Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I look forward to a new era of American imperialism and colonialism.

I'm sure we can afford all these additional expenses on top of our mounting annual deficits and blowing up debt.
    Surely real life is exactly like a game of Civilization and will easily pay for itself in a couple of turns (decades).

But where are we going to put it? The only room large enough is the living room and it does NOT match the furniture in there.

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    USA once purchased Alaska this way, it was the ultimate bargain by today's standards.
    Its not the first time the us bought from denmark. It got the virgin islands this way

First of all, people in Greenland govern their own territory! secondly I think they will have a referendum for independence in 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    That was when land was cheap and wasn't traded as a commodity. Buying Greenland would be a sunk cost, even if all parties were interested in doing so.

Trump should know this so can only assume that he wants the land so he can build an underground dungeon/evil lair/golf course.
    That and denmark isn't currently in an expensive war they need to sell greenland to pay for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

What would the hypothetical future value be of the huge amounts of natural resources in Greenland?

Pay up now Donny, destroy your country.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    He asked the White House staff to look into it. White House staff resources have been spent, at direction of Trump, to research buying Greenland. Can you think of anything else that these resources could be better spent, with a trillion dollar deficit looming?

Edit: When I heard it yesterday, I thought this was about some stupid tweet. But, he actually had White House resources look into the possibility.
    Its worse than that. The aides investigating the purchase don't know if Trump is being serious or not. That's what's got me.

Trump likes to make comments like these, like say certain journalists being enemies of the people and needing to die... but then when someone tortures, dismembers and kills the journalist, he gets to decide later whether he was joking or not.

Words have consequences, especially those coming from the White House. When the President says something, there should be no question of whether he's joking or not. People *literally* live and die by those 'jokes'.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Isn't he supposed to be building a wall, or something?
    He did keep tweeting The Wall from Game of Thrones right? And what does Greenland have lots of?

Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    Its not the first time the us bought from denmark. It got the virgin islands this way
    Looks like no one is selling besides Greenland has much better standard living than the US, I doubt they want to live by US standards. This is just Trump wanting more white people as US citizens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Denmark didn't sell the last time the US wanted to buy Greenland from them, why would they now?

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Every day I get more reason to believe my suspicion he has an IQ around 80.
    by buying a land extremely reach in very rare resources?? And Uranium?? hmmmm It reminds me of AOC cohorts when they were askt a question if they understand what profit is ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ashina View Post
    What would the hypothetical future value be of the huge amounts of natural resources in Greenland?
    Well, as someone (I think Breccia) pointed out, those huge amounts of natural resources are themselves largely hypothetical (to say nothing of how to hypothetically extract them from beneath 2km of ice).

Maybe he watched Game of Thrones and had the bright idea that he could make his wall out of ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Looks like no one is selling besides Greenland has much better standard living than the US, I doubt they want to live by US standards. This is just Trump wanting more white people as US citizens.
    Say the US offers a 200 billion dollars. That is roughly 4 million each for every inhabitant in Greenland. They'd be the fucking 1 percent

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    USA once purchased Alaska this way, it was the ultimate bargain by today's standards.
    Yeah, and for the longest time, until later oil and gold was found, people thought, it was one of the worst deals, the USA could make. It was, when bought, believed, to be just a worthless landmass, having some bears roaming around and nothing else.

Say the US offers a 200 billion dollars. That is roughly 4 million each for every inhabitant in Greenland. They'd be the fucking 1 percent
    And say the moon is made of cheese.

Well tough luck, laws prevent him from buying it.

They do not own Greenland, and would not get the 200 billion dollars. That money would go to Denmark...

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    And say the moon is made of cheese.
    The US federal budget is 3.8 trillion dollars. 200 billion dollars is less than 10% of that budget. Its not out of reach for the US to afford that and its roughly a 100 years their GDP so its not exactly a bad deal either.

Buying Greenland is actually pretty good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by josykay View Post
    They do not own Greenland, and would not get the 200 billion dollars. That money would go to Denmark...
    Declare independence, cash in 200 billion dollars

They could literally become millionaires from one day to the other, what can Denmark offer that could reach 4 million dollars for each citizen?

The US federal budget is 3.8 trillion dollars. 200 billion dollars is less than 10% of that budget. Its not out of reach for the US to afford that and its roughly a 100 years their GDP so its not exactly a bad deal either.

Buying Greenland is actually pretty good.

- - - Updated - - -

Declare independence, cash in 200 billion dollars

They could literally become millionaires from one day to the other, what can Denmark offer that could reach 4 million dollars for each citizen?
    Denmark isn't going to sell because they know that northern real estate is going to be a commodity worth infinitely more than the rarest precious metal in the next few decades due to global warming. And that isn't even accounting for the value of any natural resources.

Trump sounds like a used car salesman hoping to score a deal.