Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    The deficit is not a yearly budget... it’s how much money is added to our debt every year. Your suggestion is to increase the deficit by 20% and have a new territory to support.
    So 20% of what we spend every year? Its still an amazing deal lol

Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    So 20% of what we spend every year? Its still an amazing deal lol
    Think the only way you might get Greenland is to actually declare war on them to conquer them.... but then you will be dragged into a war with Denmark... and from there many other countries.. basically playing into the hopes of Putin-san.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    actually.. its still a part (autonomous almost fully, apart from government and defense) of Denmark. And the Greenlanders basically already said: ''no''.

Denmark does need Greenland.... *blubblubblub* ... So....... lets merge the dutch and the danes together in Greenland. Language will be dutch-danish!
    I demand an official referendum supervised by 100k US troops so we can be sure its fair and free of dane imperialist influence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Why would they say yes? They can see what’s happening in Puerto Rico...
    you don't even need PR as an example, Denmark has some of the highest standards of living in the world. Give that up to get what benefits from the US? Lose healthcare? Labour rights? Safety nets? For what? They would sooner be fully independent.

I'm surprised he even thought of buying it, rather than invade and take what they want, as was his idea for oil in the middle east for exxon.

It would fucking rule if we did that. 200 billion dollars is like a 100 years their gdp. Their population is 55k, so they cant really oppose.

- - - Updated - - -

Hawai got repredentation.

Most states that dont have statehood do so on their own will.
    States always have statehood, per definition. Territories though, less so. Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia have the biggest statehood movements, but have been denied so far. These two already account for over 90% of the full population of the territories and the DoC. Yes, the smallest territories, i.e. those hovering around the 100k mark have not sought statehood, so technically the majority of territories has not sought statehood, but the majority of taxed, yet not properly represented people certainly has. If Greenland was taken over, they would certainly not get statehood either.
    It has been made harder to achieve statehood after the inclusion of Alaska and Hawaii. It's pretty much entirely up to the whims of the US congress whether or not a territory can become a state, even if said territories want that. And since giving statehood to a territory has a substantial effect on the balance of power, that is purely a game of politics at that point.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean really, if the US wants something we have the money to throw at it, and while throwing troops and bombs at things is also fun(sarcasm alert!) it'd probably be cheaper if we just offered to buy people's countries.

I mean, we spent somewhere in the realm of 5 TRILLION dollars on the was in Iraq. That's like, ~120 bucks for every person who lives there. Think if we offered them 5 trillion they'd have just sold it?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    States always have statehood, per definition. Territories though, less so. Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia have the biggest statehood movements, but have been denied so far. These two already account for over 90% of the full population of the territories and the DoC. Yes, the smallest territories, i.e. those hovering around the 100k mark have not sought statehood, so technically the majority of territories has not sought statehood, but the majority of taxed, yet not properly represented people certainly has. If Greenland was taken over, they would certainly not get statehood either.
    It has been made harder to achieve statehood after the inclusion of Alaska and Hawaii. It's pretty much entirely up to the whims of the US congress whether or not a territory can become a state, even if said territories want that. And since giving statehood to a territory has a substantial effect on the balance of power, that is purely a game of politics at that point.
    PR doesnt want to be a state and much of the islands in the pacific dont want to either since they get autonomy from certain federal laws like equal access to land owbership and whatnot.

IIRC the last referendum had 96% of support but never reaches a 50% representation of the pr voting elegible population.

Are we going to put it on the credit card, like everything else?

PR doesnt want to be a state and much of the islands in the pacific dont want to either since they get autonomy from certain federal laws like equal access to land owbership and whatnot.

IIRC the last referendum had 96% of support but never reaches a 50% representation of the pr voting elegible population.
    The 2012 referendum did. There was a higher turnout, with a majority rejecting the territorial status. But the results were not clear enough for the mainland, so they said that another referendum had to be held, which then got delayed for 5 years. And that was 24 years after the last referendum, where there was apparently so much confusion about the options presented that a majority just voted "none of the above" and they just decided to do nothing at all.

While turnout was indeed low during that referendum, that was in part due to the status quo side boycotting it in general and claiming that it was rigged from the start. It's been pretty muddied, but no effort to clear up the situation has been made - simply because despite the result, the territory side just wins by default is nothing happens.

So no, referendi there did reach more than 50% turnout before, but not the one you picked. Unless you are talking about more than 50% of eligible voters being in favor of statehood, which is an odd concept in general, especially when the US president is voted in by less about 25-30% of eligible voters

In reality, he just wants to see how big he can explode the deficit. it pisses him off that Bush Jr. had the biggest deficit, and Trump really wants to be the best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    The sad part is that I can see that as being a reason for Trump to want to buy Greenland lol Exactly as pathetic as one would expect from him.
    It’s the same as the wall... he needs a monument to Trump Organization and will make the tax payer pay for it.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    The sad part is that I can see that as being a reason for Trump to want to buy Greenland lol Exactly as pathetic as one would expect from him.
    I genuinely think that a person could convince Trump and his "conservative" followers that bigger deficits means a better economy. "You have to spend money to make money."

As an actual small-government conservative, I'm still flabbergasted at the sheer dissonance and lack of consistency among Trump and his ilk. Just when you think things couldn't get any more hypocritical... they manage to surprise you.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedrielle View Post
    I'm surprised he even thought of buying it, rather than invade and take what they want, as was his idea for oil in the middle east for exxon.
    USA once purchased Alaska this way, it was the ultimate bargain by today's standards.

Its not on denmark to decide. Its entirely on Greenland. Self determination is a bitch, I know.

They will "never" be independent becuse Denmark is a free western country, if seperatists start to make real claim, the Danish will smother them with new privileges and rights for Greenlanders.
    Last edited by Fantomen; 2019-08-16 at 04:30 PM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Lol.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/15/polit...nal/index.html

Would be interested in hearing what citizens of Greenland think of this.
    Deplorable adorableness. I'm sure he'll bankrupt it, too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    USA once purchased Alaska this way, it was the ultimate bargain by today's standards.
    Solid point. Not going to happen in this case, however, as most/all land is already claimed/bought. Plus, this being Cheeto, even if it was possible, he'd still fuck it up.

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    That was when land was cheap and wasn't traded as a commodity. Buying Greenland would be a sunk cost, even if all parties were interested in doing so.

Trump should know this so can only assume that he wants the land so he can build an underground dungeon/evil lair/golf course.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    That was when land was cheap and wasn't traded as a commodity. Buying Greenland would be a sunk cost, even if all parties were interested in doing so.

Trump should know this so can only assume that he wants the land so he can build an underground dungeon/evil lair/golf course.
    lot of valuable ressouces in and around Greenland, but that's common knowledge. Greenland would be so expensive Trump would run out of space on the cheque in seconds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Are we going to put it on the credit card, like everything else?
    When you math out the 2% cash back on any purchase, it's a lot more appealing

I look forward to a new era of American imperialism and colonialism.

I'm sure we can afford all these additional expenses on top of our mounting annual deficits and blowing up debt.