My first was with a wind chime".. oof
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2019-08-17 at 12:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't understand. Aye yam muh skarz.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!