Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How common is two-way authentication for everyday stuff in the U.S?

How common is two-way authentication for everyday errands in the US?

In Sweden, we have "Mobilt Bank-ID", which works for nearly anything, and it's connected to your social security number. You can have it on your computer as an encrypted file, but the most common way by far is having it as an app on your phone, where you connect a PIN number to it.

Of course, not anything is 100% secure, but security has gotten so much better for the last 5 years, and since you can only connect your social security number to ONE Mobile Phone, it's not possible to log in from two phones at the same time.

All you do is put in your social security number on any website that lets you use Mobilt Bank-ID, and then it asks you to authenticate the log-in on your phone.

Doing your taxes? Log in with Mobilt Bank-ID.
    Buying a new video game? Pay through Klarna, a service that uses Mobilt Bank-ID so that all you have to do is log in for it to pay. You don't need to put in card details as it's stored securely.
    Checking your bank statement? Log in with Mobilt Bank-ID.
    Log into your profile on your ISP's home page to set up a new internet subscription? Log in with Mobilt Bank-ID.
    Book a time at the doctor? Log in with Mobilt Bank-ID.

It's so convenient, instead of having to keep track of 50 different passwords and, for your banking errands, different physical log-in devices.
    How common is this in the U.S?
    Last edited by Deathknightish; 2019-08-15 at 07:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    How nice and easy for hackers....get in once...and bam...payday...for everything. No more tedious seconds of looking for your info on the dark web...one stop shopping. No thanks. It's not common in the US and the idea would make many many laugh. Naw....keep it Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by boyzma View Post
    How nice and easy for hackers....get in once...and bam...payday...for everything. No more tedious seconds of looking for your info on the dark web...one stop shopping. No thanks. It's not common in the US and the idea would make many many laugh. Naw....keep it Sweden.
    It's extremely safe from a technical perspective, but of course it's vulnerable for fraud through social means. For instance, it's quite common for frauders to ask you to log into your bank while they try to log in at the same time, pretending to be your friend or sister in need of money. Nothing is 100% secure, but it does fill the required security requirements of Swedish authorities and banks, so it's about as safe as it can be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    How common is two-way authentication for everyday errands in the US?

In Sweden, we have "Mobilt Bank-ID", which works for nearly anything, and it's connected to your social security number. You can have it on your computer as an encrypted file, but the most common way by far is having it as an app on your phone, where you connect a PIN number to it.

Of course, not anything is 100% secure, but security has gotten so much better for the last 5 years, and since you can only connect your social security number to ONE Mobile Phone, it's not possible to log in from two phones at the same time.

All you do is put in your social security number on any website that lets you use Mobilt Bank-ID, and then it asks you to authenticate the log-in on your phone.

Doing your taxes? Log in with Mobilt Bank-ID.
    Buying a new video game? Pay through Klarna, a service that uses Mobilt Bank-ID so that all you have to do is log in for it to pay. You don't need to put in card details as it's stored securely.
    Checking your bank statement? Log in with Mobilt Bank-ID.
    Log into your profile on your ISP's home page to set up a new internet subscription? Log in with Mobilt Bank-ID.

It's so convenient, instead of having to keep track of 50 different passwords and, for your banking errands, different physical log-in devices.
    Denmark has Nem-ID, a second factor authentication for bank services, state services, healthcare services, phone services, internet services, leasing services and so on. It has proven quite secure and if you save an encrypted key on your computer, it won't work to copy directly to another - it only works on the primary computer it was copied too. Else, you can always have the approval by either A: Randomized keycode card or B: Secure Mobile App which alerts you if people try using your Nem-ID.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Seeing as we're talking about a country where:
    - cash is used by the majority of the population;
    - the majority of cards doesn't have a chip;
    - the majority of the population doesn't have an ID;

I'd expect no answer other than "not common at all".

The US is years behind most european countries in regards to adoption of technologies that make people's lives easier, simply because there is money to be made in keeping things complicated.

It's extremely safe from a technical perspective, but of course it's vulnerable for fraud through social means. For instance, it's quite common for frauders to ask you to log into your bank while they try to log in at the same time, pretending to be your friend or sister in need of money.
    People actually fall for that? I thought recognising one's siblings should not be a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    People actually fall for that? I thought recognising one's siblings should not be a challenge.
    Apparantely so. Someone will make a fake facebook account and pretend to be your <whatever>, in need of money but they need you to log into your bank to transfer. Meanwhile they have the login page ready, just needing you to log in for them.

