Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lightbulb So I'm doing a University Project on Classic WoW.

I was only given 2min to get in the info I needed to pitch my project, so I'm aware that there is some information left out that would have been beneficial.

Any and all feedback is appreciated <3

https://youtu.be/oi5mIFYipMQ

What is the project for, other than "university". Is it a semester long assignment? or a thesis? I'm just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Yumili View Post
    What is the project for, other than "university". Is it a semester long assignment? or a thesis? I'm just curious.
    I plan to focus on this project for the remainder of the year, then depending on traction across platforms, continue it! It might be apart of a thesis in the future, we'll have to wait and see :P

Can you summarise anything about it for people who don't want to watch a video

Quote Originally Posted by Kanadei View Post
    Can you summarise anything about it for people who don't want to watch a video
    I mean sure haha

In short, I'm looking at the social dynamic that the announcement and release of Classic WoW has created within the player-base. Trying my best to stay unbiased and focusing my attention on the fact that we're all fans of the same franchise. Along with the fact that the WoW community is an extremely passionate group of people!

Do you have any plans of trying to quantify your data? What are you trying to prove or disprove? How do you defend the legitimacy of your source of data, live streams? (honestly I feel like this is a niche sect of the gaming world and often has an echo chamber effect)
    Last edited by Zylos; 2019-08-16 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zylos View Post
    Do you have any plans of trying to quantify your data? What are you trying to prove or disprove? How do you defend the legitimacy of your source of data, live streams? (honestly I feel like this is a niche sect of the gaming world and often has an echo chamber effect)
    You're right about the echo chamber effect.
    My goal is to offer information, that leads to discussion. My aim is to better understand the clearly passionate WoW community and the dynamic shifts that an event like the release of Classic WoW will cause. Is a broad approach to a very niche topic.

Hope you arent getting too much in debt for that “wow” degree. Will sure be useful in the real world out there

I have some questions. What is your qualification to do such an analysis? Are you a phd or master student in a related field to human behavior analysis like psychology or ethology? What makes you so confident that Blizzard changed their opinion based on community behaviour and not on data analysis? To be honest your thesis seems very biased because your question already contains the assumtion that the community feedback lead to the release of classic. I think you should start with a more basic question and ask why did they change their mind. However, how do you think you can analyze the whole situation without having access to Blizzards internal data? Just using puplic information seems to one sided and would lead to wrong results.

Gl with your work

Quote Originally Posted by nycnyc88 View Post
    Hope you arent getting too much in debt for that “wow” degree. Will sure be useful in the real world out there
    Good thing it isn't a 'wow' degree

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Krupstahl View Post
    I have some questions. What is your qualification to do such an analysis? Are you a phd or master student in a related field to human behavior analysis like psychology or ethology? What makes you so confident that Blizzard changed their opinion based on community behaviour and not on data analysis? To be honest your thesis seems very biased because your question already contains the assumtion that the community feedback lead to the release of classic. I think you should start with a more basic question and ask why did they change their mind. However, how do you think you can analyze the whole situation without having access to Blizzards internal data? Just using puplic information seems to one sided and would lead to wrong results.

Gl with your work
    The focus is on community behavior. I'm not after concrete answers, I'm exploring with WoW as a case study.

Quote Originally Posted by nycnyc88 View Post
    Because doing a project on a subject translates to someone majoring in it. Guess i'm a genders study major now because of a project I had to do during an English class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

this is the eyeroll speech that everyone remembers and no one talks about from their comms 101 class.

Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    this is the eyeroll speech that everyone remembers and no one talks about from their comms 101 class.
    Ooh god no! My first years subjects were much less involved and 100% more cringe-worthy

Quote Originally Posted by Harisun View Post
    Ooh god no! My first years subjects were much less involved and 100% more cringe-worthy
    less involved than a single paper about a subject wherein you only have to recount your observations?

yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    less involved than a single paper about a subject wherein you only have to recount your observations?

yikes.
    Big yikes

Brb dropping out of Uni.

It’s always risky doing stuff that involves talking about video games when looking at uni work. It’s such a first world issue that really not important that it really is one of those things people will just forget. Why not look at something more real world and of more importance, such as social aspects of community’s after terrorists attacks or natural disasters and how communities and people come together than and how it essentially changes social structures? At the end of the day if a potential employer or even a peer (if you’re applying for another programme) asks what kind of work you did (especially if it’s led to a thesis, which isn’t a rare thing to be a part of at uni) and you tell them it was about a video game what do you think their reaction will be? Momentary interest or something that shows you’re thinking about the wider world and something a lot less superficial? There’s plenty of more interesting subjects and real world topics to look at, and your education is something that’s supposed to benefit you and help you explore new areas rather than the opposite.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'd suggest you somehow put it into a context of sorts.

Kinda like how the Corrupted Blood incident caught the eyes of people studying real life epidemics https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrupted_Blood_incident

I'm guessing/hoping your project is about human behaviour and that using a pc game as an example is just that - an example

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    It’s always risky doing stuff that involves talking about video games when looking at uni work. It’s such a first world issue that really not important that it really is one of those things people will just forget. Why not look at something more real world and of more importance, such as social aspects of community’s after terrorists attacks or natural disasters and how communities and people come together than and how it essentially changes social structures? At the end of the day if a potential employer or even a peer (if you’re applying for another programme) asks what kind of work you did (especially if it’s led to a thesis, which isn’t a rare thing to be a part of at uni) and you tell them it was about a video game what do you think their reaction will be? Momentary interest or something that shows you’re thinking about the wider world and something a lot less superficial? There’s plenty of more interesting subjects and real world topics to look at, and your education is something that’s supposed to benefit you and help you explore new areas rather than the opposite.
    I appreciate your point!
    Although I'd argue that as the world becomes increasingly digital; exploring online communities is just as important. This can then lead on to analyzing online behaviors surrounding events such as real world disasters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bildur View Post
    I'd suggest you somehow put it into a context of sorts.

Kinda like how the Corrupted Blood incident caught the eyes of people studying real life epidemics https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrupted_Blood_incident

I'm guessing/hoping your project is about human behaviour and that using a pc game as an example is just that - an example
    Indeed

WoW is just my case study, who knows where analyzing community behaviors online will take me in the rest of my degree!

7+ Year Old Account
    I appreciate your point!
    Although I'd argue that as the world becomes increasingly digital; exploring online communities is just as important. This can then lead on to analyzing online behaviors surrounding events such as real world disasters.

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed

WoW is just my case study, who knows where analyzing community behaviors online will take me in the rest of my degree!
    Hopefully a long way. Human behaviour is always a very interesting and evolving topic. I wish you the best of luck

I appreciate your point!

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed

you should, is the point being made.