Apparantely so. Someone will make a fake facebook account and pretend to be your <whatever>, in need of money but they need you to log into your bank to transfer. Meanwhile they have the login page ready, just needing you to log in for them.
    Still can't get my head around this one. No asking back? No discussion? No suspicion that a <family member> has a new profile that wasn't previously a Facebook friend but is suddenly asking for money?

I mean... anyone with a chance of getting money from me has my phone number and would call me in the first place.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Still can't get my head around this one. No asking back? No discussion? No suspicion that a <family member> has a new profile that wasn't previously a Facebook friend but is suddenly asking for money?

I mean... anyone with a chance of getting money from me has my phone number and would call me in the first place.
    It is not that uncommon here in the US for elderly people esp. to get a phone call from someone claiming to be from the Social Security Office and say there has been a security breech and unless they call a certain number, they will have their SS frozen. Enough fall for it. I have had such calls recently, like half a dozen this year.

One reason I am for our SS numbers to never be used for anything, except SS purposes.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by treclolx View Post

The US is years behind most european countries in regards to adoption of technologies that make people's lives easier, simply because there is money to be made in keeping things complicated.
    And you are from where again? All 3 of your statements are false...no...all 4.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account

Yeah, same here. There's only a very small handful of people I'd trust with money loans anyway, but if any of those people ever asked me for money, it'd either be over the phone or in person. And even then, all of those people live close to me, so I'd be physically handing them the money. I'd be extremely suspicious if any of them started asking me to transfer money online (and at the very least, I'd verify with a phone call before anything happened).

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    How does the majority drive if they don't have an ID?
    "We Choose Truth over Facts" - Joe Biden
    "You're too old to vote for me" - Joe Biden

We need to completely demolish MAGAFT

So somehow they get your bank details, and then your bank password, and then get access to an app that exists only on your phone or PC, and get the password for that app, and somehow that's easy? What kinda special fucking case are you?

10+ Year Old Account
    2FA depends on the business you're working with.

Most federal institutions use some form of 2FA.

My bank uses it but a lot of it is elective. Same thing for online services.

People trade security for convenience.

- - - Updated - - -

Its designed to fool the old and naive.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    2FA depends on the business you're working with.

Most federal institutions use some form of 2FA.

My bank uses it but a lot of it is elective. Same thing for online services.

People trade security for convenience.

- - - Updated - - -

Its designed to fool the old and naive.
    Individual 2FA systems are granted, but what Mobilt Bank-ID is, essentially, is one system for everything. Instead of each separate bank, authority etc. having their own, there's one countrywide system for all companies and authorities who wish to use it.

This couldn't be more wrong, Thorpalorp. The majority almost certainly use debit cards at the very least, and if you've received a card in at least the past 4 years or so, you got a chip on it.

To your next point, Yerthquarth, almost the entire adult population have some kind of ID.

And finally, Thrackapar, there's absolutely no proof that companies keep things complicated because reasons.

Just about everything I use gives me the option to use it if I want to. Not required though.

I am glad I don't even know my SS number by heart, that bitch is a secret even to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    So somehow they get your bank details, and then your bank password, and then get access to an app that exists only on your phone or PC, and get the password for that app, and somehow that's easy? What kinda special fucking case are you?
    Never been hacked or know someone that's been hacked? Lucky you /s. Once you know the joy of being hacked and having all your info stolen maybe then you should open your mouth. News flash Einstein....they have no need for a friggin phone app once they have your info....they can have anything they want if they're even semi good at hacking. Go on the dark web and search for your own name....I'm sure you'll be surprised.

Never been hacked or know someone that's been hacked? Lucky you /s. Once you know the joy of being hacked and having all your info stolen maybe then you should open your mouth. News flash Einstein....they have no need for a friggin phone app once they have your info....they can have anything they want if they're even semi good at hacking. Go on the dark web and search for your own name....I'm sure you'll be surprised.
    So you've got no fucking clue of what you're talking about and are here because you're too clueless to realise that even?